Orlando Sanchez - PF - Monroe CC - Nagua, DR - ST. JOHN'S

• 864 replies

derk

Re: Orlando Sanchez - PF - Monroe CC - Nagua, DR - ST. JOHN'S
« Reply #440 on: May 24, 2012, 08:46:02 PM »
And P.S. wish Orlando happy birthday as he will be 24 on Saturday.

TONYD3

« Reply #441 on: May 24, 2012, 08:52:00 PM »
I thought he was gifted offensively? A few pages back I asked if he was as good as brown lee? People that saw him said that was a good comparison.

« Reply #442 on: May 24, 2012, 09:05:22 PM »
I thought he was gifted offensively? A few pages back I asked if he was as good as brown lee? People that saw him said that was a good comparison.

The kid can ball. 

Moose

« Reply #443 on: May 24, 2012, 09:27:17 PM »

If everyone told you the sky was blue and one person told you it was green, would you immediately forget all those who told you the sky was blue?
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #444 on: May 24, 2012, 09:32:51 PM »

Wow.

Chilleb

« Reply #445 on: May 24, 2012, 10:19:51 PM »

Wow.
Man amongst boys

« Reply #446 on: May 24, 2012, 10:23:09 PM »
At least we know who can make the beer runs for parties

crgreen

« Reply #447 on: May 24, 2012, 11:34:07 PM »
At least we know who can make the beer runs for parties

And we know Amir can pick up the tab!

Marillac

« Reply #448 on: May 24, 2012, 11:50:12 PM »
Sanchez is picked to have the greatest impact of any Juco according to Yahoo!

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ncaab--junior-college-transfers-big-impact-big-east-sec-next-season.html

Really good write-up all around.  Never heard of that guy prior but impressed with that article.

I agree.  He showed an awesome handle on basketball and knowledge of the Johnnies.  It's sad that this guy is more in tune with STJ than Robbins and co. 
FWIW, Sanchez was selected over Kentucky's Eloy Vargas for the Dominican team last year.  That says something because Cal was Vargas' coach at the time.  The Dominican team was loaded:  Luis Flores, Ronald Ramon, Edgar Sosa, Charlie Villanueva, Al Horford, Francisco Garcia, and their second leading scorer and leading rebounder, Jack Martinez, is a Ben Wallace clone.  Sanchez was fifth on the depth chart for the bigs (after 3 NBA guys and Martinez), and eighth overall.  Cal said he selected him becuase of his ability to defend multiple positions.  He played 10 mpg, playing in every game but one, and averaged 2.3 points 2.1 boards, .4 blocks, and .3 assists.  I'd be ecstatic if he gave us 3x that this coming season:  7.3 point, 6.2 boards, 1.2 blocks, and .9 assists.  Although I really feel like he could around 2.5 blocks or more in the zone.

Sanchez was just selected again for the 23-man preliminary Olympic squad for the Dominican.  This time he will have to face even steeper competition with guys like Sammy Mejia (Depaul),
Ricardor Greer (Pitt), and Josh Asselin (Michigan) around.  If he makes the final cut that is really saying something.

pmg911

« Reply #449 on: May 25, 2012, 01:16:54 PM »

26 when he finishes his time at SJU, yikes.

Moose

« Reply #450 on: May 25, 2012, 01:32:15 PM »

Why yikes?
Do we know why he's older?  Odds are the Dominican Republic wasn't exactly pumping out Rhodes Scholars with their curriculum.

paultzman

« Reply #451 on: May 25, 2012, 01:34:17 PM »

Why yikes?
Do we know why he's older?  Odds are the Dominican Republic wasn't exactly pumping out Rhodes Scholars with their curriculum.

Be careful, PMG will research his high school grades!
Only kidding PMG!

crgreen

« Reply #452 on: May 25, 2012, 02:44:51 PM »
Sanchez is picked to have the greatest impact of any Juco according to Yahoo!

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ncaab--junior-college-transfers-big-impact-big-east-sec-next-season.html

Really good write-up all around.  Never heard of that guy prior but impressed with that article.

I agree.  He showed an awesome handle on basketball and knowledge of the Johnnies.  It's sad that this guy is more in tune with STJ than Robbins and co. 
FWIW, Sanchez was selected over Kentucky's Eloy Vargas for the Dominican team last year.  That says something because Cal was Vargas' coach at the time.  The Dominican team was loaded:  Luis Flores, Ronald Ramon, Edgar Sosa, Charlie Villanueva, Al Horford, Francisco Garcia, and their second leading scorer and leading rebounder, Jack Martinez, is a Ben Wallace clone.  Sanchez was fifth on the depth chart for the bigs (after 3 NBA guys and Martinez), and eighth overall.  Cal said he selected him becuase of his ability to defend multiple positions.  He played 10 mpg, playing in every game but one, and averaged 2.3 points 2.1 boards, .4 blocks, and .3 assists.  I'd be ecstatic if he gave us 3x that this coming season:  7.3 point, 6.2 boards, 1.2 blocks, and .9 assists.  Although I really feel like he could around 2.5 blocks or more in the zone.

Sanchez was just selected again for the 23-man preliminary Olympic squad for the Dominican.  This time he will have to face even steeper competition with guys like Sammy Mejia (Depaul),
Ricardor Greer (Pitt), and Josh Asselin (Michigan) around.  If he makes the final cut that is really saying something.

The Dominican team also has a terrific f/c named Jack Martinez.   Went to Artesian High School in  Los Angeles with Jason Kapono, and many thought he was the BETTER prospect.  But it turned out he was illegally "recruited" to high school, imigrating on his brother's passport, and he was deported. So rather than playing with Kapono for UCLA, he simply turned pro in the Dominican.  At the Pan American games last year (might have been the year before) he and Al Horford inside were dominant for the Dominican team.   If Sanchez makes that final cut, that'd be a heckuv an accomplishment.

ras

« Reply #453 on: May 25, 2012, 02:45:23 PM »
This has probably been answered previously. Im assuming he will be on the Dominican olympic team. Is that a correct assupmtiom?

ras

« Reply #454 on: May 25, 2012, 02:46:38 PM »
Sorry I see the previous post answered my question.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2012, 02:49:33 PM by ras »

« Reply #455 on: May 25, 2012, 03:02:53 PM »
Frankly, I see it is a plus that he is older than most of the people he'll be playing against.

desco80

« Reply #456 on: May 25, 2012, 03:30:49 PM »
Frankly, I see it is a plus that he is older than most of the people he'll be playing against.

Yea, I don't see that as a negative either.  If we were talking about his future potential, i'd say he probably has a lower ceiling than some other guys since he's already more physically mature.    But he's only going to be here for two years.  And realistically, physical maturity and experience generally are two things we sorely lack. 

I also think you that was a very wise comment Moose, when you said:
"He played 10 mpg, playing in every game but one, and averaged 2.3 points 2.1 boards, .4 blocks, and .3 assists.  I'd be ecstatic if he gave us 3x that this coming season:  7.3 point, 6.2 boards, 1.2 blocks, and .9 assists.  Although I really feel like he could around 2.5 blocks or more in the zone."

That sounds like realistic expectations, comparable to what Amir gave us last season, but a few more boards, and more of a shot blocking threat. 
I'm excited about Orlando, I think he's going to be a nice player for us. 

Two things that I would point out though, one an observation from seeing his games online, and the other based on box scores..
He's not a back-to the basket offensive player.  At least he hasn't shown that yet.   So while I think he can guard the post without much problem, people shouldn't expect him to be post-up guy on the other side of the floor.  And, of a more direct concern, he's not quite automatic from the foul line.  %60 at Monroe (with no crowds to speak of).    So, obviously that's not the worst thing in the world - but it is a concern when Dom and Amir both under-perform from the line as well.   Team foul shooting will continue to be an issue it looks like.

But generally, we're lucky to have Orlando, I think having him and Amir on the court at the same time, and a real pg when Branch is ready.. will really open up our offense and get the ball moving.   Have a feeling Dunlap has been dieing for some guys with court vision.   

Moose

« Reply #457 on: May 25, 2012, 03:33:48 PM »

Yea, I don't see that as a negative either.  If we were talking about his future potential, i'd say he probably has a lower ceiling than some other guys since he's already more physically mature.    But he's only going to be here for two years.  And realistically, physical maturity and experience generally are two things we sorely lack. 

I also think you that was a very wise comment Moose, when you said:
"He played 10 mpg, playing in every game but one, and averaged 2.3 points 2.1 boards, .4 blocks, and .3 assists.  I'd be ecstatic if he gave us 3x that this coming season:  7.3 point, 6.2 boards, 1.2 blocks, and .9 assists.  Although I really feel like he could around 2.5 blocks or more in the zone."

That sounds like realistic expectations, comparable to what Amir gave us last season, but a few more boards, and more of a shot blocking threat. 
I'm excited about Orlando, I think he's going to be a nice player for us. 

Two things that I would point out though, one an observation from seeing his games online, and the other based on box scores..
He's not a back-to the basket offensive player.  At least he hasn't shown that yet.   So while I think he can guard the post without much problem, people shouldn't expect him to be post-up guy on the other side of the floor.  And, of a more direct concern, he's not quite automatic from the foul line.  %60 at Monroe (with no crowds to speak of).    So, obviously that's not the worst thing in the world - but it is a concern when Dom and Amir both under-perform from the line as well.   Team foul shooting will continue to be an issue it looks like.

But generally, we're lucky to have Orlando, I think having him and Amir on the court at the same time, and a real pg when Branch is ready.. will really open up our offense and get the ball moving.   Have a feeling Dunlap has been dieing for some guys with court vision.   

Thanks for the compliment but Marillac said that :)  Don't inflate his ego more ;)

« Reply #458 on: May 25, 2012, 06:14:00 PM »
Wasn't some guy just drafted in the nfl a qb or something who was like 28 ?

« Reply #459 on: May 25, 2012, 06:30:55 PM »
Wasn't some guy just drafted in the nfl a qb or something who was like 28 ?

Yes Brandon Weeden is 28 drafted by the Browns.