Why Moe going pro is a positive for STJ

• 118 replies

Poison

Re: Why Moe going pro is a positive for STJ
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2012, 05:16:32 PM »
This is a positive for SJ if they reload. If they don't, it's a disaster.

I think everyone will be happy with how they reload.
All along Lav has said 13 is the big year though.  But if the reloading comes to fruition Lav will not be announcing next year on CBS.

Even if Lavin reloads, we are reloading a 13 win team. When Kentucky and SU do it, they are adding a team that was good. While we showed potential, we were awful this year.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 08:05:13 PM by Poison »

Moose

« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2012, 05:44:53 PM »
This is a positive for SJ if they reload. If they don't, it's a disaster.

All along Lav has said 13 is the big year though.  But if the reloading comes to fruition Lav will not be announcing next year on CBS.

Even Lavin reloads, we are reloading a 13 win team. When Kentucky and SU do it, they are adding a team that was good. While we showed potential, we were awful this year.

I don't think we need to hash out how the now soph's won't lose games like they did early this year after a years of experience and adding good players into the fold to allow them to run more, take more risks, get more rest, etc....  A lot of factors like schedule and the rest of the BE come into play but again if the pieces that it looks like come thru, we will be fine.
Remember who broke the Slice news

desco80

« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2012, 06:37:49 PM »

Right now I don't see us as  a tourney team. I think we will struggle next year. As we  just saw even talented frosh will struggle. Even if the BE is watered down a bit next season.

We're not "reloading" though.  We've lost one player, albeit an important one.   I don't think we're going to be world beaters, but there is a possibility we could be pretty good.   

A lot depends on what the rest of the class looks like.   If it's Chandler and Morris... we're a significantly better team than we were this season. 
But Amir and Dom will need to take big steps forward.   I think that's the key (assuming Lavin signs a big man or two).

Moose

« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2012, 06:43:50 PM »

Right now I don't see us as  a tourney team. I think we will struggle next year. As we  just saw even talented frosh will struggle. Even if the BE is watered down a bit next season.

We're not "reloading" though.  We've lost one player, albeit an important one.   I don't think we're going to be world beaters, but there is a possibility we could be pretty good.   

A lot depends on what the rest of the class looks like.   If it's Chandler and Morris... we're a significantly better team than we were this season. 
But Amir and Dom will need to take big steps forward.   I think that's the key (assuming Lavin signs a big man or two).

Still 3-4 more likely bodies coming in.

Marillac

« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2012, 06:45:47 PM »
Moe shot 21% from three and 67% from the line.  Give those treys to Bourgault and divide those FT's between guys that can average about 75% and it mitigates any change Moe would have over Sampson.  JS also has an extra year of seasoning at the prep level.

Also, Moe is mostly potential at this point.  He will be a first-rounder based on how good he can be, not for how good he is.  He played out of position at the four and the five.  We have five guys coming back bigger stronger than they were last year.  We also add five-six new guys...as many as four guys that have anywhere from one to three years after high school.

We'll be bigger, deeper, more athletic...with better rebounding and shooting.  This team will be great.

« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2012, 06:50:18 PM »
Don't care much for Rothstein, too over the top, but agree with his statement. That said, don't think JaKarr can rebound as well IMO.

“@JonRothstein: JaKarr Sampson should step in seamlessly for Moe Harkless next season. Should be better defensively, too. Think Chris Singleton.”

I really like it when he starts commenting on the Italian Food along Arthur Ave in the Bronx.... MINT....!!

Yeah, I heard the Scarpariello wings are fantastic... :2funny:
I wonder if he has the Arthur Ave cookbook, or just eats out all the time...  ::)

desco80

« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2012, 07:02:47 PM »

Still 3-4 more likely bodies coming in.

"bodies" ?   Or guys who can be part of the rotation right away?   
I'm guessing you're referring to a combination of both. 

lihoop

« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2012, 07:05:03 PM »
any good surprises as far as who will sign next?
aka Marco Baldi Jr. (just kidding) or an Aussie Big?

crgreen

« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2012, 07:10:28 PM »

We're not "reloading" though.
  We've lost one player, albeit an important one.   I don't think we're going to be world beaters, but there is a possibility we could be pretty good.   

Yes we are - it's just that we're still reloading from 2011.

« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2012, 07:21:29 PM »
albeit a long ways away and assuming we are getting 3 more big east caliber players,  combined with the three giving us verbals already, plus the 5 returning that gives us 11 players total. We went from having no bench to 6 guys in one yr. I guess my question for the fun of it is, where do all the minutes go to these guys?  We can't possibly play an 11 man rotation so who is coming in or returning to see little playing time?  You have got a 5 man team whom each guy averaged over 20 min a game and adding guys expected to come in and play right away.  a nice problem to have although i just got to believe some of these  guys coming in or returning are gonna be sitting more than they want. 

Moose

« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2012, 07:26:12 PM »
albeit a long ways away and assuming we are getting 3 more big east caliber players,  combined with the three giving us verbals already, plus the 5 returning that gives us 11 players total. We went from having no bench to 6 guys in one yr. I guess my question for the fun of it is, where do all the minutes go to these guys?  We can't possibly play an 11 man rotation so who is coming in or returning to see little playing time?  You have got a 5 man team whom each guy averaged over 20 min a game and adding guys expected to come in and play right away.  a nice problem to have although i just got to believe some of these  guys coming in or returning are gonna be sitting more than they want. 

If guys know they can expend all their energy in less minutes the results will be better.  Less forced shots with tired arms and legs.

DFF6

« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2012, 07:48:40 PM »

If guys know they can expend all their energy in less minutes the results will be better.  Less forced shots with tired arms and legs.

Louisville is, I think, a good example of a program that effectively employs a deep bench where more guys with less minutes get great results.  Pitino probably has something to do with that. 

Poison

« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2012, 07:55:07 PM »
albeit a long ways away and assuming we are getting 3 more big east caliber players,  combined with the three giving us verbals already, plus the 5 returning that gives us 11 players total. We went from having no bench to 6 guys in one yr. I guess my question for the fun of it is, where do all the minutes go to these guys?  We can't possibly play an 11 man rotation so who is coming in or returning to see little playing time?  You have got a 5 man team whom each guy averaged over 20 min a game and adding guys expected to come in and play right away.  a nice problem to have although i just got
to believe some of these  guys coming in or returning are gonna be sitting more than they want. 

Good, then we can drop that awful match up zone crap

Marillac

« Reply #33 on: March 19, 2012, 07:56:37 PM »
albeit a long ways away and assuming we are getting 3 more big east caliber players,  combined with the three giving us verbals already, plus the 5 returning that gives us 11 players total. We went from having no bench to 6 guys in one yr. I guess my question for the fun of it is, where do all the minutes go to these guys?  We can't possibly play an 11 man rotation so who is coming in or returning to see little playing time?  You have got a 5 man team whom each guy averaged over 20 min a game and adding guys expected to come in and play right away.  a nice problem to have although i just got
to believe some of these  guys coming in or returning are gonna be sitting more than they want. 

Good, then we can drop that awful match up zone crap

Or actually max out is effectiveness with a deep running team. 

gman

« Reply #34 on: March 19, 2012, 07:57:14 PM »
Losing Moe is definitely a blow to next years squad, but over time, this will only help us get back among the elite.

Consider this, Moe was #41 rated player (per Rivals).  He is currently the 15th to 21st prospect (depending on what draft source you care to use).  How many coaches can go into a non top 20 recruit and say, "In one year, I can make you a 1st round pick."

I looked back to 2003, and I don't see many instances where a guy ranked outside the top 20 is a one and done 1st round pick. 

The future is bright! 

In Lavin we trust...Hammer to Rock!

Don't forget Moe grew 2-3" during the summer.  If that happened after junior year that could have shot him up the rankings.  Still I think it really allows Lavin to go hard after blue chip kids now.

« Reply #35 on: March 19, 2012, 08:12:24 PM »
I'm a little surprised at the lack of positivity surrounding this news.

1. I'm so happy for Moe. He is living his lifelong dream. How many people can say that?
2. Moe is a Johnny for life. Imagine what Baron Davis, Earl Watson, etc are to Lavin. Moe's going to be way more than that.
3. Moe's news already has the next guys in line really excited about coming to St. John's.

Would this team be better with Moe than without him next year but you have to look at the big picture. Also Moe might go higher in the draft than any of you might think.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #36 on: March 19, 2012, 08:25:33 PM »

1. I'm so happy for Moe. He is living his lifelong dream. How many people can say that?
2. Moe is a Johnny for life. Imagine what Baron Davis, Earl Watson, etc are to Lavin. Moe's going to be way more than that.
3. Moe's news already has the next guys in line really excited about coming to St. John's.

Would this team be better with Moe than without him next year but you have to look at the big picture. Also Moe might go higher in the draft than any of you might think.

Not me, Ive been saying all along hes a lottery pick. NBA draft is all about potential, Moe's potential has no ceiling

paultzman

« Reply #37 on: March 19, 2012, 08:25:43 PM »

3. Moe's news already has the next guys in line really excited about coming

Agree Dave. Re: #3, studs like McCullough and Lawrence will be especially impressed. Agree?
« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 08:28:20 PM by paultzman »

« Reply #38 on: March 19, 2012, 08:27:45 PM »
Ok Glass half full. Even with Moe going pro I think we are going to be a lot better next year.

Harrison,Phil,Amir,Dom and GG all with a year under their belts with getting monster minutes their freshman year.

Jakarr steps into Moe's spot.
Branch with a year of practicing with the team takes over Nuri's spot mid december
Felix takes Stith's roster spot.

Right there alone we will be much better.

Add Sanchez,possibly Chandler,Marco and we are rolling. Then maybe throw in some future class recruits just for the fun of it and things look so much different than a couple of weeks ago

« Reply #39 on: March 19, 2012, 08:34:05 PM »

If we had Kentucky/UCONN type depth it wouldnt be such a hit to next year-
 so you must understand why some are not positive.
I agree with all 3 of your points 100%.

I think Moe made the 100% right decision if experts are telling him he's a 1st round lock. (I'm no expert)
I'm 100% happy for Moe & his family & will follow & root for him avidly in his pro career.
I hope Moe goes Lottery /top20 (but I expect 20-40)... and do think his 1 year will greatly help recruiting.

But as a fan of the team, I was allowed to hope he stayed 1 more year, so not be so positive today.

« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 08:36:35 PM by stevep502 »
Molloy '71