Why Moe going pro is a positive for STJ

• 118 replies

crgreen

Re: Why Moe going pro is a positive for STJ
« Reply #100 on: March 27, 2012, 02:16:08 PM »
What does Defense have to do with the NBA?  No one in the NBA plays defense anymore.  No one.

Luc Richard Mbah a Moute, Arron Afflalo.  :)

For elsewhere in the thread, I'm afraid I don't see nearly as high a ceiling for Moe as some - certainly not Durrant-like.  I see him as a solid pro - maybe even an All-Star down the road.  Certainly worth a mid or even higher first round pick.   But that's way different than one of the 3 or 4 best players in the game. 

Poison

« Reply #101 on: March 27, 2012, 02:31:35 PM »
I think he could be better than Kevin Durant.

« Reply #102 on: March 27, 2012, 02:45:23 PM »
Not to distract from the thread, but I never understood when people say things like "nobody in the NBA plays defense anymore", other than their very own revisionist history.

Go watch a game from the 70's/80's when league-average teams were scoring in the 120's+ practically nightly and then watch a game between the Bulls/Heat and tell me nobody plays defense  ::).

Some of the old games are practically non-watchable because of the lack of defense, but they don't play defense NOW? The three or four best teams in today's game have absolutely shut-down defenses.

The only point I'll agree on is that teams in the late 80's/early 90's weren't as soft as they are today, but I think that has far more to do with rule changes/refereeing/Stern than it does the players. ALOT of good/great teams in today's game have GREAT, ATHLETIC defenses, especially compared to 20/30 years ago.

« Reply #103 on: March 27, 2012, 02:49:08 PM »
How did the Mavs win last year, defense.

And because of LeChoke.

Marillac

« Reply #104 on: March 27, 2012, 03:40:31 PM »

And because of LeChoke.

Two words:  Tyson Chandler.  The Mavs have always been loaded, but I always picked against them because they were soft.  Chandler changed the whole culture of that team--at least on the court.  How they let him go, I'll never know.
As for Moe, I can't help but see Durant when I see him play.  The only two things that separate the two in my opinion are Durant's shooting ability and Dursnt's scorer's mentality.  Unfortunately for Moe, I dont think he'll ever get that mentality--you really have to be born with it--but I think Moe's jumper will be very, very good.

The higher he goes the better for St. John's. 

This might sound a bit crazy, but I thought there were plenty of times this season--after Garrett got his sea legs--where I felt we looked much better and more fluid defensivley with Moe on the bench.  Of course, rebounding without Moe was ugly and I loved Moe's shot blocking ability.  But let's remember that moe played out of position all year.

Tha Kid

« Reply #105 on: March 27, 2012, 03:43:43 PM »
He could also be marvin williams - who many thought would be a star and was more highly regarded after frosh yr.  Marvin is more of a pf than moe, but i see way more similarities there than with KD.

"I drink and I know things"

Marillac

« Reply #106 on: March 27, 2012, 03:54:06 PM »
He could also be marvin williams - who many thought would be a star and was more highly regarded after frosh yr.  Marvin is more of a pf than moe, but i see way more similarities there than with KD.

I haven't seen to much of Williams in the NBA, but isn't he known as a defensive wizard?  I think Moe will struggle on that end of the court for at least a few years.  He's not a stellar athlete by NBA standards and he's not particularly strong. Moe also doesn't seem to have an edge to him that many of the great defensive players possess.  His size and length, though, scream NBA.

« Reply #107 on: March 27, 2012, 03:58:45 PM »
Moe's initial HS videos reminded me so much of a young Brandon Roy.

But then he grew a couple inches and wound up playing alot bigger/taller. His rebounding is impressive.

boo3

« Reply #108 on: March 27, 2012, 04:11:17 PM »
 Durant is on a different level entirely.  Only similarities are their body type.  It ends right there.

« Reply #109 on: March 28, 2012, 01:34:02 PM »
Latest ESPN mock draft from Chad Ford has Moe going 27 to Golden State.

kjd01067

« Reply #110 on: March 28, 2012, 01:59:20 PM »

St. John's connection that would be awesome... hope he goes a little higher though

paultzman

« Reply #111 on: March 28, 2012, 02:06:41 PM »

St. John's connection that would be awesome... hope he goes a little higher though

So does  Moe!

pmg911

« Reply #112 on: March 28, 2012, 02:30:11 PM »
This Mock Draft has a few people in the draft that might not be there but it also has no foreign players either. Moe is really going to need strong work out performances to move up the board.

« Reply #113 on: March 28, 2012, 02:33:24 PM »
IMO they don't play offense in the NBA. At least good offense as in scoring. Durant much sleeker, faster and quicker than Mo-runs the court like a deer. Better shooter scorer than Mo, scores by accident. But other than these few minor points-yes can see the comparison.

DFF6

« Reply #114 on: March 28, 2012, 02:42:59 PM »
Anyone know if Moe hired an agent yet?

« Reply #115 on: March 28, 2012, 02:58:28 PM »
In the spirit of the title of the thread - who knows? Maybe Moe's intention to go pro convinced Jakarr to come here.

« Reply #116 on: March 28, 2012, 03:06:22 PM »

And because of LeChoke.

Two words:  Tyson Chandler.  The Mavs have always been loaded, but I always picked against them because they were soft.  Chandler changed the whole culture of that team--at least on the court.  How they let him go, I'll never know.
As for Moe, I can't help but see Durant when I see him play.  The only two things that separate the two in my opinion are Durant's shooting ability and Dursnt's scorer's mentality.  Unfortunately for Moe, I dont think he'll ever get that mentality--you really have to be born with it--but I think Moe's jumper will be very, very good.

The higher he goes the better for St. John's. 

This might sound a bit crazy, but I thought there were plenty of times this season--after Garrett got his sea legs--where I felt we looked much better and more fluid defensivley with Moe on the bench.  Of course, rebounding without Moe was ugly and I loved Moe's shot blocking ability.  But let's remember that moe played out of position all year.

The Mavs let Chandler go for cap space (and hopefully Deron Williams), and it has not hurt them on the defensive end this year. They are still one of the best defensive teams in the NBA. He definitely did help change the culture in Dallas but Marion helped with that too (Marion is having a phenomenal year on the defensive end).

As for Moe, he will be a good player in the league but I don't think he is Durant. Durant is 6'10" with D'Angelo range. We were better on the defensive end because with Moe out, Pointer and Garrett were playing together. Both of them are better defenders than Moe (and that is not to say that Moe is a bad defensive player).

« Reply #117 on: March 28, 2012, 03:32:21 PM »
 :-\how is tobias harris doing so far for the bucks.....

desco80

« Reply #118 on: March 28, 2012, 05:42:32 PM »
:-\how is tobias harris doing so far for the bucks.....

I'd say he's doing pretty well.... $1.5 mil guaranteed this year and next.   
Honestly, that's what I expect from Moe.   Same playing time, same pay-check.   Nothing wrong with that situation.  He's gonna have to put in his time.
Harris isn't even 20 years old yet... Moe's going to be in the same spot.