Rothstein on SJU

• 52 replies

crgreen

Re: Rothstein on SJU
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2012, 05:25:40 PM »
Interesting that Coach Lavin thinks the 3rd leading freshman scorer in the country (and BEST scoring major conference frosh) is set to have a BREAKOUT sophomore year.

MCNPA

« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2012, 05:32:10 PM »
Interesting that Coach Lavin thinks the 3rd leading freshman scorer in the country (and BEST scoring major conference frosh) is set to have a BREAKOUT sophomore year.

That was Rothstein, not Lavin.

crgreen

« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2012, 07:02:40 PM »

My bad - the first 3 posts were "Lavin says" - didn't notice the 4th was different - Rothsteins take.

Now that I know - a comment on one of Rothstein's other takes: 

“@JonRothstein: Don't be surprised to see a lot of Harrison, Greene, + Branch together in 3G sets. Lavin used it at UCLA. Likens it to 2005 Illinois team.”

It should be noted that the 3 guard Coach Lavin used at UCLA was mainly Baron Davis, Earl Watson and Toby Bailey in 1998.  And Toby was an 18 pt, 6 reb, 4 assist guy that year.   Other 3 "guard" rotations featured Rico Hines, and Billy Knight as the 3rd "guard" - both of whom started their Bruin careers as Forwards, and 6'4 212 Ray Young.   I can't really remember any instance of Coach Lavin running 3 guards who were all 6'3 or smaller.   The last two years, the starting PG was 6'6 210  Ced Bozeman - who fairly regularly defended the 3 (in fact he was the starting SF his senior year when UCLA played Florida for the National Championship).   So it's not QUITE the same thing.   You can call it 3 guard, or you can call it 1 guard and 2 wings.   

No disrespect to Rothstein, but I'd REALLY be surprised to see "a LOT of Harrison/Greene/Branch".    Given the athletic ability, speed, quickness and incredible defensive potential of Amir and Sir Dom at the three (can't comment on the necommers at the 3 yet) just can't see the advantage of a 3rd guard over a true forward at the 3 spot.  Phil would have to demonstrate MONSTER improvement in his shooting (up from 36% FG, 28% 3s) to justify being in with Branch and D'lo.

Moose

« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2012, 07:45:35 PM »

My bad - the first 3 posts were "Lavin says" - didn't notice the 4th was different - Rothsteins take.

Now that I know - a comment on one of Rothstein's other takes: 

“@JonRothstein: Don't be surprised to see a lot of Harrison, Greene, + Branch together in 3G sets. Lavin used it at UCLA. Likens it to 2005 Illinois team.”

It should be noted that the 3 guard Coach Lavin used at UCLA was mainly Baron Davis, Earl Watson and Toby Bailey in 1998.  And Toby was an 18 pt, 6 reb, 4 assist guy that year.   Other 3 "guard" rotations featured Rico Hines, and Billy Knight as the 3rd "guard" - both of whom started their Bruin careers as Forwards, and 6'4 212 Ray Young.   I can't really remember any instance of Coach Lavin running 3 guards who were all 6'3 or smaller.   The last two years, the starting PG was 6'6 210  Ced Bozeman - who fairly regularly defended the 3 (in fact he was the starting SF his senior year when UCLA played Florida for the National Championship).   So it's not QUITE the same thing.   You can call it 3 guard, or you can call it 1 guard and 2 wings.   

No disrespect to Rothstein, but I'd REALLY be surprised to see "a LOT of Harrison/Greene/Branch".    Given the athletic ability, speed, quickness and incredible defensive potential of Amir and Sir Dom at the three (can't comment on the necommers at the 3 yet) just can't see the advantage of a 3rd guard over a true forward at the 3 spot.  Phil would have to demonstrate MONSTER improvement in his shooting (up from 36% FG, 28% 3s) to justify being in with Branch and D'lo.

Don't worry about disrespecting Rothstein ;)
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2012, 07:49:56 PM »
Agree cr with your take on the back court and as I stated i believe we have too much front court talent not to go with them which also gives us more hight. Maybe late game situations when trying to protect a lead for ball handling and foul shooting.

MCNPA

« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2012, 07:52:40 PM »
I will add that I liked how he called Jakkar special in every way.  Lavin put his blood, sweat and tears into recruiting  and Jakkar stuck with SJU.  A very nice sentiment and great to see coach forming real relationships with these kids.

paultzman

« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2012, 07:59:26 PM »
I will add that I liked how he called Jakkar special in every way.  Lavin put his blood, sweat and tears into recruiting  and Jakkar stuck with SJU.  A very nice sentiment and great to see coach forming real relationships with these kids.

Moose wants you in his office for spelling a player's name wrong for the 100th time!

MCNPA

« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2012, 08:05:48 PM »

Moose wants you in his office for spelling a player's name wrong for the 100th time!

Lol. I know how to spell Jakarr, but after I typed it wrong the first time, the damn iPad keeps correcting it the wrong way.  I'm pretty sure in past threads I've spelled Jakarr the right way. ;)

LJSA

« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2012, 08:19:34 PM »
nice set of tweets

got myselves slapped sayin things like that.

Slapped by the woman you said it to, by your wife for saying it to a woman, or by both?

paultzman

« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2012, 12:04:12 PM »
“@JonRothstein: The latest @WFAN660 looks at how D'Angelo Harrison Is Ready To Run The Point For @STJ_Basketball in 12-13 http://t.co/v4MnjYWh

« Reply #30 on: July 23, 2012, 01:37:46 PM »
“@JonRothstein: The latest @WFAN660 looks at how D'Angelo Harrison Is Ready To Run The Point For @STJ_Basketball in 12-13 http://t.co/v4MnjYWh

he's trying to turn him into dwight hardy.

« Reply #31 on: July 23, 2012, 01:45:12 PM »

One big positive occurring due to Branch's absence in the first semester will be that it allows for Bourgoult and Balamu some time to get their feet wet before conference play.
I also think that D'angelo can more than hold his own as a point guard the only problem is that it takes away from his scoring which is sorely needed.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #32 on: July 23, 2012, 01:47:07 PM »
And expand his skill set and prepare him for the league.   I'm sure with the help of rico hines. 

MCNPA

« Reply #33 on: July 23, 2012, 01:56:09 PM »

One big positive occurring due to Branch's absence in the first semester will be that it allows for Bourgoult and Balamu some time to get their feet wet before conference play.
I also think that D'angelo can more than hold his own as a point guard the only problem is that it takes away from his scoring which is sorely needed.

Yeah, but it allows Phil Greene to play his more natural SG spot and score from there.  Don't think it will hurt us much.  Didn't hurt Tyshawn Taylor's scoring ability.  D'Lo wants to glory after this year.  Lavin will try to help m do that.  No problem with him getting time at PG.  We have lots of guys who are interchangeable parts and we won't lose a step.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2012, 01:58:01 PM by MCNPA »

crgreen

« Reply #34 on: July 23, 2012, 05:46:47 PM »

Who knows?  When Stephen Curry had to take over as PG his Junior Year at Davidson, he was able to raise his assist average from 2.8 to 5.6 per game.   And his scoring from 25.9 to 28.6!    It really depends on the player.

Moose

« Reply #35 on: July 23, 2012, 05:52:46 PM »

It really depends on the player.

And the team around him
And the teams he plays
And the defenses those teams
And the temperature in the gym
And the......
And the......
And the......
Remember who broke the Slice news

Poison

« Reply #36 on: July 23, 2012, 06:38:34 PM »

I think DLo at the point means he'll score even more. Remember he makes good decisions with the ball. I think he could more like a Hardy PG, than a true PG, and that worked out well.
His playmaking improved as the season wore on. The one area I'd like to see DLo work on however, is his defense. Part of being a good point guard is doing your part in making it hard for the other score to run his offense.

« Reply #37 on: July 23, 2012, 06:53:06 PM »

I think DLo at the point means he'll score even more. Remember he makes good decisions with the ball. I think he could more like a Hardy PG, than a true PG, and that worked out well.
His playmaking improved as the season wore on. The one area I'd like to see DLo work on however, is his defense. Part of being a good point guard is doing your part in making it hard for the other score to run his offense.

I have no doubt that D'lo could be really successful as a point guard. He might score more from the point this year than he did last year from the 2, but that doesnt mean hell score more than he could score at the 2 spot. Which is really hard to tell, and probably really confusing :)

Im just happy we have him around.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #38 on: July 23, 2012, 07:25:46 PM »

I definitely see the Hardy comparisons. More of a SG, but clearly the best player on the team, the guy you want leading the offense. Hardy was a better driver and slasher, but DLo may be a better shooter and has more room to get better.

paultzman

« Reply #39 on: July 26, 2012, 06:38:05 PM »
come on Jon! Bruins??

“@JonRothstein: UNLV's Anthony Bennett officially cleared by the NCAA. Bruins look legit Top Ten team to start the season.”