Harkless Update from ESPN

• 130 replies

Moose

Harkless Update from ESPN
« on: November 02, 2012, 11:06:26 AM »
Harkless (sports hernia) is listed as "questionable" for Friday's season opener against the Nuggets, the Orlando Sentinel reports.

Spin: Harkless, who missed training camp with a sports hernia, was cleared to practice with no restrictions Monday. He was expected to return in mid-November but looks to be ahead of schedule. He has a 50-50 chance of playing Friday, but just the fact that he is considering playing this early is a good sign for the rookie going forward. However, he did miss training camp and is a raw talent who will take some time to develop. He is not a fantasy option in re-draft leagues.

ESPN Fantasy Projection: As a small forward who can rebound and contribute hustle stats, the rookie has plenty of upside in his fantasy game. Plus, the Magic's thin roster will allow him to play right away if he earns it. There have been questions about his motor, and while he's physically gifted, his outside game is a long-term project. He'd be better off learning the ropes as a reserve on a good team, but he wouldn't be the first player to exceed expectations when given the chance. Let's see how he looks in training camp; he's certainly a player to watch closely.
Remember who broke the Slice news

Re: Harkless Update from ESPN
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2012, 06:17:35 PM »
questions about his motor????

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2012, 06:42:43 PM »

To be fair, there were games and halves last year where he seemingly disappeared.  He needs to be more assertive in order to prosper in the NBA.

Moose

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2012, 06:43:50 PM »

If you watch him play he's very fluid and effortless.  Doesn't look like he is exerting himself but he is.  I used to compare him to Robbie Cano but now would be a bad time since Cano was dreadful and finally his lollygagging has been exposed.

And as the previous poster pointed out there were some games you didn't see him out there.  Though I think they were mostly after that injury he suffered.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2012, 06:44:26 PM by Moose »

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2012, 09:18:19 PM »
the game that sticks out in my mind is the duke game where he carried the team on his back. 

Moose

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2012, 09:37:08 PM »
the game that sticks out in my mind is the duke game where he carried the team on his back. 

Yep game after that he was dreadful also vs. DePaul. 

Only other bad games I recall were the loss to Cincy and the UTPA game.

Not trying to demean him because I loved Harkless but just for argument sake pointing out those games that might have caused that characterization.  Both those games I mentioned he was invisible.

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2012, 03:27:10 PM »
Hedo just broke his hand, i guess we may see some Harkless this week?
Attack basketball, pressure defense, 40 minutes of hell ... Early on it might be 30 minutes of hell, then 10 minutes of what the hell are you doing?"

paultzman

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2012, 07:52:28 AM »
“@NYCHoops: Maurice Harkless posterizes Robin Lopez! http://t.co/EaPK1fbG #stjbb”

paultzman

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2013, 03:12:23 PM »
will have a NY buddy;

“@KySportsRadio: Doron Lamb has been traded to Orlando”

Moose

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2013, 04:06:42 PM »
will have a NY buddy;

“@KySportsRadio: Doron Lamb has been traded to Orlando”

And Tobias Harris.  Sure he knows him as well.

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2013, 04:55:34 PM »
No more Reddick might mean more shots for Moe

bk8664

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2013, 10:37:47 PM »

And he got his shots tonight:  19 points, 8-17 shooting, 9 rebounds - 5 offensive; 1 steal, 1 block, 1 assist.

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2013, 10:38:49 PM »

And he got his shots tonight:  19 points, 8-17 shooting, 9 rebounds - 5 offensive; 1 steal, 1 block, 1 assist.

atta boy Moe!

« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2013, 10:40:19 PM »

He's been on a role lately

Moose

« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2013, 04:53:52 PM »
Its a race right now between the Magic and Dunlap for the 1st pick

« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2013, 06:01:26 PM »
Its a race right now between the Magic and Dunlap for the 1st pick

Hopefully they give him another year.

DFF6

« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2013, 06:56:09 PM »

Tha Kid

« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2013, 11:12:02 AM »
Alex Kennedy from HoopsWorld:

Harkless Making Most of Opportunity

The Orlando Magic needed Maurice Harkless to step up.

After trading J.J. Redick to the Milwaukee Bucks and losing Hedo Turkoglu to suspension after he tested positive for a banned substance, Orlando needed Harkless to fill the void on the perimeter and take his game to another level.

The 19-year-old has made the most of this opportunity and has thrived since his role with the Magic increased.

Harkless was an every-night starter for Orlando earlier in the season because of his defense and athleticism. Now, Harkless’ minutes have increased once again and he’s making an impact on both ends of the floor.

In February, Harkless has averaged 11.5 points, 6.5 rebounds, 1.5 steals and one block. Since the All-Star Break, he has been averaging 16.8 points, seven rebounds, one block and one steal. The Magic have struggled as a team, but the team’s young players continue to develop and contribute on a nightly basis.

“J.J. played a major role,” Harkless said after the veteran wing was traded to Milwaukee. “A lot of his minutes will probably come my way and I just have to take advantage of that and step up.”

He has done exactly that, making a difference while continuing to be one of Orlando’s most efficient players. Not bad for a teenager who was starring for St. John’s around this time last year.

Read more at http://www.hoopsworld.com/nba-pm-jennings-mavericks-have-mutual-interest/#CLpoOblQIWOPdicy.99

http://www.hoopsworld.com/nba-pm-jennings-mavericks-have-mutual-interest/
"I drink and I know things"

« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2013, 03:25:47 PM »
23 pts and 9 rebounds today vs. Milwaukee

« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2013, 03:30:13 PM »
As a Magic fan since I was a child...I love having Moe (for obvious reasons) and Tobias Harris. Nik Vucevic had been really solid as well.  Rob Hennigan has done an absolutely tremendous job since taking over as GM IMO.

They have a nice young core and promising future with draft picks and a smart front office in place. I try to catch as many of their games as possible, and Moe has really stepped up his offensive game lately. His 3-point stroke has improved tenfold. He's actually shooting 40% from beyond the arc since the ASB. Small sample size, but it's still 14 games at 2.4 attempts per.

Now just needs to work on his free throw shooting..