Harkless Update from ESPN

• 130 replies
Re: Harkless Update from ESPN
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2013, 03:33:25 PM »
As a Magic fan since I was a child...I love having Moe (for obvious reasons) and Tobias Harris. Nik Vucevic had been really solid as well.  Rob Hennigan has done an absolutely tremendous job since taking over as GM IMO.

They have a nice young core and promising future with draft picks and a smart front office in place. I try to catch as many of their games as possible, and Moe has really stepped up his offensive game lately. His 3-point stroke has improved tenfold. He's actually shooting 40% from beyond the arc since the ASB. Small sample size, but it's still 14 games at 2.4 attempts per.

Now just needs to work on his free throw shooting..

Moe has a good stroke. His free throw shooting will come with time.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

bk8664

« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2013, 03:54:25 PM »
23 pts and 9 rebounds today vs. Milwaukee

Also had two steals, two blocks and an assist.   He's a stat stuffer.  From a statistics points of view, he seems to be getting it done at both ends of the court.   For those of you who have watched Magic games - how is his defense against opposing scorers? Is he good defensively or a liability?

« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2013, 04:05:24 PM »

« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2013, 04:13:57 PM »
23 pts and 9 rebounds today vs. Milwaukee

Also had two steals, two blocks and an assist.   He's a stat stuffer.  From a statistics points of view, he seems to be getting it done at both ends of the court.   For those of you who have watched Magic games - how is his defense against opposing scorers? Is he good defensively or a liability?

Not sure if its true but I've heard that he has been very good defensively and is the guy they put on Lebron

« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2013, 04:15:01 PM »
He's been good defensively but needs to learn how to not pick up ticky-tack fouls. Truthfully, his potential is REALLY high.

gman

« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2013, 04:29:09 PM »
Good for Mo!

bk8664

« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2013, 04:31:08 PM »
He's been good defensively but needs to learn how to not pick up ticky-tack fouls. Truthfully, his potential is REALLY high.

So he's quick enough on his feet at the NBA level to hold his own defensively?   If true, that's pretty cool and he's got huge upside.  He's proving in the second half of this season that he can shoot it consistently from the three-point line.   He's going to have a long career in the NBA.   Doug Collins was right in ruing trading Harkless away.

crgreen

« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2013, 04:42:45 PM »
Good for Mo!

Mo's stats since the All-Star Break:

14 games, 14 starts, 31.9 minutes per game.  12.1 Pts, 4.9 Rebs,  9 assists (0.6), 9 blocks (0.6), 23 steals (1.6), 51.1% FG, 39.5% 3pt, 54.5% FTs.

15th Pick in the draft, on the season he's the #10 scorer among first rounders,  the #7 rebounder, #13 in FG %, 21st in 3pt%, #18 in Assists.     Relative to the rest of the draftees, I guess he WAS ready.  :)

« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2013, 04:47:15 PM »

So he's quick enough on his feet at the NBA level to hold his own defensively?   If true, that's pretty cool and he's got huge upside.  He's proving in the second half of this season that he can shoot it consistently from the three-point line.   He's going to have a long career in the NBA.   Doug Collins was right in ruing trading Harkless away.

He's definitely quick enough to more than hold his own. He's not an elite defender (yet) or anything, but he has really good instincts and his length gives people fits.

Moe Harkless: 3 Blocks In Under a Minute

« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2013, 04:55:41 PM »
I regularly look at the Magic box scores now because of Harkless, and it seems every time I check (at least like 10x so far) he is in double digits! 23 today...wow very impressive. I have to eat crow I thought he would have a short stay in the NBA and end up overseas or something. I just didn't see him translating to the NBA with his lack of shooting while here. Is he in the ROY running at all? I don't know the NBA that well outside of the Knicks really so not sure if another rookie is lighting it up, but he has been about as good as a rookie can be thus far. Very consistent scoring, very good shooting percentages.

bk8664

« Reply #30 on: March 17, 2013, 05:00:01 PM »
I regularly look at the Magic box scores now because of Harkless, and it seems every time I check (at least like 10x so far) he is in double digits! 23 today...wow very impressive. I have to eat crow I thought he would have a short stay in the NBA and end up overseas or something. I just didn't see him translating to the NBA with his lack of shooting while here. Is he in the ROY running at all? I don't know the NBA that well outside of the Knicks really so not sure if another rookie is lighting it up, but he has been about as good as a rookie can be thus far. Very consistent scoring, very good shooting percentages.

Damian Lillard will win the rookie of the year by a mile.  He's the PG on the trailblazers. He's having a great rookie campaign.
He's averaging 19 points, 6.5 assists against three turnovers and a steal a game.  Shooting 43% from the field and 36% from three.

Moose

« Reply #31 on: March 17, 2013, 05:10:02 PM »

You thought he would end up overseas?
Oy vey.
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #32 on: March 17, 2013, 07:00:57 PM »
He was extremely raw at SJ. We really didn't even get to see much of what he could do. I remember feeling like he was a brick machine. He was really just a guy who got layups and dunks. It's not like he was Durant or Curry or anything where you could assume their skills would translate to the NBA level. The kid could not shoot when he was with us. Now he's making NBA 3's. Imagine if he was still at SJ?

Man we could use him so bad. I still don't understand why 1 and done is allowed...should be mandatory 2-3 years. It would help college hoops so much and build team chemistry/identities/rivalries. Players would become much more well known associated with each team and their skills would be very polished. The way it is now, success is almost punished. It's weird wanting your players to do good but not too good to keep them off the draft boards.

crgreen

« Reply #33 on: March 17, 2013, 07:10:15 PM »
He was extremely raw at SJ. We really didn't even get to see much of what he could do. I remember feeling like he was a brick machine. He was really just a guy who got layups and dunks. It's not like he was Durant or Curry or anything where you could assume their skills would translate to the NBA level. The kid could not shoot when he was with us. Now he's making NBA 3's. Imagine if he was still at SJ?

Man we could use him so bad. I still don't understand why 1 and done is allowed...should be mandatory 2-3 years. It would help college hoops so much and build team chemistry/identities/rivalries. Players would become much more well known associated with each team and their skills would be very polished. The way it is now, success is almost punished. It's weird wanting your players to do good but not too good to keep them off the draft boards.

What I find intersting is that while #2 overall Kidd Gilchrist has slightly better season numbers at 8.9 pts and 5.5 rebs, his numbers are DECLINING as the season goes on.  Since the All Star Break 8.1 pts, 4.6 rebs and 43% FGs.  (again, compared to Mo's 12.1, 4.9 and 51.1% over the same period)....

Moose

« Reply #34 on: March 17, 2013, 07:32:32 PM »

What I find intersting is that while #2 overall Kidd Gilchrist has slightly better season numbers at 8.9 pts and 5.5 rebs, his numbers are DECLINING as the season goes on.  Since the All Star Break 8.1 pts, 4.6 rebs and 43% FGs.  (again, compared to Mo's 12.1, 4.9 and 51.1% over the same period)....

Fire Dunlap
Remember who broke the Slice news

gman

« Reply #35 on: March 17, 2013, 07:57:00 PM »

Fire Dunlap

Don't steal my idea Moose!

crgreen

« Reply #36 on: March 17, 2013, 08:00:35 PM »

Fire Dunlap

:)   Actually, think it's just that MKG may have matured earlier than Mo - maxing (or nearly maxing) his physical potential as a HS senior/College Frosh, while Mo was more of a really good gangly colt, who's probably going to IMPROVE at a much faster rate as his body matures.

gman

« Reply #37 on: March 17, 2013, 08:02:08 PM »

Fire Dunlap

:)   Actually, think it's just that MKG may have matured earlier than Mo - maxing (or nearly maxing) his physical potential as a HS senior/College Frosh, while Mo was more of a really good gangly colt, who's probably going to IMPROVE at a much faster rate as his body matures.

Well wasn't that the thought on him coming out.  Not a big upside guy, but after Davis there wasn't much left, and MKG could be a nice piece albeit not a superstar.

desco80

« Reply #38 on: March 17, 2013, 09:06:22 PM »
Or, and this is just a thought,  MKG was playing 30mins a game right out of the gate and he's hit a wall.   It happens sometimes to rookies used to playing 30 game seasons.
Moe, on the other hand, was brought along slowly and didn't see starter minutes until Turkoljou was out.   Pre All star break- 19mpg  Post All Star break-31mpg.
Moe's probably got a little more left in his legs at this point in the season. 

bk8664

« Reply #39 on: March 17, 2013, 09:15:35 PM »
Or, and this is just a thought,  MKG was playing 30mins a game right out of the gate and he's hit a wall.   It happens sometimes to rookies used to playing 30 game seasons.
Moe, on the other hand, was brought along slowly and didn't see starter minutes until Turkoljou was out.   Pre All star break- 19mpg  Post All Star break-31mpg.
Moe's probably got a little more left in his legs at this point in the season.

I think Moe is just more awesome.