Bourgault and Sanchez are not playing

• 53 replies

Moose

Re: Bourgault and Sanchez are not playing
« Reply #40 on: November 04, 2012, 01:54:36 AM »
Moose what's your concern over Felix redshirting?
You said yourself the schollie numbers will work themselves out with early departures.

I'd like to err on the side of caution.  10 is the magic number but I'd be more comfortable running out 11 guys.  That's all.

Think coach really believes N'daiye can contribute as that 11th or 12th guy.

How many teams have an 11th or 12th guy contributing CR?  Not many.

Doubt it he's really not a big east player, he's 6'5 1/2 and has no perimeter game, to his credit he's come a long way from bench warming at Christ the king

Exactly my thinking
Remember who broke the Slice news

crgreen

« Reply #41 on: November 04, 2012, 01:12:02 AM »
Moose what's your concern over Felix redshirting?
You said yourself the schollie numbers will work themselves out with early departures.

I'd like to err on the side of caution.  10 is the magic number but I'd be more comfortable running out 11 guys.  That's all.

Think coach really believes N'daiye can contribute as that 11th or 12th guy.

How many teams have an 11th or 12th guy contributing CR?  Not many.

Doubt it he's really not a big east player, he's 6'5 1/2 and has no perimeter game, to his credit he's come a long way from bench warming at Christ the king

Exactly my thinking

According to 99% of UCLA "fans", neither was Rico Hines  or Ryan Walcott or Jason Flowers or Joshiah Johnson or Sean Farnham.   Didn't stop Lav's from playing them (and even occasionally STARTING them).    :D

Poison

« Reply #42 on: November 04, 2012, 09:15:21 AM »
Bottom line, losing 5 players in 2 years to eligibility is unacceptable. There's no way around it.

Moose

« Reply #43 on: November 04, 2012, 12:04:51 PM »
Bottom line, losing 5 players in 2 years to eligibility is unacceptable. There's no way around it.

Were not losing them to eligibility Poison.  They will play this year.

« Reply #44 on: November 04, 2012, 12:30:06 PM »

Were not losing them to eligibility Poison.  They will play this year.

Agree, seems to me the only argument is if they are Junior-Sophomore or Senior-Junior.

Poison

« Reply #45 on: November 04, 2012, 12:32:30 PM »
If it doesn't have anything to do with their eligibility, why on earth are they not playing? That doesn't even come close to making sense. One thing has nothing to do with the other.

« Reply #46 on: November 04, 2012, 12:35:17 PM »
If it doesn't have anything to do with their eligibility, why on earth are they not playing? That doesn't even come close to making sense. One thing has nothing to do with the other.

It does have to do with eligibility as a Junior-Sophomore combo or Senior-Junior combo.

Poison

« Reply #47 on: November 04, 2012, 12:40:31 PM »

It does have to do with eligibility as a Junior-Sophomore combo or Senior-Junior combo.

If Sanchez is a senior he should be able to play in this game. If he is a junior he should be able to play in this game. There has to be more to this story. I've never heard of such a senseless reason for a player to sit out.

Moose

« Reply #48 on: November 04, 2012, 12:41:05 PM »

Why mess with the NCAA.  Play it safe and not be sorry.

« Reply #49 on: November 04, 2012, 01:03:33 PM »

Aint that the truth

« Reply #50 on: November 04, 2012, 01:21:49 PM »

If Sanchez is a senior he should be able to play in this game. If he is a junior he should be able to play in this game. There has to be more to this story. I've never heard of such a senseless reason for a player to sit out.

They have to clarify it first. If he's a senior and we play him as a junior he may be ruled ineligible. Idk the rules about this(not sure you do about something like this specifically either). Just play it safe and let the NCAA clear it up.

paultzman

« Reply #51 on: November 04, 2012, 02:16:54 PM »

Exactly what they are doing.

« Reply #52 on: November 04, 2012, 03:33:14 PM »
Sanchez running into the age question.  NCAA is looking at Dominican baseball players lying about age and figuring the same thing could be happening in basketball.  Marco has been in school for 3 years-Montana state, first year was deemed insufficient to play because of French schooling accredidation and then 2 years at Monroe where he was hurt in the first year and so maybe we are trying to make sure that is classified as a bona fide redshirt thus giving him 3 years of eligibility; if they play him now it is possible that NCAA would say Junior--no look back.

Still I am P/Oed this is still not resolved by the NCAA when the season is starting for all teams and this paperwork has probably been with them since these guys signed their letters with us.

Right on...the kid shouldnt be penalized because the NCAA doesn't have sufficient staff to review cases prior to season. Eligibility for 2012-13 is not at question so why not let them play and make the determination shortly thereafter...Only issue I see is related to players that you might redshirt based on the decision - which dictates that the decision be made quickly...players for whom the decision will have no impact should be able to play...

Perhaps I a missing a nuance of the rule...

Poison

« Reply #53 on: November 04, 2012, 04:06:36 PM »
Sanchez running into the age question.  NCAA is looking at Dominican baseball players lying about age and figuring the same thing could be happening in basketball.  Marco has been in school for 3 years-Montana state, first year was deemed insufficient to play because of French schooling accredidation and then 2 years at Monroe where he was hurt in the first year and so maybe we are trying to make sure that is classified as a bona fide redshirt thus giving him 3 years of eligibility; if they play him now it is possible that NCAA would say Junior--no look back.

Still I am P/Oed this is still not resolved by the NCAA when the season is starting for all teams and this paperwork has probably been with them since these guys signed their letters with us.

Right on...the kid shouldnt be penalized because the NCAA doesn't have sufficient staff to review cases prior to season. Eligibility for 2012-13 is not at question so why not let them play and make the determination shortly thereafter...Only issue I see is related to players that you might redshirt based on the decision - which dictates that the decision be made quickly...players for whom the decision will have no impact should be able to play...

Perhaps I a missing a nuance of the rule...

You are missing something. I'm missing it too. Either there's more to this story, or the NCAA is purposely harassing St.John's.