NJIT Game Discussion

• 145 replies
Re: NJIT Game Discussion
« Reply #100 on: December 01, 2012, 07:45:49 PM »
It was the worst of games and the best of games.

By the time we get to the BE we should be firing on all pistons right out of the chute.

Lavin's rage on the sidelines against his own players was a breath of fresh air.

You have to admire St. Francis of Assisi but he just didn't have what it takes to win a national championship.

I have never seen a team more determined not to lose a game than this one.

We have a great future ahead of us.

« Reply #101 on: December 01, 2012, 08:18:39 PM »
Means a lot to hang tight, fight back, gut out a win like this.

crgreen

« Reply #102 on: December 01, 2012, 08:24:07 PM »
Ya know, you WANT these "kids" (and I do mean KIDS) to be as great as they can be or will be every minute from the day they first step on the court for you.   But those Alcindors and Waltons and Durants are very rare birds.   Most show  promise then tease you with it for awhile as they learn to harness that potential.   So sometimes it's just the glimpses and flashes you have to go by for how good a kid will be.   This game was a great example.

Obekpa - there were two plays, NEITHER on athe defensive end, that screamed NBA down the road.   One was that  perfect, georgeous 18 foot midrange jumper in the second half, and the other was that fake pass out to D'lo, spin and drive the hoop for the two handed slam.   It may be a year, it may be two before that's a consistent thing, but when it is ---- lotto.

Sir Dom -  It's still inconsistent, but when he get's into defensive lockdown mode, he is intimidatingly scary-good.  Michael Cooper on steroid kind of good.  IF/When that becomes consistent he will be a very bad person to deal with on the couirt.  You could see the panic in the eyes of his man when Dom was on him "full-bore".

D-Lo.  Quick glimpses of Defense and decision-making/passing I hadn't seen a lot of.   It THOSE flashes multiply in coming games, we could go a long, long way....

And again, gotta mention Jakarr's boarding.  17?    In 2012, Mo had a 16 board game.  In 2011, DJ had the best with a 14 reb game.  In 2010, it was DJ with 15.  2009, DJ with 14.  2008, Burrell with 14.  ------ You get the picture....

« Reply #103 on: December 01, 2012, 08:38:40 PM »
Obekpa - there were two plays, NEITHER on athe defensive end, that screamed NBA down the road.   One was that  perfect, georgeous 18 foot midrange jumper in the second half, and the other was that fake pass out to D'lo, spin and drive the hoop for the two handed slam.   It may be a year, it may be two before that's a consistent thing, but when it is ---- lotto.

That fake pass and drive was a really crafty play...
« Last Edit: December 01, 2012, 08:39:00 PM by section3 »

« Reply #104 on: December 01, 2012, 09:50:58 PM »
did anyone else notice when Lavin RIPPED into Amir and DLo? i've never seen coach so angry. he pulled them by the shirts sat'em down and just ripped them.  he was so angry he turned red.  never seen that type of anger from coach

Yeah, it was great.  Good to see Lavin fired up.  He was pissed about something D'Lo did or didn't do as well as overall lack of hustle on court.  Lavin's starting to get in a groove and looks more comfortable out there than any point in his time here.

He didn't run during substitution or high five his teammate according to Lav. Was happy with Harrison's reaction after being disciplined about it pointing to him being a leader. 
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #105 on: December 01, 2012, 09:54:27 PM »
Don't sleep on NJIT either. Jim Engles is doing a fantastic job there in turning that program around. Remember a few years ago they were laughing stock of D1 and now they're going have a chance for postseason play. They have a very good recruiting class coming in too. My man Brian Kennedy (former assistant at DePaul who recruited Q-Rich) is back coaching for Highlanders after stepping away from the game taking a job in finance. He's going to get players there.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Poison

« Reply #106 on: December 01, 2012, 10:00:34 PM »
Don't sleep on NJIT either. Jim Engles is doing a fantastic job there in turning that program around. Remember a few years ago they were laughing stock of D1 and now they're going have a chance for postseason play. They have a very good recruiting class coming in too. My man Brian Kennedy (former assistant at DePaul who recruited Q-Rich) is back coaching for Highlanders after stepping away from the game taking a job in finance. He's going to get players there.

A few years ago we were the laughing stock of D1.

But I agree, NJIT is a good scrappy team that could certainly get someone this year. I hope they do. Seton Hall next.

MCNPA

« Reply #107 on: December 01, 2012, 10:08:48 PM »

But I agree, NJIT is a good scrappy team that could certainly get someone this year. I hope they do. Seton Hall next.

Seton hall will have their hands full with NJIT.  Their roster isnt very good and I think will struggle.

« Reply #108 on: December 01, 2012, 10:18:33 PM »

Seton hall will have their hands full with NJIT.  Their roster isnt very good and I think will struggle.

Both sides are right.  NJIT is no pushover anymore they got some kids who can play.

Having said that a loss here would have been close to unforgivable.  They needed to do what they did, fight thru some poor play and free throw shooting and gut this out.

BTW Do we know why Christian Jones did not play?

« Reply #109 on: December 01, 2012, 11:43:19 PM »
Yes coach got on Dlo and Garrett when they got to the bench but what no one has mentioned was that Dlo was mouthing off back at coach. To Dlo's credit he did play much harder in the second half especially on defense. Anyone still want to describe Amir Garrett as "incredible". Not getting on Amir just that it is ridiculous to call him incredible. Don't think I would call anyone in college ball incredible right now. I would save that label for LeBron, Durrant, and Kobe.

Poison

« Reply #110 on: December 01, 2012, 11:52:41 PM »
Yes coach got on Dlo and Garrett when they got to the bench but what no one has mentioned was that Dlo was mouthing off back at coach. To Dlo's credit he did play much harder in the second half especially on defense. Anyone still want to describe Amir Garrett as "incredible". Not getting on Amir just that it is ridiculous to call him incredible. Don't think I would call anyone in college ball incredible right now. I would save that label for LeBron, Durrant, and Kobe.

IDK who would say Amir is "incredible"? He has added some news skills, but he is still a raw jump shooter, and apparently, in dire need of practice at the line. But really, they all are. This is the danger in playing a slew of cup cakes. These kids all think they are so much better than the comp that trying is optional. And ya know what, it was.

Marillac

« Reply #111 on: December 02, 2012, 11:57:44 AM »

I was the one that described him that way.  I still think he is and will be...he's incredible FOR US.  He does everything.  I never intended it to mean he was going to be an All-American or anything.  I think he can develop into an early to mid second round pick in the NBA, but what he and Greene bring to this team is so needed.  Garrett is at a tough point now with being out playing baseball for three months and havingn to adapt to Sampson shooting past him as a scoring option, but he will only get better as the season progresses.  I don't know where this team would be without Garrett.  Besides Sampson, who would ever get a rebound?  Garrett and Greene are the kind of guys you need to win championships, and both are incredible players to me. 

« Reply #112 on: December 02, 2012, 09:47:04 PM »
I would like to see Amir take a few more mid-range jumpers or even 3-pt shots. It was mentioned that he has spent a good amount of time practicing his shot and I have watched him before the games and his form looks to have improved. He seems to lack confidence, when he gets the ball on the perimeter it looks like he is thinking about shooting, then hesitates, and finally passes. Would like to see the staff encourage him to take that shot the way they have been encouraging Chris O. to do the same.

« Reply #113 on: December 02, 2012, 09:52:50 PM »

I am also one who thinks Amir has all the tools to become "incredible" at the college level. In no way does that mean I'm comparing him to Durant or LeBron, because that is absurd. He clearly is not "incredible" yet, but he shows flashes. It's important to keep in mind he is only a sophomore. He is becoming a very good rebounder. He is already a very good passer for his position. His scoring inside appears to be getting better each game. His outside game and all around offensive game is raw. But i think he will progressively get better in those areas and IMO will be a force by his senior season.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2012, 09:53:35 PM by redstorm212 »

« Reply #114 on: December 03, 2012, 04:24:50 AM »
Saw the score by halfs on ESPN. What a differernce a half can make. We got the win so lets learn from this one and on to the next.

« Reply #115 on: December 03, 2012, 10:21:11 AM »
I am also one who thinks Amir has all the tools to become "incredible" at the college level. In no way does that mean I'm comparing him to Durant or LeBron, because that is absurd. He clearly is not "incredible" yet, but he shows flashes. It's important to keep in mind he is only a sophomore. He is becoming a very good rebounder. He is already a very good passer for his position. His scoring inside appears to be getting better each game. His outside game and all around offensive game is raw. But i think he will progressively get better in those areas and IMO will be a force by his senior season.

It is "incredible" that Garrett already does something better than Shaq, Wilt and Dwight Howard. He misses free throws at a better clip! 0-9 jeez. I couldn't do that if I tried.  Actually he did something else that is "incredible". He makes Dom Pointer 45% look like Chris Mullin from the free throw line. 36% from the line is unacceptable for a dominant post player let alone a 6-6 wing player.

« Reply #116 on: December 03, 2012, 11:06:03 AM »

It is "incredible" that Garrett already does something better than Shaq, Wilt and Dwight Howard. He misses free throws at a better clip! 0-9 jeez. I couldn't do that if I tried.  Actually he did something else that is "incredible". He makes Dom Pointer 45% look like Chris Mullin from the free throw line. 36% from the line is unacceptable for a dominant post player let alone a 6-6 wing player.

I think Amir can take a lesson from Bootsy Thornton who was very good at getting a putback up with very little motion....Amir has been getting bottled up when he grabs an offensive rebound...but otherwise, he is a good player and will continue to improve
« Last Edit: December 03, 2012, 11:06:35 AM by section3 »

« Reply #117 on: December 03, 2012, 12:03:09 PM »

Well I didn't say he was a good FT shooter. It is unacceptable. FT shooting should be an easy fix for him though.

« Reply #118 on: December 03, 2012, 12:14:48 PM »
Don't know can't remember a guy going fro 34% to acceptable before. Can anyone? Never saw someone go 0-9 from the line before either to be honest

« Reply #119 on: December 03, 2012, 12:36:01 PM »
Don't know can't remember a guy going fro 34% to acceptable before. Can anyone? Never saw someone go 0-9 from the line before either to be honest

Well he was 58% last year, so it's unfair to label him a 34% free throw shooter after just 8 games. And there are plenty of examples of guys going from poor free throw shooters to acceptable ones. Generally, guys FT percentage increase as they gain experience. LaMont Hamilton shot 58% his sophomore year and 74% his senior year. Artest went from 52% to 64% in the two years he was here. Tyson Chandler on the Knicks was a 50-60% free throw shooter when he entered the league. Now he is shooting 78% for the Knicks.

It's definitely possible to change your FT approach and become an acceptable shooter. And I think you can chalk up the 0-9 to the misses getting in his head. I think he'll finish the season around 55-60%.