Fans

• 62 replies

sju89tr

Fans
« on: December 23, 2012, 11:54:31 AM »
I have not really wanted to look at these boards following the Asheville loss

We have like the worst supporters in the Big East

We live in  the biggest market and have a huge alumni base and no one shows up to games for various reasons, too far to get to Queens from work, too expensive. uncomfortable seats at CA, Garden too hard to get to from LI, etc. etc.

Instead we just hide behind the computer screen complaining about EVERYTHING, bashing the players, etc. etc.

Because of the attitude of our "fans" it makes it even harder to recruit. 

Yes, our team has been inconsistent and lacks an identity, yes you can be critical of the staff for coaching, etc. but we are a talented young team that needs YOUR support. Instead we hope all games are televised and "fans" just wait for bad stuff to happen.

It's really disappointing.   

paultzman

Re: Fans
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2012, 11:56:28 AM »

We live in  the biggest market and have a huge alumni base and no one shows up to games for various reasons, too far to get to Queens from work, too expensive. uncomfortable seats at CA, Garden too hard to get to from LI, etc. etc.

Instead we just hide behind the computer screen complaining about EVERYTHING, bashing the players, etc. etc.

Yes, our team has been inconsistent and lacks an identity, yes you can be critical of the staff for coaching, etc. but we are a talented young team that needs YOUR support. Instead we hope all games are televised and "fans" just wait for bad stuff to happen.

+1 Ted, a lot to criticize, but a lot to be hopeful about.

sju89tr

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2012, 11:58:11 AM »

+1 Ted, a lot to criticize, but a lot to be hopeful about.

I don't mean to be harsh but Rome was not built in a day, lets not forget after Lavin's first season he had only Stith remaining with 12 ships to give (11 if you count Polee). That is a lot to ask for at a program not named Kentucky.   

MCNPA

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2012, 12:03:09 PM »
Lavin did caution about us being real young this season and getting where we want to be 4-5 years in.  I think we are on track.  I didn't think we'd have 4 losses at this point though.  We really collapsed in these games and it was a bad way to lose.  Regardless, I'm SJU through and through.  It's a long season to go.  All fans should be fully on board. Nothing is over at this point with the entire big east schedule to play.  We just can't finish on the bubble... Gotta finish top 6 or so... ;)

sju89tr

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2012, 12:12:01 PM »
Lavin did caution about us being real young this season and getting where we want to be 4-5 years in.  I think we are on track.  I didn't think we'd have 4 losses at this point though.  We really collapsed in these games and it was a bad way to lose.  Regardless, I'm SJU through and through.  It's a long season to go.  All fans should be fully on board. Nothing is over at this point with the entire big east schedule to play.  We just can't finish on the bubble... Gotta finish top 6 or so... ;)

I thought 1 loss at this point. I felt we would be further along at this point. Perhaps overly optimistic on my part with such a young team. I also felt we would have Sanchez. I don't blame anyone for Sanchez, the NCAA always comes into play.

The season is hardly over but there is no room for error at this point. 

boo3

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2012, 12:16:18 PM »
  Agree with this post.  I think for the most part the people on here are legit, supportive fans.  With any site like this there will always those that like to provoke and end up making the fanbase , as a whole, look bad.

I will be the first to admit that I don't attend many games anymore.   Was a season ticket holder ( through a third party) for 20 years.  That third party didn't renew during the end of Norm's reign.  Not because of the performance on the court, but because he had a child die prematurely and his renewal , for me, was no longer a priority.  Understandable.

I try and get to a game or two a season now,but its tough.  I live in N.Jersey, have 3 kids under 8, and have been working 2 jobs  lately.

Regardless of this, I'm still a die-hard fan and always will be. Maybe I give Lavin and this staff too much leeway, but I think they deserve it from us.  Their track record is proven.  Like Ted said, this is not an overnight process.  We are recruiting talent here that we haven't seen in over a decade.  I still have all the confidence in the world that we will be a perennial top 20 program again in the NEAR future.

It's very easy to sit at a CPU and spew venom and critique. Shit, we have peeps looking into the shoes we wear?  Lol.  In 2010, a light went on after that Fordham loss.. Something similar could happen this season, with this team.

Keep the faith.

Go St. John's!

Tiznow

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2012, 12:17:41 PM »

How many of the people trashing the players and the coach actually support the program?

nudginator59

• It's better to be a Smart ass then a Dumb shart
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2012, 12:28:29 PM »
Nobody went to Yankees games in the early 90s. The Mets struggle to fill the stadium now. St. John's has been stulruggling for a long time and they have been inconsistent this season. These last few games St. John's has been a disappointment so far this season...what exactly are fans supposed to get excited about? The school demographics have change where you have more international students who do not care about basketball. St. John's needs to win and this alone will create a fan base. It is hard to develop a relationship with this teams because this is the third time in three years that this team has changed. Wasn't there 4k at the game on Friday? I am not saying this season is lost or  coach should be fired but when you put up a stinker like Friday you can't blame the general fan base saying here we go again...
Cougar O' Malley

sju89tr

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2012, 12:36:28 PM »
Nobody went to Yankees games in the early 90s. The Mets struggle to fill the stadium now. St. John's has been stulruggling for a long time and they have been inconsistent this season. These last few games St. John's has been a disappointment so far this season...what exactly are fans supposed to get excited about? The school demographics have change where you have more international students who do not care about basketball. St. John's needs to win and this alone will create a fan base. It is hard to develop a relationship with this teams because this is the third time in three years that this team has changed. Wasn't there 4k at the game on Friday? I am not saying this season is lost or  coach should be fired but when you put up a stinker like Friday you can't blame the general fan base saying here we go again...

So the school and our kids only deserve support if we are winners? 

nudginator59

« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2012, 12:51:10 PM »
I am not saying it is right or wrong, but if you want the casual fan to show up you need to win. St. John's is not in the middle of nowhere where there is nothing else to do. Why should the average fan care? We have been bad for so long and this team has been allowed to rot that a whole generation of Johnny fans have been lost. We need momentum which will inspire hope and interest and eventually a fan base once again.
Cougar O' Malley

« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2012, 12:55:13 PM »

How many of the people trashing the players and the coach actually support the program?
The coaching during games this season has left a lot to be desired, I'm a season ticket holder, I'm also a New Yorker, we tend to be critical.  We (New Yorkers) are also considered to be among the
most astute fans in the country.  If you're going to coach on the big stage and earn the big bucks, you're going to get criticized.  After those fifteen years  of mostly horrible hoops, we may have a much
shorter fuse, but we "fans" who paid for season tickets during that time have earned the right to criticize.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2012, 02:51:07 PM by Moon Mullen »

« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2012, 12:58:58 PM »
Great post Moon

nrb155

« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2012, 03:03:19 PM »
Completely agree with nudg... wadda you think were in central upstate where either you to to applebees or an su game for a night out? No, ppl have plenty of options which probably don't include mediocre college bball.  also dont think that convenience isn't a factor either.... you think it might be a tad easier getting to the dome on a tractor as opposed to fighting through the l.I.e and God forbid you're coming from Jersey, its like a minefield.  Now obviously you can't control the latter, but the prior is certainly a valid point.  I have stuck by this team and continue to go to games on a regular basis. I feel no guilt for sharing my displeasure after a second half showing put forth on Friday. It comes to a point where after 20 years the same b.s. gets a little old.  that being said, I look  forward to our coaching staff making the proper adjustments and getting ready for BE play.  Can only take one game at a time, lets hope our problem areas are addressed and the team learns from their early mistakes.

Tiznow

« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2012, 03:33:57 PM »
Syracuse is a top five program coming off a season when they were at the top of the polls all season.  They own NY.  However, even with that going for them they only drew 2k more fans than SJU drew last Saturday.

If SJU gets back into the top 20 they will draw more attention from the local media and the casual fans.  People know that one school is from upstate and one is from NYC. 

« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2012, 04:01:53 PM »
My problem is not with the international students who don't care about basketball; or even the casual fans who are not interested because we are not winning.  The problem is the fans who care enough to come on the borads all day everyday---but only to criticize, not critique.  You can talk about a kid's lack of production without attacking his character.

Also, if you are fan enough to post everyday, and you live in NYC, go to the games.  Even if not every game, try to make as many as possible.  To boo3, your situation makes it understandable why you don't come out often.  Hold it down for us when we play in Jersey against Rutgers and The Hall.

Until this year, I've attended every home gave the last 5 years (except Duke for a funeral out of State a few years ago, and WVU last game of the year due to a work obligation a couple of years back).  I've traveled to Nova, Uconn, PC, SHU and Rutgers.  I wanted to travel a bit further out in the coming years but that is changing with the collapse of the BE. 

A good home following is so important for recruiting; and recruiting is so important for winning.  If we sit back and wait for a winning team before we start to support them, the we are not real fans.  I love my teams whether they are winning or losing.  Financial concerns are the only excuse that would make me not attend as many games as possible.

To each his own...I guess.

« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2012, 07:16:04 PM »
Completely agree with nudg... wadda you think were in central upstate where either you to to applebees or an su game for a night out? No, ppl have plenty of options which probably don't include mediocre college bball.  also dont think that convenience isn't a factor either.... you think it might be a tad easier getting to the dome on a tractor as opposed to fighting through the l.I.e and God forbid you're coming from Jersey, its like a minefield.  Now obviously you can't control the latter, but the prior is certainly a valid point.  I have stuck by this team and continue to go to games on a regular basis. I feel no guilt for sharing my displeasure after a second half showing put forth on Friday. It comes to a point where after 20 years the same b.s. gets a little old.  that being said, I look  forward to our coaching staff making the proper adjustments and getting ready for BE play.  Can only take one game at a time, lets hope our problem areas are addressed and the team learns from their early mistakes.

Great post ...... I too have attended games for many years with my kids.  I laugh at posters who are naive enough to make such ridiculous comments as " there only kids" , etc.  The fact is that these kids are getting paid in excess of 50K a year plus perks that are not talked about and we have a coaching staff whose salaries add up to the millions of dollars, certainly gives one the right to criticize the performance on the court.  Add to that the absurd ticket prices at the Garden and you question why fans would not want to show up?  Welcome to reality TV. Who in their right mind, fan or otherwise, is going to take his family of 4 at $85 bucks a ticket, $9 bucks a beer , $8 for French fries etc.etc. Etc.  to a game that is poorly played and frustrating to watch.  What did the ghost say to Kevin Costner?  " if you build it, they will come"

« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2012, 07:26:21 PM »

Great post ...... I too have attended games for many years with my kids.   

The hopes of half the posters on johnnyjungle are now down the tubes as they were hoping you were some college hottie who is single and your biggest turnon was guys who post on message boards all day

Poison

« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2012, 07:39:57 PM »
Syracuse is a top five program coming off a season when they were at the top of the polls all season.  They own NY.  However, even with that going for them they only drew 2k more fans than SJU drew last Saturday.

If SJU gets back into the top 20 they will draw more attention from the local media and the casual fans.  People know that one school is from upstate and one is from NYC.  H

It's true we are fair weather fans. It is what defines St.John's more than anything. If we win, there will be room on the band wagon.

nudginator59

« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2012, 11:11:02 AM »
What is a true fan base? Is it the Chicago cub fan who no matter what will go to a game and sell out the stadium and not force ownership to change the way they do business, hence they have not won a World Series in 100 years and have not been to a World Series in over 60years. Or be a Yankee fan you put out a crappy product nobody will show up forcing you to change. I gurantee if Syracuse was as bad as we were for the last 20years there fans ass would not be as big. As a Johnny fan going to a game in Sryacuse and at the Garden it is not fun to watch your team get dismantled on the court and then have to take crap after the game from them. Why go through all that trouble just to deal with that? Once St. John's start building momentum and give their fan base hope you will see the fan come out, until the. Why spen all that money and travel time just to be made fun of?
Cougar O' Malley

« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2012, 11:19:54 AM »

Great post ...... I too have attended games for many years with my kids.   

The hopes of half the posters on johnnyjungle are now down the tubes as they were hoping you were some college hottie who is single and your biggest turnon was guys who post on message boards all day

Yourself included?
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle