Villanova game thread

• 613 replies
Re: Villanova game thread
« Reply #400 on: January 02, 2013, 10:43:51 PM »
Bright side: We win this one by 10 with Sanchez.

No

I think so. Pinkston wouldn't do whatever he wanted. And we'd get rebounds.

« Reply #401 on: January 02, 2013, 10:44:02 PM »
This performance by lavin and the refs was laughable.

each of them costs us the game on countless occassions.

Sampson comitted two fouls when he fouled out. They only called the one. I am just saying

What is your opinion of the refs tonight?

Mine is I havnt seen a worse job all year.

Favored Nova as all college games do towards a team with a decent home court. Certainly not as bad as some have made it out to be. We fouled a lot becuase they were bigger and stronger than us down low.

Favored is an understatement IMO. How bout suttan elbow in the first half. Not even a flagrant 1? no one would have been surprised if he got ejected. As for us fouling a lot because they were bigger and stronger, I agree.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #402 on: January 02, 2013, 10:44:07 PM »
Not sure what people are constantly whining about?  We shot well, and were in position to win tonight.  Foul situation was huge in Nova's favor, and nobody can deny that.  What was wrong with the coaching?  This was a war and a lopsided reffing job pushed us over the edge. 

WOW!
Did you not see the play out of the timeout at end of regulation. Did you not see Phil Greene playing the point with Branch on the floor. Listen, before the game Lavin even said the team does not always play smart. Um that is on you coach. You usually don't hear that about well coached teams.

« Reply #403 on: January 02, 2013, 10:44:29 PM »
we look tired.

and that's a disgrace.  you cannot use "we are a young team" and "we look tired" as legitimate excuses.  They shouldn't go together.  They're young, so they should have the energy.

im not using it as an excuse. im just saying it as a fact.

not saying you were specifically, I'm just done with the excuses from other people around all the st. john's boards.  How many more excuses can Lavin and co have before there are results?  he has shown zero coaching acumen

He got a team that was a 7 seed in the NIT the previous year to a 6 seed in the NCAA tournament the next.  Calm down.

With Dunlap and a veteran squad with someone else's players...I don't want to make it seem like I'm defending Norm because he was terrible and I wanted him out but Lavin hasn't shown any in-game coaching ability of his own and has no results to date with his own players.  Obviously it's early but the powerhouse talk was premature, as usual.

Wouldn't having someone else's players be more of a representation of true coaching ability?  And stop with the Dunlap stuff.  If Dunlap has such a golden touch why did we finish with a losing record last year and why has his NBA team won once in their last 19 games?

Dan

« Reply #404 on: January 02, 2013, 10:45:07 PM »
Not sure what people are constantly whining about?  We shot well, and were in position to win tonight.  Foul situation was huge in Nova's favor, and nobody can deny that.  What was wrong with the coaching?  This was a war and a lopsided reffing job pushed us over the edge. 

WOW!
Did you not see the play out of the timeout at end of regulation. Did you not see Phil Greene playing the point with Branch on the floor. Listen, before the game Lavin even said the team does not always play smart. Um that is on you coach. You usually don't hear that about well coached teams.

we're a young team

has seemingly replaced norm's "gotta give the other team credit"

« Reply #405 on: January 02, 2013, 10:45:17 PM »

« Reply #406 on: January 02, 2013, 10:45:24 PM »
Phil dribbles the ball up.
Karr comes up to the top. Ball is handed off.
Karr looks for D'Lo.

Run 4 times in a row.
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

« Reply #407 on: January 02, 2013, 10:45:31 PM »
I'm not sure about Lavin's "coaching acumen" either.  Is he calling the wrong plays? Or not drawing them up correctly on the clipboard? Or not explaining them properly to the players?

I'm sure he didn't draw up the play for Phil to pull back and shoot from 25' as the shotclock ran out.  It seems to me that maybe because the defender has been in D'Angelo's jersey most of the 2nd half, they had to look for something other than what the coach may have drawn up.

Poison

« Reply #408 on: January 02, 2013, 10:45:41 PM »
Branch showing immaturity in the OT period. Shot selection horrible.

Yeah but Green plays the point like a Special Ed kid trying to do Geometry, IT JUST LOOKS TO HARD FOR HIM

That's "too hard". Special Ed :)

Chilleb

« Reply #409 on: January 02, 2013, 10:45:56 PM »
How dosent Harrison get a touch with 30 seconds left and the gem tied and he's already got 30+.... Because the coach assigns the guy who has kilt us in the half court all year to initiate the offense. Lavin really solidified himself as an anti-x and O guy.

« Reply #410 on: January 02, 2013, 10:46:09 PM »

MCN im not one to harp at Lavin, but if you can, rewatch the last 4-5 minutes and the over time period. what you will see is our own team playing keep away from our best player who is having a CAREER night
I think the problem was our guys were looking too much for D'Angelo in the early part of OT.  No movement and just wait for D'Angelo to get open.  Hate to say it but we should have atleast used the weave to get Nova to play a little D.

we are so easy to defend when deangelo is not involved it is laughable.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #411 on: January 02, 2013, 10:46:37 PM »
Refs were way worse than Lavin.  Turning point to me was the 3 on 1 break with a chance to go up 5 or 6 and instead of attaching the rim, someone kicked it to D'Angelo and he fired a 3 with Jim Burr right in his face!!  Get a dunk there and I think we hang on to win in regulation!!

No to me the turning point no doubt was the 3 pt foul on Hilliard by Garrett.  SJU had grabbed momentum, up 3 with under 2 minutes and in one play you give it back.   Because clearly Nova was beginning to struggle with missed shots. 

Harrison's miss hurt a little buth SJU ended up getting a stop and then grabbed the lead later.

Tough loss considering what is up next.  Cincinnati is a big time road opponent.

Dan

« Reply #412 on: January 02, 2013, 10:47:00 PM »
we look tired.

and that's a disgrace.  you cannot use "we are a young team" and "we look tired" as legitimate excuses.  They shouldn't go together.  They're young, so they should have the energy.

not saying you were specifically, I'm just done with the excuses from other people around all the st. john's boards.  How many more excuses can Lavin and co have before there are results?  he has shown zero coaching acumen

He got a team that was a 7 seed in the NIT the previous year to a 6 seed in the NCAA tournament the next.  Calm down.

With Dunlap and a veteran squad with someone else's players...I don't want to make it seem like I'm defending Norm because he was terrible and I wanted him out but Lavin hasn't shown any in-game coaching ability of his own and has no results to date with his own players.  Obviously it's early but the powerhouse talk was premature, as usual.

Wouldn't having someone else's players be more of a representation of true coaching ability?  And stop with the Dunlap stuff.  If Dunlap has such a golden touch why did we finish with a losing record last year and why has his NBA team won once in their last 19 games?

Yeah, Dunlap's.  I feel bad I ever criticized the guy.  And...if you have zero to work with, even a good coach won't get anything done...the Bobcats are brutal.  STJ has talent.  Yes they finished with a losing record last year but this team looks like they've learned zero from last year.  Come on.

« Reply #413 on: January 02, 2013, 10:47:06 PM »
Branch showing immaturity in the OT period. Shot selection horrible.

Yeah but Green plays the point like a Special Ed kid trying to do Geometry, IT JUST LOOKS TO HARD FOR HIM

That's "too hard". Special Ed :)
Don't be that guy

Chilleb

« Reply #414 on: January 02, 2013, 10:47:55 PM »
we look tired.

Easy ....both reasons are lack of talent. Tonight we were the superior talented team

Dan

« Reply #415 on: January 02, 2013, 10:48:00 PM »
I'm not sure about Lavin's "coaching acumen" either.  Is he calling the wrong plays? Or not drawing them up correctly on the clipboard? Or not explaining them properly to the players?

I'm sure he didn't draw up the play for Phil to pull back and shoot from 25' as the shotclock ran out.  It seems to me that maybe because the defender has been in D'Angelo's jersey most of the 2nd half, they had to look for something other than what the coach may have drawn up.

But why is Phil even the PG in that spot?

Poison

« Reply #416 on: January 02, 2013, 10:48:12 PM »
Phil dribbles the ball up.
Karr comes up to the top. Ball is handed off.
Karr looks for D'Lo.

Run 4 times in a row.

Phil Greene has been watching tape of Derek Brown running the 93-94 Red Storm. It's Brian Mahoney's famous "Statue Offense". It's pretty frightening to see Lavin adopt it.

Happy

« Reply #417 on: January 02, 2013, 10:49:20 PM »
Bright side: We win this one by 10 with Sanchez.

No

I think so. Pinkston wouldn't do whatever he wanted. And we'd get rebounds.

I'm not one to say Sanchez couldn't stop Pinkston.. But he isn't a program changer and he certainly doesn't have bulk like Pinkston .  Sanchez will help.. But this team has so many other problems then not having Sanchez.  I'm not going to whine like I did after last loss.. But I'll just chalk it up to it being a inexperienced team ( which happens to be not fun to watch).  And pray that Phil Greene doesn't play another second at PG the rest of the year. 

« Reply #418 on: January 02, 2013, 10:50:27 PM »
Two straight years the season is done by jan 2. So disappointing

« Reply #419 on: January 02, 2013, 10:50:44 PM »

Sure, why would anyone complain about losing a game to a team that was blown out by Columbia.  You have got to be kidding right?