Villanova game thread

• 613 replies

paultzman

Re: Villanova game thread
« Reply #500 on: January 03, 2013, 10:40:45 AM »
Another thing I'll add.  How does a guy like Arcidiacono shoot almost 20 free throws and never actually drive to the basket to draw them?  Kid didn't drive to the basket at all.  We had to back off him because the refs called it like it was their son out there.

Yeah people were posting before the game about his PG skills.  Kid didn't look like a PG at all to me.

He certainly was given treatment usually reserved for upper class All Americans by Jim Burr and crew. I think Burr officiated in Tony Jackson era. Retire already!!

Moose

« Reply #501 on: January 03, 2013, 10:43:18 AM »
Another thing I'll add.  How does a guy like Arcidiacono shoot almost 20 free throws and never actually drive to the basket to draw them?  Kid didn't drive to the basket at all.  We had to back off him because the refs called it like it was their son out there.

Yeah people were posting before the game about his PG skills.  Kid didn't look like a PG at all to me.

He certainly was given treatment usually reserved for upper class All Americans by Jim Burr and crew. I think Burr officiated in Tony Jackson era. Retire already!!

I thought it was said this summer him and/or Higgins retired?  I've seen them both do multiple games for us this year
Remember who broke the Slice news

sju89tr

« Reply #502 on: January 03, 2013, 10:57:08 AM »
I know people will say I am making excuses but we got ticky tacked the entire game, 4 guys fouled out, our interior guys all were in foul trouble within the first 10 min and the stats from the line were 42 to 20. Was Nova playing any less physical than us? I dont think so. I saw the same BS happen to Providence last night on Ville's home court. Such a joke. In addition Branch gets a T (yes he deserved it) but Sutton doesn't in first have with a blow to the face of Pointer.     

« Reply #503 on: January 03, 2013, 11:06:46 AM »
I know people will say I am making excuses but we got ticky tacked the entire game, 4 guys fouled out, our interior guys all were in foul trouble within the first 10 min and the stats from the line were 42 to 20. Was Nova playing any less physical than us? I dont think so. I saw the same BS happen to Providence last night on Ville's home court. Such a joke. In addition Branch gets a T (yes he deserved it) but Sutton doesn't in first have with a blow to the face of Pointer.     

St. John's also committed a bunch of stupid fouls 50ft from the basket.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #504 on: January 03, 2013, 11:20:54 AM »
Jays move to have Jayvon P bring up the ball with 4.5 seconds to go in the game was rather odd.  Ryan was open but they looked for Jayvon.

With a comment like this you show a complete lack of understanding of the game and you were definitely not paying attention to the announcers.

- SJU played great inbounds defense on this play and Pinkston flashed from just inside half court, like he is supposed to, to insure the ball got inbounded with less than 5 seconds left.
 - The annoucers specifically praised the play after it happened because you can't give up a 5 sec inbounds violation under your own basket with a few seconds left. Glad you were paying attention to the game though.

Obviously it was you who were in a daze as Ryan arcidiocono was open for the pass on the left side and would have been a better option but the inbounds passer ignored him. And yes I was paying attention to the game.  What's the matter little boy.  Did you get no love from your  mommy that you have to put down others?

« Reply #505 on: January 03, 2013, 11:28:59 AM »
Desco, Nova had a 42-20 Free throw advantage.  More than double, which is a huge advantage for any team, especially in an OT game on the road.

We shot 47.1% from the field and 50% from 3 which are both very good considering those criticizing the offense.  Seems pretty obvious that we had a few stumbles during the game that we couldn't recover from when the opposing team gets 30 points at the line.

While the game did look a bit lopsided in the officiating department, I just hate to use officiating as an excuse for losing. When we win a close game at CA and shoot far more free throws then the other team, I never see anyone come on here and say that we had an officiating advantage.  We are losing games due to our rebounding issues and jello defense.  Our offense is adequate due to great individual talent. Good teams don't point to refs when it comes to wins or losses.

« Reply #506 on: January 03, 2013, 11:39:54 AM »

I thought it was said this summer him and/or Higgins retired?  I've seen them both do multiple games for us this year

Higgins and Bob Donato retired.  Timmy did a few games down in Maui, because he wanted to end it down there (guess it was his favorite place to work).

« Reply #507 on: January 03, 2013, 12:16:26 PM »
My next morning observations.

-thank god for D'los contacts. If he shoots this well we will compete in the bigeast. That one shot he took with the ref in his face in the second was a really bad shot however.

-Amir garrett left everything he had out there on the court. He deserved to leave with a win. I hope he starts to room with Jones, if only he had half his toughness.
-Phil played about the best and worst game of his career. Surprisingly to few the good half was off the ball and the bad half was while he manned the point.
-Branch can pass the ball, understands tempo. Really needs to work on his defense and his shot selection. Regardless I want him running the show for 30 minutes.
-Jakarr had a repeat of his first game, im not to worried and think he will adjust.
-Chris- it is probably lavins set up, but chris should not touch the ball behind the three point line ever. Put him down low to set screen and grab rebound.
-Pointer played ok, hustles but still makes stupid chances which result in stupid fouls and easy buckets for the other team. His goal should be to grab 5 rebounds a game.
-Marco I am sorry for you man. lavin is playing with you, no way to treat a shooter. People say he cant play d, well no body does anyway. At least he crashes the boards.

Lavin- your best player cannot go the last ten minutes of the game without having the offense run through him.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #508 on: January 03, 2013, 12:17:46 PM »
Sure would have loved to see marco get some burn with branch tonight. The one shot marco got, phil gave him the ball  about 3 seconds too late. Marco missed badly.

Marco is so slow on defense that he just can't be out there. They blew right by him as if he wasn't even there. What we really need is for Branch to be the point guard we've been lacking. The defense I don't know if they'll fix it. We just don't care to do it. It is so uncharactaristic of a St.John's team.

We play like Depaul. Like a we don't want to get hurt.

Yes but poison NO ONE is playing perimeter D.
Agree on the Depaul comparison.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #509 on: January 03, 2013, 01:07:52 PM »

They threw Higgins a bone, he did 1 game in Virginia and finished his career in this years Maui Classic.  Burr should have retired 15 years ago, his attitude sucks.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2013, 01:08:25 PM by Mullin20 »

SJUFAN

« Reply #510 on: January 03, 2013, 01:29:16 PM »
I would caution blaming the Coach for the players' lack of excution. If Coach designs a play were D'Lo comes off a down screen to get open for the ball and he doesn't get it, is that the Coach's fault? Green, Pointer, and Garrett (love his heart) deserve limited minutes. Marco shouldn't even see the floor. As a team, defensively, they are not playing together and that is on Coach.   

Moose

« Reply #511 on: January 03, 2013, 01:31:29 PM »
I would caution blaming the Coach for the players' lack of excution. If Coach designs a play were D'Lo comes off a down screen to get open for the ball and he doesn't get it, is that the Coach's fault? Green, Pointer, and Garrett (love his heart) deserve limited minutes. Marco shouldn't even see the floor. As a team, defensively, they are not playing together and that is on Coach.   

Be careful.  You will get called a cheerleader or pom pom waiver.

« Reply #512 on: January 03, 2013, 01:34:14 PM »
-33 in an overtime game + the ridiculous T is a disastrous effort.  Ever hear the one about the backup quarterback on a losing team?

And you guys are wondering why Hollywood didn't play him more???

Well for starters lets take away the whole -12 in OT.  That was a wash for everyone.  Nobody could have had any confidence in us winning that game in OT with the whole team having 4 fouls it seemed.

-21 then still seems like a lot.  Of course the next biggest chunk was -10 to end the 1st half.  I dont think anyone here has bad eyesight but its clear the offense moves better with Branch in the game.  Which is why these numbers are all the more head scratching.

He had the worst +/- on the team by far.  Spin it anyway you'ld like.

Not spinning it.  Just putting the game in perspective.  Its personal opinion and personally I'd rather have Branch in the game with the ball in his hands than Phil.  He played less minutes.  Shot the ball better and pretty much had identical A to TO.

I too understand that the Aggie was highly regarded out of high school and so rightfully should and will be a big part of what we're doing going forward.  I want him to succeed as much as the next poster.  But could point guard populare have one decent game before we canonize him and demonize Greenjeans? 

He's dished out 5 asstsss. to 8 To's in his two outings.  Heard he was a defensive stalwart but Robby Benson et. all were blowing by him like he had cement shoes.  Granted you could say that about many of our quick, athletic defenders.  I would be praising him for his good offensive outing except for the stupid a$$ T that cost us the game.  A player still in his probationary apprenticeship with us should have been better behaved.

« Reply #513 on: January 03, 2013, 01:36:01 PM »

It was playing Phil at the point in the waning minutes of regulation that was on Coach. Phil cannot execute at the point, especially in the halfcourt, like Jamal can.

So while it's on the players to execute, it's on Coach to have the right players on the floor to execute in the most efficient manner possible.

Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

Moose

« Reply #514 on: January 03, 2013, 01:37:41 PM »
-33 in an overtime game + the ridiculous T is a disastrous effort.  Ever hear the one about the backup quarterback on a losing team?

And you guys are wondering why Hollywood didn't play him more???

Well for starters lets take away the whole -12 in OT.  That was a wash for everyone.  Nobody could have had any confidence in us winning that game in OT with the whole team having 4 fouls it seemed.

-21 then still seems like a lot.  Of course the next biggest chunk was -10 to end the 1st half.  I dont think anyone here has bad eyesight but its clear the offense moves better with Branch in the game.  Which is why these numbers are all the more head scratching.

He had the worst +/- on the team by far.  Spin it anyway you'ld like.

Not spinning it.  Just putting the game in perspective.  Its personal opinion and personally I'd rather have Branch in the game with the ball in his hands than Phil.  He played less minutes.  Shot the ball better and pretty much had identical A to TO.

I too understand that the Aggie was highly regarded out of high school and so rightfully should and will be a big part of what we're doing going forward.  I want him to succeed as much as the next poster.  But could point guard populare have one decent game before we canonize him and demonize Greenjeans? 

He's dished out 5 asstsss. to 8 To's in his two outings.  Heard he was a defensive stalwart but Robby Benson et. all were blowing by him like he had cement shoes.  Granted you could say that about many of our quick, athletic defenders.  I would be praising him for his good offensive outing except for the stupid a$$ T that cost us the game.  A player still in his probationary apprenticeship with us should have been better behaved.

Sometimes your name references blow by me.  I'll chalk it up to age.  Not sure who Robby Benson is but if your referring to Ryan he wasn't blowing by anyone.  Plus it was our pitiful interpretation of a zone he was dicing up, not man to man. 

So he threw a guy to the ground.  Wish half the team showed some emotion.  Most of the time they are in catatonic state unless they get a thunderous dunk which is worth the same as a nice soft layup.

Nova tired because with Branch we run.  Greene is like an extra 5 timeouts for the other team.  I can run to piss, get a beer and get back to my seat before he decides to do something with the ball.

paultzman

« Reply #515 on: January 03, 2013, 01:38:06 PM »

It was playing Phil at the point in the waning minutes of regulation that was on Coach. Phil cannot execute at the point, especially in the halfcourt, like Jamal can.

So while it's on the players to execute, it's on Coach to have the right players on the floor to execute in the most efficient manner possible.

Choz on his game, as usual!!

« Reply #516 on: January 03, 2013, 01:39:55 PM »
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0076500/

For you and the other Meese too young to remember Robby Benson.

« Reply #517 on: January 03, 2013, 01:40:36 PM »

Agreed but Phil hit some big shots down the stretch that got us to OT, you cant have it both ways

« Reply #518 on: January 03, 2013, 01:43:48 PM »
Sometimes your name references blow by me.  I'll chalk it up to age.  Not sure who Robby Benson is

Ask Wasju.  He was a card carrying charter member of his fan club back in the day and still has a poster of him on his bedroom wall to this day.

Did you go to the game yesterday?

Moose

« Reply #519 on: January 03, 2013, 01:44:26 PM »

Agreed but Phil hit some big shots down the stretch that got us to OT, you cant have it both ways

Yeah he can hit those shots.  Without the ball in his hands for 30 seconds on the shot clock.