Rutgers Game

• 295 replies
Re: Rutgers Game
« Reply #240 on: January 09, 2013, 10:52:39 PM »
Rutgers is an ACC team, what you guys expect?

Riddle me this: how many shotputs before Karr is on the Olympic shotput team?

That's straight up the mucinex talkin
« Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 10:53:36 PM by Choz4Life »
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

redslope

« Reply #241 on: January 09, 2013, 10:53:56 PM »
Just back and quite disappointed.  have scanned through the comments and find them interesting from various points of view.  We had a horrible first 5 or so minutes in each half. The team was like sleep walking.  A lot of the onus for this has to be on Dangelo.  he basically did not score in the first 10 minutes of each half.  If he is the leader, then he must lead.  His "clutch/money" free throws down the stretch were unacceptable.  He did not have his 3pt touch tonight but was getting fouled when he took it to the hoop.  On the second last possesstion the tam cleared out the right side for him--down one you take it to the hoop--he either gets the basket or the foul call but he elects the 3pt which was not needed.

Phil has to learn that the 3pt shot is not going in and look to drive and dish not go 2 for 9 (22%) shooting is unacceptable.

As pointed out the defense is showing signs of improving.  RU got a lot of points off fast breaks but was fairly stiffled when we were able to get in the zone.  Chris (don't talk about his FT shooting) is finally learning to rebound unlike the first 10 games when he would have more blocks than rebounds.  He had 11 tonight along with 4 blocks.

Officiating was horrible tonight.  foul of Chris, which is a smart idea, where RU player went for his chest rather than ball should have been 2 (misses) and the ball.  Walks that were missed were a joke and foul call on Sir when the RU player had pushed off was a joke--even the guy in front of me who was rooting for RU could not believe the call.  But as bad as it was, the blame is on the players for poor shooting/selection.  I want to see more of Marco and Free Sanchez now!

« Reply #242 on: January 09, 2013, 10:58:08 PM »
When your starting PG has 1 assist in 34 minutes, that's a major problem

« Reply #243 on: January 09, 2013, 11:01:38 PM »
This game hurts but its not the end of the world. Rutgers isn't a horrible team. Free throws are the new rebounding problem. 

They need a 2-1 home stand. Still possible.

« Reply #244 on: January 09, 2013, 11:08:46 PM »
just a tough game I missed where the coaching went bad. Harrison had the ball down the stretch and couldn't deliver. It happens! Sampson keeps making the same mistake, but he will learn

Maybe because Lavin wasted 2 timeouts in 1 possession therefore we had none at end of game.

« Reply #245 on: January 09, 2013, 11:15:54 PM »
Uwsfan watch what u wish for

Are u saying Lav in on short leash?

desco80

« Reply #246 on: January 09, 2013, 11:21:29 PM »
Uwsfan watch what u wish for

Are u saying Lav in on short leash?

From an administration that tolerated Norm for 6 years?  Ha 

paultzman

« Reply #247 on: January 09, 2013, 11:22:50 PM »
Jut got home from the game. The only positive was meeting paultzman and seeing mjmaher, Mcnpa, and Alfredo. The rest sucked.

Great meeting you as well gman! It was the highlight of my night as well! Rotten game!
« Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 11:23:25 PM by paultzman »

« Reply #248 on: January 09, 2013, 11:35:20 PM »
just a tough game I missed where the coaching went bad. Harrison had the ball down the stretch and couldn't deliver. It happens! Sampson keeps making the same mistake, but he will learn

Maybe because Lavin wasted 2 timeouts in 1 possession therefore we had none at end of game.

Can't believe Lavin missed those free throws too.

« Reply #249 on: January 09, 2013, 11:38:16 PM »

Can't believe Lavin missed those free throws too.

No, but the team needs to shoot better then 309 out of all D1 teams and that is on Lavin.

« Reply #250 on: January 09, 2013, 11:56:04 PM »
Lavin did everything right at the end of the game.  The plan was to foul the right guys, hoping they'd miss and we come down and score.  DLo unfortunately fouled Mack with 31 seconds to go.  He is, I believe, their best free throw shooter and he buried both.  Fouling Poole on the next 2 possessions worked out.  We got the ball with the chance to tie or win.  Our best player missed the shot.  Can't blame the coach for that.

When they cleared out the right side of the court and DLo had a one on one, I thought he would drive to the hoop.  If he had been shooting free throws better tonight, he might have looked to get fouled.  I think he had more confidence in his ability to hit a jumper at that point.

« Reply #251 on: January 10, 2013, 12:04:53 AM »
Jut got home from the game. The only positive was meeting paultzman and seeing mjmaher, Mcnpa, and Alfredo. The rest sucked.
pretty much summed up the night

Also pretty Ironic that Paultzman ended up in the seat right in front of you. small world

« Reply #252 on: January 10, 2013, 12:10:35 AM »
Lavin did everything right at the end of the game.  The plan was to foul the right guys, hoping they'd miss and we come down and score.  DLo unfortunately fouled Mack with 31 seconds to go.  He is, I believe, their best free throw shooter and he buried both.  Fouling Poole on the next 2 possessions worked out.  We got the ball with the chance to tie or win.  Our best player missed the shot.  Can't blame the coach for that.

When they cleared out the right side of the court and DLo had a one on one, I thought he would drive to the hoop.  If he had been shooting free throws better tonight, he might have looked to get fouled.  I think he had more confidence in his ability to hit a jumper at that point.

That jumper was an NBA three.  He could have used better judgement.  A shot of that distance at that point in time, with the defecit we had is a bit too ( as a friend of mine described it) arrogant. And believe me, I am a D Lo fan and recognize that without him he may ave won 3 games, but that shot was uncalled for.

« Reply #253 on: January 10, 2013, 12:25:00 AM »
Only positive is I admire Sampson for wanting to take the last shot. No one else besides D-lo would have the balls to take it.

FT shooting, bad first half rebounding, and another poor start. Can't be down 10 in first 5 minutes every game.

I don't think Branch is the answer at the point, but Phil certainly isn't. I'm hoping Branch is a case of rust and his eye not 100%.  If not, we are in trouble. 

I am of the opinion that this is more on the players than the staff.  Dumb turnovers and missed FT aren't something the staff has control over. 

I dont get what people have against branch. He played good. dished out 3 assists which accounted for 8 points and a point from himself. IN 8 MINUTES!

I hope I'm wrong.. I'm not seeing it.  Why didn't he play down the stretch again?  You have to admit, he has been careless with the ball in limited action.   I will gladly admit I'm wrong if/when he turns into the PG this team needs.

He hasnt been super protective with the ball, I think 3/4ths of his TO's have been the same one he had today, come down the middle on the break and not sure whether he should drive/pass/ or shoot. That might be because he hasnt played in over a year and Lavin pulls him every couple of minutes.

What is absolutly 100% obvious to me is that he can pass the ball and he can get to the hole. 2 things that phil greene 100% cant do. good enough for me. Let phill spot up on the wing and just worry about scoring.

Absolutely! Phil needs to be off the ball...I actually think he dribbles behind his back by bouncing it and jumping in front of it...Branch's risk taking may result in some turnovers but I absolutely see the potential for double digit assists on some nights...he can make other guys (besides Harrison) better...no one else on the team remotely has that ability

I know its crazy but its almost as if Lavin wants Jordan to see the possibilty of minutes by not playing Branch
« Last Edit: January 10, 2013, 12:35:00 AM by section3 »

« Reply #254 on: January 10, 2013, 12:45:49 AM »

That jumper was an NBA three.  He could have used better judgement.  A shot of that distance at that point in time, with the defecit we had is a bit too ( as a friend of mine described it) arrogant. And believe me, I am a D Lo fan and recognize that without him he may ave won 3 games, but that shot was uncalled for.

I agree completely.  My point was that the problem wasn't with the coaching.  The entire sequence of possessions was set up at the last time out and we got the ball where we wanted it at the end.  There was a clear out for DLo.  He took an ill-advised shot rather than drive to the basket.

« Reply #255 on: January 10, 2013, 12:59:33 AM »
Only positive is I admire Sampson for wanting to take the last shot. No one else besides D-lo would have the balls to take it.

FT shooting, bad first half rebounding, and another poor start. Can't be down 10 in first 5 minutes every game.

I don't think Branch is the answer at the point, but Phil certainly isn't. I'm hoping Branch is a case of rust and his eye not 100%.  If not, we are in trouble. 

I am of the opinion that this is more on the players than the staff.  Dumb turnovers and missed FT aren't something the staff has control over. 

I dont get what people have against branch. He played good. dished out 3 assists which accounted for 8 points and a point from himself. IN 8 MINUTES!
I hope I'm wrong.. I'm not seeing it.  Why didn't he play down the stretch again?  You have to admit, he has been careless with the ball in limited action.   I will gladly admit I'm wrong if/when he turns into the PG this team needs.

He hasnt been super protective with the ball, I think 3/4ths of his TO's have been the same one he had today, come down the middle on the break and not sure whether he should drive/pass/ or shoot. That might be because he hasnt played in over a year and Lavin pulls him every couple of minutes.

What is absolutly 100% obvious to me is that he can pass the ball and he can get to the hole. 2 things that phil greene 100% cant do. good enough for me. Let phill spot up on the wing and just worry about scoring.
[/quot

Absolutely! Phil needs to be off the ball...I actually think he dribbles behind his back by bouncing it and jumping in front of it...Branch's risk taking may result in some turnovers but I absolutely see the potential for double digit assists on some nights...he can make other guys (besides Harrison) better...no one else on the team remotely has that ability

I know its crazy but its almost as if Lavin wants Jordan to see the possibilty of minutes by not playing Branch

Hmmmmmm good point, but do you think he would do that at the expense of a win?  Man could we use Jordan if Branch does not pan out.

paultzman

« Reply #256 on: January 10, 2013, 08:14:27 AM »
After a night's sleep, I thought I would state the obvious. Program irrelevancy and instability (Roster turnover, eligibility issues, etc.) is painful.

Poison

« Reply #257 on: January 10, 2013, 08:20:15 AM »
Branch has to be out there more. I like the way he runs the offense, but what don't get is why he doesn't try on defense? He's just standing there? What's going w him? He was billed as a great defender.

paultzman

« Reply #258 on: January 10, 2013, 09:09:30 AM »
Branch has to be out there more. I like the way he runs the offense, but what don't get is why he doesn't try on defense? He's just standing there? What's going w him? He was billed as a great defender.

Agree Poison, Mack blew by him easily several times. Concerning.

Poison

« Reply #259 on: January 10, 2013, 09:37:52 AM »

Agree Poison, Mack blew by him easily several times. Concerning.

Rutgers took uncontested mid range jumpers. Our guys didn't. We don't stay with the men we're guarding. Rutgers did a much better job of that.