Georgetown Game

• 293 replies
Re: Georgetown Game
« Reply #200 on: January 12, 2013, 03:01:32 PM »
We suck bottom line. At least when under Norm when we sucked we gave 100% effort every night. You couldn't be mad at that. But this is just embarrassing. No heart whatsoever.

Great post right here

No it's not.

You disagree?

Yes, I don't think lack of effort is the problem.

So what is it?

Inability to shoot.

So whoever recruited them should be held accountable, who recruited them again?

SJUFAN

« Reply #201 on: January 12, 2013, 03:24:28 PM »
Not about coaching here.  We just can't shoot.  I could have them run any offense in the country.  None of them work if there are no shooters/scorers except one.  There is no problem with the offensive sets not coaching here.  Guys are slow moving the ball and all have to defer to Harrison because he's in an island out there.  Lavs needs to recruit more guys who can shoot and score.  It's nothing else.  Georgetown hasn't been impressive.   We finally started hustling and coming back only to be stifled by missing very single free throw we take.

My perspective as well, MCNPA. 

If you actually watch the game, instead of trying to prove your crazy theories correct, you will actually see that.  Gtwn is playing good D, a zone defense. We can't shoot at all.  Therefore we are down big. We can get back in the game, but only if we shoot 60%+ in the second half.  If you shoot 20% you will lose every single time.

With all due respect, you guys are just lost. First off Boo, G'town played man for 90% of the game, not zone, so dont go lecturing people about actually watching the game. Second, it has everything to do with the offensive sets, or lack thereof. MCNPA, you want to have them run any offense in the country? Please do, because as I have stated over and over THEY ARENT RUNNING AN OFFENSE AT ALL.

Whenever Gtown played man today, we set a high screen on the ball and then....NOTHING. If it was Harrison with the ball, they doubled him. If it was anyone else, they either switched or fought through the screen and then...NOTHING. No movement away from the ball. No cutter. No roll by the screener. NOTHING. Just schoolyard ball until the shot clock runs down and a poor, highly contested shot. I've never seen anything like it in my life. What made it even worse is that we played a team who is doing exactly what we should be doing...running an offense which is tailor made for an athletic team which doesnt shoot the three that well. Spread the other team out and use your superior athleticism to create easy TWO's and lets the threes come when they may. G'town must've gotten 12 shots today off naked back cuts- no screen, just a back cut- just because the cutter executed and the passer was actually looking for him. Guys like Amir, Dom, Balamou, even Karr would thrive in an offense like that and DLo would still get his shots in the flow without having to force everything. They way you shoot 45%+ is to get a certain number of easy buckets whether its in transition (ideally) or out of your offense. When every freakin shot you take is contested, of course you're going to shoot in the 30%.

I'm sorry, this is on the staff. Not at the tactical level, but on the strategic, philosophical level. You want to recruit a bunch of rangy,slashing wing players, then run an offense where they can slash, not stand around watching the two man game at the top of the key. If the players are being asked to do something which doesnt match their skill set and they dont do it well, its not their faults, its the staff's fault.
+1,000,000.   Finally a post that makes sense.
GT offense has struggled to score all year and now that is the offense we should be running, yeah that makes sense. This is the same offense we ran three years ago, I don't remember anyone complaining about it then. The players need to execute. The issue is, and has always been, our defense. That is on the staff. If we stop the other team and rebound the ball, it will give our our players the chance to run. I just don't think the players' as a whole make good decisions on both sides of the floor.

not true.  it was frustrating 3 years ago too... bc we passed it around the perimeter and did the weave then as well.   only late in the year did we start to make it look better.   
but plenty of people complained about the shot clock killing offense that year.

But it is the same offense non the less that led us to become a nationally ranked team and a NCAA birth. So to say we aren't running an offense now because of our struggles is not accurate. Players need to execute.

« Reply #202 on: January 12, 2013, 03:31:39 PM »
And, as for the criticism from the game...
it really pains me to say this but you're both right. 
Our offensive system has been dysfunctional for 2+ years now, and lets not kid ourselves.. it wasn't great in 2010, but we made it look acceptable in some guys.   
But, Linda idk how you can say with a straight face that we have shooters on this team!  Of course we don't.
And some of the blame has to go on coach, he recruited 13 scholarships and at least 8 of them are bad shooters. 
if you're going to recruit all athletic  wings then you need to put them in potions to score. 

the gameplan stinks in my opinion, and the team has inherent offensive deficiencies.
Will we get better?  Im sure they will.   But were starting from such a low baseline that even if the guys improve with experience.. how much better can we be?   
if we were a bubble team this year u could argue with seasoning and everyone back, we could make a descent run next.   maybe have sweet 16 as a goal.
But if we're in cellar this year... how much better can we be?   its looking like our ceiling next year is a tournament bid at best.

that's disappointing.

I don't think we have an abundance of shooters on the team, but we certainly have enough to do better then we are doing.  Not all teams have 5 great shooters. It's up to the staff to put players in positions ether they are most effective.  As a poster mentioned above, if we brought in slash type of players we should have an offense geared to their abilities.  Also the lack of shooting excuse is almost as old as the " we're young" excuse.  Does a college baseball coach say we have no hitting?  Does a college football coach say we have no tackling?  Of course not, they develope them.  Does every kid who goes to Alabama do everything right at all positions?  Many of those kids play positions other then what they were familiar with from high school. If these kids, most of which were top 75 recruits, then certainly there is enough athleticism and or potential to make them into serviceable shooters for a particular offensive system.  The problem here is, we have no offensive system exempt, screen high then go one on one.

SJUFAN

« Reply #203 on: January 12, 2013, 03:35:35 PM »
  The problem here is, we have no offensive system exempt, screen high then go one on one.

There is a system, players need to execute.

paultzman

« Reply #204 on: January 12, 2013, 03:47:58 PM »
Just back home from MSG. Highlight of day was seeing MJM again and sharing Heroin and tonic cocktails with lime in order to watch second half. Painful!

« Reply #205 on: January 12, 2013, 03:53:55 PM »
  The problem here is, we have no offensive system exempt, screen high then go one on one.

Please tell me what the offensive system is. Because sitting in the seats today I did not see anything that even came close to the semblance of an offensive system. The girls team runs better sets as did the two cyo teams at halftime.

Out coached and out executed today.

« Reply #206 on: January 12, 2013, 04:05:05 PM »

Please tell me what the offensive system is. Because sitting in the seats today I did not see anything that even came close to the semblance of an offensive system. The girls team runs better sets as did the two cyo teams at halftime.

Out coached and out executed today.

Agree.  I would even go as far to say that if G Town had our players and Lavin had theirs we would still see the same result and we would lose miserably.  What some also didn't mention was that G Towns second leading scorer was suspended for this game.  I guess it could have been worse.

Poison

« Reply #207 on: January 12, 2013, 04:26:13 PM »
We are probably the worst team in the league.

paultzman

« Reply #208 on: January 12, 2013, 04:26:22 PM »
“@eamonnbrennan: Code Red! Johnnies embarrassed at MSG http://t.co/VHp12U7R

Moose

« Reply #209 on: January 12, 2013, 04:27:43 PM »
Does Lavin have any concept of a rotation? You can't sub guys on and out every minute and expect them to find a rhythm and contribute.

He gets paid by the substitution
Remember who broke the Slice news

Moose

« Reply #210 on: January 12, 2013, 04:32:48 PM »
Anyone noticed that we had played better offense without Harrison in the lineup?

Um it was the end of the game.  Nobody cared.  Everyone on Gtown stopped trying.  Gloried AAU run the last 5 minutes.

Moose

« Reply #211 on: January 12, 2013, 04:35:29 PM »

Poison

« Reply #212 on: January 12, 2013, 04:36:05 PM »
What pisses me off is hearing Garrett say that they're gonna come out strong on Tue. What is it about St.John's and effort? Are their practices like going to a spa? Where is the sense of urgency?

All I saw today was frustration which turned to despair.

They should be practicing today after the game, and again at 6 am. This country club crap doesn't work if you're not great, and we don't look good enough to win another BE game.

Moose

« Reply #213 on: January 12, 2013, 04:37:22 PM »
They played 3-2 zone in the first half when they built a 20 point lead, for a good portion.  What happened in the other 20 minutes doesn't matter, the game was over.   I must be blind, because thats what I saw.

Agreed.

Moose

« Reply #214 on: January 12, 2013, 04:38:18 PM »
Sat couple rows behind SJU bench. Going to get worse before it gets better. Players quitting on Lavin. I expect some pretty big blowouts coming up. Harrison, Garrett, Pointer, Branch, Sampson, Felix and Bourgalt all did the eye roll, tune out dance to Lavin upon being taken out. I am not as big a fan of Felix as some but Lavin was putting him and taking out for no particular reason.

Rah Rah anecdotes only take you so far.

Moose

« Reply #215 on: January 12, 2013, 04:40:02 PM »
What pisses me off is hearing Garrett say that they're gonna come out strong on Tue. What is it about St.John's and effort? Are their practices like going to a spa? Where is the sense of urgency?

All I saw today was frustration which turned to despair.

They should be practicing today after the game, and again at 6 am. This country club crap doesn't work if you're not great, and we don't look good enough to win another BE game.

I'm not gonna get pissed a college kids quote.  Focus on the coaches quotes not what comes out of the mouth of college kid IMO.

Also yes we got smoked today.  Embarrassed.  Disgusting.

But every BE game prior to this was 1 possession game.  (Yes we played Nova to tie game in OT that got out of hand).  So while I'm not ready to annoint us the worst team in the BE etc.  Fact of the matter is things are not pointed in right direction and spiraling 'could' happen soon.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2013, 04:41:26 PM by Moose »

paultzman

« Reply #216 on: January 12, 2013, 04:41:15 PM »
Stating the obvious, but this is a poorly constructed team that could only succeed modestly with creative, yet structured coaching. On the latter, make your own choice. Someone tell me what our offensive system is. Gman and others have also noted you succeed with basketball players, not just athletes. Point well taken!

« Reply #217 on: January 12, 2013, 04:43:35 PM »
Our guards should set the ball screens. Its absolutely pointless having obekpa, garrett, and pointer setting high ball screens. They dont command any attention and just bunch things up. Have Obekpa never leave the paint on offense.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

Moose

« Reply #218 on: January 12, 2013, 04:44:14 PM »
Our guards should set the ball screens. Its absolutely pointless having obekpa, garrett, and pointer setting high ball screens. They dont command any attention and just bunch things up. Have Obekpa never leave the paint on offense.

You don't like having 5 guys spread around the 3 pt line?

« Reply #219 on: January 12, 2013, 04:44:48 PM »
We are probably the worst team in the league.
Don't understand all the negativity. We out scored them 32-31 in the second half. We should be concentrating on the positive.