Georgetown Game

• 293 replies
Re: Georgetown Game
« Reply #260 on: January 12, 2013, 11:21:08 PM »
just back and the best thing I saw today was the women's team.  They scored 40 in 20 minutes while the men had 51 in 40.  They have an exciting Frosh who has stepped up due to an injury to one of the seniors.  I tought attendence wasn't bad for an 11AM start.  MSG has to learn to sell bagels for early start as Hotdogs before noon--yuck!  Phil must NOT start on Tuesday; Branch deserves it after today.  Harrison needs an attitude adjustment so he comes to play 40 and stops complaining to refs.  Despite Sir's shortcomings as noted on many comments, he was the only one to show fire on the court--start hin on Tuesday over Amir-he earned it today.  He played defense with great zeal; led in assists; had steals; even made a 3 but didn't continue to throw them up a la Phil.  Chris continues to rebound well and block shots--he looked like Bill Russell on a couple today; he must have read the comments made about him last game.  Other than than that--yuck!!!

Where did Harrison complain to the refs today?
Seriously?

I honestly hope Harrison leaves.  I wanna see these boards when he's gone.  Days like today would be the norm without him.  Enjoy!
look at the smirks and body language and any ref would tell him to go on and play.  he has to suck it up and not disappear because things are not going HIS way.  It's life--get over it-you can't change the call

Thats why he's been t'ed up how many times in his two years here?  Disappear?  He has turned away all year.  Your going off his rep and making him out to be worse than he is.

He's got a hot temper that's true, but I expected him to be a lot worse based on his rep. He's done a good job keeping it under control this season. Sure he may give the ref a look but all players do that.

redslope

« Reply #261 on: January 12, 2013, 11:36:10 PM »
just back and the best thing I saw today was the women's team.  They scored 40 in 20 minutes while the men had 51 in 40.  They have an exciting Frosh who has stepped up due to an injury to one of the seniors.  I tought attendence wasn't bad for an 11AM start.  MSG has to learn to sell bagels for early start as Hotdogs before noon--yuck!  Phil must NOT start on Tuesday; Branch deserves it after today.  Harrison needs an attitude adjustment so he comes to play 40 and stops complaining to refs.  Despite Sir's shortcomings as noted on many comments, he was the only one to show fire on the court--start hin on Tuesday over Amir-he earned it today.  He played defense with great zeal; led in assists; had steals; even made a 3 but didn't continue to throw them up a la Phil.  Chris continues to rebound well and block shots--he looked like Bill Russell on a couple today; he must have read the comments made about him last game.  Other than than that--yuck!!!

Seriously?

I honestly hope Harrison leaves.  I wanna see these boards when he's gone.  Days like today would be the norm without him.  Enjoy!
look at the smirks and body language and any ref would tell him to go on and play.  he has to suck it up and not disappear because things are not going HIS way.  It's life--get over it-you can't change the call

Thats why he's been t'ed up how many times in his two years here?  Disappear?  He has turned away all year.  Your going off his rep and making him out to be worse than he is.
Disappear--I am going on what I watched at MSG for the last 2 games; how does a 20 point per game scorer not score in the 1st 10 minutes of each half of RU game and goes the 1st 12 minutes of today's game without scoring.  He is a good player but the last 2 games are not an example of such nor of a leader and that is not by reputation; that is by simply watching what was going on the court at MSG in person and not on TV.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2013, 11:36:44 PM by redslope »

Moose

« Reply #262 on: January 12, 2013, 11:46:13 PM »

Seriously?

Disappear--I am going on what I watched at MSG for the last 2 games; how does a 20 point per game scorer not score in the 1st 10 minutes of each half of RU game and goes the 1st 12 minutes of today's game without scoring.  He is a good player but the last 2 games are not an example of such nor of a leader and that is not by reputation; that is by simply watching what was going on the court at MSG in person and not on TV.

Yeah I don't know.  Maybe the fact he's our only option might come into the minds of our opponents.  But what the heck do I know?  I'm probably grasping for straws with the theory.
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #263 on: January 13, 2013, 12:20:18 AM »
My understanding from this board is that Harrison and Branch knew other before college, and that Harrison was part of bringing him here.  What strikes me as odd is that it seemed from watching on TV today that D-Lo does not necessarily like playing with him.  Does anyone else get that same vibe?  This could be just from me watching on TV and speculating at D-Lo's body language towards him during timeouts, etc, so I'm probably dead wrong about this from those who have a better idea about the inner-workings of the team.  If I were D-Lo, I'd want to play with Branch, the only true point on the roster, because I think if we can get the latter to play well, it will only help open things up for Harrison.

Moose

« Reply #264 on: January 13, 2013, 01:14:41 AM »
My understanding from this board is that Harrison and Branch knew other before college, and that Harrison was part of bringing him here.  What strikes me as odd is that it seemed from watching on TV today that D-Lo does not necessarily like playing with him.  Does anyone else get that same vibe?  This could be just from me watching on TV and speculating at D-Lo's body language towards him during timeouts, etc, so I'm probably dead wrong about this from those who have a better idea about the inner-workings of the team.  If I were D-Lo, I'd want to play with Branch, the only true point on the roster, because I think if we can get the latter to play well, it will only help open things up for Harrison.

I like Branch. But more I see him more I wonder if he's a true point
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #265 on: January 13, 2013, 09:08:03 AM »
I'm sorry but I don't see 30 nba GM's passing on d'lo. He's a one man show right now, imagine how good he can be if you put some talent around him. He handles, can shoot and defends well ( dosent get enough credit for his defense). He has flaws but he has a nba skill ( shooting) and he's very crafty. Anybody complaining about d'lo should really get there head checked, without him were 2-15 right now

D'Angelo is the most skilled player on the court for St. John's.  But is he ready for the NBA?  Absolutely not

When he is hot, he can be unconscious out there.  Look no further than the Villanova game.  We would've been blown out of that building w/o him.  But he has also had some games this season that he's been ice cold and not adjusted his game accordingly.  However, the big issue with him right now is his handle.  He's obviously a right handed dominant player and the fact that he cannot drive to his left at all limits him offensively.  He gets away with it in college because the fact is he's better than most of the players out there.  But the NBA is a different ball game.  If you as a PG/SG cannot handle the ball on your left side, you are going to be significantly limited out there.  If he wants to have a pro career, which he definitely has the potential to do, he needs to improve that and make himself a more dangerous weapon out there.

MCNPA

« Reply #266 on: January 13, 2013, 09:15:15 AM »

I think he's a pointl. What I do love though, is that he also has a second gear to get by defenders.  When he's running the offense, he keeps his head up and looks for developing offense (even though yesterday there wasn't much).  He ended up having to go to his offensive ability, and he has more than I thought.  Only reason he didn't earn more assists yesterday is that nobody he passed it to could score even if they jumped through the net.  Branch looked a lot better yesterday and I think he'll get exponentially better with more court time.  Big difference between practicing with the team and playing against D1 competition.  Branch will be a good one if only the fans here give him some time to develop.  He just started his collegiate career a few games ago.

ras

« Reply #267 on: January 13, 2013, 09:56:48 AM »

I think he's a pointl. What I do love though, is that he also has a second gear to get by defenders.  When he's running the offense, he keeps his head up and looks for developing offense (even though yesterday there wasn't much).  He ended up having to go to his offensive ability, and he has more than I thought.  Only reason he didn't earn more assists yesterday is that nobody he passed it to could score even if they jumped through the net.  Branch looked a lot better yesterday and I think he'll get exponentially better with more court time.  Big difference between practicing with the team and playing against D1 competition.  Branch will be a good one if only the fans here give him some time to develop.  He just started his collegiate career a few games ago.
He only got nice minutes during the Gtown game and he demonstrated he could score. It is true its hard to get an assist if nobody can make a shot. Give him time then see how he is.

ras

« Reply #268 on: January 13, 2013, 09:58:23 AM »

He only got descent minutes during the Gtown game and he demonstrated he could score. It is true its hard to get an assist if nobody can make a shot. Give him time then see how he is.

desco80

« Reply #269 on: January 13, 2013, 10:08:41 AM »
I'm sorry but I don't see 30 nba GM's passing on d'lo. He's a one man show right now, imagine how good he can be if you put some talent around him. He handles, can shoot and defends well ( dosent get enough credit for his defense). He has flaws but he has a nba skill ( shooting) and he's very crafty. Anybody complaining about d'lo should really get there head checked, without him were 2-15 right now

Agree with you that people shouldn't complain about Dangelo, he's carried is this year.   
But I couldn't disagree more with you about the NBA chilleb, 30 gms will pass on him this year, next year, and the year after.   

desco80

« Reply #270 on: January 13, 2013, 10:27:05 AM »
I'll say it again.  It's not the offense as much as it is the fact that we are still missing certain parts of the offense.  The biggest think we are missing is a low post scorer.  A guy like Gathers that Lavin was trying to land was supposed to be in that mold.  Now we are also without Sanchez which compounds the issue.  The other thing we don't have a shooters beside D'Angelo.   One last thing is that we haven't had Branch ie. a PG until now.  He will be good at the PG spot, but is just getting his feet wet.

1) new PG
2). Very young team with limited shooters
3) no low-post scoring threat

All three things are surefire recipe for stalled offense.  Why is there not as much motion in the offense as we'd like?  Simple.  Everybody besides D'Angelo is afraid to shoot.  Nobody wants to come off a screen and shoot because they know they'll have to if the ball comes to them.  Jakarr doesn't mind shooting but he has become very hesitant and lost his mojo a bit.

I think people complicate the issues.  Lavin had success with this offense with Norm's guys because we had s lot of upperclassmen but we also had guys that could do the things we are missing now.  It took adding JC players like hardy and brownlee to do it.  We had several guys like hardy, Horne, brownlee and DJ who could hit shots and developed their game over 4 years.  We could play hi-low with Burrell, Evans and Brownlee.

We might not have had as much overall talent but we had a few years of experience under our belts as well as added players to the mix like Lavin will undoubtedly do over next 2 years. Need our personnel to get experience over the next few and add some shooters and low post guys.

It's more fun to just say Lavin can't coach and is an idiot with no plan.

If we have no post players, and no shooters .. What does that tell you about the recruiting job coach did?
Those aren't missing pieces..., that's a huge chunk of your team!
A third wr in football might be a missing piece, but literally no one who can play with their back to the basket, or score (besides Dangelo) .... Perimeter scorers and post players are basically the whole freaking team in basketball, how do we have none?

I agree with you that all our problems aren't strategic coaching decisions, that's being overblown.  Do I like our defense? No.   and I haven't made up my mine on the offense, I could take it or leave it at this point.  But I'll agree the reason were not winning is not all coaching.   Certainly not.

But I can't be giving coach a pat on the back right now for 2 reason:
1) some of our troubles are coaching related.  Not playing Branch at the end of Villanova, not having a better play than Phil dribbling at the end of Nova, or Dangelos isolation 3 at the end of Rutgers? Those are coaching decisions.   Bad ones in my mind.
And 2) he recruited these guys and they are woefully deficient in some areas of the game.   Mcn you say we're a few pieces short, that makes it sound like we need supplemental pieces, but only 5 guys can play at a time.  If we're missing scoring and post play than that means we need at least 2 starters who currently aren't here. 
Missing 2/5s of a team is shitty composition of a team.   
Remember Noah's ark? How we were going to get two of everything?  Where's that second center?  Where's that second point guard?   Is there a real second power forward behind Jakarr?   How come none of our shooting guards or forwards can score? 

You can't argue that coach did a great job assembling this team AND has done a good job coaching them.   If that we're the case we'd be winning.   I lean more towards criticizing how this team was assembled.  I think the coaching is being overrated (although there clearly are things an observer could rationally criticize). 

boo3

« Reply #271 on: January 13, 2013, 10:37:19 AM »
 While it is quite obvious to us fans that this year has been a major disappointment thus far i would keep this in mind.

No one, besides the Mensa members on this board, had any real optimistic tone for this season. What was our consensus pre season rank in the BE this season? 10? 12? Dead last?

I'm not making excuses for anyone, coaches , players, fans..no one....but the reality is, no one had this team pegged to go anywhere this season except for posters on these sites, not all, but a lot.  Remember people picking us to win 20+ games?  Lol.

Perhaps our expectations are a little out of whack?

Enjoy reading our preseason predictions.

Baldi had us 4th in the BE.... I had 20 wins... 

http://johnnyjungle.com/forum/index.php?topic=7182.0
« Last Edit: January 13, 2013, 10:43:41 AM by boo3 »

« Reply #272 on: January 13, 2013, 11:04:10 AM »
I'll say it again.  It's not the offense as much as it is the fact that we are still missing certain parts of the offense.  The biggest think we are missing is a low post scorer.  A guy like Gathers that Lavin was trying to land was supposed to be in that mold.  Now we are also without Sanchez which compounds the issue.  The other thing we don't have a shooters beside D'Angelo.   One last thing is that we haven't had Branch ie. a PG until now.  He will be good at the PG spot, but is just getting his feet wet.

1) new PG

All three things are surefire recipe for stalled offense.  Why is there not as much motion in the offense as we'd like?  Simple.  Everybody besides D'Angelo is afraid to shoot.  Nobody wants to come off a screen and shoot because they know they'll have to if the ball comes to them.  Jakarr doesn't mind shooting but he has become very hesitant and lost his mojo a bit.

I think people complicate the issues.  Lavin had success with this offense with Norm's guys because we had s lot of upperclassmen but we also had guys that could do the things we are missing now.  It took adding JC players like hardy and brownlee to do it.  We had several guys like hardy, Horne, brownlee and DJ who could hit shots and developed their game over 4 years.  We could play hi-low with Burrell, Evans and Brownlee.

We might not have had as much overall talent but we had a few years of experience under our belts as well as added players to the mix like Lavin will undoubtedly do over next 2 years. Need our personnel to get experience over the next few and add some shooters and low post guys.

If we have no post players, and no shooters .. What does that tell you about the recruiting job coach did?
A third wr in football might be a missing piece, but literally no one who can play with their back to the basket, or score (besides Dangelo) .... Perimeter scorers and post players are basically the whole freaking team in basketball, how do we have none?

I agree with you that all our problems aren't strategic coaching decisions, that's being overblown.  Do I like our defense? No.   and I haven't made up my mine on the offense, I could take it or leave it at this point.  But I'll agree the reason were not winning is not all coaching.   Certainly not.

1) some of our troubles are coaching related.  Not playing Branch at the end of Villanova, not having a better play than Phil dribbling at the end of Nova, or Dangelos isolation 3 at the end of Rutgers? Those are coaching decisions.   Bad ones in my mind.
And 2) he recruited these guys and they are woefully deficient in some areas of the game.   Mcn you say we're a few pieces short, that makes it sound like we need supplemental pieces, but only 5 guys can play at a time.  If we're missing scoring and post play than that means we need at least 2 starters who currently aren't here. 
Remember Noah's ark? How we were going to get two of everything?  Where's that second center?  Where's that second point guard?   Is there a real second power forward behind Jakarr?   How come none of our shooting guards or forwards can score? 

You can't argue that coach did a great job assembling this team AND has done a good job coaching them.   If that we're the case we'd be winning.   I lean more towards criticizing how this team was assembled.  I think the coaching is being overrated (although there clearly are things an observer could rationally criticize).

While I agree with you that the team is not ideally assembled right now, I think the difference between us is that I'm not killing coach for it because I understand why we're in this situation. I think it's unreasonable to have expected Lavin to have kick-ass team in year 2. And If you're going to bring up quotes from Lavin, how about the one where he said this was going to be a 3-4 year process?

Sure, you can nit-pick calls here and there from each loss, but you can literally do that with any team who has lost a game in college basketball this year. "If [insert coach's name here] had done this we woulda won that game." I too question decisions but I think I would do that with any coach.

SJUFAN

« Reply #273 on: January 13, 2013, 12:54:39 PM »

1) new PG

While I agree with you that the team is not ideally assembled right now, I think the difference between us is that I'm not killing coach for it because I understand why we're in this situation. I think it's unreasonable to have expected Lavin to have kick-ass team in year 2. And If you're going to bring up quotes from Lavin, how about the one where he said this was going to be a 3-4 year process?

Sure, you can nit-pick calls here and there from each loss, but you can literally do that with any team who has lost a game in college basketball this year. "If [insert coach's name here] had done this we woulda won that game." I too question decisions but I think I would do that with any coach.

I agree. Most of the fire posters are throwing at Lavin stems from unreasonable expectations, but then they wouldn't be fans so its expected. Lavin has brought in two classes. Remember that Lavin was away from coaching for 7 years, which means he wasn't building relationship with kids until he got back into coaching. The team may not be ideally assembled right now, but he brought in the best players he could, and they are some good players. As we are right now, we will struggle, but it is a work in progress. Give Lavin 3-4 years time to build relationship with recruits like all the other coaches have been doing and he will begin to land those multi-talanted players.   

dR3w

« Reply #274 on: January 13, 2013, 12:55:01 PM »
Some guy named dR3w seems to be on target. :)

While it is quite obvious to us fans that this year has been a major disappointment thus far i would keep this in mind.

No one, besides the Mensa members on this board, had any real optimistic tone for this season. What was our consensus pre season rank in the BE this season? 10? 12? Dead last?

I'm not making excuses for anyone, coaches , players, fans..no one....but the reality is, no one had this team pegged to go anywhere this season except for posters on these sites, not all, but a lot.  Remember people picking us to win 20+ games?  Lol.

Perhaps our expectations are a little out of whack?

Enjoy reading our preseason predictions.

Baldi had us 4th in the BE.... I had 20 wins... 

http://johnnyjungle.com/forum/index.php?topic=7182.0

« Reply #275 on: January 13, 2013, 11:08:48 PM »
Sadly, Although I do give credit (to actually having a bunch of bodies available this year); It is clearly not enough!
I think as the season progresses we will see great shifts in the paradigm. Meaning players will grow or roll over
I think in the case of this team when you have no Big east Experienced PG on board the ship will be very unsteady.
Opekpa needs more help and improved free throw shooting, because at this point u could foul him and disrupt our scoring in the paint. :knuppel2:
Sampson (cut his hair) Must be Dating Delilah! :-* Which explains his slump!
Bench play ::) is non existent  (in terms of being effective)
We really need a lot of help and enough with these Recruiting miscalculations as of now Jones, Bourgalt, fill in the blank are just taking up space!
If they are not good enough to play they can't stay!
this ain't CYO we should be looking for High Skilled Transfers with experience or post grad seniors oh wait we will have one in GG next year
 :-\
Let's be real a lot of these guys are fill in's not prime targets! We wiffed on PG's, SG's,PF's,C's Alot of USA players who did not wanna come to Queens,NY
look back at every season he has coached and check!
We Need to realize our Brand is still not Respected in most circles it's more of a propaganda issue
That's how I Feel! I hope i'm wrong :tickedoff:
i'm starting to feel like this Season is gonna be a Zero Dark 30 because it will be a WAR (to be decent) :'(
« Last Edit: January 13, 2013, 11:16:24 PM by illscalpya4000 »

Chilleb

« Reply #276 on: January 14, 2013, 05:26:10 AM »

He can make it as a pg but machado can't? Don't see it happening. No way he makes it as a sg
D'lo is 4 years younger And 2 inches taller with more tools. I'm saying that and Scottie is a childhood friend of mine. It is what it is.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 05:28:30 AM by Chilleb »

Chilleb

« Reply #277 on: January 14, 2013, 05:28:10 AM »

Agree with you that people shouldn't complain about Dangelo, he's carried is this year.   
But I couldn't disagree more with you about the NBA chilleb, 30 gms will pass on him this year, next year, and the year after.
Desco your one of the brighter spots on the board and your entitled to your opinion. At the end of the day it's all philosophy and that's what would make my team better than yours or vice versa

Chilleb

« Reply #278 on: January 14, 2013, 05:41:08 AM »

D'Angelo is the most skilled player on the court for St. John's.  But is he ready for the NBA?  Absolutely not

When he is hot, he can be unconscious out there.  Look no further than the Villanova game.  We would've been blown out of that building w/o him.  But he has also had some games this season that he's been ice cold and not adjusted his game accordingly.  However, the big issue with him right now is his handle.  He's obviously a right handed dominant player and the fact that he cannot drive to his left at all limits him offensively.  He gets away with it in college because the fact is he's better than most of the players out there.  But the NBA is a different ball game.  If you as a PG/SG cannot handle the ball on your left side, you are going to be significantly limited out there.  If he wants to have a pro career, which he definitely has the potential to do, he needs to improve that and make himself a more dangerous weapon out there.
When has "being ready" for the NBA been a factor for kids in the past 2 and a half decades. Is he ready to get major minutes from day one .. No. But if he declares would he be in the top 60 talent wise . Hell fricken yes and unquestionably yes. It's all about projection and potential this kid is 19 and scores like its nobodys business. And he has a legit nba skill in his shooting. He's only gonna get better. Nobody's asking him to give a team 20 minutes from day 1. But one thing he will give you from day 1 is effort and passion. You can't teach character and heart. If he can turn into a Steve Kerr/Jamal tinsley blend he will be fine. He has all the foundational tools to build upon. And As I said Before he has one definite nba skill already , you can't leave him open, unlike Scott machado, marquise Teague,tony wroten,Kendall marshall

« Reply #279 on: January 14, 2013, 10:12:46 AM »

1) new PG

:2funny:

If you think about it, we are a very young team with no low post scoring threat by Lavin's choice, not by circumstance. It was his choice to red shirt Gift! The young team excuse is getting old. Plenty of teams start underclassmen.  And you can't have it both ways.  Many of the posters who are calling us young are calling Sampson, Obekpa and Harrison near future NBA players.  What????