Louisville Game Discussion

• 235 replies
Re: Louisville Game Discussion
« Reply #180 on: February 14, 2013, 11:53:26 PM »
Karr and Pointer looked absolutely gross tonight with their 4 turnovers each. Games like tonight are the reason why Sampson should not and probably is not leaving this year.

The game seem to be too fast for Karr tonight...he rushed his release because he was afraid of getting blocked...he needs to learn to absorb contact...

Poison

« Reply #181 on: February 15, 2013, 12:00:14 AM »
Karr and Pointer looked absolutely gross tonight with their 4 turnovers each. Games like tonight are the reason why Sampson should not and probably is not leaving this year.

Jakarr has a lot of potential. Tonight he showed that he needs a lot of work. Hopefully by his senior year, he'll be refined enough to not only make the NBA but last more than a few games.

Lol, he won't still be here senior year, unless he has two season ending injuries in a row. I would have liked to see him drive a bit more today. I think he was settling for jumpers that were falling earlier on in the year and are a little off now.

Why are you so sure that he won't be here senior year? He's got a lot of work to do.

« Reply #182 on: February 15, 2013, 12:16:59 AM »

Jakarr has a lot of potential. Tonight he showed that he needs a lot of work. Hopefully by his senior year, he'll be refined enough to not only make the NBA but last more than a few games.

Lol, he won't still be here senior year, unless he has two season ending injuries in a row. I would have liked to see him drive a bit more today. I think he was settling for jumpers that were falling earlier on in the year and are a little off now.

Why are you so sure that he won't be here senior year? He's got a lot of work to do.

He's definitely got some work to do, but a guy that is fringe NBA this year won't hang around for 3 more years. It's just kind of inconceivable to me. He needs to find more places on the floor he can score from, and work on getting to the rim IMO. I think he can get both of those things down by next year, and wouldn't be surprised to see him go early-mid first round next year.

« Reply #183 on: February 15, 2013, 12:20:37 AM »
My GF finally feel asleep so I got to see a few minutes. We stopped them on D well, but our offense (if you can call it that) is just awful.  Either Blackshear is made of paper or I missed something on that injury. 

It comes down to no sensible person thought we would win either of the last 2 games.  We aren't talented enough to beat elite teams.  We can beat bad teams (recently).  And can give middle of the road teams a tough game at home.  That sounds like an NIT team to me.  The kids get to decide if they are NIT or NCAA over this final stretch
Dislocated my shoulder same way Blackshear got hurt-trying to take ball up and someone forces your arm down puts a lot of pressure on your shoulder joint.

« Reply #184 on: February 15, 2013, 12:38:56 AM »
Love the fight/effort, didn't love the execution especially with the turnovers. On to USF

The season begins now.  These remaining games are it.  Win 3 you chance it.  Win 4 you dance it.

perhaps your newest copyright?
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

desco80

« Reply #185 on: February 15, 2013, 01:27:39 AM »
Sure he doesn't see him?

You are right. He sees him, just chooses not to pass. This is the first game I have seen with this group where it looks like there is some tension between the players. Not helping guys off the floor, huddling during a dead ball. Hard to tell for sure watching on TV, but just an observation...

I've never got that vibe, think you may be reading too much into it. Remember these guys haven't had years of playing together like most teams.

I don't think it's intentional either.
It gets back to the whole notion that Phil isn't a natural point guard, either is Dangelo or Dom for that matter.
They don't have that pass first mentality, or the court vision. 
It would take a lot for me to believe any of our guys would intentionally not pass to an open teammate.   These guys want to win too badly to ever do that.  IMO

But, it doesn't mean they have good court vision, or are moving the ball well.
Those problems have been obvious.

Couple observations now that the game is a few hours old.

1) agree with choz and Mase who said Marco has good rebounding instincts. 
Also, Obekpa impressed me tonight with some of his boards,  he's starting to get good position on people.   Add a little bulk and hell have two A+ skills. 

2) bobre, lay off coach.   The funeral was probably Wednesday, and on the other side of the country - the guy gets a few days away from the team.  I never want to see St. John's be a program where we care more about a regular season win than being there for one of our own who's going through some rough stuff. 

3) just a hypothesis, I haven't looked at the numbers, but
Dom started blossoming in January when Branch got up to speed and started playing big minutes. 
He's fallen off the last 3, and looks like the Dom from October.  Connection?
Could be he's just hitting a little wall, but maybe Jamal was getting Dom the ball in a position to succeed.  ( those corner 3s are the most obvious that come to mind)

Back to work for the boys, they're getting better.  Just hard to see when you're playing road games against good teams in the BE. 

kjd01067

« Reply #186 on: February 15, 2013, 08:06:22 AM »
Did anyone feel like Marco had more than 3 rebounds or am I just imaging things?

Poison

« Reply #187 on: February 15, 2013, 08:22:25 AM »

He's definitely got some work to do, but a guy that is fringe NBA this year won't hang around for 3 more years. It's just kind of inconceivable to me. He needs to find more places on the floor he can score from, and work on getting to the rim IMO. I think he can get both of those things down by next year, and wouldn't be surprised to see him go early-mid first round next year.

He can leave whenever he wants to. In this case, however, it would be devastating to both parties if he did. We have a history of players who think they're better than they are. Hopefully last night taught Jakarr that he is not even close to being ready for the league.

Even if an NBA team had him, what would they do with him? They'd have to
teach him the game from scratch.

« Reply #188 on: February 15, 2013, 09:10:48 AM »
Post game video from Slick Rick.  Sometimes you have sift thru the BS but to me what he said is revealing.

He said he was impressed by how hard SJU plays for such a young team and how they never quit and kept coming back.  Also said this is without a doubt the most talented SJU team he has faced since Louisville has been in the Big East.

Very impressed with JaKarr specifically with his defense inside.  Remembers recruiting him and how good he was as a prep player and how much he has improved since.

http://www.courier-journal.com/videonetwork/2166165211001

gman

« Reply #189 on: February 15, 2013, 09:15:13 AM »

He's definitely got some work to do, but a guy that is fringe NBA this year won't hang around for 3 more years. It's just kind of inconceivable to me. He needs to find more places on the floor he can score from, and work on getting to the rim IMO. I think he can get both of those things down by next year, and wouldn't be surprised to see him go earl

y-mid first round next year.

He can leave whenever he wants to. In this case, however, it would be devastating to both parties if he did. We have a history of players who think they're better than they are. Hopefully last night taught Jakarr that he is not even close to being ready for the league.

Even if an NBA team had him, what would they do with him? They'd have to
teach him the game from scratch.

They would send him to the nbdl like they did with 25 first round picks from last year.

Moose

« Reply #190 on: February 15, 2013, 09:20:03 AM »
Post game video from Slick Rick.  Sometimes you have sift thru the BS but to me what he said is revealing.

He said he was impressed by how hard SJU plays for such a young team and how they never quit and kept coming back.  Also said this is without a doubt the most talented SJU team he has faced since Louisville has been in the Big East.

Very impressed with JaKarr specifically with his defense inside.  Remembers recruiting him and how good he was as a prep player and how much he has improved since.

http://www.courier-journal.com/videonetwork/2166165211001

But meanwhile some on the other board are saying how they lollygag all the time.

I take Rick's opinion.  He had nice embrace with Dee after the game.  Handshake lines are always fun to see interactions.
Remember who broke the Slice news

dR3w

« Reply #191 on: February 15, 2013, 09:27:54 AM »
I can remember at least three time when someone tried to force a pass down low to Obekpa and he either didn't expect it or want it.  All three occasions the ball sailed out of bounds untouched.  Brutal.  Do they work on a post up game at all?

Imagine how bad this loss would have been if Louisville hadn't missed as many chip shots as they did.  They made Sean Evens look like a good finisher tonight.

StJ loses to UofL, Rangers lose to Islanders.  What a great V-Day?!  What next, Sanchez gets signed to a 10 year extension? :)

paultzman

« Reply #192 on: February 15, 2013, 09:33:39 AM »
My GF finally feel asleep so I got to see a few minutes. We stopped them on D well, but our offense (if you can call it that) is just awful.  Either Blackshear is made of paper or I missed something on that injury. 

It comes down to no sensible person thought we would win either of the last 2 games.  We aren't talented enough to beat elite teams.  We can beat bad teams (recently).  And can give middle of the road teams a tough game at home.  That sounds like an NIT team to me.  The kids get to decide if they are NIT or NCAA over this final stretch

Well said GMan! BTW, your Charlotte team is doing fine. Congrats on Butler win.

Foad

« Reply #193 on: February 15, 2013, 10:16:45 AM »
Dom started blossoming in January when Branch got up to speed and started playing big minutes. 
Could be he's just hitting a little wall, but maybe Jamal was getting Dom the ball in a position to succeed.  ( those corner 3s are the most obvious that come to mind)

Two points. One, SDP has played well against bad teams - DePaul, Rutgers, Seton Hall - and stunk against teams that are bigger and stronger than he is. In those games you can see his frustration via chippy play, ie thrown elbows and last night's cheap shot. For which sooner or later he's going to get tossed. Two, re Branch, what he did do is move Pointer off the ball so that he's not a primary ball handler and doesn't have to make plays. Because he's not very good at either of those things. 

« Reply #194 on: February 15, 2013, 10:18:06 AM »
True story! I am on a business trip and watched game in hotel bar. Some guy decided he was going to tell me his life story during the game. I guess he mistook my grunts an head nods as me being fully engaged in his tale. Well anyway at some point in the 2nd half and around my 8th Heineken, bar guy stops telling me his fascinating tale to inform me that "my team does a lot of standing around on offense." Who knew you could expertly breakdown our offense while simultaneously telling a complete stranger your life story, eating bar peanuts and hitting on a bartender? That guy was an excellent multi tasker!
« Last Edit: February 15, 2013, 10:19:57 AM by we are sju »

Moose

« Reply #195 on: February 15, 2013, 10:18:18 AM »

Two points. One, SDP has played well against bad teams - DePaul, Rutgers, Seton Hall - and stunk against teams that are bigger and stronger than he is. In those games you can see his frustration via chippy play, ie thrown elbows and last night's cheap shot. For which sooner or later he's going to get tossed. Two, re Branch, what he did do is move Pointer off the ball so that he's not a primary ball handler and doesn't have to make plays. Because he's not very good at either of those things. 

The cheap shot your referring to was the scrum on the floor?  Funny I thought Obekpa threw his arms and was surprised they called Dom for it.  Didn't bother to look back on it but was just wondering if anyone else thought they saw it that way.  But then later on I guess Dom was jawing at the ref at end of the game when Obekpa intervened.

« Reply #196 on: February 15, 2013, 10:23:02 AM »
DLo was trying to grab the ball from Harrell, Marco was standing over them, watching.  Obekpa was also on the floor and took a swipe at Harrell's face (intentional or accidental?  You make the call).  Dom was nowhere near the play.  I couldn't understand how he got called for the technical---unless he did or said something away from the play.

Moose

« Reply #197 on: February 15, 2013, 10:24:19 AM »
DLo was trying to grab the ball from Harrell, Marco was standing over them, watching.  Obekpa was also on the floor and took a swipe at Harrell's face (intentional or accidental?  You make the call).  Dom was nowhere near the play.  I couldn't understand how he got called for the technical---unless he did or said something away from the play.

Yeah I saw Obekpa take a shot.  He was talking to the refs a lot last night about Dieng down low.

Foad

« Reply #198 on: February 15, 2013, 10:27:53 AM »

The cheap shot your referring to was the scrum on the floor?  Funny I thought Obekpa threw his arms and was surprised they called Dom for it.  Didn't bother to look back on it but was just wondering if anyone else thought they saw it that way.  But then later on I guess Dom was jawing at the ref at end of the game when Obekpa intervened.

I watched the scrum a bunch of times. At first I thought it was Obekpa that put his hand in the kid's face but it was clearly Pointer who came over late and face palmed whoever was lying on his back fighting for the ball. I'm surprised he wasn't ejected.

« Reply #199 on: February 15, 2013, 11:06:14 AM »

I watched the scrum a bunch of times. At first I thought it was Obekpa that put his hand in the kid's face but it was clearly Pointer who came over late and face palmed whoever was lying on his back fighting for the ball. I'm surprised he wasn't ejected.

yup it was pointer who deserved the tec, he tried to be slick about it but didnt really work out.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.