New C7 Conference Additions- who would you want ?

• 66 replies
Re: New C7 Conference Additions- who would you want ?
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2013, 01:31:39 PM »
Is there even a thought of courting nd back? Nd butler Xavier then whoever for the last two. St. Louis for tv and Dayton or vcu

« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2013, 01:34:26 PM »
I don't mind admitting, I would welcome ND back in a heartbeat.  Unfortunately, I don't think that's in the cards.

Moose

« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2013, 01:41:16 PM »
I don't mind admitting, I would welcome ND back in a heartbeat.  Unfortunately, I don't think that's in the cards.

I would too.  They seemed to have some buyers remorse per Brey quotes a couple weeks back.  If ACC takes a few bumps you might see them back out.
Remember who broke the Slice news

Tha Kid

« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2013, 01:45:59 PM »

I would too.  They seemed to have some buyers remorse per Brey quotes a couple weeks back.  If ACC takes a few bumps you might see them back out.

GOtta wonder how much the football team's success has to do with this.  My guess is, if ND knew beforehand the football team would get to the national title game and affirm their relevance, they wouldn't have bolted to the ACC.  This was all to ensure the football team did not get screwed if they were mired in mediocrity down the road and BCS and tv wouldn't give them a seat at the table.  Seat is there to stay now (for a long while at least)  IMO.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 01:46:29 PM by Tha Kid »
"I drink and I know things"

« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2013, 02:06:48 PM »
ND bball has value.
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2013, 02:26:57 PM »
I think they saw the demise of the BE and were looking to protect their basketball program by sacrificing a bit of independence on the football side.  I don't think football had anything to worry about.  they are the Goliath of college football.  This new C7 arrangement would have been perfect for them.

« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2013, 02:59:24 PM »
Yeah Moose, Xavier v Dayton was on over the weekend and the announcers were saying how the teams didn't do a pregame handshake, alot of snarls and staredowns, don't like each other, etc. The two schools have played each other like 160 times.

Your note on Xavier v Cincy, absolutely

Poison

« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2013, 03:09:45 PM »
How about The Holy Roman Catholic and Apostolic League?

LOL

Poison

« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2013, 03:11:53 PM »
I have been to seton hall games. Don't think they could ever be good again. Kind of embarrassing with the black curtain.
Just like Rutgers football won't get the nyc football fans interest - DePaul is not Chicago

Depaul needs to play in a different part of the city. That's their biggest problem. Well, that and a lack of talented players.

Marillac

« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2013, 04:03:05 PM »
I don't want VCU or Richmond.  Gonzaga-Xavier-Butler-Dayton-Creighton-St. Louis...in that order.

TONYD3

« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2013, 06:32:41 PM »
Seton hall sucks and will continue to suck- I can live with them since it's close. Why depaul? We got to look out for ourselves

« Reply #31 on: February 20, 2013, 09:29:31 PM »
I was against this idea. Starting to think it could workout . Think we should keep it as small as possible. Have to play tough out if conforence games. Would only let teams in if they were serious about basketball. Seton hall and DePaul should not be guaranteed entrance in the league. They stink and have very little fan support. They also don't seem to be getting better

The Catholic 7, must and will stick together. None will or should be left out. As for Seton Hall, they were one of the original 7 basketball teams in the league. You have to include them. They have stayed with the league. That's loyalty. Where ever the Catholic schools go, The Hall will go also, and rightly so.

« Reply #32 on: February 20, 2013, 11:57:27 PM »
I was against this idea. Starting to think it could workout . Think we should keep it as small as possible. Have to play tough out if conforence games. Would only let teams in if they were serious about basketball. Seton hall and DePaul should not be guaranteed entrance in the league. They stink and have very little fan support. They also don't seem to be getting better

All it takes is the right coach to turn them around. They are tough jobs but I think they have attractive things to offer

Poison

« Reply #33 on: February 21, 2013, 12:11:32 AM »
I don't want VCU or Richmond.  Gonzaga-Xavier-Butler-Dayton-Creighton-St. Louis...in that order.

Why would we expect Gonzaga to be a long term answer? Who on the east coast would be a rival that they would care about? Proximity can't be ignored as we rebuild our conference.

I don't hate the Zags. They play too far away. I don't care.

« Reply #34 on: February 21, 2013, 01:52:11 AM »

I voted Butler Xavier and STL.  Xavier might balk at Dayton
xavier as an invitee has no standing to be balking about any other schools-than get left behind and don't come. It's not like Cincy and X being in same city.

LJSA

« Reply #35 on: February 21, 2013, 03:11:00 AM »
How about The Holy Roman Catholic and Apostolic League?

BOOB

Basketball Only Or Bust

Perfect, but the amount of teams is important. Bigger is better, but not so much that the quality will sag.

paultzman

« Reply #36 on: February 21, 2013, 03:52:23 PM »
Latest update on conference targets and possible commissioner;

"Administratively, the Catholic 7 may also be closing on a commissioner to guide them through all of these issues. Don’ be surprised if the Catholic 7 Presidents look west to West Coast  Conference commissioner Jamie Zainovich.
Zainovich has east coast ties, with a work resume which includes Princeton–when Georgetown coach John Thompson III was the basketball coach. His west coast and Catholic ties as the commissioner of a league which has emerged as a solid mid major conference with the development of Gonzaga and St. Mary’s, include a degree from Stanford."

“@blauds: Catholic 7 looking West for new commissioner? http://ajerseyguy.com

Moose

« Reply #37 on: February 21, 2013, 04:42:17 PM »
Remember who broke the Slice news

uwsfan

« Reply #38 on: February 21, 2013, 05:09:32 PM »
Xavier
UMass
BYU
Creighton
Dayton

« Reply #39 on: February 21, 2013, 06:29:37 PM »
UMass has delusions of football and BYU really can't think that they are relevant as a football indy for much longer given the way things are going.  BYU's also too far west for other sports, if not as far as Gonzaga and St Marys.