New C7 Conference Additions- who would you want ?

• 66 replies

ras

Re: New C7 Conference Additions- who would you want ?
« Reply #40 on: February 21, 2013, 06:45:40 PM »
Seton hall sucks and will continue to suck- I can live with them since it's close. Why depaul? We got to look out for ourselves
I asked why Depaul when they first joined the BE. If the conf concentrated a bit more on teams w FB IE Memphis, maybe it wouldnt have the problems it has today.

Marillac

« Reply #41 on: February 21, 2013, 06:50:43 PM »
I don't want VCU or Richmond.  Gonzaga-Xavier-Butler-Dayton-Creighton-St. Louis...in that order.

Why would we expect Gonzaga to be a long term answer? Who on the east coast would be a rival that they would care about? Proximity can't be ignored as we rebuild our conference.

I don't hate the Zags. They play too far away. I don't care.

Gonzaga is one of the ten best programs in the country over the last decade +.  People love to watch them all over the country.  Rivalries will develop over time. These travel question marks are so silly.  Gonzaga has to hop on a plane for nearly every single away game it plays as it is.  If it joins the C7 it can do two games in a three or four day weekend:  Xavier/Dayton, STJ/SH, Nova/Gtown, Marquette/Depaul.  All of those combo games are a bus ride away from the school they are coupled with.  Assuming a 16 game conference schedule, Gonzaga would be able to play 3/4's of its schedule, 12 games,  with only two roundtrip flights (rotate two combos a year) and only a total of six for the conference schedule.  That is less than what they are currently doing. 

« Reply #42 on: February 21, 2013, 06:53:11 PM »
Marillac, if the Zags joined for hoops only your travel points would be correct but I believe the BE7 want the conference to be an all sports conference and not go all BE right away with different teams participating in different sports.  I could be wrong though.

ras

« Reply #43 on: February 21, 2013, 06:54:14 PM »
Like Moose says ,travel is Gonzagas problem. If they are willing to join ,I say take them.

« Reply #44 on: February 21, 2013, 07:06:45 PM »
Not entirely, even one trip to Spokane per year for every sports team is a bit of a drain on any Athletic Department.

Moose

« Reply #45 on: February 21, 2013, 07:14:11 PM »
Not entirely, even one trip to Spokane per year for every sports team is a bit of a drain on any Athletic Department.

I'm not a travel agent.  But I'm sure each team ventures to some western city at a certain point.  Creative scheduling.

Also the extra money from the TV deal could help.  Oh wait.  Everyone thinks thats a figment of our imagination.
Remember who broke the Slice news

Marillac

« Reply #46 on: February 21, 2013, 08:10:32 PM »
Marillac, if the Zags joined for hoops only your travel points would be correct but I believe the BE7 want the conference to be an all sports conference and not go all BE right away with different teams participating in different sports.  I could be wrong though.

Spokane is in the very NE part of Washington...right on the border of northern Idaho.  The closest conference game for them would be a seven hour bus trip to Portland.  The Zags probably fly to every single conference game in every sport.  Is the difference between a four hour flight to NYC and a 90 minute flight to San Fran that big?  Same scenario could work in all sports exept maybe baseball.  They would make so much more money if they joined the C7.  It would cover the travel expense several times over. 

Marillac

« Reply #47 on: February 21, 2013, 08:13:12 PM »

I'm not a travel agent.  But I'm sure each team ventures to some western city at a certain point.  Creative scheduling.

Also the extra money from the TV deal could help.  Oh wait.  Everyone thinks thats a figment of our imagination.

AAU teams travel further in a month!  STJ flew to St. Mary's and Alaska in one season and we are rumored to be going to Hawaii soon. 

« Reply #48 on: February 21, 2013, 08:27:46 PM »
As one who travels frequently I'd say yeah, the there's a big difference between the 90 minute flight SPO/SFO and the 5.5 hour flight SFO/SPO.  Problem is Spokane isn't a very big airport so it's not that simple.  They'll need to take connecting flights through Minneapolis, Chicago or Denver to get anywhere unless they're flying charter, which the hoops team may be but the rest unlikely.

On a totally unrelated but somewhat travel and western US basketball related I was in San Jose for the weekend for a volleyball tournament (I killed it, just kidding) and the U of Denver team was staying at our hotel.  Ended up having a long chat/short discussion with Joe Scott who's their coach nowadays.  Had a quick chat about him being considered for the STJ job when he was at Air Force and Jarvis was fired.  He smiled and nodded but didn't say much more.  He's from Jersey and would like to get back east I reckon.  Of course he didn't do too well at Princeton.  Has Denver doing pretty well their first year in the WAC.

Said he thought Lavin was doing a good job at raising the talent level and the results should follow and that the program had sank much further on a national basis than local fans would imagine much less admit.  Don't think I disagree with him.

« Reply #49 on: February 21, 2013, 08:30:09 PM »

AAU teams travel further in a month!  STJ flew to St. Mary's and Alaska in one season and we are rumored to be going to Hawaii soon. 

Rumors are the STJ and BE 7 will go from $1.5 mill per season to $2+mill with the new conference contract.  Non BE 7 a lot less ($500K?).   A10 teams presently get $350K   Apples and oranges.  Do the Zags have their own TV network?  If not I'm guessing they're not getting more than an A-10 team.

« Reply #50 on: February 21, 2013, 08:39:29 PM »
How about The Holy Roman Catholic and Apostolic League?

The Apostolic 12

Moose

« Reply #51 on: February 21, 2013, 08:49:57 PM »
As one who travels frequently I'd say yeah, the there's a big difference between the 90 minute flight SPO/SFO and the 5.5 hour flight SFO/SPO.  Problem is Spokane isn't a very big airport so it's not that simple.  They'll need to take connecting flights through Minneapolis, Chicago or Denver to get anywhere unless they're flying charter, which the hoops team may be but the rest unlikely.

On a totally unrelated but somewhat travel and western US basketball related I was in San Jose for the weekend for a volleyball tournament (I killed it, just kidding) and the U of Denver team was staying at our hotel.  Ended up having a long chat/short discussion with Joe Scott who's their coach nowadays.  Had a quick chat about him being considered for the STJ job when he was at Air Force and Jarvis was fired.  He smiled and nodded but didn't say much more.  He's from Jersey and would like to get back east I reckon.  Of course he didn't do too well at Princeton.  Has Denver doing pretty well their first year in the WAC.

Said he thought Lavin was doing a good job at raising the talent level and the results should follow and that the program had sank much further on a national basis than local fans would imagine much less admit.  Don't think I disagree with him.

Seton Hall?

LJSA

« Reply #52 on: February 21, 2013, 09:07:07 PM »

LJSA

« Reply #53 on: February 21, 2013, 09:15:35 PM »
I want Gonzaga, Butler, and Xavier.

And then I want to wait to see if mass poachings drop a famous name or two in our laps.

St. Louis will always be there for the taking. No need to rush.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 10:13:44 PM by LJSA »

Moose

LJSA

« Reply #55 on: February 21, 2013, 10:26:50 PM »
Does he take the gig, though? He spent a lot of time at Stanford and are WCC headquarters in the Bay Area? It would be a big lifestyle change.

I think he's done a hell of a job in that conference, though. And I love Stanford grads.

sju89tr

« Reply #56 on: February 22, 2013, 10:09:50 AM »
Does he take the gig, though? He spent a lot of time at Stanford and are WCC headquarters in the Bay Area? It would be a big lifestyle change.

I think he's done a hell of a job in that conference, though. And I love Stanford grads.

He has been on east coast as well at Princeton I think.

If he were named President, I would imagine Gonzaga would be added as a member.

They do so much travelling as it is that I don't thionk the issue would be on their end.

In a 12 team conference, they would be in the west conference and would likely make a trip to the most eastern cities three times a year. They could then curtail their travelling for out of conference games against the PAC 12 and other western cities.   

« Reply #57 on: February 22, 2013, 10:30:16 AM »
The travel costs can definitely be an issue.

Keep in mind you have non-revenue sports that need to travel, the Olympic sports so to speak.  Women's Volleyball etc.

Moose

« Reply #58 on: February 22, 2013, 10:44:09 AM »

Keep in mind you have non-revenue sports that need to travel, the Olympic sports so to speak.  Women's Volleyball etc.

True.  Here is what women's vball did this year.

8/24 Road trip to Baltimore for tournament- 4 games
8/31 Road trip to New Britain CT- 3 games
10/6 Road trip to CHI- 1 game
10/7 Road trip to South Bend- 1 game
10/19 Road trip to Pitt- 1 game
10/21 Road trip to Tampa (USF)- 1 game
11/2 Road trip to Cuse- 1 game
11/4 Road trip to Marquette- 1 game
11/7 Road trip to Rutgers- 1 game
11/16 Road trip to Milwaukee (BE tourney)- 1 game

So a lot of one off trips.  They could work their way out west playing 2 games first or go west and work back.

« Reply #59 on: February 22, 2013, 03:00:40 PM »

True.  Here is what women's vball did this year.

8/24 Road trip to Baltimore for tournament- 4 games
8/31 Road trip to New Britain CT- 3 games
10/6 Road trip to CHI- 1 game
10/7 Road trip to South Bend- 1 game
10/19 Road trip to Pitt- 1 game
10/21 Road trip to Tampa (USF)- 1 game
11/2 Road trip to Cuse- 1 game
11/4 Road trip to Marquette- 1 game
11/7 Road trip to Rutgers- 1 game
11/16 Road trip to Milwaukee (BE tourney)- 1 game

So a lot of one off trips.  They could work their way out west playing 2 games first or go west and work back.

Other way around too, Gonzaga has to make those trips to all those places.