Harrison suspended rest of the year

• 537 replies

redslope

Re: Harrison suspended rest of the year
« Reply #460 on: April 16, 2013, 06:25:51 PM »
Of course the shaving thing sounds stupid in and of itself, but not when you look at it in the context of obeying teams rules and listening to your coach.

Well that's what you get from having a coach who spent 7 years having breakfast 3-4 times a month with John Wooden. 

JRW loved to tell the story of Bill Walton showing up for first practice his junior year (returning College Player of the Year and NCAA tournye MVP) with long hair and a beard.  Coach reminded him of his rules on grooming.  Bill replied, "I'm an adult in a free country - you don't have the right to tell me how I should look."  And Coach responded "Bill, you're certainly correct.  I don't have that right.  But I do have the right as Coach of this team  to decide who will be on it.   Your teammates and I will miss you.  Practice will start in 20 minutes." 

Discipline only works if the playes know it will be enforced.  Lavin's move may prove to have been of incredible importance to team success IN THE FUTURE.   Players now know no matter how big a star you are, you're not bigger than the team.    Lav's move might have taken more resolve than Wooden's did.   Steve was in his first year back from caner recovery, and D'Lo was replaced by Marco, Felix and more minutes for Phil.    Wooden already had 8 NCAA titles in the past 9 years in  the bank - he was not going to back down or compromise his rules, and  of course, even If Walton had gone, Swen Nater would have simply gone from 8 minute career backup to first team all american (he was ABA rookie of the year the following season).   :D

Agree 100%--this was not about a season--it was about what we don't have which is a BB program with a strong resume as a team that wins.  D'Angelo was the captain and he was supposed to set the standard as the leader.  As the leader, he did not and so the suspension.  I think D'Angelo's comments in Rubin's Daily News article are extremely positive as he realized it was his fault.  I think this experience can like a fire under him in the classroom and the Gym as he says it is.  He was taking some horrible shots before the suspension and had incredible attitude issues with the constant smirks.  BB is a game and it should be fun; there were times he really did not appear to be having fun or being a teammate-he appeared selfish in his actions.  This turnaround could propel him to one of the all time greats at SJU, particularly if he stays 4 years; but, further, it could make him a better person in the long run.  It would show he is coachable and that could win a lot of time in the NBA because being coachable versus headcase can make the difference of a spot on a team versus being cut.  Keep Growing D'Angelo--it will pay off in the long run (as many [not necessarily all] of us know from how we approached school until we woke up)

jr49

« Reply #461 on: April 16, 2013, 06:34:57 PM »
Never doubted it...basically knew it was probably 80% chance we get both of these guys back. Can we please finally end the speculation with some people being contrarians saying he won't be back in the face of a ton of evidence saying he will? No conspiracy theories here...just evidence. Anyway, great to see things working out. Now the only thing that can really get in our way is the injury bug. If it stays away from our key players though, there are ZERO...let me spell that out Z-E-R-O excuses if this team does not make the tourney. They should be ranked easily with this team early on and dominate the low and mid major teams early in the schedule...think Cincy starting red hot this year, but I don't care about rankings yet. First and foremost we need to make the tourney. I don't care if we bow out after the first round by 40...that's how bad we need a berth to get back on track.
Stormy, we are on track. We were not picked to do anything last year. Coach knows how to run a program. Mighta saved Dlo.

« Reply #462 on: April 16, 2013, 06:55:54 PM »
Somehow someone got in D-Lo's ear and made him realize to grow up and he has a future in basketball.  Lavin certainly got the ball rolling in that aspect.  The NBA doesn't want 6 foot shooting guards, but there are plenty of places in the world who would pay good money for his skill set.  However, that future is not nearly as secure if he's immature.  Only stars can act that way and get away with it.  Hopefully now he realizes that he has to 'play the game' outside the game to be successful long term. 

As it relates to 2013-14, we have a chance to be REAL good.  If you believe what we read about Sanchez and Jordan, they both can be pro's.  A team that almost made the tourney last year getting 1 year older and adding Sanchez/Jordan/Gift/Hooper. 

Foad

« Reply #463 on: April 16, 2013, 09:03:51 PM »
Your referencing an article written in 2010? hmmmmmm......let me see, nope, no mention of Harrison and the reason behind his suspension in that article either. Unless speculation in now considered a fact, you have no idea what you are talking about.

I'm not speculating. Harrison says he was suspended for among other things not shaving. I am taking him at his word. Here is presented evidence that Lavin takes shaving seriously. That supports Harrison's statement. To the contrary, you're speculating that Harrison is a liar. Perhaps you should stop slandering him.

MCNPA

« Reply #464 on: April 16, 2013, 11:58:33 PM »
http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/college/basketball/harrison_vows_sju_comeback_V1VvXdUNiLnAFVmJ7eu60J

"Harrison was vague about what happened but resolute it would never happen again, revealing nothing more than being late to the team bus and not shaving on game days."

Wow, not shaving sounds serious. I guess Lavin had no choice. Plus DH stabbed someone I heard. So he didn't shave on game days, and he stabbed someone, and he stared off into the stands while Rico Hines was talking and then later missed the bus because he was punching out Coach Keady. I wonder what was the last straw, stubble or stabbing Tony Chiles in the eye with an awl. Either way, it shows how seriously Lavs takes discipline and rules. He's like General Patton, nearly. I prefer a Brazilian to completely shaved but to each his own. Hopefully missus Lavin stays well groomed, I'd hate to see them divorce over something so trivial, they seem like a cute couple.

Again, it's obvious you're just stirring the pot.  You know that is not all that happened.  It's pretty obvious.  Some might be that naive.  Not you.  You're just "douching it up" for the crowd.  Enjoy...

SJUFAN

« Reply #465 on: April 17, 2013, 01:31:26 AM »
Your referencing an article written in 2010? hmmmmmm......let me see, nope, no mention of Harrison and the reason behind his suspension in that article either. Unless speculation in now considered a fact, you have no idea what you are talking about.

I'm not speculating. Harrison says he was suspended for among other things not shaving. I am taking him at his word. Here is presented evidence that Lavin takes shaving seriously. That supports Harrison's statement. To the contrary, you're speculating that Harrison is a liar. Perhaps you should stop slandering him.

I never questioned whether Lavin took shaving seriously. You presented evidence for a fact that wasn't in question. I did however question the notion that Harrison not shaving was the reason he was suspended for the rest of the season, which is what some on this thread alluded to, not Harrison. Harrison did not say that was the reason, he stated that was part of the reason. Anyone who then suggests that Harrison not shaving is the reason for the suspension is speculating. There is no gray areas here, but you can continue with your smoke and mirrors act.

Foad

« Reply #466 on: April 17, 2013, 06:57:36 AM »
Hopefully missus Lavin stays well groomed, I'd hate to see them divorce over something so trivial, they seem like a cute couple.

Again, it's obvious you're just stirring the pot.  You know that is not all that happened.  It's pretty obvious.  Some might be that naive.  Not you.  You're just "douching it up" for the crowd.  Enjoy...

I can see why you're upset, but when I mentioned Missus Lavin possibly getting divorced for being hirsute I wasn't referring to you, I was referring to the real, female missus Lavin. Your position is safe.

Foad

« Reply #467 on: April 17, 2013, 07:45:04 AM »
I did however question the notion that Harrison not shaving was the reason he was suspended for the rest of the season, which is what some on this thread alluded to, not Harrison.

Huh what? This what Harrison told the NY Post

"Harrison was vague about what happened but resolute it would never happen again, revealing nothing more than being late to the team bus and not shaving on game days."

In a sense you're right: Harrison did not "allude to" shaving. Allude means to make an indirect reference. Whereas he's talking about shaving directly, mentioning it by name, and saying that not doing it contributed to his suspension. It could not be more clear and yet you managed to misunderstand it.

Harrison did not say that was the reason, he stated that was part of the reason. Anyone who then suggests that Harrison not shaving is the reason for the suspension is speculating. There is no gray areas here, but you can continue with your smoke and mirrors act.

Good grief. No one suggested that not shaving is the sole reason that he got suspended. Everyone knows it was a cumulative thing: he didn't shave plus then later he was late for the bus and then he stabbed several people while adorned with thuggish tattoos. What you said was that not only did shaving have nothing to do with it but that Harrison made the shaving thing up as a prank:

"Harrison ... gave the media something in jest by making the shaving comment .... Do some of you actually believe his suspension is because he didn't shave?"

The only way your analysis could have been less right would have been if you mistook the SJ mentioned in the article for Saint Joe's.

SJUFAN

« Reply #468 on: April 17, 2013, 10:04:25 AM »
No one suggested that not shaving is the sole reason that he got suspended.

Good...That was what I wanted to make clear. Glad your on board.

« Reply #469 on: April 17, 2013, 01:19:15 PM »
Shaving's important in basketball.

« Reply #470 on: April 17, 2013, 01:27:16 PM »
This is well past the point of amusing.  What is clear is that both Lavin and Dlo know that he was suspended for a cumulative number of transgressions and rule violations that may have been minor in nature but were combined with a general lack of respect for the program.  Over the course of the season it was clear in watching games and also alluded to in many insider posts that at various times Dlo has shown a lack of respect for opponents, officials, fans, the staff, and possibly even his teammates.  Perhaps the beginnings (or midpoint) of a downward spiral had been identified and coach wanted to nip it in the bud before it was terminal.  Or should this have been allowed to go on?  Should coach not have sacrificed the glory of a first round exit in the dance, which was not guaranteed anyway, for what could return exponentially better results in 2013/14 when the roster will be full and the goals/ceiling for the team much higher?

LJSA

« Reply #471 on: April 17, 2013, 08:05:08 PM »

And if his team had a policy of shaving for games, he damn well better do it.

boo3

« Reply #472 on: April 17, 2013, 08:10:33 PM »
 Yankees make their guys shave facial hair also, no?

This ongoing conversation/debate is amusing.  Anyone with a fraction of common  sense knows that D-lo wasn't suspended because he didn't shave.

Moose

« Reply #473 on: April 17, 2013, 08:14:12 PM »

This ongoing conversation/debate is amusing.  Anyone with a fraction of common  sense knows that D-lo wasn't suspended because he didn't shave.

So your saying Dee not only glares at people the wrong way but ALSO lies?!?!?!?!
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #474 on: April 17, 2013, 08:14:24 PM »

He has an acting career ahead of him on the next A Team movie

boo3

« Reply #475 on: April 17, 2013, 08:35:35 PM »

So your saying Dee not only glares at people the wrong way but ALSO lies?!?!?!?!

I said neither, MOAD.. ;)

The idea that shave-gate is the SOLE reason is what I was disputing.  Team rules are team rules.  Not that hard to follow, actually.   

Sounds like water under the bridge at this point.  Time to move on.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2013, 08:44:45 PM by boo3 »

Foad

« Reply #476 on: April 17, 2013, 09:12:16 PM »
The idea that shave-gate is the SOLE reason is what I was disputing.

No one said it was the sole reason, all in caps or otherwise. You're the second person who now has clarified something that no one said. Kudos.

boo3

« Reply #477 on: April 17, 2013, 09:36:42 PM »

No one said it was the sole reason, all in caps or otherwise. You're the second person who now has clarified something that no one said. Kudos.

Whew.. just making sure.

MCNPA

« Reply #478 on: April 17, 2013, 10:10:03 PM »

Point is that you were the one that was suggesting it was the reason he was suspended.  No mystery here.  Don't know why you're trying to deny it?  It's exactly what you were doing. 

« Reply #479 on: April 18, 2013, 01:23:17 AM »

On the contrary, shaving is important in basketball!  ;)
« Last Edit: April 18, 2013, 01:25:51 AM by Johnny4Life »