Talked to D'angelo at the game yesterday

• 241 replies
Re: Talked to D'angelo at the game yesterday
« Reply #40 on: March 15, 2013, 11:19:11 AM »

I liked Lavin when he arrived here, but I don't like how the 3 year plan suddenly became the 5 year plan.

Yeah, shame he didn't forsee his cancer diagnosis at his intro press conf.

3 to 5 is two years. I have never been critical of the extra time coach has needed to deal with his health and family matters. Why would you suggest that?

It is certainly fair to criticize a coach who has put together a poor season. Is it not?

Please wit the "fair to criticize." Y'all is off the rails, lookin fo evrytin to harp on to ridic levels.

Seems like evrybdy's become a whiney bitch the last few day. And that include a lotta this board's stalwarts.
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

« Reply #41 on: March 15, 2013, 11:26:34 AM »
Quote-Please wit the "fair to criticize." Y'all is off the rails, lookin fo evrytin to harp on to ridic levels. Choz

I'll play along. Choz are you really going to tell me there was a good reason to play the walkon's the last two games over scholarship guys? What was the deal with the inbounds defense drill during the TO? Have you ever seen that before? Can you imagine Louie doing that to Willie Glass? What was the point of the momentum stopping TO in the BET? That TO was almost like he never coached before. This is a fan forum and if fans are not going to question obviously strange moves what is the point of this place?

« Reply #42 on: March 15, 2013, 11:31:17 AM »

I liked Lavin when he arrived here, but I don't like how the 3 year plan suddenly became the 5 year plan.

3 to 5 is two years. I have never been critical of the extra time coach has needed to deal with his health and family matters. Why would you suggest that?

It is certainly fair to criticize a coach who has put together a poor season. Is it not?

Please wit the "fair to criticize." Y'all is off the rails, lookin fo evrytin to harp on to ridic levels.

Seems like evrybdy's become a whiney bitch the last few day. And that include a lotta this board's stalwarts.

All good in Baldi's world. Can't wait for selection Sunday ;)
« Last Edit: March 15, 2013, 11:31:39 AM by Marco Baldi »

boo3

« Reply #43 on: March 15, 2013, 11:33:47 AM »

Amen !!!  It's becoming painful to read.

Between the whining and the horrible jokes beaten to death.... Johnny Bungle

« Reply #44 on: March 15, 2013, 11:37:42 AM »
Quote-Amen !!!  It's becoming painful to read.

Between the whining and the horrible jokes beaten to death.... Johnny Bungle -Boo

Do you think Lavin did a good job this year?

« Reply #45 on: March 15, 2013, 11:38:21 AM »

Amen !!!  It's becoming painful to read.

Between the whining and the horrible jokes beaten to death.... Johnny Bungle

A reality check for some.

Agreed you could argue not everything has gone as planned but quite frankly a realistic look at things from the perspective of when he took over, SJU/Lavin are basically on schedule for what he foresaw as building an eventual consistent NCAA team.

Year 1: Squeeze an NCAA bid out of the remaining Roberts team.  ACCOMPLISHED.

Year 2: Develop a young team with some top recruits but clearly a transistion year with little if any hope of an NCAA bid.  AND THAT IS BEFORE THE CANCER.

-Within this of course was the 3 kids deemed ineligible.  Rise had little to do with it since they all needed work to try to get eligible.  Without Rise almost everything happens the same ANYWAY.  Sampson needs an extra year, Pelle never is eligible anyway and Garrett comes 2nd semester.  How does going to Rise change that?  Somehow Pelle doesn't go to summer school but then somehow becomes eligible at some point.  How in the Hell does that happen?  The kid is still not eligible.

-Cancer with Lavin and needs to sit a year.  With some consequences as Gathers decommits which to me is still the no. 1 consequence of him sitting a year.  But again no one could foresee this.

Year 3: Complete the roster overhaul by adding top recruits for 2012 with the 2011 class and begin to develop an identity.  Also reasonable to expect a post-season, NCAA bubble or at least NIT.  At 16-10 there were clearly headed for the NIT and were an NCAA bubble team.  And that is without Sanchez.  Clearly the Harrison suspension took some life out of the team as well as major perimter scoring.  You want to say he could have coached them better the last 5 games, OK.  But hardly an impeachable offense worthy of some of the nonsense being posted.

Year 4 (next year):  New conference but clearly SJU should have the roster and the expectations to be among the best in the new conference and also be an NCAA team.  And Lavin has stated as such.  He said that this year is the "bridge year" to next year where the bar gets set to consistently be an NCAA team.

If you look at it that way what exactly could you argue in terms of being off schedule?  You want to argue that the NCAA start should have happened in Year 3?  OK.  So Lavin is 1 year behind.  Not to mention the fact he had this little thing called CANCER.  But I would argue he is generally on schedule even if he doesn't get Cancer let alone the fact he got it.

Go look at Mark Turgeon at Maryland.  First 2 years combined with Gary Williams last year and Maryland will be 3 straight years WITHOUT an NCAA bid.  That is a top 10 job.  Look at the recruits he has signed, big time.  ACC does not even touch the BE in terms of depth either.  Heck last year and Williams' last year Maryland didn't even make the NIT.  That is 2 straight years without even a measly NIT bid.  They should go to at least the NIT this year.

Sean Miller at Arizona first 3 years and only 1 of them resulted in an NCAA bid and 1 didn't even result in an NIT bid.  Arizona is a tremendous job.

Poison

« Reply #46 on: March 15, 2013, 11:40:01 AM »

Yea, no. He's a professional making a handsome salary. Harrison went through the ringer in the media. It's more than fair to judge Lavin on the body of work. He is not absolved of everything because of off the court issues.

« Reply #47 on: March 15, 2013, 11:42:04 AM »
Quote- Within this of course was the 3 kids deemed ineligible.  Rise had little to do with it since they all needed work to try to get eligible.  Without Rise almost everything happens the same ANYWAY.  Sampson needs an extra year, Pelle never is eligible anyway and Garrett comes 2nd semester.  How does going to Rise change that?  Somehow Pelle doesn't go to summer school but then somehow becomes eligible at some point

Personally I have no problem with recruiting kids that have eligibity questions. ST John's does not recruit itself and you have to take risks. But you can't use that an anexcuse either. Ultimately even if it is not a point of contention for me, that does fall on the coach.

boo3

« Reply #48 on: March 15, 2013, 11:44:15 AM »
Up until the last 1/4 of the season, I think the team performed at or above expectations.  We were tied for third in the BE at one point.   He missed a week and the the team fell off the rails.   It is what it is. 

I'm not going to start psychoanalysis on coach. I'm not going to second guess his decision to bench Harrison.  Why would I?  Anyone remotely close to the program said it was a long time coming. 

It was his second year coaching here technically.  I knew it would take 4-5 years.  If you did not, that's on you.

Poison

« Reply #49 on: March 15, 2013, 11:46:45 AM »
Up until the last 1/4 of the season, I think the team performed at or above expectations.  We were tied for third in the BE at one point.   He missed a week and the the team fell off the rails.   It is what it is. 

I'm not going to start psychoanalysis on coach. I'm not going to second guess his decision to bench Harrison.  Why would I?  Anyone remotely close to the program said it was a long time coming. 

It was his second year coaching here technically.  I knew it would take 4-5 years.  If you did not, that's on you.

Lavin himself said 3 years. Why is it on us if we believed him?

« Reply #50 on: March 15, 2013, 11:47:45 AM »
I did not ask about expectations or anything else. In fact if I were to bet I say Harrison does not come back and this team without Harrison and with Sanchez is not an NCAA team next year. I really don't have a problem with that. As I have said I do not see a better alternative for the program than Lavin.
My question was do you think he did a good job this season? If you did you would have simply said yes.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2013, 11:49:06 AM by we are sju »

boo3

« Reply #51 on: March 15, 2013, 11:49:47 AM »

Gee Poison, I don't know.  Your smart enough to figure it out I think.  Fordham spelled it out pretty clearly.  I know you don't care, but, like I said, that's on you.

Poison

« Reply #52 on: March 15, 2013, 11:53:10 AM »

Gee Poison, I don't know.  Your smart enough to figure it out I think.  Fordham spelled it out pretty clearly.  I know you don't care, but, like I said, that's on you.

Nothing has been intelligently spelled out. Certainly not by Fordham. Lavin missed one year. Not two. Be as sarcastic as you like, but your math sucks if you think Lavin's 13-14 season should be a rebuilding one.

« Reply #53 on: March 15, 2013, 11:53:46 AM »
Quote-Please wit the "fair to criticize." Y'all is off the rails, lookin fo evrytin to harp on to ridic levels. Choz

I'll play along.

You might not like gettin yo ankles shredded, but well....

Choz

Yes?

are you really going to tell me there was a good reason to play the walkon's the last two games over scholarship guys?

Failin to read is failin to read. Hit Page 2

What was the deal with the inbounds defense drill during the TO?

Goin out on a limb here, but Lav was so frustrated that in teh heat of the moment he took Dom and showed him sometin he has shown him time and time again in practice that still has not sunk in wit Dom.

But I'll go wit the it was premeditated that Lav knew the camera was right there, that he could show a national audience that he has a young team and can milk it wit the display.

Cause that make more sense, right?

Keady behind the grassy knoll, btw.

Have you ever seen that before? Can you imagine Louie doing that to Willie Glass?

I seen coach's call they players "cunts" "mother#$%^ers" and "fierce person s" on the college level in front of friends and family after they do sometin dumb or lazy or both. I seen Lou yell at the top of his lung at Lee Green and within earshot of his moms that he was "the dumbest goddamn player" he'd ever seen at a TO before Ron Rut come to play good cop back in the Lapchick Tourny circa 92. 

So when Lav takes a moment in frustratin to do sometin seemingly constructive, I take no harm away from it.

But we should.

We should.

Cause Lav is diabolical.

What was the point of the momentum stopping TO in the BET?

Dont know. I think it was a mistake. But I think Jamal playin like he left his game in KC was mo of a factor fo the loss.

« Last Edit: March 15, 2013, 11:56:09 AM by Choz4Life »

« Reply #54 on: March 15, 2013, 11:54:22 AM »

Give me the quote where he exactly said that.  I remember his opening press conference where he said 3-4 years and he emphasized the 4th year.

More importantly he did have Cancer one of those years. 

I agree next year is a big year.  Talk to me a year from now and if we are in the same position I will seriously question the direction of the program.   Let's assume they have a good year next year though.  Are you seriously going to come on this board and still claim that because it is a 4th year and not the 3rd year that somehow he is a liar and cannot be trusted?

Choz is 100% right. 

« Reply #55 on: March 15, 2013, 11:55:01 AM »
Interestin to note that a hateful slur fo gay people comes out as "fierce person."

« Reply #56 on: March 15, 2013, 11:55:59 AM »

I'll play along.

You might not like gettin yo ankles shredded, but well....

Choz

Yes?

are you really going to tell me there was a good reason to play the walkon's the last two games over scholarship guys?

Failin to read is failin to read. Hit Page 2

What was the deal with the inbounds defense drill during the TO?

Goin out on a limb here, but Lav was so frustrated that in teh heat of the moment he took Dom and showed him sometin he has shown him time and time again in practice that still has not sunk in wit Dom.

But I'll go wit the it was premeditated that Lav knew the camera was right there, that he could show a national audience that he has a young team and can milk it wit the display.

Cause that make more sense, right?

Keady behind the grassy knoll, btw.

Have you ever seen that before? Can you imagine Louie doing that to Willie Glass?

I seen coach's call they players "cunts" "mother#$%^ers" and "fierce person s" on the college level in front of friends and family after they do sometin dumb or lazy or both. I seen Lou yell at the top of his lung at Lee Green and within earshot of his moms that he was "the dumbest goddamn player" he'd ever seen at a TO before Ron Rut come to play good cop back in the Lapchick Tourny circa 92. 

So when Lav takes a moment in frustratin to do sometin seemingly constructive, I take no harm away from it.

But we should.

We should.

Cause Lav is diabolical.

What was the point of the momentum stopping TO in the BET?

Dont know. I think it was a mistake. But I think Jamal playin like he left his game in KC was mo of a factor fo the loss.

This is a fan forum and if fans are not going to question obviously strange moves what is the point of this place?

Dont mind yo. Dont mind at all. except whiney bitches, which is where I draw the line.

BOOOOMMMM!!!!

I don't even need to post anymore after that.

jr49

« Reply #57 on: March 15, 2013, 11:57:44 AM »
Harrison back without the anger be great. He be a better teammate and player if he be listening with a clear head. 3 year plan went to 5 because we need a point guard bad. I thing Coach Steve going to be bringing top players down the road. He just getting started, and some obstacles came up along the way. Our guys having some rough spots now are the kids getting this thing off the ground. Good hoops ahead. The stuff about slugging coaches be some nasty negative stuff that only degrades the program. Some of the stuff that posters throw at one another I really don't get. We be a bunch of guys who pull hard for St. Johns hoops,right? Whats all the other stuff about? I find the guys ere really know hoops. Why anyone need to bring the ugly and nasty's?   

boo3

« Reply #58 on: March 15, 2013, 11:58:41 AM »

Nothing has been intelligently spelled out. Certainly not by Fordham. Lavin missed one year. Not two. Be as sarcastic as you like, but your math sucks if you think Lavin's 13-14 season should be a rebuilding one.

I didn't say that.  Last year and this year were rebuilding. Next year, year 4, cry all you want if we don't make tourney. I'll be there with you.

« Reply #59 on: March 15, 2013, 11:59:37 AM »
All good in Baldi's world. Can't wait for selection Sunday ;)

Another reason why Baldi's the best... timing is evrytin. lol