Talked to D'angelo at the game yesterday

• 241 replies

paultzman

Re: Talked to D'angelo at the game yesterday
« Reply #100 on: March 16, 2013, 03:02:08 PM »

I liked Lavin when he arrived here, but I don't like how the 3 year plan suddenly became the 5 year plan.

Yeah, shame he didn't forsee his cancer diagnosis at his intro press conf.

3 to 5 is two years. I have never been critical of the extra time coach has needed to deal with his health and family matters. Why would you suggest that?

It is certainly fair to criticize a coach who has put together a poor season. Is it not?

Please wit the "fair to criticize." Y'all is off the rails, lookin fo evrytin to harp on to ridic levels.

Seems like evrybdy's become a whiney bitch the last few day. And that include a lotta this board's stalwarts.

Yea, no. He's a professional making a handsome salary. Harrison went through the ringer in the media. It's more than fair to judge Lavin on the body of work. He is not absolved of everything because of off the court issues.

Not absolving coach of his responsibility...playing walk-on in BE is odd...free reign for Greene questionable...inconsistent use of certain players puzzling...BUT...we are absolutely better off than we have been in 10+ years...are heading in the right direction and expectations that we would be a top team in Year 3 after losing Harkless or that we would have a perfect roster balance after 2 years  is unreasonable IMO...

I don't get why people question Lipscomb (spelling)so much?  In his short time, he looked to be to be a pretty damn good defender and he probably is one of the better shooters (not hard).  Lavin likes to reward kids that work hard in practice, and maybe this kid brings it all day, every day. 

Kid played in one game previously. Surprise is warranted.

Moose

« Reply #101 on: March 16, 2013, 03:26:41 PM »

I liked Lavin when he arrived here, but I don't like how the 3 year plan suddenly became the 5 year plan.

Yeah, shame he didn't forsee his cancer diagnosis at his intro press conf.

3 to 5 is two years. I have never been critical of the extra time coach has needed to deal with his health and family matters. Why would you suggest that?

It is certainly fair to criticize a coach who has put together a poor season. Is it not?

Please wit the "fair to criticize." Y'all is off the rails, lookin fo evrytin to harp on to ridic levels.

Seems like evrybdy's become a whiney bitch the last few day. And that include a lotta this board's stalwarts.

Yea, no. He's a professional making a handsome salary. Harrison went through the ringer in the media. It's more than fair to judge Lavin on the body of work. He is not absolved of everything because of off the court issues.

Not absolving coach of his responsibility...playing walk-on in BE is odd...free reign for Greene questionable...inconsistent use of certain players puzzling...BUT...we are absolutely better off than we have been in 10+ years...are heading in the right direction and expectations that we would be a top team in Year 3 after losing Harkless or that we would have a perfect roster balance after 2 years  is unreasonable IMO...

I don't get why people question Lipscomb (spelling)so much?  In his short time, he looked to be to be a pretty damn good defender and he probably is one of the better shooters (not hard).  Lavin likes to reward kids that work hard in practice, and maybe this kid brings it all day, every day. 

How can you tell he was a good shooter from that time in the game?
Remember who broke the Slice news

Foad

« Reply #102 on: March 16, 2013, 04:02:25 PM »

If he's a pretty damn good defender and one of the better shooters and brings it all day every day why did he play 3 minutes? He should have started.

Interesting you can tell he's a good shooter. His shooting percentage is 0.0000. He's 0-2 for season in 9 minutes total. Those must have been two impressive misses.

Poison

« Reply #103 on: March 16, 2013, 04:13:02 PM »
Guys, put down the kook aid. Put down whatever it is that you're consuming. Playing a walk on is cause for question.

ras

« Reply #104 on: March 16, 2013, 07:32:09 PM »
You dont reward a walkon during an important part of the BE tourny game. You reward him when you are up  big w 2 minutes left.

« Reply #105 on: March 16, 2013, 09:22:35 PM »
I see a lot of people saying "if we make the tourney next year"/"if we don't turn the corner next year"/etc. Has coach Lav been through a lot and gotten a raw deal with plenty of bad luck? Of course. But even without Pelle, Gathers, etc. Lavin brought in back to back top 25 recruiting classes. I believe many of the teams who recruited similarly well are either ranked or bubble teams. Some didn't pan out, but I believe the majority did well, and by well I mean 18-20 ish wins or more.

Next year assuming we lose no one, Obekpa is a soph, Sampson is a soph, Gift is a senior, Sanchez is a senior, Harrison is a junior, Branch is a junior(?), Greene is a junior, Pointer is a junior, Garrett is a junior, etc. plus Hooper and Marco who I'm not sure about, but they will have experience too. A team that has: the #1 blocker in the nation, the Big East ROY, a top scorer in the Big East, a DR national team player supposedly already NBA ready, a solid PG, etc. mixed with lots of upper classmen is a recipe for the NCAA's. The only thing that may be excusable is injuries to key players. But assuming we stay healthy and everyone is back, if we don't make the NCAA's and win about 20+ we have every right to question Lavin. Some people on here are so shy regarding expectations and give excuses. Not next year. Next year is do or die, boom or bust time. It will either catapult us back into the national conversation, or solidify us as a basement new Big East team.

« Reply #106 on: March 18, 2013, 11:47:56 PM »
I don't get why people question Lipscomb (spelling)so much?

5 - 0 other teams favor with him on the court.  Nothing more, nothing less.  Whatever Hollywood had in mind, it backfired.

« Reply #107 on: March 19, 2013, 09:09:20 AM »
back to the topic...someone better convince d'angelo it's a game.  you're supposed to have fun. 

not only d'angelo.  this is the tightest team i've ever seen at st john's.  i don't know why they play so scared.  they'll get killed at st joe's tonight if they don't loosen up and play for fun. 

« Reply #108 on: March 23, 2013, 06:50:51 PM »
Scariest part is how close the 16 wins could have been 20-21

Agreed. However, the scarier part is that it could of also been 11-12.

Seriously, did we miss and X and O guy this year? Absolutely. Did Lavin take a gamble with Sanchez? Absolutely. Did it pay off this year? No. However, if Harrison comes back and actually listens and gels with the team, next years team should be able to make a nice run. The only thing I will miss is having Dunlap being able to work with Obekpa for an offseason. He would of turned him into a defensive monster for next year.

« Last Edit: March 23, 2013, 06:55:27 PM by Johnny4Life »

TONYD3

« Reply #109 on: March 23, 2013, 08:29:07 PM »
back to the topic...someone better convince d'angelo it's a game.  you're supposed to have fun. 

not only d'angelo.  this is the tightest team i've ever seen at st john's.  i don't know why they play so scared.  they'll get killed at st joe's tonight if they don't loosen up and play for fun. 
Didn't see this before . Don't agree. Think they lose because they are not talenTed basketball players. Think they come out swinging and we win tomorrow . Need Harrison back and think he will be back

jr49

« Reply #110 on: March 23, 2013, 09:27:07 PM »
Scariest part is how close the 16 wins could have been 20-21

Agreed. However, the scarier part is that it could of also been 11-12.

Seriously, did we miss and X and O guy this year? Absolutely. Did Lavin take a gamble with Sanchez? Absolutely. Did it pay off this year? No. However, if Harrison comes back and actually listens and gels with the team, next years team should be able to make a nice run. The only thing I will miss is having Dunlap being able to work with Obekpa for an offseason. He would of turned him into a defensive monster for next year.
We missed a point guard. Not just someone who says he plays the position. A real point guard. It shows how bad we needed one when Lavs mentioned giving Harrison time there. That was Steve trying to be nice. It didn't pay.

Tiznow

« Reply #111 on: March 24, 2013, 10:00:04 AM »
Back on topic...can anyone confirm that he's still going to class.

A student told me he's been class this week.  Also, said attends all the time.

« Reply #112 on: March 24, 2013, 10:31:01 AM »
Back on topic...can anyone confirm that he's still going to class.

A student told me he's been class this week.  Also, said attends all the time.

He has or hasnt been?
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

Moose

« Reply #113 on: March 24, 2013, 12:24:12 PM »
He has.
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #114 on: March 24, 2013, 01:29:41 PM »
SJU really needs him in 2013-'14. Can't expect to take a big jump with Branch and Greene as your starting guards. You need help.

Tiznow

« Reply #115 on: March 24, 2013, 01:38:26 PM »
He has.

Yea - that's what I heard.  Hope he's back next season.

Poison

« Reply #116 on: March 24, 2013, 01:39:33 PM »
He has.

If he isn't back, then I'm cool w Lavin going to USC. Harrison is his only chance at the tournament.

« Reply #117 on: March 24, 2013, 01:40:21 PM »
He has.

If he isn't back, then I'm cool w Lavin going to USC. Harrison is his only chance at the tournament.

Are there really rumors about that?

« Reply #118 on: March 24, 2013, 01:45:04 PM »
SJU really needs him in 2013-'14. Can't expect to take a big jump with Branch and Greene as your starting guards. You need help.

If I were Lavin I would kiss his you know what to make sure he comes back. We likely only have 1 more year of him anyway. Just squeeze out the scoring we need from him. His character sucks, but whatever it happens. We are not in a position to choose from a ton of shooters. At this point we need anything we can get especially if we don't get Jordan which I have a terrible feeling about (just a gut). Watch Severe turn into the next Calhoun if we don't get him. Just the latest local product that can shoot and doesn't come to SJ.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2013, 01:45:40 PM by RedStormyNight »

jr49

« Reply #119 on: March 24, 2013, 09:19:58 PM »
Lavin being sweet to H. Was a mistake. Point guard my ass. He shoulda listed the 8 holes in his game that if he were a nice fellow the staff would help him out with so he 'd worth something to someone as a player.