Talked to D'angelo at the game yesterday

• 241 replies

Foad

Re: Talked to D'angelo at the game yesterday
« Reply #180 on: April 11, 2013, 12:35:26 PM »
Would Harrison be ok being 6th man?

Why not. Worked out for Vinnie Johnson. He went to Baylor as well.

LJSA

« Reply #181 on: April 11, 2013, 12:45:12 PM »
Would Harrison be ok being 6th man? Unless Lavin goes three guard and has Pointer coming off the bench

Lavin may tinker for a while (and probably tinker way too much), but I can't see how Jordan, Harrison, Pointer, Sanchez, and Sampson aren't the starters if Sheed is as good as advertised.

« Reply #182 on: April 11, 2013, 12:46:00 PM »
That was in the pros playing behind two hall of fame guards. Would Harrison be ok with playing behind a frosh and Greene?

DFF6

« Reply #183 on: April 11, 2013, 12:49:01 PM »
That was in the pros playing behind two hall of fame guards. Would Harrison be ok with playing behind a frosh and Greene?

Can't see it.

« Reply #184 on: April 11, 2013, 12:55:50 PM »
My stance that Harrison will leave is just a prediction, I hope he stays. My prediction that Greene is starting under any and all circumstance is fact. Any starting lineup someone offers up w/o Greene as one of the 5 is not going to happen!

« Reply #185 on: April 11, 2013, 01:19:29 PM »
Would Harrison be ok being 6th man? Unless Lavin goes three guard and has Pointer coming off the bench

Why do fans always think the freshman is going to come in and start?  D'Angelo has averaged 15 ppg basically since he stepped on the court for St. John's and your immediate thought is that Rysheed suddenly kicks him to the curb.

I think people really underestimate the value of experience at the college level.  Players like D'Angelo, Phil, and Dom are battled tested at this level and have been through tough games.  Please don't ignore that.

« Reply #186 on: April 11, 2013, 01:28:28 PM »
Unless you are Kentucky, Carolina, etc, generally to get kids like this you guarantee a starting spot. Plus this is not 1980, kids now expect to go to the pros after one season. No one is waiting around to get PT in college.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2013, 01:28:54 PM by we are sju »

paultzman

« Reply #187 on: April 11, 2013, 01:30:24 PM »
Unless you are Kentucky, Carolina, etc, generally to get kids like this you guarantee a starting spot. Plus this is not 1980, kids now expect to go to the pros after one season. No one is waiting around to get PT in college.

Exactly

Poison

« Reply #188 on: April 11, 2013, 01:38:23 PM »

Lavin may tinker for a while (and probably tinker way too much), but I can't see how Jordan, Harrison, Pointer, Sanchez, and Sampson aren't the starters if Sheed is as good as advertised.

If think we have a lot talented players. I like the idea that so many of them could start. Work hard over the summer and prove that you've taken the summer seriously, an earn it. For all we know the starting PG could be Branch. The starting small forward could be Jones. Competition like this is healthy.

SJU79 - Do you think DLo comes back?
« Reply #189 on: April 11, 2013, 01:39:32 PM »
any updates or thoughts?

much appreciated.  thanks.

tnice

« Reply #190 on: April 11, 2013, 03:02:43 PM »
That was in the pros playing behind two hall of fame guards.

It was also in a 48 minute game where there was enough PT for everyone.

No way is Harrison coming off the bench if he comes back.

« Reply #191 on: April 11, 2013, 03:15:56 PM »
If Harrison does come back, the majority of the minutes should go to Sanchez, Sampson, Pointer, Harrison, Jordan and Obepka with Greene and Branch being 7th and 8th men. Hopefully Lavin realizes that Greene can't be a focal point of the team at this point.

MCNPA

« Reply #192 on: April 11, 2013, 03:24:37 PM »
If Harrison does come back, the majority of the minutes should go to Sanchez, Sampson, Pointer, Harrison, Jordan and Obepka with Greene and Branch being 7th and 8th men. Hopefully Lavin realizes that Greene can't be a focal point of the team at this point.

100% Correct, and that is what will happen if and when Harrison is back. People asking why Rysheed Jordan will be starter at PG?  The kid is just that good.  I like Branch, but Jordan is a different level of PG than either Branch of Phil.  I saw some nice streaks of play from Branch before injury, so I think he will be valuable.  As I see it now though, Jordan will eventually own majority PG minutes and Harrison at SG with branch and Greene both getting solid time backing up Jordan and Harrison.

« Reply #193 on: April 11, 2013, 03:29:01 PM »
I also think you will see a lot of three guard rotations. But if Jordan is the real deal and Harrison comes back they should both play close to 30 and Greene and Branch should fight over the remaining minutes and the minutes when they go three guard. Whichever plays better of the two plays more.

MCNPA

« Reply #194 on: April 11, 2013, 03:57:27 PM »
I also think you will see a lot of three guard rotations. But if Jordan is the real deal and Harrison comes back they should both play close to 30 and Greene and Branch should fight over the remaining minutes and the minutes when they go three guard. Whichever plays better of the two plays more.

That's the way I see it too.  It will all depend on matchups.  We will go bigger/smaller depending on who we play.  Odd man out will be Balamou but that will change after this year when we could lose some kids. 

« Reply #195 on: April 11, 2013, 04:15:11 PM »
if jordan is the real deal, EVERYONE, including my boy Phil will be 100x better.  don't sleep on Phil folks, i think he'll be just as good if not better than Harrison next season.

« Reply #196 on: April 11, 2013, 04:30:56 PM »
if jordan is the real deal, EVERYONE, including my boy Phil will be 100x better.  don't sleep on Phil folks, i think he'll be just as good if not better than Harrison next season.

That's crazy.

« Reply #197 on: April 11, 2013, 04:32:00 PM »

Wow. I like Phil but think youll be disappointed if that is your expectation for him next year.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

paultzman

« Reply #198 on: April 11, 2013, 04:36:36 PM »

Um no.

« Reply #199 on: April 11, 2013, 04:43:06 PM »
phil is not a PG. which is pretty much all we've seen him do in his 2 years. when harrison was out, phil showed flashes. i also think he's a smart player who plays within himself and doesn't force it (unlike harrison).  if Phil plays his natural position all year, i think he'll be very good.