2013-2014 Schedule

• 909 replies
Re: 2013-2014 Schedule
« Reply #620 on: August 08, 2013, 09:08:21 AM »
Will any of this matter, if we are nationally ranked at this time?

« Reply #621 on: August 08, 2013, 09:37:59 AM »
Spoke to someone involved with the program yesterday, we will be the first game because we share the locker room with the Knicks.  Things could change but as of right now we are playing first.

MCNPA

« Reply #622 on: August 08, 2013, 09:44:04 AM »
Who really cares whether we are the first or second game?  Two great games and nice day of basketball with 4 good teams.  Can't complain about that.

TONYD3

« Reply #623 on: August 08, 2013, 10:06:04 AM »
I bet we are the first game. We play before a half empty gym. One of our biggest rivals comes in and sells the place out. How is that a good idea? This only works if we play play a double header with us playing a team like Kentucky or indianna.
I know the Georgia game was neutral, but I have also been to plenty of noon starts. Not exactly packed houses

« Reply #624 on: August 08, 2013, 10:36:28 AM »
You guys are overanalyzing this.  It will be just like a normal game in terms of the crowd for us.  School will be in session so our students will be there in their normal student section and our season ticket holders will be there in their normal seats.  If anything it will bring more of our casual fans out to see another big-time matchup.  You will also get fans of Michigan State and Georgetown watching our games.  I predict an above-average crowd for our part of the double-header.   Georgetown hasn't been a huge draw to MSG, Verizon Center or anywhere in the last few years even with their great regular season success. They will not bring more than 7000 fans there, guaranteed.

gman

« Reply #625 on: August 08, 2013, 10:38:27 AM »
ESPn big Monday schedule out and obviously we aren't on there. The schedule looks pretty crappy actually

« Reply #626 on: August 08, 2013, 10:56:23 AM »
BIG Monday does not have the Big east anymore.

Secondly,  If St. John's fans buy tickets and show up this whole thing will not matter.  SJU fans will have first opportunity with tickets before go on sale to public.

MCNPA

« Reply #627 on: August 08, 2013, 11:22:42 AM »
ESPn big Monday schedule out and obviously we aren't on there. The schedule looks pretty crappy actually

Gman, Fox might be doing a Big Monday type thing as well.  Gotta wait and see. Nobody from Big East is getting Big Monday any more for the most part, so it's o surprise. 

paultzman

« Reply #628 on: August 08, 2013, 12:07:02 PM »
No angst please, just play & win!!

“@StJohnsBBall: IT'S OFFICIAL: #SJUBB vs. Marquette at 12:30 p.m. on Feb. 1 as part of a SUPER SATURDAY Doubleheader with MSU-Gtown on @FOXSports1. #stjbb”

« Reply #629 on: August 08, 2013, 12:13:36 PM »
I never saw the big deal about the order of games. It's a great day of basketball. 

paultzman

« Reply #630 on: August 08, 2013, 12:16:37 PM »
I never saw the big deal about the order of games. It's a great day of basketball. 

Agree and what clout do we have? Being objective, we have not set the world on fire the past two years. Win big this year, recruit well and hopefully that changes.

Moose

« Reply #631 on: August 08, 2013, 12:20:19 PM »
Manhatten made a great point about the locker room usage.  Its not a 12pm start, its not 11am start which I know many fans including myself hated.  It's 12:30 and your getting 2 great games for the price of 1.
Remember who broke the Slice news

paultzman

« Reply #632 on: August 08, 2013, 12:27:01 PM »
Fox release;

Six months out, much of what is planned in and around Super Bowl XLVIII has yet to be revealed, but two things are certain: the game is set to be broadcast by FOX Sports; and FOX Sports 1, America’s new sports network launching on Aug. 17, is planning to televise a week’s-worth of super events and programs leading up to what is sure to be the boldest and coldest Super Bowl ever.

Courtesy of FOX Sports’ landmark 12-year multi-platform media rights agreement with the BIG EAST Conference beginning this academic year, FOX Sports 1 is carrying a spectacular SUPER SATURDAY HOOPS doubleheader on Saturday, Feb. 1, featuring Marquette vs. St. John’s (12:30 PM ET) and Michigan State vs. Georgetown (3:00 PM), live from legendary Madison Square Garden in New York City on the eve of Super Bowl XLVIII.

“SUPER SATURDAY HOOPS is just the first of what will be a week’s worth of tremendous sports events carried by FOX Sports 1, with most, like this one, originating in the New York/New Jersey area,” said Eric Shanks, FOX Sports Co-President & Chief Operating Officer. “We’re proud of our long-term association with the new BIG EAST, and it’s through that relationship we look forward to the conference and our new channel growing together.”

The intriguing matchup of St. John’s and Marquette has history dating back to the 1959 season. Hall of Famer Al McGuire, who played at St. John’s from 1948-51, was elected to the basketball Hall of Fame in 1992 largely for his coaching accomplishments at Marquette, where he won the 1970 NIT title and he 1977 NCAA national championship. St. John’s advanced to the second round of last season’s NIT and finished its campaign at 17-16, the school’s 83rd winning season and second of the Steve Lavin era.

"Madison Square Garden will be buzzing on Super Bowl weekend when the Johnnies play host to Marquette and Georgetown meets Michigan State," said St. John's head coach Steve Lavin. "With three Big East squads in action and Coach Tom Izzo's perennially-tough Spartans, this doubleheader at The Garden will be a great showcase for our league and a terrific experience for college basketball fans."

The Marquette University men’s basketball team, fresh off the program’s first Elite Eight appearance since 2003, begins its ninth season of competition in the BIG EAST Conference this fall. Under the direction of sixth-year head coach Buzz Williams, the Golden Eagles are in the midst of a run that has seen the team participate in eight-straight NCAA Men’s basketball Tournaments. In each of the last three campaigns, MU has advanced to at least the Sweet 16.

“We always look forward to playing in The Garden,” said Marquette Head Coach Buzz Williams. “It obviously has a tremendous amount of tradition and the environment makes it a special place to play. We are fortunate to have had some success there and I know our players are excited about being in New York City the weekend of the Super Bowl.”

Michigan State and Georgetown have met just once, on March 15, 1986 when the Spartans won 80-68 in the second round of the NCAA tournament. Michigan State returns four starters and six of its top seven scorers from last year’s Sweet 16 squad. Senior guard Keith Apling, senior forward Adreian Payne and sophomore guard Gary Harris each earned second-team All-Big Ten honors last season.

“Playing Georgetown in Madison Square Garden on Super Bowl Saturday is a great addition to our schedule,” said Michigan State head Coach Tom Izzo. “I have a lot of respect for Coach Thompson and the way he has continued to build his program on a foundation of toughness first implemented by his father, a man for whom I have an incredible amount of admiration. As a huge football fan, I’m excited to be a part of Super Bowl weekend in some small way, while also playing a game in one of the greatest basketball venues.”

Georgetown finished the 2012-13 season with a 25-7 record and earned a No. 2 seed in the NCAA Tournament. The Hoyas won a share of the BIG EAST regular-season championship and were the No. 1 seed in the tournament after posting a 14-4 record in league play. The Hoyas were ranked No. 8 in the Associated Press Top 25 poll and No. 8 in the USA Today Coaches’ poll and closed out the regular season with 12 wins in 13 games. The Hoyas are one of only four schools in the country to be ranked in the Associated Press Top 10 at least once in each of the last seven seasons.

“We’re very excited to have the opportunity to play Michigan State at Madison Square Garden,” said Georgetown Head Coach John Thompson III. “Michigan State is tremendous program and I have a great deal of respect for Coach Izzo and what they’ve accomplished there. For this game to be held in New York City during Super Bowl Weekend televised on FOX Sports 1, our partner channel, it will make it one of the highlight games of the season.”

FOX Sports 1 is slated to televise over 100 Big East men’s regular-season basketball games this season, plus the entire BIG EAST Men’s Basketball Tournament, also live from Madison Square Garden, the tournament’s home since 1983, and the longest-running conference tournament played at one venue. The BIG EAST Conference now features Butler University, Creighton University, DePaul University, Georgetown University, Marquette University, Providence College, St. John’s University, Seton Hall University, Villanova University and Xavier University beginning with the coming academic year.

« Reply #633 on: August 08, 2013, 12:58:41 PM »
It's pretty simple,  if you are a season ticket holder show up to the game, if you are not buy tickets to the game, also season ticket holders encourage friends to go to the game and get tickets before go on sale to public.  That is the easiest way to keep the majority of the fans from the other three schools out.  We have the priviledge of the presale.

« Reply #634 on: August 08, 2013, 01:49:26 PM »
It should be SJU\Duke and GTown\MSU.  I hate the ACC football programs for taking that game away. 

desco80

« Reply #635 on: August 08, 2013, 05:50:41 PM »
This is the price we pay to play at MSG.   The garden and fox both are going to look to maximize their college basketball revenue.  I can't blame them for that.   
Whether we like it or not, we share our home court with whoever else MSG can fit into the schedule.

It doesn't bother me at all.  But to our fans who are offended, what's the alternative? Leave MSG?
I think I saw today from zags that Indiana and Louisville just scheduled a game at MSG in 2014.   We're just a piece of the garden's college bball puzzle.

paultzman

« Reply #636 on: August 08, 2013, 05:56:21 PM »
This is the price we pay to play at MSG.   The garden and fox both are going to look to maximize their college basketball revenue.  I can't blame them for that.   
Whether we like it or not, we share our home court with whoever else MSG can fit into the schedule.

It doesn't bother me at all.  But to our fans who are offended, what's the alternative? Leave MSG?
I think I saw today from zags that Indiana and Louisville just scheduled a game at MSG in 2014.   We're just a piece of the garden's college bball puzzle.

Desco a wise man.

redslope

« Reply #637 on: August 08, 2013, 08:13:22 PM »
It should be SJU\Duke and GTown\MSU.  I hate the ACC football programs for taking that game away.

screw the ACC--i would have liked a Big East/Big Ten doubleheader--say Hoyas/State and SJU/Michigan

nudginator59

• It's better to be a Smart ass then a Dumb shart
« Reply #638 on: August 08, 2013, 08:23:51 PM »

Desco a wise man.

I agree, as much as it is frustrating we're not exactly a great draw for the Garden and we have not put up a great product in the last decade exempt for a few seasons here and there...it is our job to make MSG our house not MSG's...
Cougar O' Malley

« Reply #639 on: August 08, 2013, 09:18:52 PM »
Indiana vs. Louisville is part of the Jimmy V classic