Next Season

• 280 replies
Re: Next Season
« Reply #120 on: March 26, 2013, 09:36:49 AM »
I'm calling it now. Amir is first to leave

Twitter vibe?

Yup
Don't read into it too much.  He said this two days ago when asked about his plans:

amir garrett ‏@Amir_Garrett 24 Mar

@NoApologies5 appreciate it man.. It's baseball then I'm coming back like I did this past summer!

But come on.  Interpreting tweets is more fun ;)

It's gonna be a loooooong offseason.

« Reply #121 on: March 26, 2013, 09:45:21 AM »
Besides Dlo, the only guys I could see transferring are Marco, jones, and balamou. I think all of our core players stay. I also don't think anyone will transfer

Poison

« Reply #122 on: March 26, 2013, 09:48:39 AM »
Besides Dlo, the only guys I could see transferring are Marco, jones, and balamou. I think all of our core players stay. I also don't think anyone will transfer

I like Garrett, but he could simply quit basketball. Losing Sanchez and DLo, put this team in a position to struggle w the zone. Hopefully they don't go into next season w such poor offensive depth and ability.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 11:47:48 AM by Poison »

« Reply #123 on: March 26, 2013, 10:15:12 AM »
With some of his sub patterns and the walkons, like I previously posted, I believe Lavin knows the guys he likes and plays them appropriately. With everyone else I think he is throwing stuff at the wall and hoping it sticks.
If I did not believe the above, the only thing I could compare Lavin's rotations and sub patterns to is the year Larry Brown coached the Knicks. He constantly changed rotations and who was in his dog house. Of course Brown was in a power struggle/ trying to get fired. I DO NOT believe that is the case for Lavin but unfortunately the Brown/ Knick comparison is the only one that was similar that I can think of.

If I were going to predict who leaves this year I am going to go with the following:
1. Harrison 99% gone
50/50 for the following three
2. Garrett
3. GG
4. Marco

« Reply #124 on: March 26, 2013, 10:18:43 AM »
some people have a lot of time on their hands. next Foad will posit the truth behind the Kennedy assassination.

That's an easy one. In 1960 Joe Kennedy made a deal with his former organized crime associates to fix the outcome of the presidential election by buying union votes in Illinois, West Virginia, and Texas. According to the agreement the Kennedy justice department would turn a blind eye to the business of organized crime. Instead AG Bobby Kennedy inter alia began OC investigations in the AFL CIO and illegally deported Carlos Marcello the OC boss in NO. Santo Trafficante and Marcello had Kennedy whacked - CM was quoted as saying that if you cut off the head of the snake the body dies, the idea being that LBJ, who hated Bobby, would replace him with an AG with different priorities. The assassination was arranged by Johnie Roselli - who ended up in an oil drum of cement in the Gulf of Mexico - and Sam Giancano - who was shot in the head while cooking sausages just a few days before he was scheduled to testify into a senate committee investigating the assassination.

It's funny to me - funny strange - that you find it funny - funny strange - that Lavin might do things for self serving purposes. Everyone does everything for self serving purposes and put the most altruistic spin on it as possible. That's human nature. Even if you think Lavin infallible, I assume you think still think he's human.

Your point being what? That Lavin is a chowderhead and simpleton, focused only on his own future, hired the 3 stooges as asst. coaches, an old guy who is on the bench for show and is gliding by on personality only. Well you may be right, time will tel.l won't it. Others here have doubts too and more patience perhaps, but not you. Have not read from anyone about "Lavin being infallible". While MCNPA is a 30% on the anxiety meter, where would you place yourself? Anxious people love certainty.

ras

« Reply #125 on: March 26, 2013, 11:34:37 AM »
With some of his sub patterns and the walkons, like I previously posted, I believe Lavin knows the guys he likes and plays them appropriately. With everyone else I think he is throwing stuff at the wall and hoping it sticks.
If I did not believe the above, the only thing I could compare Lavin's rotations and sub patterns to is the year Larry Brown coached the Knicks. He constantly changed rotations and who was in his dog house. Of course Brown was in a power struggle/ trying to get fired. I DO NOT believe that is the case for Lavin but unfortunately the Brown/ Knick comparison is the only one that was similar that I can think of.

If I were going to predict who leaves this year I am going to go with the following:
1. Harrison 99% gone
50/50 for the following three
2. Garrett
3. GG
4. Marco
What makes you think DLO is gone?

« Reply #126 on: March 26, 2013, 11:50:08 AM »
Just my opinion, but I would be shocked if he is back. BTW I also don't think Lavin wants him back

Moose

« Reply #127 on: March 26, 2013, 11:51:33 AM »
BTW I also don't think Lavin wants him back

We will set records next year.
Granted the will be lowest scoring per game but records nonetheless.
Remember who broke the Slice news

Foad

« Reply #128 on: March 26, 2013, 11:52:10 AM »
Your point being what? That Lavin is a chowderhead and simpleton, focused only on his own future, hired the 3 stooges as asst. coaches, an old guy who is on the bench for show and is gliding by on personality only. Well you may be right, time will tel.l won't it. Others here have doubts too and more patience perhaps, but not you. Have not read from anyone about "Lavin being infallible". While MCNPA is a 30% on the anxiety meter, where would you place yourself? Anxious people love certainty.

I always thought I was a pretty good writer and yet people are continually asking me what my point is. A less confident person would perhaps  re evaluate his self assessment. I am content to soldier on.

My point is: that the same people who read Harrison's tattoos like they're hieroglyphics and psychoanalyze him every time he blinks ignore or mock the idea that Lavin - a celebrity who suffered a very public humiliation at UCLA - might have some issues of his own and that those issues might manifest themselves in the way he behaves professionally. The very idea that he might suffer from the same emotions and neuroses as every other homo sapien is dismissed as the fantasy of a conspiracy theorist.

I don't suffer any anxiety about Saint John's. None. I don't even consider myself a "fan." I've had the fan beaten out of me over 30 years. Now I just follow the basketball team. It's kind of like bird watching. I don't root for the yellow bellied sapsuckers, I just like to look at them. The benefit of that POV is that when a see a grackle I don't mistake it for a bald eagle.

If you don't think Lavin is sliding by on his personality you're not paying attention. His personality is his strength: that's why he's a good recruiter and good with the media. If he wasn't telegenic and charming in his own vapid way the commentary would be quite different. People would be talking about his suits and parsing his post game comments. Lavin and Norm were both right when they played the "we're young" card. The same comments that were roundly mocked during the last administration are now greeted with knowing nods of the head. That's the cult of personality. It's not the speaker, it's the listener.

I don't understand how patience is relevant. I'm talking about what's happening in front of my eyes, today. Perhaps you mean that you're willing to categorize this season of atrocious basketball as something other than atrocious merely because next year the results might be different. I didn't expect this team to do much and wasn't surprised when it didn't. And I expect next year to be better. But I don't see what that has to do with why the walk ons are playing or why Dom Pointer is punching people or the wisdom of calling time outs while your team is on a run or any of the other questionable things that went on this season. Those things are troubling regardless.

I haven't called for Lavin's head - and in fact think the idea of calling for his head absurd. In the first place nobody cares what I think and in the second if Lavin were to leave now it would be catastrophic (relatively speaking obviously). No one except the lunatic fringe thinks Lavin should go anywhere. No one but the lunatic fringe thinks the program is not better off than it was 5 years ago. But on the other side of the lunatic fringe there are people who think everything is swell. Everything is not swell. It may be that the not swell bits are mere bumps in the road. But it may be also that they're sink holes. My point is: can Lavin tell the difference.

Moose

« Reply #129 on: March 26, 2013, 11:54:01 AM »

I don't even consider myself a "fan."

Finally you admit it :)

« Reply #130 on: March 26, 2013, 11:56:46 AM »
Just my opinion, but I would be shocked if he is back. BTW I also don't think Lavin wants him back

Considering the team scored 55 ppg in his absence, that doesn't bode well for next year

Foad

« Reply #131 on: March 26, 2013, 12:17:55 PM »

Have I denied that in the past? I don't recall. This program is cursed. I've watched them lose in every conceivable way since I was in a pre teen. Were you around to see us blow a Final Four because Chris Mullin missed a free throw? If not don't judge. I certainly don't "root" for them to win in the conventional sense. I don't expect them to be uncursed and I don't expect it's all going to turn out all right in the end. To the contrary, I sense disaster around every corner.

I'm not a Detroit Lions "fan" either. I tried being one, it's not possible. So now I just follow the Lions. I am at least afforded the comfort of lowered expectations.

Moose

« Reply #132 on: March 26, 2013, 12:27:18 PM »

Have I denied that in the past? I don't recall. This program is cursed. I've watched them lose in every conceivable way since I was in a pre teen. Were you around to see us blow a Final Four because Chris Mullin missed a free throw? If not don't judge. I certainly don't "root" for them to win in the conventional sense. I don't expect them to be uncursed and I don't expect it's all going to turn out all right in the end. To the contrary, I sense disaster around every corner.

I'm not a Detroit Lions "fan" either. I tried being one, it's not possible. So now I just follow the Lions. I am at least afforded the comfort of lowered expectations.

I dont recall you denying it but your memory is far superior to mine.  (Great job on the post prior recalling the discussions on Norms suits)

I wasn't around to see Mullin missing free throws. 

Why do you follow a team as intently as you do, that you don't think will ever win or succeed and just expect doom around every corner?

You're a Tigers 'fan', right?

boo3

« Reply #133 on: March 26, 2013, 12:29:14 PM »
 Obekpa chris ‏@obekpa12 38m
Less worrying, more faith that things will get better. Less complaining, more hard work. Life responds to your attitude. Stay positive.

Sage advice from CO12.. 

« Reply #134 on: March 26, 2013, 12:33:47 PM »
Obekpa chris ‏@obekpa12 38m
Less worrying, more faith that things will get better. Less complaining, more hard work. Life responds to your attitude. Stay positive.

Sage advice from CO12..

Well, he's got the right attitude.

« Reply #135 on: March 26, 2013, 12:50:26 PM »
Jeezzz.  4th youngest team in D1 - Branch will improve on his driving and scoring.  All of his shots are a little short.  Practice and strength will help.  Don't be surprised if Jones plays a bigger role.  He has tons of potential and can see him getting better.  Obekpa can only get better offensively.

You'll have to get out of the redmen personality.  Doom and Gloom is all I read on here.  It is flipping depressing and same old, same old.  From everything I have read from these guys they are hungry to improve and win.  It almost sounds like some here want the team not succeed.

This is the most apathetic student fan base I have ever seen.  Most of them stand behind the basket all game with their hands crossed.  Man, I've been going to games since I was 11 and have gone to almost every game since 86 and always have been one of the few who would be yelling and cheering all game.  Someone better get the gravelly voice and step up!!!!

Foad

« Reply #136 on: March 26, 2013, 12:51:32 PM »
Why do you follow a team as intently as you do, that you don't think will ever win or succeed and just expect doom around every corner?

That's a strange question - why does anyone do anything? Like most people I'm trying to find something to distract me from the meaningless void between birth and death. You play the horses, yes? How many tickets have you torn up in your lifetime? I assume quite a few and that despite that you take some joy from watching them run around the track. I do too. I'm just not too surprised when a cannon bone shatters.

If I could go back in time and do it over I'd root for Duke and the Yankees and the Steelers. I'd be a fan. Instead I ended up with Saint John's and the Lions and some pig in a 10K claimer at Aqueduct in February. Those things I follow. Oh well. Poor planning on my part I guess.

Moose

« Reply #137 on: March 26, 2013, 12:58:02 PM »

That's a strange question - why does anyone do anything? Like most people I'm trying to find something to distract me from the meaningless void between birth and death. You play the horses, yes? How many tickets have you torn up in your lifetime? I assume quite a few and that despite that you take some joy from watching them run around the track. I do too. I'm just not too surprised when a cannon bone shatters.

If I could go back in time and do it over I'd root for Duke and the Yankees and the Steelers. I'd be a fan. Instead I ended up with Saint John's and the Lions and some pig in a 10K claimer at Aqueduct in February. Those things I follow. Oh well. Poor planning on my part I guess.

I don't play the horses that much.  But I win occasionally.  Just as STJ wins occasionally.  I don't think its crazy especially in light of recent years with teams like Mason, Butler, VCU cracking thru and making Final Fours that STJ can't.

Your Tigers have had plenty of ups and downs.  Lots of years between 'ships.  Yet you were still a fan all those years, no?

You are a lot older than I.  And I know myself over time I have lost interest in a lot of the things I enjoyed so much when I was younger.  If you have rooted longer I could see your love of something dissipating over time.  With STJ more so than mine, to date.

Foad

« Reply #138 on: March 26, 2013, 01:40:14 PM »
I don't play the horses that much.  But I win occasionally.  Just as STJ wins occasionally.  I don't think its crazy especially in light of recent years with teams like Mason, Butler, VCU cracking thru and making Final Fours that STJ can't.

Your Tigers have had plenty of ups and downs.  Lots of years between 'ships.  Yet you were still a fan all those years, no?

You are a lot older than I.  And I know myself over time I have lost interest in a lot of the things I enjoyed so much when I was younger.  If you have rooted longer I could see your love of something dissipating over time.  With STJ more so than mine, to date.

I don't think SJ can't win, I just don't expect it.

I watched all of the first four innings of game 1 of the WS last year, so I'm not much of a Tiger "fan" any more probably. 

My relationship with SJ began at a very early age and is the oldest thing in my life other than my family. I'm not a "fan" of them either but I still follow their zany antics.

« Reply #139 on: March 26, 2013, 03:31:14 PM »

I always thought I was a pretty good writer and yet people are continually asking me what my point is. A less confident person would perhaps  re evaluate his self assessment. I am content to soldier on.

My point is: that the same people who read Harrison's tattoos like they're hieroglyphics and psychoanalyze him every time he blinks ignore or mock the idea that Lavin - a celebrity who suffered a very public humiliation at UCLA - might have some issues of his own and that those issues might manifest themselves in the way he behaves professionally. The very idea that he might suffer from the same emotions and neuroses as every other homo sapien is dismissed as the fantasy of a conspiracy theorist.

I don't suffer any anxiety about Saint John's. None. I don't even consider myself a "fan." I've had the fan beaten out of me over 30 years. Now I just follow the basketball team. It's kind of like bird watching. I don't root for the yellow bellied sapsuckers, I just like to look at them. The benefit of that POV is that when a see a grackle I don't mistake it for a bald eagle.

If you don't think Lavin is sliding by on his personality you're not paying attention. His personality is his strength: that's why he's a good recruiter and good with the media. If he wasn't telegenic and charming in his own vapid way the commentary would be quite different. People would be talking about his suits and parsing his post game comments. Lavin and Norm were both right when they played the "we're young" card. The same comments that were roundly mocked during the last administration are now greeted with knowing nods of the head. That's the cult of personality. It's not the speaker, it's the listener.

I don't understand how patience is relevant. I'm talking about what's happening in front of my eyes, today. Perhaps you mean that you're willing to categorize this season of atrocious basketball as something other than atrocious merely because next year the results might be different. I didn't expect this team to do much and wasn't surprised when it didn't. And I expect next year to be better. But I don't see what that has to do with why the walk ons are playing or why Dom Pointer is punching people or the wisdom of calling time outs while your team is on a run or any of the other questionable things that went on this season. Those things are troubling regardless.

I haven't called for Lavin's head - and in fact think the idea of calling for his head absurd. In the first place nobody cares what I think and in the second if Lavin were to leave now it would be catastrophic (relatively speaking obviously). No one except the lunatic fringe thinks Lavin should go anywhere. No one but the lunatic fringe thinks the program is not better off than it was 5 years ago. But on the other side of the lunatic fringe there are people who think everything is swell. Everything is not swell. It may be that the not swell bits are mere bumps in the road. But it may be also that they're sink holes. My point is: can Lavin tell the difference.

Good post. +1. I think I'm at the point where this team has earned 1 more year of hardcore following from me. I have followed the program since about 2005 but admittedly much more closely since 2011 when Lavin came and I decided to go to grad school at SJ. Really nothing but failure except 2011 out of nowhere but even that year can be considered a disappointment as some analysts said we should have made a deep run maybe even elite 8. This team has been ranked a whopping 1 time in the 8 years or so I've followed. In the same period, 1 tourney berth. If we don't get it together next year, the team has lost me as a hardcore fan...I may follow as you say akin to "birdwatching", but I will certainly not attend games, buy merchandise, or live and die with this team anymore.

A lot of people will contest this post, but IMO there is a point where rooting for a team with such little success becomes counterproductive and season after season of high expectations only to end in disaster gets old. I'm the type of guy that is a lifer if the product on the court is good. I am extremely loyal, but when my team fails on me so many times it withers away any remaining hope like an eroding beach. Some of you say "it's just a game...just watch for fun"...well it's more of a lifestyle to some people. Like football in Texas...it's more than a game and pride/reputation is important.

I still think the jury is out on Lavin. At this point (and I am no expert) he seems like a very likable guy with slick looks and a knack for recruiting and not much more. If we don't make the tourney next year assuming no major legitimate excuses i.e. major injury to key players, key departures, etc., Lavin will absolutely be on the hot seat with plenty of articles written about it. I used to think (wrongly) that the coach's role was overrated and it was all about the talent of the players. Then I noticed the Marist women's basketball team did nothing but dominate and go to the NCAA tourney every single year no matter who left or joined the team without interruption. Look at the New England Patriots...Belichek can literally take no name players and make them into stars because he knows their roles they fit best. Lavin may not be the answer...I hope he is, but another year or 2 of no tourney spells doom for him.