Next Season

• 280 replies
Re: Next Season
« Reply #240 on: April 12, 2013, 11:08:50 AM »
On paper, with DLO and Rysheed as our starting backcourt, Dom, Jakarr, and Orlando filling out the starting lineup. With Greene, Obepka and Branch off the bench or starters some games. With Hooper, Felix, CJ, Marco, Gift, and Lipscomb getting some minutes. I don't know who gets red shirted but this is a top 25 roster, that will compete for the conference championship. I thought we would for sure be pre season top 25 but I retract that statement based on all these rankings I am seeing. Jay Bilas recently released one that had Indiana number 10 next year, after Oladipo and Zeller announced they are turning pro. Boggles the mind, I really don't care that we aren't ranked. We haven't earned anything but we sure will this upcoming season. I bet you Vegas gives us more respect than any ESPN analyst.

« Reply #241 on: April 12, 2013, 12:16:02 PM »
On paper, with DLO and Rysheed as our starting backcourt, Dom, Jakarr, and Orlando filling out the starting lineup. With Greene, Obepka and Branch off the bench or starters some games. With Hooper, Felix, CJ, Marco, Gift, and Lipscomb getting some minutes. I don't know who gets red shirted but this is a top 25 roster, that will compete for the conference championship. I thought we would for sure be pre season top 25 but I retract that statement based on all these rankings I am seeing. Jay Bilas recently released one that had Indiana number 10 next year, after Oladipo and Zeller announced they are turning pro. Boggles the mind, I really don't care that we aren't ranked. We haven't earned anything but we sure will this upcoming season. I bet you Vegas gives us more respect than any ESPN analyst.

Vegas has St Johns at the 36th most likely team to win the 2014 NCAAs.  See the following link for the list:

http://www.latestbettingodds.com/2014-ncaa-tournament-future-odds-to-win-april-9/

Marillac

« Reply #242 on: April 12, 2013, 12:47:46 PM »
I am really excited to see a nascar lineup of Jordan, Branch, Harrison, Dom, Sampson! 

« Reply #243 on: April 12, 2013, 12:52:03 PM »
NASCAR goes in a circle so I think Greene would fit in well there. He should def be in the NASCAR lineup

« Reply #244 on: April 12, 2013, 01:08:32 PM »
I am really excited to see a nascar lineup of Jordan, Branch, Harrison, Dom, Sampson! 

Run baby run. Think it might be more effective substituting Sanchez for pointer. Gotta rebound to be able to run.  Not saying Dom is a bad rebounder but I'm sure he's not as good as Sanchez in that department.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

Tha Kid

« Reply #245 on: April 12, 2013, 01:26:54 PM »
NASCAR goes in a circle so I think Greene would fit in well there. He should def be in the NASCAR lineup

We've been clamoring for a guard who can run circles around the other team...Phil does that for us...literally!
"I drink and I know things"

crgreen

« Reply #246 on: April 12, 2013, 01:46:44 PM »

Run baby run. Think it might be more effective substituting Sanchez for pointer. Gotta rebound to be able to run.  Not saying Dom is a bad rebounder but I'm sure he's not as good as Sanchez in that department.

Also gotta be able to defend to make running worthwhile - gotta have room for Sir Dom.   Personally, I think finally playing with a true PG  and depth in the frontcourt, Sir Dom is going to have a monster Junior season.

« Reply #247 on: April 12, 2013, 01:49:41 PM »
I love that every off-season Sir'Dom is written off and he comes back better.  4 year star with a nice NBA career.

« Reply #248 on: April 12, 2013, 01:53:30 PM »
Under normal circumstance Dom SHOULD start. If Harrison comes back though Lavin will go with three guards and Dom will come off the bench.

« Reply #249 on: April 12, 2013, 01:54:54 PM »

Also gotta be able to defend to make running worthwhile - gotta have room for Sir Dom.   Personally, I think finally playing with a true PG  and depth in the frontcourt, Sir Dom is going to have a monster Junior season.

Dom is a good defender, but his defensive advantage over Sampson or Sanchez dwindles if he's playing the '4'.

And simplyred I hope you don't think I'm writing Dom off by that previous post. Not at all.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

Marillac

« Reply #250 on: April 12, 2013, 03:00:50 PM »

I was thinking more of a relentless press that fell back into a zone there.  Dom is our best defender and covers more of the floor than I would imagine Sanchez could ever dream of.  Dom boards well--probably not near as well as Sanchez--but he causes more deflections and turnovers than anyone on the roster. That ignites a break faster than anything else. 

Sanchez would be a good player in that lineup as well because he can board and has skill to push off the bounce and/or pass.   

desco80

« Reply #251 on: April 12, 2013, 03:35:19 PM »
Jay Bilas recently released one that had Indiana number 10 next year, after Oladipo and Zeller announced they are turning pro. Boggles the mind, I really don't care that we aren't ranked. We haven't earned anything but we sure will this upcoming season. I bet you Vegas gives us more respect than any ESPN analyst.

It shouldn't boggle your mind.  Indiana has Sheehey and talented freshmen like Yogi Ferrell and Hollowell returning, and another group of 4 top 100 prospects coming on board.   Our fans make this mistake every year, we expected to be better than Georgetown.   We thought we'd be better than Syracuse who lost Waiters, Melo, Kris Joseph, Scoop Jardine.   We didn't expect much from a Marquette team that lost Jae Crowder and Darius Johnson Odom.   
How did those teams do this year?   Kansas lost Thomas Robinson and Tyshawn Taylor, Ohio State lost Sullinger and Buford; it didn't set them back as much as our fans expected.
When you have sustained success for a few years, and you only lose a couple pieces (unlike Kentucky) it's easy for these programs to fill in underclassmen who are ready to step up, and then continue playing at a very high level. (ex, see: Carter-Williams, Michael).   

We have a chance to be good next year, but it's based on a lot of speculation, not a proven track record. 

Marillac

« Reply #252 on: April 12, 2013, 03:56:57 PM »
I still can't believe Syracuse did what they did after losing that talent.  I knew MCW would be good, but that is ridiculous.  Second year in a row that they had a soph go insane after being a good frosh (Waiters). 

Boehiem himself said that he had two dozen other teams that deserved to be in the final four over this one. 

paultzman

« Reply #253 on: April 12, 2013, 04:03:32 PM »
Just to remind folks, Marquette has just about everyone back, with possible exception of Blue. They added two top 50 kids & two time Juco AA.

Nova and GT each return a solid nucleus, even with Porter probably leaving. Providence will be solid and new teams will present challenges for sure. We obviously have the ingredients for success, provided Harrison returns IMO. That said, there is work to be done and every game will be a challenge. Let's not get intoxicated about getting Sheed. It is one large piece of the puzzle, but player skill improvement, physical maturation and playing smarter will determine the degree of our success. Hopefully the coaching staff has learned a few lessons as well. Am looking forward to a solid season.

DFF6

« Reply #254 on: April 12, 2013, 04:04:59 PM »
Just to remind folks, Marquette has just about everyone back, with possible exception of Blue. They added two top 50 kids & two time Juco AA.

Nova and GT each return a solid nucleus, even with Porter probably leaving. Providence will be solid and new teams will present challenges for sure. We obviously have the ingredients for success, provided Harrison returns IMO. That said, there is work to be done and every game will be a challenge. Let's not get intoxicated about getting Sheed. It is one large piece of the puzzle, but player skill improvement, physical maturation and playing smarter will determine the degree of our success. Hopefully the coaching staff has learned a few lessons as well. Am looking forward to a solid season.

Well said.  Won't control outlandish expectations, but well said nevertheless.

desco80

« Reply #255 on: April 12, 2013, 04:12:30 PM »

+1
That's what I was trying to point out, Paultz is just more eloquent.  ;D

redslope

« Reply #256 on: April 12, 2013, 04:42:55 PM »

Harrison wouldn't fit in as they only make left turns and don't go to the right in NASCAR

Moose

« Reply #257 on: April 12, 2013, 05:10:33 PM »

Lose their PG
Remember who broke the Slice news

paultzman

« Reply #258 on: April 12, 2013, 05:40:39 PM »

Lose their PG

You are correct. Duane Wilson is a four star recruit they are counting on. We'll see to what extent he can fill that role.

http://midwestballers.com/?p=1418
« Last Edit: April 12, 2013, 05:41:04 PM by paultzman »

« Reply #259 on: April 12, 2013, 05:43:21 PM »
Jay Bilas recently released one that had Indiana number 10 next year, after Oladipo and Zeller announced they are turning pro. Boggles the mind, I really don't care that we aren't ranked. We haven't earned anything but we sure will this upcoming season. I bet you Vegas gives us more respect than any ESPN analyst.

It shouldn't boggle your mind.  Indiana has Sheehey and talented freshmen like Yogi Ferrell and Hollowell returning, and another group of 4 top 100 prospects coming on board.   Our fans make this mistake every year, we expected to be better than Georgetown.   We thought we'd be better than Syracuse who lost Waiters, Melo, Kris Joseph, Scoop Jardine.   We didn't expect much from a Marquette team that lost Jae Crowder and Darius Johnson Odom.   
How did those teams do this year?   Kansas lost Thomas Robinson and Tyshawn Taylor, Ohio State lost Sullinger and Buford; it didn't set them back as much as our fans expected.
When you have sustained success for a few years, and you only lose a couple pieces (unlike Kentucky) it's easy for these programs to fill in underclassmen who are ready to step up, and then continue playing at a very high level. (ex, see: Carter-Williams, Michael).   

We have a chance to be good next year, but it's based on a lot of speculation, not a proven track record.
That is because as a wise man once said IT'S NOT WHO YOU LOSE IT IS WHO YOU HAVE COMING BACK AND WHO YOU HAVE COMING IN! Paultzman bringing the WOOD with his post!  :)