Amir is leaving st. john's

• 271 replies
Re: Amir is leaving st. john;s
« Reply #80 on: April 03, 2013, 08:26:43 AM »
Well, of the Fresh 5, one of them went to the NBA and the other may be returning next season. Only 1 transfer from that group and, let's be honest, he really could not handle big east ball. Good tenacity as a rebounder only means so much when you don't really bring too much to the plate, especially in the league we're in (going to be in).

paultzman

« Reply #81 on: April 03, 2013, 08:33:05 AM »
To me "sustained success",as SL often references, implies establishing a core group not too vulnerable to sudden change. Imo, it reflects a team that reloads, not rebuilds every year or two. I am not implying we should be top 20 every year, but be competitive with a chance to rise to that level. Next year should be fun, but should also give us a sense where the program is. Can we achieve Coach's desire to have a competitive, sustainable program? 2014 and 2015 recruiting, transfers will tell the story. Hopefully next season is a springboard to such success.

Moose

« Reply #82 on: April 03, 2013, 08:35:30 AM »
There should be no outrage or panic here. We all loved Amir's dedication last fall after the Rise nonsense and appreciated his hustle on the court. But he was certifiably bad at key moments in important games this year. To me, it was obvious that there was not a big role for him going forward. I wish him well, as he seems to be a nice kid and was a great representative of the university during his tenure.

The only panic if you wish to call it that is I am not a fan of the revolving door.  Remember everyone talked about having grizzled 4 yr players from that initial class.  Poison made the point that right now Dom and Phil are 'technically the only ones' who will see 4 yrs.  Dee 'could' if he get back to the good graces.

I wouldn't call it a revolving door.  Nowadays, transfers are commonplace and always happening.

Amir probably thought he could get more minutes elsewhere and Lavin has depth at the forward position next season.

You wouldn't?
Remember who broke the Slice news

Poison

« Reply #83 on: April 03, 2013, 08:37:53 AM »
Well, of the Fresh 5, one of them went to the NBA and the other may be returning next season. Only 1 transfer from that group and, let's be honest, he really could not handle big east ball. Good tenacity as a rebounder only means so much when you don't really bring too much to the plate, especially in the league we're in (going to be in).

You mean the league w out SU, UL & Pitt? That league?

kjd01067

« Reply #84 on: April 03, 2013, 08:39:37 AM »
Didn't really expect this one.  Good luck Amir and I hope Lavin has an upgrade on the horizon

« Reply #85 on: April 03, 2013, 08:41:48 AM »
Yep, Poison, even that league haha

paultzman

« Reply #86 on: April 03, 2013, 08:45:22 AM »
I felt it was possible Amir would leave due to diminishing role, further lack of progress in face of no off season training and Euro trip. I was more certain Jones would leave and still think so.

« Reply #87 on: April 03, 2013, 08:47:47 AM »
Good luck to Amir!

The one ongoing amazing thing is how everyone complained when we had 6 people that we needed deph. Then we had a full roster but Lavin basically only played 6 anyway. Then people start leaving and some of you are waving it away like no big deal.
Basically you are trading Harrison and Garrett for Sanchez and Gift. Is that a good trade?

Moose

« Reply #88 on: April 03, 2013, 08:47:47 AM »
I felt it was possible Amir would leave due to diminishing role, further lack of progress in face of no off season training and Euro trip. I was more certain Jones would leave and still think so.

Why would he leave now when someone ahead of him just jumped ship?

Foad

« Reply #89 on: April 03, 2013, 08:51:55 AM »
In the past I agreed with those posters who said when Amir signed that he was a high major player with enormous potential and an important piece of the puzzle.

Last year I agreed with those posters who waited with bated breath last December for Amir to qualify and who "couldn't wait to see him in red and white," who "always want kids like [Amir] as part of our program and school" and who said "Just flat out love this kid's attitude" because of the hard work he had done to qualify.

Now I agree with those posters who think that Garrett was garbage now that he's leaving and that he is not a BE player. Hopefully this frees up playing time for Jones and Balamou and other players who got no playing time this year - obviously Lavin felt compelled to play Garrett instead of them out of loyalty. Anyone who doubts about Lavin's character should note that his loyalty extends to telling Garrett up front that it was in his best interest to get out, whereas a less honest coach would have kept Garrett on the bench as insurance if Balamou or heaven forbid David Lipscomb went down. Plus this frees up a schollie. So this is a win win win win win win situation.

I also agree with the poster who said that anyone who questions this or anything else that happens under Lavin is pining for Norm Roberts and wants him back as coach. That is a very compelling argument and that poster is very smrat. I agree with him that other than saying how cool Lavin is and what nice hair he has all you Negative Nellies should just shut up.

paultzman

« Reply #90 on: April 03, 2013, 08:53:42 AM »

home sick

bk8664

« Reply #91 on: April 03, 2013, 08:54:42 AM »

I don't think Jones leaves.  Coming out of high school, I doubt he was in a position to demand massive playing time at a Big East school or other similar program.  He probably got the minutes he expected - especially early in the season he was given more than one shot early to be productive on the court during games.  During those chances, he didn't produce enough so his role diminished.  I don't think that would be a shock to him.  I expect him to embrace his role as someone still learning, and get better.  He should be able to see that if he puts the work in, he'll get plenty of playing time after next season. We will have lots of minutes available.  There is nothing wrong with going the traditional four year route.

Moose

« Reply #92 on: April 03, 2013, 09:01:21 AM »

home sick

Well that would be great.  Thin front court gets even thinner.  Pickings be slim now and everything I've heard is staff is only focused on Rysheed for 13 and are otherwise looking at 14 and 15

paultzman

« Reply #93 on: April 03, 2013, 09:05:45 AM »

home sick

Well that would be great.  Thin front court gets even thinner.  Pickings be slim now and everything I've heard is staff is only focused on Rysheed for 13 and are otherwise looking at 14 and 15

Heard this a week ago, but maybe your point about PT now prevails. We'll see.

Moose

« Reply #94 on: April 03, 2013, 09:08:40 AM »

home sick

I heard Amir last night Amir decision was locked for a bit actually.  So who the heck knows as you said.  I might have to dig up the revolving door image from the Iona thread and give it double exposure.

« Reply #95 on: April 03, 2013, 09:21:10 AM »

home sick

I heard Amir last night Amir decision was locked for a bit actually.  So who the heck knows as you said.  I might have to dig up the revolving door image from the Iona thread and give it double exposure.

Doesn't every thread turn into an I-Own-Ah discussion?
« Last Edit: April 03, 2013, 09:26:12 AM by MaineQB »

paultzman

« Reply #96 on: April 03, 2013, 09:23:11 AM »

home sick

Doesn't every thread turn into and I-Own-Ah discussion?

Knew it, Moose is really Baldi. A "Mod Mole"

Moose

« Reply #97 on: April 03, 2013, 09:23:26 AM »

home sick

Doesn't every thread turn into and I-Own-Ah discussion?

Par for the course.

« Reply #98 on: April 03, 2013, 09:47:59 AM »
I think that Amir could have been a nice player by his senior year.  But he regressed between his freshman and sophomore year -- there is no disputing that.  I love the kid's hustle, but as freshman he was more skilled than Dom.  This year it is not even close.  I think that playing both sports has thwarted his development -- although it is certainly not a bad problem to have, because the kid has made a lot of money due to his raw ability on the mound. 

Would I have liked Amir to stay so we have some more upperclassmen after next year when Sanchez/Gift graduate, Jakar possibly leaves, etc.  Of course.  But I think everyone on this board agrees that Amir was probably not going to get a lot of minutes next year, given the position he plays.  I'm going to miss Amir, but I don't think it is a huge loss and perhaps can give us some more scholarship flexibility.

Everyone here predicted that there was going to be a transfer or two this year.

TONYD3

« Reply #99 on: April 03, 2013, 09:52:40 AM »
Kind of sucks.