Amir is leaving st. john's

• 271 replies

SJUFAN

Re: Amir is leaving st. john's
« Reply #180 on: April 04, 2013, 01:57:40 PM »
I'm with tony. Sampson I think has great potetial to be a number two guy but he doesn't create we'll enough for himself or others to be a number one option on a really good team. Unless that team is full of a bunch of 10-14 ppg scorers similar to a Marquette team.

. . . as a freshman.

This thread borders between ludicrous and depraved.  Thanks for the laughs.

Nothing wrong with being a great number two guy. Just my opinion, nothin more.

Nothing is wrong with being a number two guy, but he has the potential to be a number one if he improves in the areas you mentioned. This is only his freshman year, look at the numbers Russ Smith put up his FR, and SO years. There is still alot of growth in his game to come. I just hope he gets rid of that hitch in his shot. 

« Reply #181 on: April 04, 2013, 02:02:53 PM »
I'm with tony. Sampson I think has great potetial to be a number two guy but he doesn't create we'll enough for himself or others to be a number one option on a really good team. Unless that team is full of a bunch of 10-14 ppg scorers similar to a Marquette team.

. . . as a freshman.

This thread borders between ludicrous and depraved.  Thanks for the laughs.

Nothing wrong with being a great number two guy. Just my opinion, nothin more.

In the college game its ruled by guards so its easy to say 18 and 9 looks like a number two only because he can't control the game like a guard.  Doesn't mean he's not going to be the most important player on his team if he progresses.  He certainly has Moe like potential.  Was he a #2?

Personally I don't think JaKarr and moe have very similar games. They have the same body type and play the same position but I don't see much more of a comparison. And last year I thought that moe was the #2 option but believed that he could be a #1, he put it on the floor better and was a smarter player.

I agree with you that the college game is controlled by guards, and if our best player returns next season he will be a guard and our #1 option.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #182 on: April 04, 2013, 02:03:06 PM »
Norm's team vs Lavin's team. I like it!

Norm's lineup:
C Lamont Hamilton
F Kennedy
F Mase
G Hill
G Geno
Norm did not play Hardy or Brownlee enough so they do not count

Lavin
F Harkless
F Sampson
F Kennedy
G Hardy
G Greene

Lavin team wins 78-58. Hardy would have the ball so Greene would just run around in a circle instead of dribbling in a circle. Mase would get hurt trying to chase Greene around the circle forcing Norm to sub in Phil Missere instead of Brownlee. Geno shoots 3-13 with 4 TO's. Hardy scores 30.
Norm's Kennedy outplays Lavin's Kennedy. Thrill gets hurt and Norm plays Paris Horne over Hardy despite the fact that Lavin's Hardy is killing him. Lamont Hamilton scores 20 with 8 boards yet people on Redmen boards still complain about him. Larry Wright comes off Norm's bench and hits two 3's in 2 minutes of PT. Greene shoots 0-6 as does Avery patterson off Norm's bench making Carmine's two favorite players a combined 0-12. Lavin's Sean Evans fights Norm's Sean Evans and they both miss the technical foul shots. Harkless grabs 15 rebounds to go with 14 points.
After the game Norm gives Lavin credit for winning with his players and then he and Lavin fight over whose team is younger.

Hey WASJU, did Lamont Hamilton EVER score 20 or grab 8 boards in a game?

« Reply #183 on: April 04, 2013, 02:10:08 PM »
Hamilton was Norm's best player and underated

« Reply #184 on: April 04, 2013, 02:12:55 PM »
All I can remember is how many bunnies he would miss as I kept screaming at my tv "Why don't you just dunk it.  You're 6'10" for God's sake!

« Reply #185 on: April 04, 2013, 02:22:25 PM »

Jarvis recruit.
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

« Reply #186 on: April 04, 2013, 02:25:49 PM »
Yup, Hamilton, Hill and Jones were only guys not to go to strip club I believe.

Moose

« Reply #187 on: April 04, 2013, 02:37:27 PM »

It's all a blur.  But Hamilton was suspended but not expelled.  He was part of it but a minor part or something.

Hill and Cuffe weren't involved at all.
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #188 on: April 04, 2013, 03:05:06 PM »
I had the opportunity to sit next to Amir's Dad (Darrow) when SJU played Rutgers at the RAC last year.  He is an absolute gentlemen, soft spoken and beyond polite.  We spoke throughout the game and he mentioned that baseball was Amir's  "business and basketball was for fun."  Personally, I hope Amir carries himself like his Dad all the way to the majors.

Poison

« Reply #189 on: April 04, 2013, 04:25:05 PM »

He was not underrated. He made first team All Big East on a team that absolutely stunk.

paultzman

« Reply #190 on: April 04, 2013, 05:31:07 PM »
“@Amir_Garrett: Sheesh I forgot how hot it was in AZ”

« Reply #191 on: April 04, 2013, 07:37:26 PM »
So he's leaving for another program?  Yikes Lavin cannot keep players at all.

Just a quick look:
Polee - gone
Harkless - one and done
Lindsey - gone
Harrison - who knows?
Pelle - never showed
Sanchez - one and done
GG - red shirt, now one and done
Garrett - gone
Sampson - one and done now?
Obekpa - one and done now?
WHAT's LEFT?
Pointer - thank God
Greene - limited value
Branch - limited value
Marco - very limited value Leaving soon
Jones - might have upside
Balamou - might have upside
Hooper - who knows?
Pretty bleak really compared to Norm's DJ, Horne, Brownlee, Evans, Burrell. the Maliks
and Q. Roberts.
Yes, pretty bleak...you have no clue

« Reply #192 on: April 04, 2013, 07:42:16 PM »
Post's like that one -- with agenda's and without any grasp of objectivity or reality -- is going to make this board unreadable a la what certain folks have made redmen.com the last few months
Sometimes facts suck.  Show me where I abused objectivity and/or reality.  And, oh yeah sometimes reality sucks too.  You need a stomach to follow SJU.  Get some Rolaids and hang in there.

Fact based or the opinion of someone with a consistent agenda and little knowledge?

gman

« Reply #193 on: April 04, 2013, 07:51:51 PM »

Norm's lineup:
C Lamont Hamilton
F Kennedy
F Mase
G Hill
G Geno

Lavin
F Harkless
F Sampson
F Kennedy
G Hardy
G Greene

Lavin team wins 78-58. Hardy would have the ball so Greene would just run around in a circle instead of dribbling in a circle. Mase would get hurt trying to chase Greene around the circle forcing Norm to sub in Phil Missere instead of Brownlee. Geno shoots 3-13 with 4 TO's. Hardy scores 30.
Norm's Kennedy outplays Lavin's Kennedy. Thrill gets hurt and Norm plays Paris Horne over Hardy despite the fact that Lavin's Hardy is killing him. Lamont Hamilton scores 20 with 8 boards yet people on Redmen boards still complain about him. Larry Wright comes off Norm's bench and hits two 3's in 2 minutes of PT. Greene shoots 0-6 as does Avery patterson off Norm's bench making Carmine's two favorite players a combined 0-12. Lavin's Sean Evans fights Norm's Sean Evans and they both miss the technical foul shots. Harkless grabs 15 rebounds to go with 14 points.
After the game Norm gives Lavin credit for winning with his players and then he and Lavin fight over whose team is younger.

Were those all norm recruits?

Marillac

« Reply #194 on: April 04, 2013, 07:57:15 PM »

Norm's lineup:
C Lamont Hamilton
F Kennedy
F Mase
G Hill
G Geno

Lavin
F Harkless
F Sampson
F Kennedy
G Hardy
G Greene

Were those all norm recruits?

Hamilton and Hill were Jarvis guys.  This is totally forgetten by the Norm apologists that think Norm only inherited walkons.  He got two future All-Big East players as SOPHOMORES.  He then got a top 100 kid in Mason because he went to high school with his father and Mason wanted back in MSG.  That's not a bad start.

LJSA

« Reply #195 on: April 04, 2013, 08:08:57 PM »

It's all a blur.  But Hamilton was suspended but not expelled.  He was part of it but a minor part or something.

Correct, Cuffe was quoted at the time as saying he didn't like to go out after losses. He was definitely in his room, and I think reading.

Marillac

« Reply #196 on: April 04, 2013, 08:22:15 PM »

Correct, Cuffe was quoted at the time as saying he didn't like to go out after losses. He was definitely in his room, and I think reading.

Cuffe got a lot of respect from fans after that.  He was considered a big time bust and ragged on before that happened.  He was never the player we all hoped, but he won a lot of people over.

« Reply #197 on: April 04, 2013, 08:23:15 PM »
Hamilton did get in trouble for being in the room as a spectator but not participating in the train ride.  He and Mo Diakite were suspended for the balance of the year, while Reynolds, Keita and Ingram were kicked off the team for said train ride.

Moose

« Reply #198 on: April 04, 2013, 08:24:11 PM »

Cuffe got a lot of respect from fans after that.  He was considered a big time bust and ragged on before that happened.  He was never the player we all hoped, but he won a lot of people over.

I think Kyle could have been a lot better than he was.  I liked him but he wasn't coached up at all.  All said he finished averaging 8 pts 5 boards a game at STJ but his career was up and down.
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #199 on: April 05, 2013, 03:58:41 AM »
Again, Amir announcement by SJU? Waiting for other info? Strange, unless I missed it.

No news yet on the official page.