Summer Europe Trip

• 223 replies

paultzman

Re: Summer Europe Trip
« Reply #40 on: August 04, 2013, 03:35:46 PM »
I am not going to worry about ESPN and their actions. It is a new era of opportunity for us. In simplest terms, let's have an impressive season, recruit well for 14 & 15 folks (imperative) and play an exciting brand of ball attractive to recruits, transfers, fans and media.

« Reply #41 on: August 04, 2013, 11:27:01 PM »
I read the Andy Katz article last night, got irritated and emailed Andy Katz. I said i just read your article and wasn't surprised that you left St. John's out of the article. Five minutes later he emailed me back and said the article wasn't supposed to list all the schools  playing in Europe this year. I thought his response was weak at best.
The Big East needs a strong SJU program!

nudginator59

• It's better to be a Smart ass then a Dumb shart
« Reply #42 on: August 05, 2013, 12:02:58 AM »
Wow they mentioned cuse going to Cananda Syracuse is practically I Canada...If we're going by NYC standards as anything past Yonkers is "upstate" Syracuse is located in Nova Scotia.

Ultimately the ball is in SJU's hands and they can only make themselves revelant.
Cougar O' Malley

paultzman

« Reply #43 on: August 05, 2013, 07:41:01 AM »
3-point shot: St. John's getting competitive
August, 5, 2013

1. St. John's coach Steve Lavin is looking forward to the instructive piece of the Red Storm trip to Italy (Aug. 19-Sept 1). He is viewing this trip as a summer report card on the Red Storm. Orlando Sanchez, Max Hooper and God'sgift Achiuwa need competitive games in Europe, according to Lavin, to shake off some of the "rust as a result of sitting out this past season.'' Lavin said highly-touted freshman point guard Rysheed Jordan will get his "baptism as a college athlete in Europe while playing in competitive games and gaining a better sense for his new teammates." Lavin added this trip comes at the ideal time to get new assistant Jimmy Whitesell acclimated with the St. John's team. The Red Storm are in that middle group in the new Big East with Xavier, Butler, Villanova and Providence, with any one of them capable of jumping up and challenging frontrunners Marquette, Creighton and Georgetown.

“@eamonnbrennan: 3-point shot: St. John's getting competitive http://es.pn/16WzaKJ

gman

« Reply #44 on: August 05, 2013, 07:51:04 AM »
Was Whitesell officially announced?

paultzman

« Reply #45 on: August 05, 2013, 08:06:25 AM »

Just thinking same. Must be coming out today unless I missed it.

MCNPA

« Reply #46 on: August 05, 2013, 09:33:15 AM »
Interestingly enough, after reading about Whitesell quite a bit, he seems to specialize in "set offense" aka half-court game.  Has multiple videos out on successful set offense etc.  We certainly need help in that department, so it seems like an especially good fit for us.  Great to get him on board now and working on our sets for the European tour.  It should bode well for when the season starts.

MCNPA

« Reply #47 on: August 05, 2013, 09:34:05 AM »

Just thinking same. Must be coming out today unless I missed it.

Zags just tweeted that it would be announced today or tomorrow.

paultzman

« Reply #48 on: August 05, 2013, 04:37:40 PM »
"Fratto World"

“@StJohnsBBall: One official practice in the books before the #SJUBB Euro Tour! The fellas are looking good. More on the tour and the team this week! #stjbb”

« Reply #49 on: August 05, 2013, 04:52:47 PM »
"Fratto World"

“@StJohnsBBall: One official practice in the books before the #SJUBB Euro Tour! The fellas are looking good. More on the tour and the team this week! #stjbb”

I'm not sure if you know the details paultz but I'm curious about the practices. I've seen it said that the team gets ten practices for the trip, so does that mean they get ten practices leading up to it and then more practice during the trip? Or just ten all together? 

If anyone knows that would be great. Thanks!
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

paultzman

« Reply #50 on: August 05, 2013, 05:10:08 PM »
"Fratto World"

I'm not sure if you know the details paultz but I'm curious about the practices. I've seen it said that the team gets ten practices for the trip, so does that mean they get ten practices leading up to it and then more practice during the trip? Or just ten all together? 

I just know about ten practices before trip. I would assume they could also work out during trip, but they will be traveling and touring Paris, Rome and Barcelona. It would seem,with all that, any permissible practice time would be limited a bit. I defer to other posters with exact knowledge of practice rules.

« Reply #51 on: August 05, 2013, 05:11:16 PM »
"Fratto World"

I just know about ten practices before trip. I would assume they could also work out during trip, but they will be traveling and touring Paris, Rome and Barcelona. It would seem,with all that, any permissible practice time would be limited a bit. I defer to other posters with exact knowledge of practice rules.

Thanks paultz!
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #52 on: August 05, 2013, 05:59:06 PM »
I know the guy handling all the travel arrangements. He was MGR for Fraschilla back in the day. Everything is going to be 1st class.

Do we know what cities & Dates they're playing ?
Are all 13 on campus now?
On the redstormsports.com the promo advertising this fall's tix has D'Angelo's picture- a very good sign ?

Well according to the flyer they'll be playing in Paris somewhere between August 12th and 22nd.

Moose

« Reply #53 on: August 05, 2013, 10:18:44 PM »
"Fratto World"

Can't wait for the posters who criticized the kids touring Alcatraz last year complaining about touring European landmarks ;)
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #54 on: August 06, 2013, 09:55:19 AM »
the way they played against san francisco, they should have left them in alcatraz and tossed the keys.

as far as paris...keep them away from pigalle.  that's all i'll say about it.

paultzman

« Reply #55 on: August 06, 2013, 10:21:02 AM »
Step up from Alcatraz;

“@SJUCoachLavin: Looking forward to visiting Spain with #Stjbb team later this month and seeing some of Antonio Gaudi works. http://twitter.com/SJUCoachLavin/status/364752178130325505/photo/1

Nicer building than Sly Fox?

“@SJUCoachLavin: #stjbb Antonio Gaudi http://twitter.com/SJUCoachLavin/status/364753071961673732/photo/1
« Last Edit: August 06, 2013, 10:26:31 AM by paultzman »

redslope

« Reply #56 on: August 06, 2013, 10:54:18 AM »
the way they played against san francisco, they should have left them in alcatraz and tossed the keys.

as far as paris...keep them away from pigalle.  that's all i'll say about it.

this trip only visiting Cathedrals--praying for a good season

paultzman

« Reply #57 on: August 06, 2013, 11:24:48 AM »
Not suggesting Yahoo coverage of our Euro trip, but hopefully some game content, interviews, etc. via available means. Thought this New Mexico Australian trip coverage was indicative of solid communication for fans;

“@YahooDagger: New Mexico in Australia, Day 3: Key steals enable Lobos to open Craig Neal’s tenure with a win http://yhoo.it/15FtUi3

Then again, I know "squat" about media coverage.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2013, 11:36:53 AM by paultzman »

Moose

Remember who broke the Slice news