Mo Hicks Leaving

• 96 replies
Re: Mo Hicks Leaving
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2013, 02:05:31 PM »
Rothstein says they're targeting Jim Whitesell. Does that mean Martin slides down the bench?

Dunlap is available.... LOL

Seriously, does Dunlap have a job yet?

No because he's still getting paid by MJ very handsomely.

True.  I would love to have him back.  Regarding Hicks, wish him the best and all, but I am curious, does anyone think he lived up to, or exceeded, the expectations he had coming in three years ago?
As DoBO, Mo could have been doing things not many of us have a clue if he did them or not, except for Dave and a few others: liaison for marketing, academic, development, housing, ticket office, facilities, sports information, business office, alumni, booster club, etc.  He also could have been supervising student managers, graduate assistants, and serving as office manager of our department.

Mo could have been handling all speaking engagements for Coach Lavin, speaking with the academic advisor to check on grade progress, handle all scheduling needs for visiting teams, scheduling games for the upcoming season, monitoring incoming freshmen to make sure they have submitted in all their paperwork for admission and NCAA eligibility requirements, assisting with the teams leadership session (once a week).  Mo could have been doing team travel which consists of speaking with the bus companies, hotels, restaurants and other companies associated with travel.

Great, Great post.

DFF6

« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2013, 02:07:02 PM »
Rothstein says they're targeting Jim Whitesell. Does that mean Martin slides down the bench?

True.  I would love to have him back.  Regarding Hicks, wish him the best and all, but I am curious, does anyone think he lived up to, or exceeded, the expectations he had coming in three years ago?
As DoBO, Mo could have been doing things not many of us have a clue if he did them or not, except for Dave and a few others: liaison for marketing, academic, development, housing, ticket office, facilities, sports information, business office, alumni, booster club, etc.  He also could have been supervising student managers, graduate assistants, and serving as office manager of our department.

Mo could have been handling all speaking engagements for Coach Lavin, speaking with the academic advisor to check on grade progress, handle all scheduling needs for visiting teams, scheduling games for the upcoming season, monitoring incoming freshmen to make sure they have submitted in all their paperwork for admission and NCAA eligibility requirements, assisting with the teams leadership session (once a week).  Mo could have been doing team travel which consists of speaking with the bus companies, hotels, restaurants and other companies associated with travel.

Good points. I should have clarified my original statement with what the "expectations" were.  For me, I thought getting Hicks, a near legendary coach from Rice, would mean we would be one of the top teams in the hunt for most of the NYC talent--perhaps an unrealistic and unfair expectation.  I am clearly not "in the know" as to what Hicks actually accomplished in this 3 year tenure, hence my question.

SJUFAN

« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2013, 02:21:38 PM »
It would be a great addition if we added a basketball mind to the staff.

« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2013, 02:28:53 PM »
Per Zags tweet sounds like Whitesell is all but a done deal.

Funny because SLU could be joining the new BE soon.  My guess is his friendship with Lavin and perhaps the long tern uncertainty at SLU, how long will Crews be the HC, probably leads him here.

Great hire.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2013, 04:09:08 PM by fordham96 »

Foad

« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2013, 02:48:23 PM »
It would be a great addition if we added a basketball mind to the staff.

I could while away the hours,
extolling Phil Greene's powers
But that would be insane
And my head I'd be scratchin'
while the weave i'd be hatching
If I only had a brain.

I'd unravel every defense 
without a care or pretense
its easy to explain
With the thoughts I'd be thinkin'
while my prostate is shrinkin'
If I only had a brain.

Oh, I could tell you why
The foul lines near the floor
I could think of things
were never thunk before.

I would not take a powder 
my head all full of chowder
While all the threes were drained
We would dance and be merry,
Like when we had Walter Berry
If I only had a brain.

LJSA

« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2013, 02:56:35 PM »
perhaps the long tern uncertainty if SLU, how long will Crews be the HC, probably leads him here.

In terms of the uncertainty you mentioned, do you think Crews got lucky with Majerus' players, or that Crews is so good he will get a bigger opportunity?

MCNPA

« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2013, 02:57:14 PM »
Per Zags tweet sounds like Whitesell is all but a done deal.

Funny because SLU could be joining the new BE soon.  My guess is his friendship with Lavin and perhaps the long tern uncertainty if SLU, how long will Crews be the HC, probably leads him here.

Great hire.

Whitesell certainly seems like a great hire.  I'm guessing it would mean Darrick Martin moving down to DOBO.  Not sure if that is the case or somebody would be moving on somewhere else, but Chiles is our lead recruiter and is going nowhere and I don't think Hines is either.

« Reply #27 on: July 31, 2013, 02:57:25 PM »

Good points. I should have clarified my original statement with what the "expectations" were.  For me, I thought getting Hicks, a near legendary coach from Rice, would mean we would be one of the top teams in the hunt for most of the NYC talent--perhaps an unrealistic and unfair expectation.  I am clearly not "in the know" as to what Hicks actually accomplished in this 3 year tenure, hence my question.
I'm not sure what Coach expected, or what mo expected.  I do know DoBO entails a lot of that "grunt-work" I mentioned. Maybe Darrick Martin joining the staff caused this decision - my speculation only.  I have talked to UMD's DoBO Dustin Clark.  Dustin's a good guy - he even took in some info I had about a certain player who had faded off their interested list.  So yes, they field our "stuff" too  :idiot2:

« Reply #28 on: July 31, 2013, 03:00:39 PM »

Well, the big thing was, we couldn't recruit Rice High for 2 years, aka 2/3 of the time he was here.  We know that's cost us players, most notably Momo Jones as a transfer, and probably Kadeem Jack too.  So, his hiring seems like a waste from that perspective, anyway.

That being said, I'm very happy with Lavin's recruiting overall.
Regarding Momo and Jack, maybe it was a blessing in disguise - you never know...

Well the Iona thread would be about 60 pages shorter :)
THAT is very true - I remember that thread!  BTW, Iona will be there next week at a Junior Day Prospect Camp my son was invited to at Mary Washington College in VA.  He is more DII/DIII right now, so I may have to give Joe Mazzella a call - he he he...
« Last Edit: July 31, 2013, 03:01:12 PM by bball purist »

paultzman

« Reply #29 on: July 31, 2013, 03:11:52 PM »
Excellent news if Whitesell is hired.

paultzman

« Reply #30 on: July 31, 2013, 03:34:46 PM »
http://unewsonline.com/2011/08/25/men’s-hoops-welcomes-whitesell-aboard/

Nice synopsis of abilities.

« Reply #31 on: July 31, 2013, 03:39:44 PM »

Sorry Choz

No worries bre.
New day, new opportunities.
Peace out my peeps.
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

« Reply #32 on: July 31, 2013, 03:55:07 PM »
I don't follow ...

« Reply #33 on: July 31, 2013, 04:10:43 PM »
I don't follow ...
Choz was Mo all this time :)

mkras99

« Reply #34 on: July 31, 2013, 05:11:47 PM »
I don't follow ...

Nah.  Can't be.  Could it?

paultzman

« Reply #35 on: July 31, 2013, 05:14:11 PM »
I don't follow ...

Obviously Choz & Mo Hicks were respected members of Gauchos "family". Nobody likes to see a friend or associate lose a job.

LJSA

« Reply #36 on: July 31, 2013, 05:37:09 PM »
Nobody likes to see a friend or associate lose a job.

Was this a resignation or a "resignation"?

DFF6

« Reply #37 on: July 31, 2013, 05:45:28 PM »
Nobody likes to see a friend or associate lose a job.

Was this a resignation or a "resignation"?

"Lose a job" certainly implies being pushed out the door.  Seems like there is more to the story...

mkras99

« Reply #38 on: July 31, 2013, 05:48:05 PM »
I don't follow ...

Obviously Choz & Mo Hicks were respected members of Gauchos "family". Nobody likes to see a friend or associate lose a job.

Depends on the next job, I guess.

paultzman

« Reply #39 on: July 31, 2013, 05:54:21 PM »
I don't follow ...

Depends on the next job, I guess.

True