San Francisco State Exhibiton Game

• 146 replies

Foad

Re: San Francisco State Exhibiton Game
« Reply #100 on: November 03, 2013, 01:10:28 PM »
I think it's the opposite with Jakarr. He needs to prove he is a wing player to be a first round pick. Without a jump shot he would get abused in the pros.

Agree. There's no way he's a 4 in the NBA. I assume he realizes that and has worked on extending his range. As for whether he did, too small a sample. It doesn't bode well for the season if he spends the season standing out there waiting for the ball, but I don't see the big deal if he steps out every once and while and hoists a three. He can't be any worse a shooter than Greene.

Moose

« Reply #101 on: November 03, 2013, 01:11:49 PM »
I think it's the opposite with Jakarr. He needs to prove he is a wing player to be a first round pick. Without a jump shot he would get abused in the pros.

Agree. There's no way he's a 4 in the NBA. I assume he realizes that and has worked on extending his range. As for whether he did, too small a sample. It doesn't bode well for the season if he spends the season standing out there waiting for the ball, but I don't see the big deal if he steps out every once and while and hoists a three. He can't be any worse a shooter than Greene.

Exactly.
On the bright side he has already hit more than he did all of last year right :)
Remember who broke the Slice news

paultzman

« Reply #102 on: November 03, 2013, 01:19:43 PM »

Greene took nine shots in 19 minutes.  Jordan takes only 7 in 29.  Also,  Phil makes only three. I just don't want Greene shooting so much.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2013, 01:22:33 PM by paultzman »

Moose

« Reply #103 on: November 03, 2013, 01:23:29 PM »

Greene took nine shots in 19 minutes.  Jordan takes only 7 in 29.  Also,  Phil makes only three. I just don't want Greene shooting so much.

Hate to beat a dead horse but it seems to be par for the course with Phil.  He drove the lane from the wing for a great play and next possession he took a step back fadeaway 3.  One thing he is good at and one he is painfully not.  Wish he would do more of the good thing.
Remember who broke the Slice news

paultzman

« Reply #104 on: November 03, 2013, 01:25:44 PM »

Hate to beat a dead horse but it seems to be par for the course with Phil.  He drove the lane from the wing for a great play and next possession he took a step back fadeaway 3.  One thing he is good at and one he is painfully not.  Wish he would do more of the good thing.

Exactly. Plus he stands a better chance of drawing fouls driving lane.

paultzman

« Reply #105 on: November 03, 2013, 02:08:00 PM »
“@NYPost_Brazille: The Gators nearly knocked off St. John's yesterday in an exhibition game. No, not those Gators. #sjubb http://nyp.st/1cADkeH

bk8664

« Reply #106 on: November 03, 2013, 02:19:29 PM »

Greene is just a bit out of control...forcing it a bit.   He has to learn to get rid of the ball if it isn't there for him.  For Jordan, I hope (expect) the coaches to tell him to be more aggressive.

« Reply #107 on: November 03, 2013, 02:21:16 PM »

In addition, they should paint the area above the top of the key Green and make it a no Greene zone...When I see him controlling the ball up there it's like a recurring nightmare

paultzman

« Reply #108 on: November 03, 2013, 03:37:22 PM »
“@rumbleSBN: The numbers behind St. John's 82-80 close call vs San Francisco State. #sjubb http://sbn.to/1hbumKQ

« Reply #109 on: November 03, 2013, 04:14:58 PM »
With Sanchez playing he has taken away JKS positioning on the floor.  Last year JKS killed it from the foul line. If you notice Sanche is now there.  Lavin needs to find a way to play to both their strengths.

« Reply #110 on: November 03, 2013, 04:44:37 PM »
Relax - it's November!  Goal is to use these games to see what kids can do under game conditions.  I saw real positive things from Dlo , Rysheed, Sanchez and Dom. Personally I don't mind a scare from a D 2 team - may be a great motivator.

With any luck staff will disect film and we will look better tomorrow and be ready to go Friday.  Ultimate goal is to hit stride in February and peek in March.  Hopefully, we are remebering this as a "joke" come March.

desco80

« Reply #111 on: November 03, 2013, 05:14:08 PM »

Phil should teach Jordan his floater.  Rysheed would be incredibly dangerous if he had Greene's midrange game.   

« Reply #112 on: November 03, 2013, 05:56:08 PM »

Phil should teach Jordan his floater.  Rysheed would be incredibly dangerous if he had Greene's midrange game.   

I dont think phil can teach him anything lol. Rysheeds mid range game looked great to me. That charge call late in the first was a bad call, everything else was pretty much perfect. Two jumpers, few others right to the rim. You are right that phils floater is good, its his best skill.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

Poison

« Reply #113 on: November 03, 2013, 06:24:59 PM »

Greene is just a bit out of control...forcing it a bit.   He has to learn to get rid of the ball if it isn't there for him.  For Jordan, I hope (expect) the coaches to tell him to be more aggressive.

Jordan was aggressive at the end of the game. He was driving at will.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2013, 06:25:16 PM by Poison »

redslope

« Reply #114 on: November 03, 2013, 06:40:29 PM »
“@rumbleSBN: The numbers behind St. John's 82-80 close call vs San Francisco State. #sjubb http://sbn.to/1hbumKQ
Interesting stat is the FT's.  The new rules were highlighted as we had 31 FT attempts when in the prior year we had we had about 17 per game.  In this game SF St. was not fouling us to get back in the game.  We shot 9% better than last year and that is something we will need to maintain/improve.  Dangelo had dozen which was double what he averaged last year.  The refs will probably call most of the hand checking outside which could help Dangelo up his PPG this year.

We as a team did not commit a significant number of these new fouls which may reflect coaching but also contribute to the sloppy defense as the players were so concerned with the foul rules that they laid off their defensive assignments too much.

« Reply #115 on: November 03, 2013, 06:49:22 PM »
No panic after this game, although a loss would have been demoralizing.  Need more dribble penetration against a zone.  Harrison great, but I wish others could have stepped up to seal that win.  Jordan looked great and I can only imagine how great he'll be with even more confidence and experience.  Sanchez will be a very solid contributor.  I'm not worried about Sampson in the least bit, despite how poorly he played -- just early season jitters and trying to find his place.  I knew Gift would play and contribute this year, and I thought his contribution was exactly as to be expected.  He has late reaction and anticipation under the hoop when a pass is shuffled to him.  I think he'll continue to play even with Obekpa back.

Branch was in a daze.  Others have commented on his early fouls and how that might have taken him out of his rythm, but he was holding the ball too much and not attacking the zone and creating.  Pretty much a non-factor.  Hooper wanted to do too much on offense and never got set when he launched those 3s.  And he was slow on defense.  Pointer was pure hustle as always.

Like others, I suspect we'll see Felix and Christian redshirt.  They'll be riding the bench all year.  I think Marco is going to be riding the pines this year but could get a few chances to redeem himself this year and better be ready to make the most of it when the time comes.

I am a little concerned that our DII matchup provided a nice template for Wisconsin.  Play zone against us.

paultzman

« Reply #116 on: November 03, 2013, 06:55:47 PM »
No panic after this game, although a loss would have been demoralizing.  Need more dribble penetration against a zone.  Harrison great, but I wish others could have stepped up to seal that win.  Jordan looked great and I can only imagine how great he'll be with even more confidence and experience.  Sanchez will be a very solid contributor.  I'm not worried about Sampson in the least bit, despite how poorly he played -- just early season jitters and trying to find his place.  I knew Gift would play and contribute this year, and I thought his contribution was exactly as to be expected.  He has late reaction and anticipation under the hoop when a pass is shuffled to him.  I think he'll continue to play even with Obekpa back.

Branch was in a daze.  Others have commented on his early fouls and how that might have taken him out of his rythm, but he was holding the ball too much and not attacking the zone and creating.  Pretty much a non-factor.  Hooper wanted to do too much on offense and never got set when he launched those 3s.  And he was slow on defense.  Pointer was pure hustle as always.

Like others, I suspect we'll see Felix and Christian redshirt.  They'll be riding the bench all year.  I think Marco is going to be riding the pines this year but could get a few chances to redeem himself this year and better be ready to make the most of it when the time comes.

I am a little concerned that our DII matchup provided a nice template for Wisconsin.  Play zone against us.

That template, unfortunately, is about 15 years old, maybe more.

Poison

« Reply #117 on: November 03, 2013, 07:00:12 PM »

That template, unfortunately, is about 15 years old, maybe more.

We've been getting zoned since Mullin graduated.

« Reply #118 on: November 03, 2013, 07:15:04 PM »
Haha.  Yes, we can expect to be zoned.  And Wisconsin will eat us alive if we are taking bad shots.  And they'll try to take Harrison out of the game.  Then they'll hold the ball for nearly 30 seconds on the other end.  Geez, I want that Wisconsin game badly.

Not sure if we have a thread on the Wisconsin game yet, but this link provides some insight on what we can expect:
http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-triangle/post/_/id/12315/

« Reply #119 on: November 03, 2013, 07:31:58 PM »
Taking D'angelo out of the game will not be as effective a strategy as it was last year.  Jakarr will not be the only other option.  I'm more concerned with our defense that I am with scoring options.  We will easily be 10 pts better this year on offense than we were last year.