Rating Coach

• 104 replies

paultzman

Re: Rating Coach
« Reply #60 on: November 25, 2013, 11:41:38 AM »
Another example if you want to play Devil's advocate is Harrison vs Hooper.
People posted on this very board that Harrison shoots too much(to say nothing of eye rolls, tats, frohawk, gang affilation and such) and everyone and their mother clamors for Hooper to play. Well he played and shot terribly but I actually saw it posted as a positive?????

Nonsense. I was very cautious about Max' ability to play and defend at this level. A number of posters were in accord with that. Many supported D'Lo, me included. Stop painting everything with a broad brush. Boards will always have divergence of opinion. live with that and put soap box in storage.

« Reply #61 on: November 25, 2013, 02:06:36 PM »

« Reply #62 on: November 25, 2013, 02:14:46 PM »

BTW I am only playing but people do defend Lavin like he is a realtive.

Yeah and by your posts, he's your worst enemy.

« Reply #63 on: November 25, 2013, 02:37:33 PM »
Only if stating that he needs to start making tourney's and keep his players is harsh. If so, sure I am his worst critic then.

« Reply #64 on: November 25, 2013, 04:24:33 PM »
People posted on this very board that Harrison shoots too much(to say nothing of eye rolls, tats, frohawk, gang affilation and such) and everyone and their mother clamors for Hooper to play. Well he played and shot terribly but I actually saw it posted as a positive?????

Nonsense. I was very cautious about Max' ability to play and defend at this level. A number of posters were in accord with that. Many supported D'Lo, me included. Stop painting everything with a broad brush. Boards will always have divergence of opinion. live with that and put soap box in storage.

Why do you assume he was talking about you, Paultz?  Just wondering.  I think you are one of the more reasonable---and best---posters on the board.  I doubt that he was referring to you.

paultzman

« Reply #65 on: November 25, 2013, 04:29:18 PM »

Why do you assume he was talking about you, Paultz?  Just wondering.  I think you are one of the more reasonable---and best---posters on the board.  I doubt that he was referring to you.

I did not assume that. Was just giving examples of some positive opinions about Harrison and criticisms of Max in response to WSJU Harrison v. Hooper reference. Sorry if I appeared to take it personally. Really didn't. Thanks

« Reply #66 on: November 25, 2013, 04:36:44 PM »
Was not Paultz. And racism thing was just me tweaking apostles of Lavin, which I do not consider you one.

paultzman

« Reply #67 on: November 25, 2013, 04:38:00 PM »
Was not Paultz. And racism thing was just me tweaking apostles of Lavin, which I do not consider you one.

Fine

« Reply #68 on: November 25, 2013, 05:06:24 PM »
How come everyone is what their record says they are except Lavin? He's 33 and 36 with his own players. If that's a B+ - which is above above average and just short of outstanding - what's his grade when he gets to .530? A++++++?

Just read your game recps on BEB, those were great. Should have done those back in the heyday over there during Norm years. Would have had more amunition.

Hey I can use quote function at work again, now I can directly insult people's posts to avoid any confusion.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2013, 05:07:44 PM by we are sju »

« Reply #69 on: November 25, 2013, 06:38:08 PM »
Only if stating that he needs to start making tourney's and keep his players is harsh. If so, sure I am his worst critic then.

Is that all you're saying? I don't think so. You call him "the most overrated coach in college basketball." You say he should be fired if he misses the tourney this year.

Marillac

« Reply #70 on: November 25, 2013, 07:37:09 PM »
I gave him a B, and I probably would have given him a B- if that was an option.  He has recruited the caliber of player that has not considered St. John's for a decade, and that cannot be ignored. I give him a complete pass for year one with all the freshmen, and I think he did fairly well for such a limited team last year.  He needs to absolutely have this team near the top 25, though.  They are one of the most experienced teams out there.

I absolutely believe that Norm would have missed the NCAA tournament with his guys their senior year.  Lavin had that team scraping its head against its ceiling.  We were beating both Duke and the eventual national champions by 30 at some point. 

« Reply #71 on: November 25, 2013, 07:40:49 PM »
game coaching below average but he was smart enough to bring in someone better at then he is this year after losing Dunlap.

I don't know what role Whitesell has assumed but Lavin seems to do more talking to Rico Hines during the game...

« Reply #72 on: November 25, 2013, 07:48:40 PM »

People root for Hooper because we are desperate for a knock down shooter. PERIOD.  DLo is not a knockdown shooter. Hooper may not be either. If he isn't, people won't call for him and he will sit.

« Reply #73 on: November 25, 2013, 07:52:28 PM »
We made 1 NCAA tourney in 3 years. That is Brian Mahoney territory. You know, the Norm defenders used to try to say that the criticism was partially based on racism. I naturally disagreed and figured everyone was basing it on the fact that he sucked like I was. Now with people getting all bent out of shape if you suggest that Lavin is failing if he fails to make the tourney more than once every 4 years... I am not so sure anymore.

Big difference, Brian Mahoney was handed the baton with good pole position. We were  relevant. We were irrelevant when Lavin took over. Doesn't lessen the expectation that we continue to progress under his watch and ultimately become a consistent winner.

« Reply #74 on: November 25, 2013, 09:43:27 PM »

Is that all you're saying? I don't think so. You call him "the most overrated coach in college basketball." You say he should be fired if he misses the tourney this year.

Fired if no tourney and no Jordan. He is safe from what I am hearing about Jordan. Def takes a hit with no tourney though. Yes I think he is overrated. I also think The Grateful Dead  and John Grisham are overrated.

« Reply #75 on: November 25, 2013, 10:29:10 PM »

People root for Hooper because we are desperate for a knock down shooter. PERIOD.   

Disagree.  The white players are always very popular with the largely white fanbase.

Poison

« Reply #76 on: November 25, 2013, 10:52:05 PM »
2011-2012,  13-19 record...  granted they are on his resume, but he coached what, 3 games that season? Although argument could be made, and I'm sure would be, that Dunlap did better than SL would have done..

I think B-, C+ is a fair grade.

I think it's reasonable to make the argument that Dunlap sucks. He won 13 games. That sucks.

Poison

« Reply #77 on: November 25, 2013, 10:56:00 PM »

If we don't make the tournament this season, do you think Lavin shouldn't be fired?

« Reply #78 on: November 25, 2013, 11:02:49 PM »

If we don't make the tournament this season, do you think Lavin shouldn't be fired?

Anyone who would fire him needs their head examined.

« Reply #79 on: November 25, 2013, 11:30:19 PM »
Wait, what?????
Suspended for drinking. College kid drinking, wow. Do you get suspended for getting laid too?

You do if it happens in pittsburgh.
P
All sarcasm aside, you do if you go to BYU - remember the forward Brandon Davies who was kicked out of the school?  Oh yes - a school's gotta have a code...where's Omar? ha ha ha