Fordham Game Discussion

• 193 replies
Re: Fordham Game Discussion
« Reply #180 on: December 09, 2013, 05:10:23 AM »
How the hell did the worst shooting team in the country and we all know that Lavin can't coach (see Longwood and Penn St games) beat a Fordham team that beat a MAAC powerhouse on the road like Manhattan by 40+ points?

How is that possible?

How can that be we know Lavin in 3 years could not recruit a 3 point shooter and even decided not to recruit a bonafide 3pt shooter in Jon Severe?

Someone needs to explain this to me right now...

Really?   You can't enjoy this win without being obnoxious?
I'm not saying Lavin is a good in-game coach or not, but beating Fordham today doesn't discount the last 30 games we've seen.   So give it a rest

Shut up and I don't care what you say.  People said SJU was the worst shooting team after the first 3 games you nice person.not the last 30.

But you proved my point the most obnoxious people are those who can't stand having it thrown back in their face and then justify everything they say by saying "this does nothing."  Laughable and predictable.  And a nice person.

Don't respond to any of my posts again...

Don't respond to your posts?   Why are you on a message board then?

And no one is saying that the Fordham game does nothing.   It was a great game, one of  if not the best performances I've seen in recent memory.   I had a blast at the game.

But it's incredibly hypocritical for you to come on after the game and yell "See!!  I told you Lavin's a genius!!   And we're a great shooting team too!! "
It wasn't the end of the world, and it didn't mean coach was a bufoon when we lost to Penn State, or had a bad first half against Monmouth and Longwood.  And it's equally true that blowing out Fordham isn't proof positive that everything is perfect.   

So don't come on after a fun win and ask irritatingly sarcastic and rhetorical questions like "how could the worst shooting team in the country ever possibly play this good?"   You may think you're proving a point; but there's not one to prove.  WE ARE one of the worst shooting teams.  That's been a fact for the last season +6 games buddy.
We all hope yesterdays success continues - but there's no "I told you so" moment here.    Everyone wants this team to do well, so stop acting like there are SJU fans who want Lavin to fail.   That's absurd.    We should be talking about what a great win yesterday was and what they have to do to keep it going against 'Cuse.

We're actually shooting .462 PCT which is good for 112th overall. That puts us around the top 30 percent of all Div. 1 schools. Statistically, we are actually an above average shooting team. But don't let facts get in the way of your "worst shooting team in the country" agenda.

Fordham is correct, as much as he may have gotten a little carried away. It's funny that sarcasm is only allowed if it is making fun of our team. But sticking up for our guys after a big win? That's just "obnoxious."
are we 112 as of today or was that before the fordham game ?

Today according to ESPN.com
Improving at least.

Desco isn't really wrong though. Last year we stunk shooting percentage wise. Definitely ranked worse than 250 div 1 shooting %. And I'd venture to guess since it was a small amount of games that before yesterdays unconscious effort by us that we'd probably were ranked worse than 200 before the game.

Poison said it best. Cautiously optimistic.

Loved the passing of the ball. If the kids keep on doing that our numbers will definitely keep getting much better with easier shots.

I agree we were horrible at shooting last season, but it's a new season.

Also, my only problem with Desco's post was that he called out Fordham for being sarcastic about all the negativity on this site the past few weeks. The negativity deserved to be ridiculed, because the following are even more annoying than the sarcasm Fordham posted which I found to be funny after a 104-58 win.

"we can't shoot"
"We'd be run out of the gym by Iona"
"Our players have the worst IQ in the country"
"We can't pass, shoot, or defend"
"We have the most overrated coach in the country"
"Lavin made a mistake and should have gone all out for Severe" (even though they conveniently leave out the fact it would have had to be instead of Jordan) 

« Reply #181 on: December 09, 2013, 06:23:59 AM »
Am I the only person who thinks we just need to run the hell out of every team we face?

Part of me still thinks (More like hopes) that our early season woes are the coaching staff making sure we can play half-court offense if we need to. But man, this team is damn near unstoppable in a full-court, uptempo game. Fordham stood no chance from the jump with that gameplan vs. us.

Literally all of our players thrive on both ends in a full court game. I know I sound like a broken record, but if we don't try to outrun and outgun Cuse, I'm going to be angry. Letting them get set up on both ends of the floor is akin to letting them control the game.

Poison

« Reply #182 on: December 09, 2013, 09:19:32 AM »
Am I the only person who thinks we just need to run the hell out of every team we face?

No, I've been practically screaming it. I've wanted it from day one, against every team, no matter what. It's my personal preference. But this year, with 12 guys, we've got to be the enforcer on d, and that begins we press IMO. We have the athletes. If we come out with an intense man to man defense against SU, and we lose a hard fought game, we'll walk away knowing that we've made progress, much like in 1998 when we came really close to knocking off Stanford.

desco80

« Reply #183 on: December 09, 2013, 12:25:29 PM »
How the hell did the worst shooting team in the country and we all know that Lavin can't coach (see Longwood and Penn St games) beat a Fordham team that beat a MAAC powerhouse on the road like Manhattan by 40+ points?

How is that possible?

How can that be we know Lavin in 3 years could not recruit a 3 point shooter and even decided not to recruit a bonafide 3pt shooter in Jon Severe?

I'm not saying Lavin is a good in-game coach or not, but beating Fordham today doesn't discount the last 30 games we've seen.   So give it a rest

Shut up and I don't care what you say.  People said SJU was the worst shooting team after the first 3 games you nice person.not the last 30.

But you proved my point the most obnoxious people are those who can't stand having it thrown back in their face and then justify everything they say by saying "this does nothing."  Laughable and predictable.  And a nice person.

And no one is saying that the Fordham game does nothing.   It was a great game, one of  if not the best performances I've seen in recent memory.   I had a blast at the game.

But it's incredibly hypocritical for you to come on after the game and yell "See!!  I told you Lavin's a genius!!   And we're a great shooting team too!! "
It wasn't the end of the world, and it didn't mean coach was a bufoon when we lost to Penn State, or had a bad first half against Monmouth and Longwood.  And it's equally true that blowing out Fordham isn't proof positive that everything is perfect.   

So don't come on after a fun win and ask irritatingly sarcastic and rhetorical questions like "how could the worst shooting team in the country ever possibly play this good?"   You may think you're proving a point; but there's not one to prove.  WE ARE one of the worst shooting teams.  That's been a fact for the last season +6 games buddy.
We all hope yesterdays success continues - but there's no "I told you so" moment here.    Everyone wants this team to do well, so stop acting like there are SJU fans who want Lavin to fail.   That's absurd.    We should be talking about what a great win yesterday was and what they have to do to keep it going against 'Cuse.

We're actually shooting .462 PCT which is good for 112th overall. That puts us around the top 30 percent of all Div. 1 schools. Statistically, we are actually an above average shooting team. But don't let facts get in the way of your "worst shooting team in the country" agenda.

Fordham is correct, as much as he may have gotten a little carried away. It's funny that sarcasm is only allowed if it is making fun of our team. But sticking up for our guys after a big win? That's just "obnoxious."
are we 112 as of today or was that before the fordham game ?

Today according to ESPN.com
Improving at least.

Desco isn't really wrong though. Last year we stunk shooting percentage wise. Definitely ranked worse than 250 div 1 shooting %. And I'd venture to guess since it was a small amount of games that before yesterdays unconscious effort by us that we'd probably were ranked worse than 200 before the game.

Poison said it best. Cautiously optimistic.

Loved the passing of the ball. If the kids keep on doing that our numbers will definitely keep getting much better with easier shots.

I agree we were horrible at shooting last season, but it's a new season.

Also, my only problem with Desco's post was that he called out Fordham for being sarcastic about all the negativity on this site the past few weeks. The negativity deserved to be ridiculed, because the following are even more annoying than the sarcasm Fordham posted which I found to be funny after a 104-58 win.

"we can't shoot"
"We'd be run out of the gym by Iona"
"Our players have the worst IQ in the country"
"We can't pass, shoot, or defend"
"We have the most overrated coach in the country"
"Lavin made a mistake and should have gone all out for Severe" (even though they conveniently leave out the fact it would have had to be instead of Jordan) 

Some of the stuff was ridiculous, you're right. 

« Reply #184 on: December 09, 2013, 12:27:26 PM »

No, I've been practically screaming it. I've wanted it from day one, against every team, no matter what. It's my personal preference. But this year, with 12 guys, we've got to be the enforcer on d, and that begins we press IMO. We have the athletes. If we come out with an intense man to man defense against SU, and we lose a hard fought game, we'll walk away knowing that we've made progress, much like in 1998 when we came really close to knocking off Stanford.

Count me in. This team was born to run and they are uncanny in locating the right man to put the exclamation point on the break. This combined with good ball movement and prudent use of the press and we can take the Cuse on Sunday. If we get tentative and devolve into a half court game it's a horse of a different color. Let the horses loose!

« Reply #185 on: December 09, 2013, 12:44:45 PM »

Part of me still thinks (More like hopes) that our early season woes are the coaching staff making sure we can play half-court offense if we need to. But man, this team is damn near unstoppable in a full-court, uptempo game. Fordham stood no chance from the jump with that gameplan vs. us.

Literally all of our players thrive on both ends in a full court game. I know I sound like a broken record, but if we don't try to outrun and outgun Cuse, I'm going to be angry. Letting them get set up on both ends of the floor is akin to letting them control the game.
I'll say it (tongue in cheek - sort of) again.  Coach Lavs needs to go Cali and run Westhead's system- hee hee

SJUFAN

« Reply #186 on: December 09, 2013, 02:45:22 PM »

Count me in. This team was born to run and they are uncanny in locating the right man to put the exclamation point on the break. This combined with good ball movement and prudent use of the press and we can take the Cuse on Sunday. If we get tentative and devolve into a half court game it's a horse of a different color. Let the horses loose!

We are a running team. What is being over looked is what happens when the OTHER team prevents you? Are we supposed to throw up a contested shot 7 seconds into the shot clock and if we don't we are not a running team? No, When the opportunity presents itself and the team looks to take advantage of it, then your a running team, if you slow it down when you have a fast break opportunity then your not.

Tom Izzo coached teams give up fast break opportunities, if you can secure the rebound, because he sends 3-4 players to the offensive glass. The late Rick Majerus teams didn't give up any fast break points because he had 3-4 players getting back on the shot every time. We are looking to push the ball up the floor every single time, so please, lets stop suggesting we are not a running team when we most definitely are.

derk

« Reply #187 on: December 09, 2013, 03:15:19 PM »

And if we don't allow the Cuse zone to stymie us. Answer ? Board and run the break before they can set up.

paultzman

« Reply #188 on: December 09, 2013, 04:44:03 PM »
@NYPost_Brazille: St. John's rewind: A perfect game, out of nowhere http://t.co/B10PoCKvkv #sjubb

« Reply #189 on: December 09, 2013, 07:30:06 PM »

How is that possible?

It's a time for cautious optimism. Not I told you so.

We do this against SU, feel free to ask for your credit, but this was Fordham. The only way it's a big game is if we lose it. If Fordham wins 20 games, I'll happily eat my words. But a win over a program that NEVER wins 20 games isn't big.

They we're an awful defensive team. Easily the worst I've ever seen.

Well, you thought it would be a double digit Fordham win and we won by over 40. It was Fordham, yes. But you were the one saying margin of victory is a huge when saying we'd be run out of the gym by Iona. Still think that?  ::)

Yes, I'm aware. I admit when I'm wrong. Some people have a convenient memory.

I've seen a lot of upsets as a STJ fan. I'm sorry if you don't agree, but I think I'm entitled to be both a pessimist and a wait and see guy. Let's see how they do against a real team on Sunday. Then, let's talk.

Being cautiously optimistic is fine...too many posters who only come out for the bad times

boo3

« Reply #190 on: December 09, 2013, 07:34:29 PM »
 those are just trolls who know they have a captive audience on this site.

Personally I think Dave should look into an ignore feature, where you can essentially block someone and not have to read their drivel.

« Reply #191 on: December 10, 2013, 10:59:09 PM »
Jeff Borzello @jeffborzello
Fordham's Jon Severe is now 3-for-30 in his past two games.

paultzman

« Reply #192 on: December 21, 2013, 04:17:34 PM »
Fordham lost to Monmouth, blowing lead. 

tnice

« Reply #193 on: January 14, 2014, 10:53:55 PM »

How is that possible?

How is that possible?

Bump.