Bracketology

• 425 replies
Re: Bracketology
« Reply #300 on: March 06, 2014, 09:39:50 AM »
The Big East is getting 3 to 4 teams in.

The loss to Nova hurt for resume and Xavier was absolutely crushing as St. John's will not be the #3 seed going into BET.

Other teams around the country have won their must win games lately putting St. John's further off the bubble.

Absolutely correct.  And imo Lavin mailed in a winnable game at Nova by having Sanchez take a personal day instead of having him drive to Providence after the game.  It may be unpopular but is true.  No doubt it is an important thing for Sanchez having had a baby a few days before, but we had a hobbled Obekpa and sent Sanchez off on the most important game of the year.  That IMO was the big killer for us.  Had we won that game, we'd be looking in decent shape.  We were lucky to have had DePaul on the schedule when we sent Rysheed back to Philly.  Now we need miracles unfortunately.

Probably three teams in if either Villanova, Creighton or Xavier win the BET.  The Atlantic 10 may get seven in...the AAC will get five.  That's a lot of spaces.  I'm convinced we're out if we don't win the tournament.  The Marquette game doesn't matter except for our seeding. 

One problem is Lavin thrives on drama.  The team doesn't, but he does.  The built in excuses he creates may make the NIT seem more palatable in the final analysis.

What if Jarvis joins the staff as a special advisor?  NCAA lock, no?

DFF6

« Reply #301 on: March 06, 2014, 09:58:07 AM »
The people who are saying we can't make the tournament without winning the BET, are you taking into consideration that if we win 3 more games, it would greatly improve our quality wins total, which is the sole reason we are on the outside looking in. Let's say we beat Marquette, providence, and Villanova/creighton. That will most definitely get us in. That would be 3 quality wins to close out the season.

Seems to me half the people here are of the belief that we have to win the BET to get in and the other half think all we need is 2 wins to get in. I agree with you and think if we beat Marquette, Prov/Xavier, and Nova/Creighton we are in good shape. Anything less and there will be at least one more game at CA this season

If it was up to few people on this board, the johnnies would not get in with a BET title.
can we mark this down as the most idiotic post of the year?

Well I think Needs2go racked up over 100 posts, so it wouldn't even be in the top 100 idiotic posts. And sadly, he is correct in a way. Whether people want to admit it or not, there are posters here who relish in the team's failures.

It's all speculation, but except for maybe Baldi and shurinacheese if we play Iona or Providence, respectively, the posters here want the team to win and be successful.  It's just that some posters here relish in getting a reaction from others when the team loses (and let's face it, there have been a lot of opportunties in that department). 

Tha Kid

« Reply #302 on: March 06, 2014, 10:11:05 AM »
Plenty of time left for some of the bubble teams who have been winning, to lose badly this weekend or early in their conf. tourney.  Similarly, plenty of time for us to look like we did in early Feb again and march to the BET finals (or win it).

Again, 3 consecutive wins (assuming one is against Creighton or Nova) and we are in.  Tourney loves teams that finish strong, and 12-4 in last 16 with multiple top 10-15 wins, is about as strong as a bubble team can finish.  45% of the board thought we could get in with 21 wins, 45% thought BET title or bust, the truth lies with us 10% in the middle.  The only difference being, based on big wins by other bubble teams lately, that kind of finish may only get us into a play-in game rather than in a Thurs/Fri game off the bat.
"I drink and I know things"

« Reply #303 on: March 06, 2014, 12:31:43 PM »
We got some work to do;

Kieran Darcy ‏@KieranDarcy 
Latest Bracketology: St. John's (#SJUBB) drops to sixth among those outside the field. Only three Big East teams in

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/bracketology

« Reply #304 on: March 06, 2014, 12:34:35 PM »
3 more wins.

boo3

« Reply #305 on: March 06, 2014, 01:57:33 PM »
Need to win the BE tournament.   I don't see how just potentially beating Xavier , 1 out of 3 chances, and Nova alone, gets it done. 

We dug a huge hole early in the season that I can't see us getting out of without running the table..  I get all the "what ifs", but , lets be honest here....

nudginator59

• It's better to be a Smart ass then a Dumb shart
« Reply #306 on: March 06, 2014, 03:02:02 PM »
On a positive note we still technically control our own destiny. I do not not want to face Xavier but I think we can beat them. The 1st game we were up at the half and then couldn't score. The second game we were down by a few and couldn't score. The team was just missing easy shots... These games were not the type where we cut the lead to 10 and made the game respectable. I DO NOT WANT FACE THEM!!!! But I do not think beating them is hopeless either.

The team played well their backs were against the wall after an 0-5 start and their backs against the wall again. Hopefully they respond.
Cougar O' Malley

DFF6

« Reply #307 on: March 06, 2014, 03:12:15 PM »
We got some work to do;

Kieran Darcy ‏@KieranDarcy 
Latest Bracketology: St. John's (#SJUBB) drops to sixth among those outside the field. Only three Big East teams in

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/bracketology

Big East looks sad with just 3 bids as compared with the other conferences.  A-10 is killing it with 6 bids. 

This year's bubble looks really tough this year.  No one is helping us.  We need to help ourselves.  While I'd like to think 3 wins is enough, I agree with Boo.  BET champs or bust.

ras

« Reply #308 on: March 06, 2014, 05:47:54 PM »
I think 3 wins will do it, providing 1 is against Villanova or Creighton. That however, is no easy task, but it is doable. CO should be close to 100 percent, and hopefully Sheed will have his head together.

« Reply #309 on: March 06, 2014, 09:36:18 PM »
Dont know how much credibility they have when it comes to bracketology but Rothstein & Borzello still both saying we need to win conference tourney to get in

« Reply #310 on: March 06, 2014, 10:41:15 PM »
I think it depends on who the second BET win is against. If it's Nova/Creighton then we're in. If it's not, then we might have to win the BET.

« Reply #311 on: March 06, 2014, 10:58:54 PM »
Need to win the BE tournament.   I don't see how just potentially beating Xavier , 1 out of 3 chances, and Nova alone, gets it done. 

We dug a huge hole early in the season that I can't see us getting out of without running the table..  I get all the "what ifs", but , lets be honest here....
Being honest boo, I sincerely believe the 65-68 team deal is a disaster.  This year, and future years, there will be multiple teams making the tourney with below .500 conference records.  That used to be the red alert towards most teams that got in under the 64 team tourney.  Now, there's no shame.  It mirrors some of the colleges lowering their standards to keep the tuition bankroll coming in.  I don't like it.  In conclusion, there's still a shot winning next 3 because of all the other middling teams messing up their destiny...

goredmen

« Reply #312 on: March 06, 2014, 11:27:12 PM »

Being honest boo, I sincerely believe the 65-68 team deal is a disaster.  This year, and future years, there will be multiple teams making the tourney with below .500 conference records.  That used to be the red alert towards most teams that got in under the 64 team tourney.  Now, there's no shame.  It mirrors some of the colleges lowering their standards to keep the tuition bankroll coming in.  I don't like it.  In conclusion, there's still a shot winning next 3 because of all the other middling teams messing up their destiny...

It sure is better than that 96 team tournament that the NCAA and the coaches wanted to go to a couple years ago

« Reply #313 on: March 07, 2014, 11:23:51 AM »
I think win 2 and we're in. 

ras

« Reply #314 on: March 07, 2014, 11:41:44 AM »
Possible, but I would really be biting my nails on Selection Sun. We would have to get help w other bubble teams loosing and minimum conference tourney upsets.

« Reply #315 on: March 07, 2014, 11:53:16 AM »

Not with 1 signature win which by the way is looking worse by the day since Creighton keeps losing.  Also, it seems like all the other bubble teams keep winning and beating high quality comp.  If they lose to Mar-curly Q they drop to 6th and if G-town wins I am not sure who wins the tie breaker.  Would the committee really take a 6th place team in a weak conference.

Must win 3 unless we drop to the 7th then in the words of Jake Taylor - "Only one thing to do.  Win the whole flipping thing"

goredmen

« Reply #316 on: March 07, 2014, 02:14:03 PM »

you forgot to add "the NIT" to the end of your comment

« Reply #317 on: March 07, 2014, 02:18:45 PM »
Someone asked Lunardi on twitter if SJU made it to the BE Final would they get in and he said "Probable". I wouldn't ask anyone about the bubble but Lunardi. Dude gets it right every year.

goredmen

« Reply #318 on: March 07, 2014, 02:23:02 PM »
Someone asked Lunardi on twitter if SJU made it to the BE Final would they get in and he said "Probable". I wouldn't ask anyone about the bubble but Lunardi. Dude gets it right every year.

The question was if they won out until the BE final so that includes the MQ game. lose that one and its win the BET or NIT

DFF6

« Reply #319 on: March 07, 2014, 02:24:09 PM »

Agreed, and to his point, 3 wins guarantees nothing other than a stressful selection Sunday.