• 425 replies
Re: Bracketology
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2013, 01:24:26 PM »
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/bracketology

Not in field of 68

Not in last 4 out

Not in next 4 out.

Time for our guys to get to work!

Marquette, Creighton, Nova, and G-Town round out the big east.

I think this is BS. We are #41 in RPI right now and #17 in SOS according to ESPN.  We have NO bad losses (although we have no very good wins either).  Tell me what team was the last to be left out with a 41 rpi and 17 SOS?

There are 11 teams from lower conferences ahead of us on the SOS rankings that simply will not be able to keep up.  According to ESPN, every Big East team but SH is in the top 91 in RPI.  The schools immediately behind us are also from lesser conferences.  We have three non-conference games left and one is against #99 RPI Youngstown State.  Our RPI will be solid, our SOS will be excellent and these guys will be playing their best ball late.

How is it BS, this guy nails almost every team picked every year.

He "nails" it 5 minutes before the bracket is released not in December. He changes his braket a lot even the day of selection Sunday and he has one of the worst records of nailing it compared to other bracketologists.

« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2013, 01:27:50 PM »

Not in field of 68

Not in last 4 out

Not in next 4 out.

I think this is BS. We are #41 in RPI right now and #17 in SOS according to ESPN.  We have NO bad losses (although we have no very good wins either).  Tell me what team was the last to be left out with a 41 rpi and 17 SOS?

There are 11 teams from lower conferences ahead of us on the SOS rankings that simply will not be able to keep up.  According to ESPN, every Big East team but SH is in the top 91 in RPI.  The schools immediately behind us are also from lesser conferences.  We have three non-conference games left and one is against #99 RPI Youngstown State.  Our RPI will be solid, our SOS will be excellent and these guys will be playing their best ball late.

I highly doubt he nails nearly all tourney teams in December.

CC

« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2013, 01:54:47 PM »

Not in field of 68

Not in last 4 out

Not in next 4 out.

He is doing it as of right now, and right now STJ isn't a tourney team. So how is it BS

DFF6

« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2013, 02:47:55 PM »

Not in field of 68

Not in last 4 out

Not in next 4 out.

He is doing it as of right now, and right now STJ isn't a tourney team. So how is it BS

The key is, "as of right now", we are 3 months away from selection sunday.  If the selection committee met today, SJU would probably not make the cut, but they are not, so who cares?  We just need to win, and Lunardi will notice us.

« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2013, 03:02:11 PM »

Not in field of 68

Not in last 4 out

Not in next 4 out.

Because he's trying to predict the field of 68 in December. 0 conference games have been played. It's a pointless, meaningless prediction.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2013, 03:03:32 PM by redstorm212 »

TONYD3

« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2013, 04:39:46 PM »
It is pointless . But I wish I had his job

paultzman

« Reply #26 on: January 01, 2014, 11:12:11 AM »
Just  to add to holiday angst!  At least we can get revenge over Penn State in this scenario. Keep your sense of humor guys;

@nybuckets: St. John's a two seed, Princeton a six seed in my first look at NIT Bracketogy. http://t.co/LluBM0in94
« Last Edit: January 01, 2014, 11:12:43 AM by paultzman »

bk8664

« Reply #27 on: January 01, 2014, 11:20:24 AM »
Just  to add to holiday angst!  At least we can get revenge over Penn State in this scenario. Keep your sense of humor guys;

@nybuckets: St. John's a two seed, Princeton a six seed in my first look at NIT Bracketogy. http://t.co/LluBM0in94

Yuck

« Reply #28 on: January 01, 2014, 11:24:00 AM »
Almost time for Massielo

paultzman

« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2014, 04:22:12 PM »
@StJohnsBBall: #SJUBB's official RPI today is 56, per @ncaastats: http://t.co/FR4Ik5NbE7

paultzman

« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2014, 11:51:30 AM »
@StJohnsBBall: #SJUBB's official RPI as of today is 75, per @NCAAStats. SOS is 37.

hnk

« Reply #31 on: February 03, 2014, 12:15:32 PM »
We win our next two...definitely back on the bubble....and just wait till next year!

desco80

« Reply #32 on: February 03, 2014, 12:28:39 PM »
We win our next two...definitely back on the bubble....and just wait till next year!

Is this going to be your new slogan?    Because I think it might make me sick.   The wounds are still fresh HNK.   
I don't want to hear about next year in the first week of February.   

« Reply #33 on: February 03, 2014, 12:34:39 PM »
According to KenPom and a little math, we have a 9.9% chance of winning the next two and a 53.1% chance of winning 1 of the next 2.

Winning 1 of the next 2, then 2 of the following 3 (@SH, Gtown, Butler) is optimistic but completely within reason.  That would put us at 6-8 with 4 games left.  Get there, and I think the bracketology conversation becomes real but still a long shot. 

In my view, best case scenario is 9-9 in conference.  Making the BET championship after that would put us firmly on the bubble.  In short, if we trip up at all in the next 5 games, the only path to the tournament is the automatic bid. 

Moose

« Reply #34 on: February 03, 2014, 12:52:05 PM »

Is this going to be your new slogan?    Because I think it might make me sick.   The wounds are still fresh HNK.   
I don't want to hear about next year in the first week of February.   

Well now that beloved Wisky has hit the skids something new is needed.
Remember who broke the Slice news

hnk

« Reply #35 on: February 03, 2014, 02:10:37 PM »
Well that would be
 1) Ohio State lost to Penn St.

2) Coach deserves a contract extension 

3) We are genuinely playing better 

4) I said I was thinking about switching to OSNA, Columbia or Creighton 

5) NCAA's here we come 

6) If you guys are tired, take a nap.....if you are sick, go see a doctor. 

7) I think it's fun watching the team develop and get better

8) And just wait til next year!  (moose, I think I'll start a thread)

goredmen

« Reply #36 on: February 03, 2014, 02:11:59 PM »
According to KenPom and a little math, we have a 9.9% chance of winning the next two and a 53.1% chance of winning 1 of the next 2.

Winning 1 of the next 2, then 2 of the following 3 (@SH, Gtown, Butler) is optimistic but completely within reason.  That would put us at 6-8 with 4 games left.  Get there, and I think the bracketology conversation becomes real but still a long shot. 

In my view, best case scenario is 9-9 in conference.  Making the BET championship after that would put us firmly on the bubble.  In short, if we trip up at all in the next 5 games, the only path to the tournament is the automatic bid. 

There is no way going 9-9 and then 2-1 in the BET gives us a shot at the tourney even if the bubble is weak this year. I think 10-8 and 2-1 gets us in the conversation but still leaves us out. Dont forget we still have exactly 0 good win. Sunday vs Creighton is a chance for win but thinking we are going to win at Nova is incredibly optimistic. Say we knock one of them off in the BET and that will give us 2 good wins on selection Sunday. 2 good wins all season = NIT

paultzman

« Reply #37 on: February 03, 2014, 02:14:15 PM »
BT making sense;

@BrandonTierney: @smalley35 Can St. John's win the BE tourney? Yes. At-large talk is utterly unrealistic right now. Beat Providence, Creighton...then dream.

« Reply #38 on: February 03, 2014, 02:17:38 PM »
I have them in my field.  Check me out at IdreamofBrackets.com

desco80

« Reply #39 on: February 03, 2014, 07:51:29 PM »
Well that would be
 1) Ohio State lost to Penn St.

2) Coach deserves a contract extension 

3) We are genuinely playing better 

4) I said I was thinking about switching to OSNA, Columbia or Creighton 

5) NCAA's here we come 

6) If you guys are tired, take a nap.....if you are sick, go see a doctor. 

7) I think it's fun watching the team develop and get better

8) And just wait til next year!  (moose, I think I'll start a thread)

Did anyone mention that they don't enjoy watching the team get better?     But hey, don't let reality effect your talking points... keep knocking down that straw-man.

Nobody said we aren't getting better, but if you watch a team open conference play 0-5, and the thought that crosses your mind is "hey, that coach deserves an extension" ,  well then you need to put the glue down and crack open a window.   
And we might be good next season, that's true, but it's not even March, and we were supposed to be somewhat good this season.   Can we live in the present a bit?

By turning the page to next season already you're whitewashing the massacre that happened in January.   And let's not kid ourselves, it was pretty ugly for awhile.