Bracketology

• 425 replies
Re: Bracketology
« Reply #160 on: February 22, 2014, 11:45:01 PM »
Mizzou lost to a bad Alabama team. Johnnies getting help.

Tha Kid

« Reply #161 on: February 23, 2014, 08:26:43 AM »
In my time as a fan I can only really remember one year where we were truly a bubble team. Shelton Jones, Boo Harvey, Porter team won I think 18 games and got in as a low seed. I remember being nervous selection Sunday. Every other year we were either def in or def out. Am I missing another year?

Hattens first year was a 9 seed but dont remember being that nervous on selection sunday.  I was nervous felipes senior year even though we werent a bubble team only because it seemed that nothing good could happen to that team.
"I drink and I know things"

« Reply #162 on: February 23, 2014, 10:02:07 AM »
In my time as a fan I can only really remember one year where we were truly a bubble team. Shelton Jones, Boo Harvey, Porter team won I think 18 games and got in as a low seed. I remember being nervous selection Sunday. Every other year we were either def in or def out. Am I missing another year?

Hattens first year was a 9 seed but dont remember being that nervous on selection sunday.  I was nervous felipes senior year even though we werent a bubble team only because it seemed that nothing good could happen to that team.

I was thinking Felipe team too but I think we got in as a 7.

paultzman

« Reply #163 on: February 23, 2014, 10:08:19 AM »
@ESPNLunardi: 43-Byu, 44-StJohn, 45-Tenn, 46-Prov, 47-OkSt, 48-HARV, 49-GB, 50-NDST, 51-TOL, 52-SFA, 53-DEL, 54-IONA, 55-BELM, 56-MERC, 57-MTSU, 58-BU.

Latest Lunardi seed list.

« Reply #164 on: February 23, 2014, 10:17:21 AM »
They're close if not in the First Four, need to win these last three games.

TONYD3

« Reply #165 on: February 23, 2014, 10:32:38 AM »
I wouldn't mind playing in the opening round. Think our guys would get up for it.

Tiger

« Reply #166 on: February 23, 2014, 10:35:24 AM »
  Remaining Games:

SJU - Xavier, Depaul, Marquette  (2 dog fights and a comfortable win - really need 3 wins)

Providence - Butler, Seton Hall, Marquette, Creighton  (two easy wins, two dog fights and one probable loss)

Marquette - Gtown, Nova, Providence, SJU (probable loss to Nova, and 3 dog fights)  that's a tough road.

Xavier - SJU,  Seton Hall, Nova, Creighton (one comfortable win, one dog fight and two probable losses)

LoganK

« Reply #167 on: February 23, 2014, 10:51:33 AM »
  Remaining Games:

SJU - Xavier, Depaul, Marquette  (2 dog fights and a comfortable win - really need 3 wins)

Providence - Butler, Seton Hall, Marquette, Creighton  (two easy wins, two dog fights and one probable loss)

Marquette - Gtown, Nova, Providence, SJU (probable loss to Nova, and 3 dog fights)  that's a tough road.

Xavier - SJU,  Seton Hall, Nova, Creighton (one comfortable win, one dog fight and two probable losses)

Don't forget Georgetown: @Marquette, vs. Creighton, @Nova

Extremely tough last three, but can make lots of noise with wins.

« Reply #168 on: February 23, 2014, 11:20:46 AM »
According to linardi math per espn, that should put us a non play in 11 seed unless I read incorrectly on espn

paultzman

« Reply #169 on: February 23, 2014, 03:12:19 PM »

"Tournament chances remain good: After Saturday’s loss, a number of so-called experts said St. John’s now needs to win the Big East tournament, a notion I find ludicrous.
Before the Villanova game, I felt the Johnnies had to win three of their four games to assure themselves of an at-large berth. Nothing has changed. If St. John’s wins out, beats Butler and DePaul at home and Marquette on the road, they will likely finish third in the conference, which in my opinion would assure Lavin’s team of a spot in the field of 68 despite just one win over a top 50 RPI opponent. ESPN’s Joe Lunardi, known for his accurate mock Bracketology, has the Johnnies in as of now. The Big East is getting at least three teams, and most likely four, if not five, teams in the Big Dance.
Win two of the last three, and St. John’s has to play well in the conference tournament. Point is, the Red Storm have a manageable schedule. They control their own destiny."

http://nypost.com/2014/02/23/st-johns-rewind-six-game-win-streak-snapped-by-villanova/

goredmen

« Reply #170 on: February 23, 2014, 03:20:09 PM »
We are currently 28th in the KenPom rankings ahead of teams that have already secured at large resumes like New Mex, Gonzaga, Oklahoma, Texas, GW, Memphis, KState, Umass, Cal, etc. If we dont get in we will probably among the highest ranked reams not to get in since KenPom has started his rankings in 2001

« Reply #171 on: February 23, 2014, 03:53:23 PM »

"Tournament chances remain good: After Saturday’s loss, a number of so-called experts said St. John’s now needs to win the Big East tournament, a notion I find ludicrous.
Before the Villanova game, I felt the Johnnies had to win three of their four games to assure themselves of an at-large berth. Nothing has changed. If St. John’s wins out, beats Butler and DePaul at home and Marquette on the road, they will likely finish third in the conference, which in my opinion would assure Lavin’s team of a spot in the field of 68 despite just one win over a top 50 RPI opponent. ESPN’s Joe Lunardi, known for his accurate mock Bracketology, has the Johnnies in as of now. The Big East is getting at least three teams, and most likely four, if not five, teams in the Big Dance.
Win two of the last three, and St. John’s has to play well in the conference tournament. Point is, the Red Storm have a manageable schedule. They control their own destiny."

http://nypost.com/2014/02/23/st-johns-rewind-six-game-win-streak-snapped-by-villanova/

I saw Jon rothstein say "we need to win tourney to get in". To me that's crazy.  Win 3 to close out season and win one in tourney would put us in.  IMO, we are competing with our own conference for the tourney.  I believe, the big 12 with teams like Baylor, wvu and ok st will knock each out or put one or 2 teams in but not all 3 like linardi has close to tourney now.  Same with Sec and big 10.  Actually I think winning 2 this week and one win in big east tourney, makes us a lock.   I really believe we will be getting to finals of big east and I think we have not seen last of nova.

hnk

« Reply #172 on: February 23, 2014, 04:03:51 PM »
Competing w our own conference is particularly true where everyone plays everyone else twice....a pretty fair fight...does committee take into account injuries and births?
« Last Edit: February 23, 2014, 04:04:27 PM by hnk »

« Reply #173 on: February 23, 2014, 05:24:23 PM »
The CBS guy doesn't even have us on the bubble. If they win their last three games which will be tough but manageable, they will have 21 wins, if they win one in the BET that takes them to the semifinals, they'd have to be in.

With that said right now they have as good a shot as any to even win the BET.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2014, 05:25:25 PM by HowCouldUBeSoHarkless »

nudginator59

• It's better to be a Smart ass then a Dumb shart
« Reply #174 on: February 23, 2014, 06:51:08 PM »
ESPN had is earlier today in Sports center as first four in.
Cougar O' Malley

Poison

« Reply #175 on: February 23, 2014, 07:16:16 PM »
We battled Nove for  40 minutes. We should still be in. The committee respects teams that are competing hard, even in losses. Look at our last two losses. Overall, we played pretty well in both.

This makes 11 straight games where we came to play. IMO, we need 4 more wins including the BE tourney before selection sunday to earn an at large bid. Depending on how the BE seeds roll out, we could have a path that works in our favor more so than any season that I can remember. We can either play with, or beat any team in the league at MSG.

If there's a sleeper team to bet on for the BE, it's goat be us.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2014, 07:19:37 PM by Poison »

Poison

« Reply #176 on: February 23, 2014, 07:18:14 PM »

I saw Jon rothstein say "we need to win tourney to get in". To me that's crazy.  Win 3 to close out season and win one in tourney would put us in.  IMO, we are competing with our own conference for the tourney.  I believe, the big 12 with teams like Baylor, wvu and ok st will knock each out or put one or 2 teams in but not all 3 like linardi has close to tourney now.  Same with Sec and big 10.  Actually I think winning 2 this week and one win in big east tourney, makes us a lock.   I really believe we will be getting to finals of big east and I think we have not seen last of nova.

Rothstein is crazy.

TONYD3

« Reply #177 on: February 23, 2014, 07:27:30 PM »
We battled Nove for  40 minutes. We should still be in. The committee respects teams that are competing hard, even in losses. Look at our last two losses. Overall, we played pretty well in both.

This makes 11 straight games where we came to play. IMO, we need 4 more wins including the BE tourney before selection sunday to earn an at large bid. Depending on how the BE seeds roll out, we could have a path that works in our favor more so than any season that I can remember. We can either play with, or beat any team in the league at MSG.

If there's a sleeper team to bet on for the BE, it's goat be us.
Providence is a sleeper team. Think we are one if the favorites. Want the 3 seed. Want to beat creightion again.

Marillac

« Reply #178 on: February 23, 2014, 09:47:33 PM »
Anyone that thinks we need to win the Big East is so far off they should never be listened to on this matter for years--if ever.
We are 44 now and take a look at the teams ahead of us...it's not exactly murderer's row.  Teams will lose and fall.  We can put ourselves ahead of Xavier with a win--and they will lose at least two more--and we can use the Marquette game as an RPI springboard.  A single win in the B.E.T. gives us two neutral court games against top 100 RPI teams and will bolster the S.O.S. 

We've gone toe to toe with some of the best teams in the country...the committee and the rest of the country have taken note.  What #1 seed wants to play this team in the second round?  We are on a 9-2 tear, with two losses coming by a single shot (one banked in) to top ten teams ON THE ROAD.

Win the next three, finish third, and we are in.  Win a game in the B.E.T. for insurance and a better seed.  Win the whole damn things and we are an eight seed.

Marillac

« Reply #179 on: February 23, 2014, 09:48:52 PM »
Mizzou lost to a bad Alabama team. Johnnies getting help.

This also helps indirectly as Xavier beat Alabama in Alabama.