Max in the rotation?

• 68 replies

Tha Kid

Re: Max in the rotation?
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2014, 10:52:55 AM »
For max to be successful he would have to get open. We do nothing to get him open. He does little to get himself open. He is a huge decoy. Didn't watch the end of the game . So I don't know what he did. I know he played well vs penn. St. Think he played to long in that game .ga tech the next game was ready for him. He didn't do much .
He can hit shots if he is wide open. Don't expect him to get open though. Would be like playing 4vs 4.

Well on another thread less that 48 hours ago you said he should not even be on scholarship...

+1
"I drink and I know things"

« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2014, 11:00:06 AM »
I would bet a dollar to a donut that Max starts on Saturday, if for no other reason than hitting 4 threes the other day makes him the "Flavor of the Week"

For all we know he might start you

« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2014, 11:08:22 AM »
give this kid 30 minutes and he'll give u 15 a game and open the lane for everyone else.  sick and tire of watching the gang who couldn't shoot straight year after year.

hnk

« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2014, 11:10:39 AM »
FWIW Nova can easily make 10plus threes a game....we'll need something different/extra to keep up.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2014, 11:11:27 AM by hnk »

TONYD3

« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2014, 12:52:40 PM »
For max to be successful he would have to get open. We do nothing to get him open. He does little to get himself open. He is a huge decoy. Didn't watch the end of the game . So I don't know what he did. I know he played well vs penn. St. Think he played to long in that game .ga tech the next game was ready for him. He didn't do much .
He can hit shots if he is wide open. Don't expect him to get open though. Would be like playing 4vs 4.

Well on another thread less that 48 hours ago you said he should not even be on scholarship...

+1
Stand by  that. If he starts Saturday Nova will be ready. He will stand in the corner with a man on him at all times, play 4 minutes maybe get a contested 3 off and leave to sit the remaining of the 1st half with 0 points and 0 rebounds. Guys at new york sports club can hit open 3's also. Hope I am wrong not rooting against him. He played well against penn. st. Besides that he hasnt shown anything. I dont care what happened in the second half saturday game was long over.

« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2014, 01:15:47 PM »

+1
Stand by  that. If he starts Saturday Nova will be ready. He will stand in the corner with a man on him at all times, play 4 minutes maybe get a contested 3 off and leave to sit the remaining of the 1st half with 0 points and 0 rebounds. Guys at new york sports club can hit open 3's also. Hope I am wrong not rooting against him. He played well against penn. st. Besides that he hasnt shown anything. I dont care what happened in the second half saturday game was long over.

even if ur right...thats one less man clogging the middle for our slashers.  let this kid play...we have nothing to lose.

TONYD3

« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2014, 02:03:46 PM »
I hope he plays and hits 5 3's in 1st half. He plays the same position as Sampson and pointer . I would rather play them. I really don't care who plays as long as we win

« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2014, 02:12:16 PM »
if he is going to be on the floor, you'll need jordan, harrison, sampson, and sanchez in there too.  you need offensive threats at all other positions to give hooper the ability to spot up.

« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2014, 02:13:29 PM »
If you are going to put a one dimensional player like Hooper into a rotation you have to commit to it. You have to make the players aware to look for him and you also have to help him out. Also you can't yank a shooter after a miss. Lavin does not seem to have the inclination or ability to do this. If you notice he does not only get pulled after a miss but if things start to go bad with him on the floor even if it is not his fault he gets yanked.

To be clear I am not sure Hooper deserves to be in a rotation but unless Lavin completely changes his thought process regarding him it is useless to play him the way he does now.

derk

« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2014, 03:44:11 PM »
He should get PT. I don't care how bad he is on defense. Our offense needs him.

He should get enough time so he can melt into the offense without anyone thinking he has to/is going to shoot every time he touches the ball. We all know why he's put in the game, but we need points any way we can get them. Nothing wrong with him knocking down a few 2 pointers to that end.   

pmg911

« Reply #30 on: January 06, 2014, 03:51:56 PM »
if he is going to be on the floor, you'll need jordan, harrison, sampson, and sanchez in there too.  you need offensive threats at all other positions to give hooper the ability to spot up.

If you have him and Harrison on the floor together and teams play zone, you will force them to make choices defensively. If they hedge out to shooters, it creates room and if they don't, our best shooters gets good looks.

Having Pointer on the perimeter does nothing for us against a zone

« Reply #31 on: January 06, 2014, 04:05:40 PM »
He should get PT. I don't care how bad he is on defense. Our offense needs him.

He should get enough time so he can melt into the offense without anyone thinking he has to/is going to shoot every time he touches the ball. We all know why he's put in the game, but we need points any way we can get them. Nothing wrong with him knocking down a few 2 pointers to that end.   

Absolutely agree. Let him, and the team, become comfortable playing together.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

TONYD3

« Reply #32 on: January 06, 2014, 04:19:40 PM »
Would rather try and  get Sampson going from the high post vs a zone. For  him to be  effective we have to commit to him like someone else said. You guys want to sit pointer or Sampson for an extended period of time to play a guy who n one else offered a scholarship to. To commit to him we would have to run plays for him and try to get him open . We don't even do that for Harrison .
Branch hasn't. Looked good.  But  he has talent. Would much  rather see  him at  pg. Harrison and Jordan on wings. Rotate pointer, Sampson, Sanchez , and okekpa at forward . Let Greene spell the wings. Never let him play pg. gift plays when we play abig team . Marco and Felix never play.

« Reply #33 on: January 06, 2014, 04:39:29 PM »
If you are going to put a one dimensional player like Hooper into a rotation you have to commit to it. You have to make the players aware to look for him and you also have to help him out. Also you can't yank a shooter after a miss. Lavin does not seem to have the inclination or ability to do this. If you notice he does not only get pulled after a miss but if things start to go bad with him on the floor even if it is not his fault he gets yanked.

To be clear I am not sure Hooper deserves to be in a rotation but unless Lavin completely changes his thought process regarding him it is useless to play him the way he does now.
+1

pmg911

« Reply #34 on: January 06, 2014, 04:42:27 PM »
To commit to him we would have to run plays for him and try to get him open .

This is where you are wrong...

The kid is such a good shooter and doesn't need a lot of room to get his shot off....   if you put him on one side of a zone you are going to force the defense to know where he is all the time. It creates space for the other guys. You make the other team pick their poison. Defend the guards straight up or collapse and potential give great shooter good looks. If you put him on the floor with Harrison, it can create same situation on both sides of the floor.

Look at what Luke Hancock did for Louisville last year - we don't have the same type of guard play but the concept is the same.

« Reply #35 on: January 06, 2014, 04:46:20 PM »

The kid is such a good shooter and doesn't need a lot of room to get his shot off....   if you put him on one side of a zone you are going to force the defense to know where he is all the time. It creates space for the other guys. You make the other team pick their poison. Defend the guards straight up or collapse and potential give great shooter good looks. If you put him on the floor with Harrison, it can create same situation on both sides of the floor.

Look at what Luke Hancock did for Louisville last year - we don't have the same type of guard play but the concept is the same.

Agree with everything you said pmg but would just like to point out that Hancock can put it on the floor and get to the rim and even finish strong in traffic against bigs.

« Reply #36 on: January 06, 2014, 04:52:18 PM »

Agree with everything you said pmg but would just like to point out that Hancock can put it on the floor and get to the rim and even finish strong in traffic against bigs.

Plus Pitino values three point shooters more than anyone. Lavin seems to like shooters about as much as he does a nice case of shingles.

TONYD3

« Reply #37 on: January 06, 2014, 05:42:08 PM »
Don't think any team would stay in a zone if max played. Think they would keep a guy with him . Stay close to Jordan and Harrison and play off the other two guys begging them to shoot and looking to help on Harrison and Jordan .
If a team stayed in a zone and gave him room I agree he could hit shots. Don't ever seeing anyone allowing that. Maybe if we hAd a post player. Best I think he would be is a great decoy. Hope I am wrong hopefully he kills it Saturday . Think he will play a few hockey shifts and not be much of a factor

Tha Kid

« Reply #38 on: January 06, 2014, 05:48:51 PM »
Don't think any team would stay in a zone if max played. Think they would keep a guy with him . Stay close to Jordan and Harrison and play off the other two guys begging them to shoot and looking to help on Harrison and Jordan .
If a team stayed in a zone and gave him room I agree he could hit shots. Don't ever seeing anyone allowing that. Maybe if we hAd a post player. Best I think he would be is a great decoy. Hope I am wrong hopefully he kills it Saturday . Think he will play a few hockey shifts and not be much of a factor

But don't you get even as a decoy he can do a ton?  If a team changes their D from zone to man simply because Max is out there, then that gives more ability for Harrison, Jordan, Jakarr to create.  It also continues to space the court well for those guys bc, as you say, Nova would keep a guy with him.  Whether or not he helps us in the box score on his own stat line, he can still help immensely by being out there and being considered a threat by our opponent.
"I drink and I know things"

« Reply #39 on: January 06, 2014, 06:06:05 PM »
Agree with PMG about how to utilize Hooper.  Max does a nice job maintaining his own floor spacing through motion.  However we SHOULD have a set play or two where we run him through some down and stagger screens. 

And I definitely agree with we are sju in terms of committing time to Max if he is to be a part of the regular rotation.  If he's going to be part of the plans here, he needs to be given multiple minutes at a time.  It's not fair to anyone (including Max) to put the kid in for 45 seconds and take him out.  This is where role definition comes into play.  Staff needs to give Max a good expectation of when he's going to come into and out of games and for how long.  Gotta play him at least  a couple of minutes at a time to let him get into a rhythm of the game. 

Either play him with a plan to give him a couple of minutes at a time on the floor or don't play him at all.

To play him for 45 seconds at a time is useless, unfair to him and unfair to our team to expect them to play well together with no rhythm built up.
"When excuses become your reason for losing then it is time to find the nearest mirror." -Mike Dunlap