DePaul Game

• 131 replies

Poison

Re: DePaul Game
« Reply #100 on: January 14, 2014, 09:42:18 PM »
Guys, relax. This is all part of the maturation process.

goredmen

« Reply #101 on: January 14, 2014, 09:42:41 PM »
Why the pass to Hooper for a 3 when all we needed was a 2 for the win.  Jordan should have taken it all the way to the basket and hit a layup or draw a foul.
what was he suppose to do with this timeout? What he suppose to do with Rysheed holding the ball as the 24 second clock is winding down and he is frozen. I am sure he set up the play for Sanchez to shoot the three, you guys have to blame somebody.

This one is on the players. You all talk about Hooper how about Achiewa, who played a nice game and Lavin kept in game.
Because Lav over-coached and burned that last timeout for no reason

You're right. Lavin deserves no blame for this one. Its not his fault that Branch only played 2 minutes in the 2nd half despite being the team's best player in the 1st half. Lavin wasn't the one that played Hooper the last 8 minutes even though he contributed literally 0 the entire 2nd half. It's not Lavin's fault that the team went into complete 1 on 1 mode on offense over the last 6 minutes. Not his fault the team still has no idea how to defend any type screen, on the ball or away from the ball. Not his fault that his zone sucks. I can keep going

mkras99

« Reply #102 on: January 14, 2014, 09:43:43 PM »
Just wait til February....2015.

Dan

« Reply #103 on: January 14, 2014, 09:45:13 PM »
At least people here and on rm.com aren't buying into the excuses for years too long like they did with Norm.  Results or out, enough with the excuses and only getting worse.  It's too bad the administration will keep him around for three years too long.

lavin is the reincarnation of lefty driesell
« Reply #104 on: January 14, 2014, 09:48:49 PM »
Game coach not! Can recruit.

« Reply #105 on: January 14, 2014, 09:49:43 PM »
I just...I just can't.

nudginator59

• It's better to be a Smart ass then a Dumb shart
« Reply #106 on: January 14, 2014, 09:50:53 PM »
At least people here and on rm.com aren't buying into the excuses for years too long like they did with Norm.  Results or out, enough with the excuses and only getting worse.  It's too bad the administration will keep him around for three years too long.

SJU still needs to replace Fr. Harington, whenever that might be...just like under Harrington reign basketball will be a low priority for awhile.
Cougar O' Malley

paultzman

« Reply #107 on: January 14, 2014, 09:52:55 PM »
Anxiously waiting for first post from Optimist's Club referencing. SJU still having chance to make NCAAs if we sweep through BE Tourney.

Dan

« Reply #108 on: January 14, 2014, 09:53:24 PM »

SJU still needs to replace Fr. Harington, whenever that might be...just like under Harrington reign basketball will be a low priority for awhile.

It's sad.

What's the worst about all this is that Lavin was the best candidate at the time - even Seth Greenberg didn'r want the job.  So they hired a guy out of the game for years and was fired from his last gig for not being able to coach.  Not sure why they thought years at ESPN would do the trick, but...again, what other options did they have
« Last Edit: January 14, 2014, 09:53:45 PM by Dan »

desco80

« Reply #109 on: January 14, 2014, 09:57:33 PM »

It's sad.

What's the worst about all this is that Lavin was the best candidate at the time - even Seth Greenberg didn'r want the job.  So they hired a guy out of the game for years and was fired from his last gig for not being able to coach.  Not sure why they thought years at ESPN would do the trick, but...again, what other options did they have

See, that's where we differ.   I think Lavin's gotta go after this season.   But I don't think it was a bad hire.   I think it was worth a shot, but it just didn't work out.
But I don't blame the school for hiring Lavin in the first place, he had a resume that suggested he could recruit, be a face for the program, and win some games even if he wasn't known for getting the most out of his teams at UCLA.   He still was a good candidate for the job.

But now it's a few years later, and he's clearly not getting the job done.   There's no value in being stubborn and riding this out for a few more years.

paultzman

« Reply #110 on: January 14, 2014, 10:12:00 PM »
Press going to start being critical?

@KieranDarcy: St. John's season hits a new low with loss to DePaul, including a highly questionable end-of-game lineup: http://t.co/AeBfuvL3UF

nudginator59

• It's better to be a Smart ass then a Dumb shart
« Reply #111 on: January 14, 2014, 10:23:05 PM »

It's sad.

See, that's where we differ.   I think Lavin's gotta go after this season.   But I don't think it was a bad hire.   I think it was worth a shot, but it just didn't work out.
But I don't blame the school for hiring Lavin in the first place, he had a resume that suggested he could recruit, be a face for the program, and win some games even if he wasn't known for getting the most out of his teams at UCLA.   He still was a good candidate for the job.

But now it's a few years later, and he's clearly not getting the job done.   There's no value in being stubborn and riding this out for a few more years.

I agree it was a good hire...the other coaches that declined to come to SJU are not really doing anything. What MAY scare coaches is the program is where their careers comes to die. Fran, Jarvis, and Roberts have all flamed out.

What Lavin has done is bring a buzz and a face to an historically great program. He has the charisma to succeed and make SJU relevant in NYC, but the wins are not coming.

I still say wait until the end if the year because this team has been improving every year...if he can do something this year, he would have continued moving the program in the right direction.
Cougar O' Malley

« Reply #112 on: January 14, 2014, 10:23:38 PM »
Press going to start being critical?

@KieranDarcy: St. John's season hits a new low with loss to DePaul, including a highly questionable end-of-game lineup: http://t.co/AeBfuvL3UF

Doubt it makes much of a difference.  2 big factors in the way: (a) SJU still doesn't have a university president (b) SJU might have the worst athletic director in college sports.

The university will let Lavin coach his seniors (i.e. Harrison, Greene, Pointer, Branch) and make a decision at that point.

« Reply #113 on: January 14, 2014, 10:24:13 PM »
Why the pass to Hooper for a 3 when all we needed was a 2 for the tie.  Jordan should have taken it all the way to the basket and hit a layup or draw a foul.

What are the chances that's exactly what the used car salesman drew up in their final timeout

« Reply #114 on: January 14, 2014, 11:00:57 PM »
Why the pass to Hooper for a 3 when all we needed was a 2 for the tie.  Jordan should have taken it all the way to the basket and hit a layup or draw a foul.

What are the chances that's exactly what the used car salesman drew up in their final timeout

During the timeout before the Sanchez 3 from the corner Lavin didn't use a whiteboard, I can tell you that.
"When excuses become your reason for losing then it is time to find the nearest mirror." -Mike Dunlap

goredmen

« Reply #115 on: January 14, 2014, 11:04:03 PM »

During the timeout before the Sanchez 3 from the corner Lavin didn't use a whiteboard, I can tell you that.

He has a whiteboard?

« Reply #116 on: January 14, 2014, 11:26:47 PM »
Anxiously waiting for first post from Optimist's Club referencing. SJU still having chance to make NCAAs if we sweep through BE Tourney.

Lavs did say we were going to mesh by february....

« Reply #117 on: January 14, 2014, 11:33:33 PM »
Also, got a question for anybody thats in the know: What is Keady's role in all of this? Does he not really contribute all that much, or does Lavin ignore it? You would think that having a somewhat legendary coach by your side, easy to fix "blunders" would not be happening time and time again. At least Keady's ability to look at various players and tell Lav's that they aren't contributing.

« Reply #118 on: January 15, 2014, 12:58:53 AM »
This season has been very disappointing thus far.   :'(

« Reply #119 on: January 15, 2014, 02:54:44 AM »
It's beginning to look a lot like the Norm Roberts ERROR!  ::)   For those saying Lavin isn't going anywhere that's what some continued to maintain about Norm. If things continue to go south and recruiting falls off Lavin may leave of his own accord to spare the embarrassment of being a BE bottom feeder. Of course he will spin leaving in his own inimitable way. Lavin is a born salesman who came out of the womb selling umbilical cords and bottled afterbirth!