Head Coaching Job

• 44 replies

uwsfan

Re: Head Coaching Job
« Reply #40 on: January 15, 2014, 08:50:38 PM »
Lavin will not get fired. Lavin should not get fired! Norm was given 6 years, then Lavin should be given at least 10 years. Now Lavin quitting would not shock me. However if he leaves after a season where we go say 13-18 or something like that then he would probbaly never get another coaching job if that is what he chooses to do.

A more likely scenerio is a couple kids transfer after this season thus shortening the rotations for Lavin by necessity. With less tinkering to do and a senior laden team Lavin gets the team into the tourney. After next season I could then see Lavin walking off into the sunset, but at least the next coach would be taking over a tourney team, albeit one that would be in rebuilding mode.

Agree he won't be fired, but could choose to leave. If that plays out, the new coach will probably have a sparse roster after next season,  if my instincts about a less than stellar 14 & 15 recruiting haul are correct. Clearly, if season is not turned around, that will not be a positive in getting Briscoes & Diallos of the world. Not "doomed", but perhaps on heels of new rebuilding plan. It just feels there is something very strange going on here or maybe I am overreacting.

I dont want to be a troll, but do you know who could come in tomorrow and still land Briscoe and Diallo?  Orlando A

I have two pet peeves regarding sju: give Branch an opportunity to play nearly a full game; and make Antigua a canidate in the next coaching search, whenever that may be.

I think a guy like Danny Hurley could also have a good chance of landing Diallo and Briscoe.
Just not comfortable with an unproven assistant. You never know if he is really a good X&O guy. There is a danger that you hire the guy only to realize later that his high value was obviously in his recruiting ability because he cant actually coach. Johnny Dawkins at Stanford is a current example. Steve Lavin himself is an example of this.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 08:53:01 PM by uwsfan »

ras

« Reply #41 on: January 15, 2014, 09:02:25 PM »
I know Moose says Dunlap isn't coming. You can't expect him to go from NBA head coach to college assistant. I wonder if he would I come here for the HC job. I would take Dunlap in a heartbeat.

« Reply #42 on: January 15, 2014, 09:04:29 PM »
Lavin will not get fired. Lavin should not get fired! Norm was given 6 years, then Lavin should be given at least 10 years. Now Lavin quitting would not shock me. However if he leaves after a season where we go say 13-18 or something like that then he would probbaly never get another coaching job if that is what he chooses to do.

A more likely scenerio is a couple kids transfer after this season thus shortening the rotations for Lavin by necessity. With less tinkering to do and a senior laden team Lavin gets the team into the tourney. After next season I could then see Lavin walking off into the sunset, but at least the next coach would be taking over a tourney team, albeit one that would be in rebuilding mode.

Agree he won't be fired, but could choose to leave. If that plays out, the new coach will probably have a sparse roster after next season,  if my instincts about a less than stellar 14 & 15 recruiting haul are correct. Clearly, if season is not turned around, that will not be a positive in getting Briscoes & Diallos of the world. Not "doomed", but perhaps on heels of new rebuilding plan. It just feels there is something very strange going on here or maybe I am overreacting.

I dont want to be a troll, but do you know who could come in tomorrow and still land Briscoe and Diallo?  Orlando A

I have two pet peeves regarding sju: give Branch an opportunity to play nearly a full game; and make Antigua a canidate in the next coaching search, whenever that may be.

I think a guy like Danny Hurley could also have a good chance of landing Diallo and Briscoe.
Just not comfortable with an unproven assistant. You never know if he is really a good X&O guy. There is a danger that you hire the guy only to realize later that his high value was obviously in his recruiting ability because he cant actually coach. Johnny Dawkins at Stanford is a current example. Steve Lavin himself is an example of this.

No better example than Norm Roberts who was the hot assistant at an elite progra,

Moose

« Reply #43 on: January 16, 2014, 08:31:48 AM »
I know Moose says Dunlap isn't coming. You can't expect him to go from NBA head coach to college assistant. I wonder if he would I come here for the HC job. I would take Dunlap in a heartbeat.

Dunlap is not cut out to be a HC IMO.  Not in the NBA and not in college at a high D1 level.  His skills are best used as an assistant and there is nothing wrong with that.  Everyone needs to fill defined roles.
Remember who broke the Slice news

NYCoffey

« Reply #44 on: January 17, 2014, 10:07:00 AM »
I'm with the majority that feels that Lavin will be back next year, but does anyone think they will clean house of all the assistants at years end and hire a whole new set of assistants? I know Lavin is the main culprit here, but its not just the in game coaching that's been horrible. None of these players seem to be getting any better and a good part of that falls on Hines , Whitesell, etc.  Kind of like what the Giants did because of their love for Coughlin, I could see them getting rid of all his assts.  and I would be all for that. I just wouldn't want Lavin to be the end all on who comes in. Other wise we will have a bunch of ex UCLA players as assistants.