Contract Extension

• 220 replies

Dan

Re: Contract Extension
« Reply #100 on: February 06, 2014, 01:45:19 AM »
like I've been saying, anything less than the tournament is a disappointment and even with some wins they're not in the picture with the terrible start...but if they keep winning, there's a chance.  creighton is a huge one for them.

SJUFAN

« Reply #101 on: February 06, 2014, 09:52:17 AM »
Coach Lavin is building a program....there have been and will be setbacks along the way....two steps forward one step back ---that's the way it works.    Team is getting better and better.  New wrinkles added as we go.   Kids seem to like each other and the program.  Hasn't been afraid to make some tough decisions.  They are fun to watch develop.   

Everyone is glad the team is playing better, but it's February: the team's best win is against Providence; they aren't on pace for the NCAAs; and have no recruits signed.   That doesn't feel like a program is being built.

It takes time for the talent to develop. Our most talented players are sophomores' and a Freshman. You can see them improving as the year progresses. I believe once JS and Obekpa are seniors they will be really good. Even though we will lose Sanchez and Gift next year, we will be a better team because JS, CO, and RJ will be that much better. Posters have said that JS has regressed, I disagree. Although his numbers are down from last year, the form on his shot has improved drastically. He is working to become a better player and it doesn't happen over one summer. Providence is good because of their seniors, Creighton is good because of their senior. Our best players are still developing. Be patient, Lavin is taking us in the right direction.

That is a gigantic pile of garbage. It takes time? Time is up. These guys are seniors and juniors. Enough already. This is a veteran team. Norm used to pull this shit w us. With Lavin, it's worse bec he's been able to recruit, and it only makes him look more incompetent as a coach.  The biggest disappointment this season isn't a player, or their obvious lack of improvement. It's Lavin's clear inability to establish a system. What kind of offense do we run? What kind of defense do we play? He can't make up his mind, and that's why I want him gone.

He thinks what he's doing is the way get us there? Then fine, but he better f'n do it, or get the f out of my city. He can spew his BS in LA, where everyone is a pretender. If Lavin needs to hire someone to handle the Xs and Os, because he can't do it, WTF does he do during a game? Brush his hair?

We run a system. Just because you don't know what it is doesn't mean we don't. The problem isn't the system. We have to execute, we get good looks most of the time, just need to make the shot. If we fail to make a shot doesn't mean we don't run a system. If a player has a good look at the basket and doesn't take the shot or move the ball timely its not the system.

Our best players are JS, CO, and RJ, none of whom are upper classmen. If you cant see there development that's on you, doesn't mean its not happening. I'm disappointed in the season thus far, and Lavin does have to take some blame for that, but to say the program isn't improving based on one disappointing year is not an accurate assessment.

desco80

« Reply #102 on: February 06, 2014, 10:21:39 AM »
Coach Lavin is building a program....there have been and will be setbacks along the way....two steps forward one step back ---that's the way it works.    Team is getting better and better.  New wrinkles added as we go.   Kids seem to like each other and the program.  Hasn't been afraid to make some tough decisions.  They are fun to watch develop.   

Everyone is glad the team is playing better, but it's February: the team's best win is against Providence; they aren't on pace for the NCAAs; and have no recruits signed.   That doesn't feel like a program is being built.

It takes time for the talent to develop. Our most talented players are sophomores' and a Freshman. You can see them improving as the year progresses. I believe once JS and Obekpa are seniors they will be really good. Even though we will lose Sanchez and Gift next year, we will be a better team because JS, CO, and RJ will be that much better. Posters have said that JS has regressed, I disagree. Although his numbers are down from last year, the form on his shot has improved drastically. He is working to become a better player and it doesn't happen over one summer. Providence is good because of their seniors, Creighton is good because of their senior. Our best players are still developing. Be patient, Lavin is taking us in the right direction.
I do agree that when those guys are seniors they will be better players than they are now.  But that same theory suggests they should've been better this year than last.
Everyone gave that rationale of players improving with time and experience as a reason why we should be much improved this year.   And our record says we're no better than last year, if anything they're in a slightly worse position. 
Don't you remember everyone saying that D'angelo, Dom, Phil would have 3 years of experience and only be better than last year; that Jakarr and Obekpa would be bigger and stronger with a year of weight training under their belt?
And we're about the same.  Even with the additions of more experience;  Jordan; and Sanchez. 

So I think there's more to it than letting the players just naturally develop and assuming we'll be better down the road.   To some extent you have to wonder if they'd be developing more under a different system/staff/philosophy.   I think that's a legitimate question to ask, without throwing the program under the bus or giving up on anything.      But let's see how things play out.   Maybe January really was just a stretch of bad luck and unfortunate circumstances and the program is on the right track.   
« Last Edit: February 06, 2014, 10:26:07 AM by desco80 »

« Reply #103 on: February 06, 2014, 10:41:45 AM »
There was no "bad luck"  It was an inability to execute plain and simple.

« Reply #104 on: February 06, 2014, 10:50:36 AM »

What century are you living in? Almost from the minute these guys arrive on campus and are talking about leaving for the nba. If you are recruiting at the level we are you cannot rely on players to stay for 4 years. See Mo Harkless, Jakarr almost leaving last year and Karr. CO, and Sheed looking to bolt as soon as possible.

« Reply #105 on: February 06, 2014, 10:59:29 AM »

That's how it works?  They why do teams with winning records have losing records the following year?  By your account, the program went down the tubes in the late 80s and never recovered.

Foad

« Reply #106 on: February 06, 2014, 11:33:51 AM »
Our best players are JS, CO, and RJ, none of whom are upper classmen.

Wow, our fourth best player is first team all BE. We must be really good.

Moose

« Reply #107 on: February 06, 2014, 11:34:34 AM »

:)
Remember who broke the Slice news

SJUFAN

« Reply #108 on: February 06, 2014, 11:43:26 AM »
Don't you remember everyone saying that D'angelo, Dom, Phil would have 3 years of experience and only be better than last year; that Jakarr and Obekpa would be bigger and stronger with a year of weight training under their belt?
And we're about the same.  Even with the additions of more experience;  Jordan; and Sanchez.     

My assessment of Dom, D'lo and Greene is that they topped out in HS. There game is what it is, they will get stronger, but there game is not going to improve much year over year. Jordan and Sanchez have never played at this level, they help our depth, not our experience.

I believe JS and CO game has improved vastly and if they continue, will be very good as upper classmen. This is a team game however, and there individual development has not translated to wins. Much of that is on Lavin and his 13 man rotation and refusal to play his best players the majority of the minutes. If he sticks to a 8-9 man rotation we will see a better team.

« Reply #109 on: February 06, 2014, 11:50:42 AM »
I believe JS and CO game has improved vastly

Yeah since the end of January because they were both playing way below par for whatever reasons and now they have both strung along a nice run of games.

SJUFAN

« Reply #110 on: February 06, 2014, 11:53:18 AM »

I'm projecting a bit. I believe JS, CO, and RJ will be better players than D'lo, there contributions to the team will be harder to replace than D'lo. D'lo is currently our best scorer, but he is not an effecient scorer.

« Reply #111 on: February 06, 2014, 12:20:18 PM »

I'm projecting a bit. I believe JS, CO, and RJ will be better players than D'lo, there contributions to the team will be harder to replace than D'lo. D'lo is currently our best scorer, but he is not an effecient scorer.

D'lo is our best player and I'm really not sure it's even close. Can't even imagine our record without him.

Moose

« Reply #112 on: February 06, 2014, 12:35:54 PM »

D'lo is our best player and I'm really not sure it's even close. Can't even imagine our record without him.

Phil Greene is our best player.
Lets move on.
Remember who broke the Slice news

SJUFAN

« Reply #113 on: February 06, 2014, 03:03:00 PM »

Right now yes he is, and he will probably go down as one of the all time great SJU players. If I had to choose one out of the four in a must win game today I would choose D'lo, but RJ is very close. But if you asked who would I want for the next 10 years, I would choose those first three. I was thinking who will be better players and that may not really be fair to D'lo because the games are being played today, not the future. 

hnk

« Reply #114 on: February 06, 2014, 03:04:41 PM »
I hope they all get contract extensions and return next year.

« Reply #115 on: February 06, 2014, 03:15:09 PM »
3 words -

Coach Teee Bow

TONYD3

« Reply #116 on: February 06, 2014, 10:36:03 PM »
I hope they all get contract extensions and return next year.
If they get extensions , how much do u get ? Only way u would say that

jr49

« Reply #117 on: February 07, 2014, 02:42:07 PM »

What century are you living in? Almost from the minute these guys arrive on campus and are talking about leaving for the nba. If you are recruiting at the level we are you cannot rely on players to stay for 4 years. See Mo Harkless, Jakarr almost leaving last year and Karr. CO, and Sheed looking to bolt as soon as possible.
CO and Karr can talk all they want about the NBA and leaving and that does not mean that talk is not ridicules. D'lo came in with a sense of self which helped allow him to do his thing. It also might have held him back some because he is right now getting better. Moe was silky smooth right off the bat, and made very few bad , out of control plays. Was Moe described as green as grass? CO and Sampson did come in green as grass and are now becoming less green. Jordan was and is a first year player, also breaking in. I have read stuff here that calls for coach to be run out of Dodge. This team needed work, and player performance has cost us games. I'm not trying to change the mind of any fan that wants Lavin run out of Dodge. Our guys are not polished players, and it shows. Has coach blown a couple of games? Sure. Could a play by a player here or there turned a loss to a win. Yes. That was there for all to see. I also read on one of the 2 boards that as long as Lavin is here he will blow a big game every year. Nice prediction and are you kidding me. Can Self blow a game. Does Williams. This team was not a finished product. The Wall's and K. Irvings do not come here. This team was recruited on the rush. Players who should have been sat down, played 30. From what I read it's best to build up talent to chop coach up. Being a dope, I know he's not a A level coach. This has been a green, mistake prone team. To deny that, and think work not needed into making them a team just not so. Players Gatta Play. 

hnk

« Reply #118 on: February 10, 2014, 12:48:34 AM »
I think he should get a four or five year extension and a bunch of you guys should write letters of apology.

goredmen

« Reply #119 on: February 10, 2014, 01:44:52 AM »
I think he should get a four or five year extension and a bunch of you guys should write letters of apology.

Lol. Hope this is just trolling. As Lavin said himself this team still hasn't accomplished anything. If beating a ranked team at home but still being under. 500 is acceptable then we should go to the NEC