Contract Extension

• 220 replies

Moose

Re: Contract Extension
« Reply #120 on: February 10, 2014, 08:12:32 AM »
I think he should get a four or five year extension and a bunch of you guys should write letters of apology.

Where is the letter of apology for losing to DePaul?  I'd like one for that.  Do I get one too?
Remember who broke the Slice news

desco80

« Reply #121 on: February 10, 2014, 08:52:10 AM »
Or the apology for playing max in a non foul situation that cost us the 1st Providence game. 

I'm happy the team is winning but the criticism was deserved.   

Moose

« Reply #122 on: February 10, 2014, 09:03:17 AM »
We are all happy the team is winning.  Maybe Needs2Go isn't but the rest of us are elated. 

But nobody and I mean nobody deserves an apology for warranted criticism.  And all baiting like these pleas for apologies does is further divide a fan base and pit people in 2 corners. 

paultzman

« Reply #123 on: February 10, 2014, 09:17:10 AM »
We are all happy the team is winning.  Maybe Needs2Go isn't but the rest of us are elated. 

But nobody and I mean nobody deserves an apology for warranted criticism.  And all baiting like these pleas for apologies does is further divide a fan base and pit people in 2 corners. 

Excellent point.

hnk

« Reply #124 on: February 10, 2014, 10:17:06 AM »
People weren't just criticizing...they were calling for Coach's ouster.  I think he deserves a contract extension.  it would be good for the program  which is making great progress and good for recruiting.  No one is obligated to agree with me. 

By the way, I remember a few years ago, Coach apologized for blowing the Fordham game.  that was classy.  Coach's job is to put players in position to win.  he has done that in every game with the exception of Georgetown.

Thank you.  Here's your extension.  Now go and get DelaRosa, Diallo, Govan, and  Briscoe!

« Reply #125 on: February 10, 2014, 11:46:12 AM »
Lock him up until 2020.  That boy good.......
Good and terrible

desco80

« Reply #126 on: February 10, 2014, 12:12:15 PM »
People weren't just criticizing...they were calling for Coach's ouster.  [....]

Honestly HNK, I still think he should be fired after the season.   I look at the talent returning and I feel pretty strongly a different coach would win more games with this team.   

That said, I hope he wins every game for as long as he's the coach.  And I'll obviously cheer for him and the team.   But I think rationale observers can come to the conclusion we would be better off with a different coach. 
But I give him credit, he's kept the team together and put together a string of  strong wins.   This is fun to watch. 

boo3

« Reply #127 on: February 10, 2014, 12:18:14 PM »
 While I do think that hnk is playing the troll a bit here, others stubbornness is what is providing the spark for him.. 

I don't think Lavin is the greatest sideline coach, but I do think he has turned this around and is doing a good job keeping this team together.

Did you hear Sampson after this game? The kids love the guy despite what kind of BS rumors the internet can come up with.  These players love him as will the next group he brings in.

FTR- in no way do I think this program would be better off making a change at the end of the season.. no way.  Just my personal opinion.

Enjoy the games.  There is no chance he gets canned , none whatsoever.   
« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 12:19:02 PM by boo3 »

« Reply #128 on: February 10, 2014, 12:27:47 PM »

Not all the criticism was warranted. And I'm not talking about Needs2Go.

ras

« Reply #129 on: February 10, 2014, 12:46:42 PM »

Honestly HNK, I still think he should be fired after the season.   I look at the talent returning and I feel pretty strongly a different coach would win more games with this team.   

That said, I hope he wins every game for as long as he's the coach.  And I'll obviously cheer for him and the team.   But I think rationale observers can come to the conclusion we would be better off with a different coach. 
But I give him credit, he's kept the team together and put together a string of  strong wins.   This is fun to watch. 
I may have thaught that a month ago, but Im not thinking that now. FWIW Ive always said lets wait till year end before passing judgement.

hnk

« Reply #130 on: February 10, 2014, 12:47:03 PM »
And besides the longer we wait the more expensive the contract is going to be!

« Reply #131 on: February 10, 2014, 12:50:56 PM »
I stand by just about all I said during the season about Lavin, except for one thing. I few months ago I felt as though Lav was losing the team, and the guys didn't respect/buy in to what he was teaching.

It appears that was never the case, and the guys really love Lav and rally around him, especially after hearing Jakarr's post game interview.

I believe the man deserves a contract extension at this point, but we still have games left to play, and I'll reserve final judgement until the team is finished for basketball this season, and the recruiting/transfer season ends.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 12:56:22 PM by chronicbucks »

Moose

« Reply #132 on: February 10, 2014, 12:54:41 PM »

As Lavin's agent are you arguing for extension or raise?  Because one is feasible the other is still up for debate.

Mike

« Reply #133 on: February 10, 2014, 01:47:10 PM »

As Lavin's agent are you arguing for extension or raise?  Because one is feasible the other is still up for debate.

What will you and Paultz be asking for Masiello to come aboard? ;)

Moose

« Reply #134 on: February 10, 2014, 01:50:58 PM »

Lavin isn't going anywhere.  That's clear.  If we went 4-14 in the BE that would be a different set of circumstances.  I'm not Desco who would still get rid of him.  He's our coach.  And he gets all my support.
He needs an extension to recruit effectively for '15 and beyond.  As for a raise though to me thats up for debate.  Dance and its fine dancing 2 out of 4 years.  Don't and I don't think he's deserving of one.  That's fair to me.

paultzman

« Reply #135 on: February 10, 2014, 01:53:16 PM »

Lavin isn't going anywhere.  That's clear.  If we went 4-14 in the BE that would be a different set of circumstances.  I'm not Desco who would still get rid of him.  He's our coach.  And he gets all my support.
He needs an extension to recruit effectively for '15 and beyond.  As for a raise though to me thats up for debate.  Dance and its fine dancing 2 out of 4 years.  Don't and I don't think he's deserving of one.  That's fair to me.

Reasonable

hnk

« Reply #136 on: February 10, 2014, 01:58:57 PM »
I refuse to negotiate in public.

Moose

« Reply #137 on: February 10, 2014, 01:59:53 PM »
I refuse to negotiate in public.

Sounds good Jordan :)

SJUFAN

« Reply #138 on: February 10, 2014, 02:57:50 PM »

I believe that is a bit short sighted. Yes a better coach may get better results with Lavin's players. But then what happens after his players leave? Jarvis part two?

desco80

« Reply #139 on: February 10, 2014, 03:10:35 PM »

I believe that is a bit short sighted. Yes a better coach may get better results with Lavin's players. But then what happens after his players leave? Jarvis part two?

My feeling is there are coaching candidates who can give you a little of both.   They're not abhorred by their players, and can land some recruits, yet they're also adept with a whistle and whiteboard.    It doesn't have to be all of one or the other.

But I think what Moose said above is indeed reasonable.   I'm not ready to say he deserves an extension/raise right now, but I'm not stubborn.. if he continues to produce then of course we'll be lucky to have him, and i'll be glad he's the coach.
But it's also true that if the season ended where we are now... say we go .500 the rest of the way.   Then yea, I don't think he's done enough in 4 years to return.   Nothing personal, but there are better options.

So let's see what happens.  It's also true that he's not going anywhere anytime soon.   And I don't know that that was absolutely guaranteed a month ago.  I think it made sense a month ago to make noise about replacing him.   The heat was justified and it may have made a difference if enough fans/boosters/media were expressing their displeasure.   But now it's clear he'll be back whether I approve or not, so the tact I take and the tone of my posts will probably be different.