Contract Extension

• 220 replies

boo3

Re: Contract Extension
« Reply #160 on: March 06, 2014, 06:24:18 PM »
Steve Lavin ‏@SJUCoachLavin  13m
When I came to #SJUBB the goal was to elevate our program into a consistent winner. We're not satisfied but we have made steady progress.

hnk

« Reply #161 on: March 06, 2014, 06:37:48 PM »
Moose, read above....couldn't have said it better myself.

« Reply #162 on: March 06, 2014, 06:43:42 PM »
He should get one and very likely will..  It's just common sense based on recruiting going forward, especially with the big '15 class.

The improvement hasn't been has quick as we may have liked, but it is there.  The team, both in performance and talent, as improved every year.....after year one, of course, which was a senior laden team that needed to be completely rebuilt immediately the following season.

We are St. John's, not Duke, Cuse, etc, Etc....  I have no interest in bringing in someone new and starting over... None whatsoever.
Thank you boo for being the voice of reason.  every situation is different, but imho, when looking at the overall picture, there are many positive factors  moving forward.  The foundation is good, and recruiting classes will begin to be smoothed out.  That was more of a problem than some recall, but it was pointed out on this board how hard it can be getting slammed like that.  I see a good year next year, and then the better depth will be coming in.

« Reply #163 on: March 06, 2014, 07:16:53 PM »
Out recruiting before they leave tomorrow for Milwaukee:

Joseph Staszewski ‏@CNG_Staszewski  · 39m 
@StJohnsBBall rolling three coaches deep today at Fordham, including Steve Lavin. #sjubb

boo3

« Reply #164 on: March 06, 2014, 08:14:36 PM »
Lavin will be on WFAN tomorrow morning.. Don;t know time. Boomer and Carton..  Moose and Maggie filling in for B&C

TONYD3

« Reply #165 on: March 06, 2014, 08:36:41 PM »
I hope lavin gets the extension . But he has to earn it. He hasn't yet . He has a chance, a good chance . Big games coming .

nudginator59

• It's better to be a Smart ass then a Dumb shart
« Reply #166 on: March 06, 2014, 09:43:19 PM »
It is hard for Lavin not to get an extension. There is still no Presode to and the team so far is moving in the right direction even it is slowly. Hopefully he can pull off some big times wins and meets his objective of making the tournament.

I do hope he succeeds I think he is a good personality for the team and NYC. Besides telle what other coaches wife makes front page news
Cougar O' Malley

goredmen

« Reply #167 on: March 06, 2014, 10:46:12 PM »
If they give him an extension after we go to NIT why didn't they just do it before the season? An NIT appearance would be a failed season so if this year's results really didn't matter why not just extend him this past offseason?

SJUFAN

« Reply #168 on: March 07, 2014, 12:46:10 AM »
Although not making it to the NCAA tourney would be a disappointment, I don't see how anyone could say Lavin doesn't have the program headed in the right direction. Say what you will about the BE being watered down, its still a tough league and we are finishing right about where we were predicted to.

Can't say enough how important senior leadership is. That more than anything is why we have not been able to be as successful as quickly as some would have liked. Teams like Providence and Creighton will struggle next year. That's how you build a program and Lavin is doing it. Although I believe if we don't dance it's because of Lavin's line up's in the beginning of the year, I can't think of anyone we could realistically get that would be better for this program. Hope he is here for the long haul.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2014, 12:47:17 AM by SJUFAN »

« Reply #169 on: March 07, 2014, 06:53:56 AM »
Although not making it to the NCAA tourney would be a disappointment, I don't see how anyone could say Lavin doesn't have the program headed in the right direction. Say what you will about the BE being watered down, its still a tough league and we are finishing right about where we were predicted to.

Can't say enough how important senior leadership is. That more than anything is why we have not been able to be as successful as quickly as some would have liked. Teams like Providence and Creighton will struggle next year. That's how you build a program and Lavin is doing it. Although I believe if we don't dance it's because of Lavin's line up's in the beginning of the year, I can't think of anyone we could realistically get that would be better for this program. Hope he is here for the long haul.

The problem is that we were picked to finish where we were because of Lavin. And I dont mean that as a compliment. How many times have we heard we have the most talent in the league? Even if coaches dont think we are the most talented, I would guarantee they dont think we are only the fifth most talented. Thats a problem.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

TONYD3

« Reply #170 on: March 07, 2014, 08:20:35 AM »
Win tomorrow and play next Saturday give the guy a contract. Lose tomorrow and and Thursday send him packing.

Moose

« Reply #171 on: March 07, 2014, 08:23:28 AM »
Win tomorrow and play next Saturday give the guy a contract. Lose tomorrow and and Thursday send him packing.

He's not going anywhere regardless of what happens the rest of this year.
Remember who broke the Slice news

hnk

« Reply #172 on: March 07, 2014, 08:29:33 AM »
That's as it should be...ridiculous to judge a coach on one make or break game.   He passes the eye test with flying colors. The program is getting better and better.

TONYD3

« Reply #173 on: March 07, 2014, 08:41:08 AM »
No he doesn't pass the eye test with flying colors. DePaul, g-town, and penn. State were awful losses. We are playing in a must win situation because he put himself in a hole.

Moose

« Reply #174 on: March 07, 2014, 08:50:04 AM »
After 4 years 2 NCAA tournaments is passing the 'eye test'.

hnk

« Reply #175 on: March 07, 2014, 08:52:58 AM »
It's the whole body of work....retire Coach K be cause  they lost to Wake?...retire Coach B because they have lost three out of four?.......dump Matta because they lost to Penn St twice?......These coaches aren't running for Pope.....Not a single one  of them is infallible

The question is whether the overall program is steadily improving.   The fair answer is yes.  Is the Coach or program perfect? No.

Does he deserve a contract extension and would it help our program?  Yes!!!!!!!  Give it to him and let him go and get Diallo, Briscoe, Govan and Richards!!!!!!

hnk

« Reply #176 on: March 07, 2014, 09:09:38 AM »
By the way, I enjoy watching guys and team (including Coaches) grow and develop better than I would watching Kentucky with all their one and dones.  I like learning who we are recruiting and watching them develop over the years and over a season.  it's fun.

I'm not looking for perfection.  I'm looking for stable growth and being in the hunt all or most years.  I believe that is happening right before our eyes. 

Obviously, we have to get the recruiting  smoothed out.  Though part of me wonders whether it's (stockpiling) part of Coach's tactic of recruiting "twofers"

Moose

« Reply #177 on: March 07, 2014, 09:16:35 AM »
By the way, I enjoy watching guys and team (including Coaches) grow and develop better than I would watching Kentucky with all their one and dones.  I like learning who we are recruiting and watching them develop over the years and over a season.  it's fun.

I'm not looking for perfection.  I'm looking for stable growth and being in the hunt all or most years.  I believe that is happening right before our eyes. 

Obviously, we have to get the recruiting  smoothed out.  Though part of me wonders whether it's (stockpiling) part of Coach's tactic of recruiting "twofers"

Watching who develop over 4 years?  From a 9 man class with 8 'freshman' only 3 will see their 4th year (Dee, Dom, Phil).  Moe left after 1. Karr never made it first year and no way he sticks around all 4.  Pelle never showed.  Nuri left after a semester.  Amir after a couple years.

*And now we have a PG who will never see his 4th year.  Let alone his 3rd year most likely.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2014, 09:17:23 AM by Moose »

TONYD3

« Reply #178 on: March 07, 2014, 09:17:42 AM »

After 4 years 2 NCAA tournaments is passing the 'eye test'.
[/quote]
Agree. But we didn't get into the tournament yet.  I expect to win  tomorrow . I think coach will have the guys ready.

TONYD3

« Reply #179 on: March 07, 2014, 09:24:14 AM »
Serious question. Are Dieaollo, Richards, govan, and briscoe better prospects then our current players? If not how can we expect better results?