LIU Game Discussion

• 134 replies
Re: LIU Game Discussion
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2014, 02:08:29 PM »
I feel Dom gambles too much... Tries for the "from behind steal" or block way to often... Almost like he lets his man go so he can make the play from behind... Been my observations of Dom in previous years.

At times he does because he can. I don't know many players if any better than Dom at trailing block. It's pretty damn masterful.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

wpc77

« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2014, 02:13:16 PM »
LIU lost 4 of the primary 6 guys in their rotation from last season, including their point guard.  They return a shooting guard with a bad haircut (Gerrell Martin) and a 3 who has some moves in the post but no outside game.  This is their first game of the season so they could come out flat.  They did recruit 2 kids from Iceland though, so look out!  Joking aside, although their coach is pretty solid, this should be a cakewalk for SJU.

wpc77

« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2014, 02:18:07 PM »
I feel Dom gambles too much... Tries for the "from behind steal" or block way to often... Almost like he lets his man go so he can make the play from behind... Been my observations of Dom in previous years.

At times he does because he can. I don't know many players if any better than Dom at trailing block. It's pretty damn masterful.

If he gets with a very good trainer after the season, I could see him be a D league star and perhaps more.  He has a ton of skill and athleticism and just needs to develop it properly.

« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2014, 02:18:34 PM »

Where it becomes a problem is when instead of running to a spot and stopping the man from getting to the basket (something he is fully capable of doing), he stays behind him and waits to attempt the block. Does he block a good amount of them? Yes, but often times he doesn't and either fouls or is out of position for the ensuing rebound.  So, is the chance of a blocked layup attempt better then no layup attempt at all? Absolutely not.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2014, 02:19:31 PM »

If he gets with a very good trainer after the season, I could see him be a D league star and perhaps more.  He has a ton of skill and athleticism and just needs to develop it properly.

Serious question, bedsides athletic ability, what basketball skills does Dom have a ton of?
« Last Edit: November 19, 2014, 02:21:39 PM by Amaseinyourface2 »

wpc77

« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2014, 02:26:06 PM »

Serious question, bedsides athletic ability, what basketball skills does Dom have a ton of?

I disagree with you about his defensive ability.  When he plays in control he is a strong passer and good rebounder.  He regressed each year that he has been here which from an outsider's perspective is on the coaching staff. 

« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2014, 02:29:06 PM »

When he plays in control

thats an oxynice person right there ;)

But seriously im not trying to be an ass. I just disagree that dom is a good basketball player.

wpc77

« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2014, 02:31:12 PM »
Fair enough.  As far as the opponent - does anyone disagree that anything other than a comfortable win where the game is out of reach by halftime will be a disappointment tonight? We are at game 3 of what really is an extension of the preseason, with the main event (Minnesota and then Zaga or GA) coming next Wednesday.  Also, FYI, Mnnesota gets Franklin Pierce tomorrow night.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2014, 02:32:23 PM by wpc77 »

« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2014, 02:33:28 PM »
LIU lost 4 of the primary 6 guys in their rotation from last season, including their point guard.  They return a shooting guard with a bad haircut (Gerrell Martin) and a 3 who has some moves in the post but no outside game.  This is their first game of the season so they could come out flat.  They did recruit 2 kids from Iceland though, so look out!  Joking aside, although their coach is pretty solid, this should be a cakewalk for SJU.

It's their first game so they could come out flat? Why, are they bored already?  ???

wpc77

« Reply #29 on: November 19, 2014, 02:35:41 PM »

It's their first game so they could come out flat? Why, are they bored already?  ???

Because they haven't played anyone besides internal scrimmages or perhaps a game or two against the SUNY Old Westbury JV squad or somesuch.

« Reply #30 on: November 19, 2014, 06:39:28 PM »
I would like to see Jones & Opekpa on the court together more tonight.

« Reply #31 on: November 19, 2014, 07:01:07 PM »
What channel?

« Reply #32 on: November 19, 2014, 07:10:05 PM »
What channel?

espn3, gotta watch it on the app/computer/roku/chromecast/apple tv
« Last Edit: November 19, 2014, 07:10:34 PM by Ron Artesticles »

« Reply #33 on: November 19, 2014, 07:27:53 PM »

Me too. Crazy we've only seen it for less then five minutes over two games.

nudginator59

• It's better to be a Smart ass then a Dumb shart
« Reply #34 on: November 19, 2014, 07:58:34 PM »

Me too. Crazy we've only seen it for less then five minutes over two games.

Hopefully no more quick and early fouls and the bulk of the team can stay in longer the 5mums at a time.
Cougar O' Malley

« Reply #35 on: November 19, 2014, 07:59:43 PM »
Our defense is so poor. Why over extend in the half court?  Play good defense, keep your man in front of you. Force tough shots.

« Reply #36 on: November 19, 2014, 08:10:47 PM »
Score?

« Reply #37 on: November 19, 2014, 08:19:11 PM »
32-26...Dom's looking pretty good I think. Still haven't seen Jones or Obekpa on the floor together.

QuanMan

« Reply #38 on: November 19, 2014, 08:20:33 PM »
I think Dom read your posts about him today Mase. Absolutely Dom-inant defensively right now.
Section 3
Section 116

« Reply #39 on: November 19, 2014, 08:20:38 PM »
Dom is making me eat crow tonight. Keep playing like that and im happy doing so.

Jones getting less then 2 minutes is ridiculous. Absolutely ridiculous