LIU Game Discussion

• 134 replies
Re: LIU Game Discussion
« Reply #80 on: November 19, 2014, 09:59:39 PM »
Marco- just stop with the trolling. It's embarrassing.

Dom- looks like he played a great game.  Hope he does it all season.  I'm with Mase though.  Wildly overrated man to man defensive player.  Tonight isn't night to defend that argument though.

The argument wasn't whether he was overrated. I think he was overrated as a defender for a while. But, he is a better overall defender than Harrison, and the best after Obekpa. I'm not even sure it's close.  It's not a knock on Harrison, it just is what it is. Dom is much more versatile, can guard more positions and has much more athletic ability on his side.

No one would ever say dlo is more athletic than dom. All I know is you can check the stats of tyler cooney and James Bell last year against dlo when dlo's responsibility was to shut them down. 

4 pts
9 pts
0 pts
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

desco80

« Reply #81 on: November 19, 2014, 10:05:28 PM »
Only 7 assists is pretty troubling

« Reply #82 on: November 19, 2014, 10:07:29 PM »
Only 7 assists is pretty troubling

You know whos scored 6 baskets on 6 assists in only 22 minutes and 8 shots? You guessed it. The same guy who got 1 1/2 minutes tonight.

desco80

« Reply #83 on: November 19, 2014, 10:19:26 PM »
After 3 games do you guys think the team looks better, worse, or about what you had expected?
I'd say a hair worse.   Individually everyone is playing at about the level I expected, with the exception of Obekpa, he's better.  But collectively they aren't executing as a unit.  Decision making, shot selection, and discipline on defense are all lacking.

That said, we're 3-0, as expected.   

TONYD3

« Reply #84 on: November 19, 2014, 10:19:47 PM »
Just got home, team played very good.  Ball movement was good. 7 assists if accurate is misleading. Defense and rebounding were good, again besides a few postions we held our own on boards. Score was close throughout game but we were in control. Dom played his best game in St. johns uniform. Obekpa had another good game. LIU was decent, much better then NJIT.

« Reply #85 on: November 19, 2014, 10:20:43 PM »
Find a way to win. That's all that matters.

« Reply #86 on: November 19, 2014, 10:26:23 PM »
Marco- just stop with the trolling. It's embarrassing.

Dom- looks like he played a great game.  Hope he does it all season.  I'm with Mase though.  Wildly overrated man to man defensive player.  Tonight isn't night to defend that argument though.

On boy

I would pay JJ and Dave's hosting costs for the next 5 years in exchange for a ban on Baldi.

100% serious.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2014, 10:34:40 PM by Ron Artesticles »

« Reply #87 on: November 19, 2014, 10:39:16 PM »
LIU gets 21 offensive rebounds again us, what the hell is gonna happen vs minny, zaga if we beat minnesota.
And lets see what happens at Cuse, vs. Duke, and against the B.E. teams?

And to answer Desco, I thought they'd look atleast somewhat better in the 3 games.
Maybe their hearts will be in it more vs. the better teams?

Well starting next Wednesday we'll all see what they're really about.

Hey AMase, we're counting on you. Criticize some more.   :coolsmiley:

« Reply #88 on: November 19, 2014, 10:41:00 PM »
Play of the game.  Dom preventing a fight
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

« Reply #89 on: November 19, 2014, 10:54:21 PM »
LOL at Dom being a bad defender.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Tha Kid

« Reply #90 on: November 19, 2014, 11:11:28 PM »
"I drink and I know things"

« Reply #91 on: November 19, 2014, 11:13:30 PM »
I said this at the game to a friend and I'll say it again. Versus bigger teams they're going to need to play Obekpa and Jones or Amar. Wish Lav would have worked big men into the rotation.

Otherwise I don't think they played as poorly as people think. Rebounding and losing men on defense was a problem. Hopefully can be fixed in practice with six days until the next game.

Poison

« Reply #92 on: November 19, 2014, 11:18:48 PM »
LOL at Dom being a bad defender.

It's odd timing to call him out for being a bad defender.

goredmen

« Reply #93 on: November 19, 2014, 11:26:57 PM »
Dom isn't a bad defender but he could and should be so much better. With his size and athleticism he should be able to stop or seriously contain the other team's top player in positions 1-3.  He didn't do that last year. Lets see if he turns it up this year

This year he should match up  and stop guys like Hilliard, Davis, DSR, Whitehead etc

« Reply #94 on: November 19, 2014, 11:31:32 PM »
Dom is an excellent athlete who is a very good defender with below average discipline. There are things Dom can do many others can't. Calling him a poor defender is ludicrous.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #95 on: November 19, 2014, 11:36:42 PM »
Very early folks.  Let's take it easy and give it another month.  Two things that need to be addressed is the defense and sharing the ball.  Lavin' s team year one had amazing ball movement.  If u go back and watch the Duke game that year the team's passing was a thing of beauty.  With the future in doubt let's all hope we tighten things up so we can see these kids enjoy success their senior year.

QuanMan

« Reply #96 on: November 19, 2014, 11:45:44 PM »
Everyone harps on our overall size right now, but when you add two 7-foot physical brothers into the rotation the complexion of this team changes dramatically. Lavs mentioned it post game, conceivably Obekpa can play SF at times with the Delarosa's controlling the paint. Add Dom's versatility alongside CJ brute, a developing SF/PF in Amar, and above average sized guards in Sheed, Dee, and Phil, and we won't be small one bit come BE play. I just hope we had this size for Cuse's zone in 3 weeks. Free Adonis!
Section 3
Section 116

« Reply #97 on: November 20, 2014, 01:39:12 AM »
This is where the vlack of size hurts in the front court.
LIU had 21offensive rebounds compared to our 8
Atterberry had 7 off rebounds.
Obekpa had 10boards, Dom 8 and DLo 7

They out rebounded us 44-39

Doms #s: 18pnts, 6Blks, 8boards, 2steals, and 2 assists

Stats are often misleading. LIU were credited with a bunch of rebounds (many offensive) off of blocked shots by SJU.

With that said, we didn't do a great job of rebounding but them getting the ball back after a block increased their rebounding numbers.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2014, 01:41:26 AM by stjohnnie75 »

nudginator59

• It's better to be a Smart ass then a Dumb shart
« Reply #98 on: November 20, 2014, 01:56:23 AM »
Positive Dom was #6 in Wednesday's top on ESPN for one of his dunks.
Cougar O' Malley

« Reply #99 on: November 20, 2014, 06:44:26 AM »
Everyone harps on our overall size right now, but when you add two 7-foot physical brothers into the rotation the complexion of this team changes dramatically. Lavs mentioned it post game, conceivably Obekpa can play SF at times with the Delarosa's controlling the paint. Add Dom's versatility alongside CJ brute, a developing SF/PF in Amar, and above average sized guards in Sheed, Dee, and Phil, and we won't be small one bit come BE play. I just hope we had this size for Cuse's zone in 3 weeks. Free Adonis!

Obekpa play SF?