LIU Game Discussion

• 134 replies
Re: LIU Game Discussion
« Reply #60 on: November 19, 2014, 09:32:20 PM »
Dom is our best defender outside of Obekpa. To say otherwise is just silly. Harrison is solid, but Dom is irreplaceable in terms of some of the things he brings to the defense. We lose to LIU Brooklyn without Dom tonight.

How quickly a solid performance against LIU erases the memory of HIS man scoring the first 11 points in our last game.

I'm not basing this on one or two games, but 3 seasons.

« Reply #61 on: November 19, 2014, 09:36:00 PM »
Dom is our best defender outside of Obekpa. To say otherwise is just silly. Harrison is solid, but Dom is irreplaceable in terms of some of the things he brings to the defense. We lose to LIU Brooklyn without Dom tonight.

How quickly a solid performance against LIU erases the memory of HIS man scoring the first 11 points in our last game.

That makes two of us
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

desco80

« Reply #62 on: November 19, 2014, 09:36:08 PM »

Dom and Jordan have the athletic ability to be great defenders, but both get burnt off the dribble far too often.
Dom is often able to recover with a block against smaller and less athletic competition lately.

I actually think Harrison is our second best defender.  He's always in his stance and it's difficult to turn the corner on him. 

« Reply #63 on: November 19, 2014, 09:37:30 PM »
This is where the vlack of size hurts in the front court.
LIU had 21offensive rebounds compared to our 8
Atterberry had 7 off rebounds.
Obekpa had 10boards, Dom 8 and DLo 7

They out rebounded us 44-39

Doms #s: 18pnts, 6Blks, 8boards, 2steals, and 2 assists

« Reply #64 on: November 19, 2014, 09:37:35 PM »

Dom and Jordan have the athletic ability to be great defenders, but both get burnt off the dribble far too often.
Dom is often able to recover with a block against smaller and less athletic competition lately.

I actually think Harrison is our second best defender.  He's always in his stance and it's difficult to turn the corner on him. 

Think harrison is our #1

nudginator59

• It's better to be a Smart ass then a Dumb shart
« Reply #65 on: November 19, 2014, 09:38:06 PM »
If we are up by 15-20 and Dom scored 16points that's great. The fact that we are only up by single digits shows the team as a whole is sucking....At least Dom showed up

So I guess you didn't watch or something? Jordan Harrison and Obekpa all looked good, not great, but you don't need Harrison scoring 30 every game to win. If anything, I take it as a positive, the fact that over 3 games we've had 3 separate players that we can point to in one way or another as a key contributer

It only LIU made some wife open 3s the game would have close to the very end. The fact that it took the last two minutes of the game to pull away from an LIU team full of freshman is concerning. At least in the last game they stormed out in the 2nd half and put the game away early. 

Harrison doesn't need to score 30, but wod you feel comfortable on Dom leading SJU in scoring against Minnisota? I have a feeling the game would be be favoring SJU if that was the case. These 3 games were supposed to be a warm up before the main NIT event and They do not look ready to face Minn, or the Zags. Hopefully I'm really wrong.
Cougar O' Malley

« Reply #66 on: November 19, 2014, 09:39:11 PM »
L I U.

paultzman

« Reply #67 on: November 19, 2014, 09:39:58 PM »
7assists, ugh! 2/11 on threes. Team chemistry is not strength of this team thus far. Choppy effort Imo.

« Reply #68 on: November 19, 2014, 09:40:34 PM »

I love Harrison, but he doesn't block shots. He too often gets beat off the dribble (everyone on the team does and has for quite some time). Dom has size and ability to chase down guards for blocks, D up big men, and jump passing lanes. Harrison is a solid defender, but Dom is under appreciated apparently here. And I'm not even saying Dom is a superstar defender. To be honest, second best defender on St. John's is nothing to be all that proud of. But it is most definitely Dom Pointer. I think even Dlo would tell you that.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2014, 09:41:20 PM by redstorm212 »

nudginator59

• It's better to be a Smart ass then a Dumb shart
« Reply #69 on: November 19, 2014, 09:41:11 PM »
I apologize for the bad writing in my last post.
I meant to say the game  would not favor SJU if Dom is the lead scorer.
Cougar O' Malley

« Reply #70 on: November 19, 2014, 09:42:49 PM »

I love Harrison, but he doesn't block shots. He too often gets beat off the dribble (everyone on the team does and has for quite some time). Dom has size and ability to chase down guards for blocks, D up big men, and jump passing lanes. Harrison is a solid defender, but Dom is under appreciated apparently here. And I'm not even saying Dom is a superstar defender. To be honest, second best defender on St. John's is nothing to be all that proud of. But it is most definitely Dom Pointer. I think even Dlo would tell you that.

He would also tell you Sanchez could drop 40 lol. He loves his teammates. I think dlo thinks he is the best at everything. And hes probably right.

« Reply #71 on: November 19, 2014, 09:45:30 PM »
It looked like Lavin went bat shit crazy when he called that first TO in the first half.

He was pissed with the poor defense.

boo3

« Reply #72 on: November 19, 2014, 09:45:57 PM »
Marco- just stop with the trolling. It's embarrassing.

Dom- looks like he played a great game.  Hope he does it all season.  I'm with Mase though.  Wildly overrated man to man defensive player.  Tonight isn't night to defend that argument though.

« Reply #73 on: November 19, 2014, 09:50:01 PM »

Were we not in zone at that point? I could be wrong.

Doesn't excuse him, but it makes it a bit different I think.

« Reply #74 on: November 19, 2014, 09:52:40 PM »

Dom- looks like he played a great game.  Hope he does it all season.  I'm with Mase though.  Wildly overrated man to man defensive player.  Tonight isn't night to defend that argument though.

On boy

paultzman

« Reply #75 on: November 19, 2014, 09:54:05 PM »
@CESPN1: Johnnies got out rebounded 44 to 39. 21 offensive rebounds for LIU. Only 7 assists.

« Reply #76 on: November 19, 2014, 09:54:45 PM »

The argument wasn't whether he was overrated. I think he was overrated as a defender for a while. But, he is a better overall defender than Harrison, and the best after Obekpa. I'm not even sure it's close.  It's not a knock on Harrison, it just is what it is. Dom is much more versatile, can guard more positions and has much more athletic ability on his side.

« Reply #77 on: November 19, 2014, 09:56:21 PM »

Were we not in zone at that point? I could be wrong.

Doesn't excuse him, but it makes it a bit different I think.

Think one possession was in zone.

« Reply #78 on: November 19, 2014, 09:59:01 PM »
If we are up by 15-20 and Dom scored 16points that's great. The fact that we are only up by single digits shows the team as a whole is sucking....At least Dom showed up

So I guess you didn't watch or something? Jordan Harrison and Obekpa all looked good, not great, but you don't need Harrison scoring 30 every game to win. If anything, I take it as a positive, the fact that over 3 games we've had 3 separate players that we can point to in one way or another as a key contributer

It only LIU made some wife open 3s the game would have close to the very end. The fact that it took the last two minutes of the game to pull away from an LIU team full of freshman is concerning. At least in the last game they stormed out in the 2nd half and put the game away early. 

Harrison doesn't need to score 30, but wod you feel comfortable on Dom leading SJU in scoring against Minnisota? I have a feeling the game would be be favoring SJU if that was the case. These 3 games were supposed to be a warm up before the main NIT event and They do not look ready to face Minn, or the Zags. Hopefully I'm really wrong.

My point is that I think it showed a lot of maturity on the part of Dlo and Jordan. They realized that the team was playing just fine without them making an attempt to "take over." And for the record, they didn't have bad games, Jordan had 15 and Dlo 14...

It isn't whether or not I'm comfortable with Dom or Phil or Stewart leading scoring against Minnesota or whoever else. I'm not going to complain when somebody has an all around good game and use that as an excuse to point to larger flaws that may be out there.

boo3

« Reply #79 on: November 19, 2014, 09:59:02 PM »
Hope you are right. Going to need him to play great defense once real season starts.