Minnesota Game

• 182 replies

boo3

Re: Minnesota Game
« Reply #160 on: November 27, 2014, 11:41:21 AM »
Good luck with that Tony.. I agree,  halftime adjustment to man D was difference.  Kept team focused on D despite bad shooting night. 

desco80

« Reply #161 on: November 27, 2014, 11:42:38 AM »
Just watched a replay of the game, some observations:
I actually think we were relatively unlikwly, and could have won by more.
there were quite a few Playa that we uncharacteristically couldn't finish.  Obekpa had about three "gimmies" that slipped threw his hands, and Rysheeds touch was just a tad off on some finishes in the lane as well.
That, and the free throw shooting, should improve.

I think I was most impressed that we didn't over play defensively.  Didn't fall for shot fakes, and jump out of our shoes.  This was the first game in awhile where our athleticism was a benefit and not used against us.

The negative.  Branch didn't play enough.  And Rysheed's jumper has continued to be off.   Has not had a good shooting game yet this year. 

Really looking forward to the Gonzaga game.  Hope we can surprise people

« Reply #162 on: November 27, 2014, 11:49:47 AM »
As unpopular as this is. Lavin deserves some credit. Team looked great last night. He killed Pitino in the second half. These are his seniors.

We made some great 2nd half adjustments. We were getting beat on literally the same play every trip up the court in the last 10 minutes of the first half.

« Reply #163 on: November 27, 2014, 11:49:48 AM »
there were quite a few Playa that we uncharacteristically couldn't finish.  Obekpa had about three "gimmies" that slipped threw his hands, and Rysheeds touch was just a tad off on some finishes in the lane as well.

I think I was most impressed that we didn't over play defensively.  Didn't fall for shot fakes, and jump out of our shoes.  This was the first game in awhile where our athleticism was a benefit and not used against us.

The negative.  Branch didn't play enough.  And Rysheed's jumper has continued to be off.   Has not had a good shooting game yet this year. 

Agree about Branch, my only problem I had really.

And Rysheed was shooting over 50% coming into this game.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

TONYD3

« Reply #164 on: November 27, 2014, 11:51:05 AM »
Negatives- Zone- Did they ever practice it. Pointer never knows where to slide. 5 of us with out practice would be better. The corner was open the entire first half.  We need the Delarosa's or Amare so we can put this zone away forever.

desco80

« Reply #165 on: November 27, 2014, 11:57:41 AM »

Agree about Branch, my only problem I had really.

And Rysheed was shooting over 50% coming into this game.

Because he takes so many high percentage shots Mase.
I'd love to see some detailed shooting stats, because my memory is that his jumper has been off in all 4 games.

Tiznow

« Reply #166 on: November 27, 2014, 12:23:23 PM »

I wanted to see Branch in with 6 minutes to go when Lavin stuck with Phil.  Phil was not passing the ball, but then hit two key outside shots.  Lavin played the right people.  This team is easier for him to manage than last year's squad.  Perhaps sub patterns was the downfall last season. 

« Reply #167 on: November 27, 2014, 12:28:41 PM »

I wanted to see Branch in with 6 minutes to go when Lavin stuck with Phil.  Phil was not passing the ball, but then hit two key outside shots.  Lavin played the right people.  This team is easier for him to manage than last year's squad.  Perhaps sub patterns was the downfall last season.

When we have a lead late in the game, I like Phil controlling the ball. He takes great care of the ball. I think Jamal is just too turnover prone for that situation.

redslope

« Reply #168 on: November 27, 2014, 12:59:23 PM »
One more thing--love Chris going old school with short shorts.  When is Underasmor get the hint and make him a pair.

Great team move would be to lend support to Chris and all wear the The Mullin era throw back uniform for the Duke game.  They would be better than the Black uniforms we can't win in

Tougher than you think. The turn around time on uniforms is 8-10 weeks.

dave i wonder if UA was a little embarrassed and he get them earlier. The commentator actually called them out on it.

Since I was there I had not heard commentator's issues--he gets it.  Dave  duke is 8+ weeks away.   They could start a trend like the Fab 5 at Michigan with the long pants a couple of decades ago and think of all the ladies that will become SJU fans:)

« Reply #169 on: November 27, 2014, 01:32:21 PM »
One more thing--love Chris going old school with short shorts.  When is Underasmor get the hint and make him a pair.

Great team move would be to lend support to Chris and all wear the The Mullin era throw back uniform for the Duke game.  They would be better than the Black uniforms we can't win in

dave i wonder if UA was a little embarrassed and he get them earlier. The commentator actually called them out on it.

Since I was there I had not heard commentator's issues--he gets it.  Dave  duke is 8+ weeks away.   They could start a trend like the Fab 5 at Michigan with the long pants a couple of decades ago and think of all the ladies that will become SJU fans:)

Sports center had a bit on the shorts this morning too. They did a whole 80s recap of the game. They also called out ua -- it would be great if they made him some real shorts, it would only take a couple days to turn around a few pairs.

Also, I don't get the hate on dan dakitch. He said some really dumb things (like saying dlo needs to show more emotion), but his actual analysis of the game was solid and he's really funny. It's like listening to a drunk uncle talking over the game. So many good lines

paultzman

« Reply #170 on: November 27, 2014, 01:46:29 PM »

Sports center had a bit on the shorts this morning too. They did a whole 80s recap of the game. They also called out ua -- it would be great if they made him some real shorts, it would only take a couple days to turn around a few pairs.

Also, I don't get the hate on dan dakitch. He said some really dumb things (like saying dlo needs to show more emotion), but his actual analysis of the game was solid and he's really funny. It's like listening to a drunk uncle talking over the game. So many good lines

Dakich, like many color guys, talks too much. He does know the game. I thought  the guy he really slammed was Pitino Jr. over his poor substitutions.

TONYD3

« Reply #171 on: November 27, 2014, 01:58:20 PM »
If you don't like the announcers come down to the game. Good seats available. PROMO code LASTCHANCE 25% off ticketmaster. The boys could use some help.

« Reply #172 on: November 27, 2014, 02:06:56 PM »
Its very easy to root for your team when the compete as hard as they did last night. All the big plays last night had one thing in common, our guy wanted it more. Dom's put back dunk of the missed ft was all hustle, his steal and and-1 poster was the same. What more can be said about dlo? Absolute warrior. 

Only negative was listening to freaking Dan Dakich. God he is awful. Someone else mentioned it but when he said something like "if Dlo played with the focus, energy, and communication that Obekpa does he would be an NBA player." If thats not a.) A horribly inaccurate statement and b.) An uncalled for back handed comment, then I dont know what is.

I really think Dakich meant Jordan instead of Dlo. And I agree, if Jordan played defense with the same energy as Opekpa he would be a force.

« Reply #173 on: November 27, 2014, 02:17:41 PM »
When the guys commit to the glass like this, it shows a smaller lineup will work against many teams - 37 rebs by the guards

« Reply #174 on: November 27, 2014, 02:21:38 PM »
Its very easy to root for your team when the compete as hard as they did last night. All the big plays last night had one thing in common, our guy wanted it more. Dom's put back dunk of the missed ft was all hustle, his steal and and-1 poster was the same. What more can be said about dlo? Absolute warrior. 

Only negative was listening to freaking Dan Dakich. God he is awful. Someone else mentioned it but when he said something like "if Dlo played with the focus, energy, and communication that Obekpa does he would be an NBA player." If thats not a.) A horribly inaccurate statement and b.) An uncalled for back handed comment, then I dont know what is.

I really think Dakich meant Jordan instead of Dlo. And I agree, if Jordan played defense with the same energy as Opekpa he would be a force.

Maybe but I dont think so. He was all over dlo the whole night.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #175 on: November 27, 2014, 02:27:24 PM »

Yeah, he criticized Dlo quite a few times when it was uncalled for.

« Reply #176 on: November 27, 2014, 02:34:24 PM »
If you don't like the announcers come down to the game. Good seats available. PROMO code LASTCHANCE 25% off ticketmaster. The boys could use some help.

I'm away for the weeknd.  Missing a great couple of games.

Tiznow

« Reply #177 on: November 27, 2014, 09:04:18 PM »

Sounds like it was a repeat of two years ago when he did one of our games.  He did zero prep work and seemed to have problem with Harrison.  He should stay in the middle of the country. 

I agree with TonyD3.  Every Johnny fan needs to get to MSG if possible.

« Reply #178 on: November 27, 2014, 09:42:13 PM »

Yeah I never understood the emotion comment he made on dlo. He always plays with emotion which can be a good and bad thing at times.

« Reply #179 on: November 27, 2014, 10:19:34 PM »
Good luck with that Tony.. I agree,  halftime adjustment to man D was difference.  Kept team focused on D despite bad shooting night. 

There is not much he can mess up. He has 6 guys basically that he can play and there is not much you can do only playing 6 guys. Less is  more in this case and Lavin can get out of his own way. I still expect some kind of head scratching move a some point though. Maybe start Balamou at center or something.