Lamont Jones - PG - American Christian School - Aston, PA - IONA

• 560 replies

Moose

I also found out that MoMo tried to transfer to St. John's before the start of last season too for whatever that is worth.

If this is the case then it shouldnt really be a shocker out of left field.  And the staff should have weighed some of these pro's and con's already.  No?
Remember who broke the Slice news

The staff did pretty good with Hardy developing him at the point. Granted he lighted it up scoring but if they can do the same thing to Lindsey than to be honest I think maybe I'd rather hold the schollie especially if Jevon is close to on track academically

DFF6

I agree with SJUhoopNUT's last post.  MoMo is a proven player at the highest level of competition.  Towards the end of last year, he really picked up his game and showed that he could absolutely lead a high major team as a PG.  Granted, based on his interviews, he's got a strong personality and isn't afraid to speak his mind, but all I have read, the players on AZ looked up to him as a (if not THE) leader of the team.  In fact, MoMo personally hosted Josiah Turner (the "next" starting PG at AZ) during AZ's recruitment of Turner, and partly owing to MoMo's gracious and supportive attitude toward Turner, he committed to AZ.  Besides, I have to trust that Lavin & Co. will be able to manage the egos aboard the "ark".   

Moose

The staff did pretty good with Hardy developing him at the point. Granted he lighted it up scoring but if they can do the same thing to Lindsey than to be honest I think maybe I'd rather hold the schollie especially if Jevon is close to on track academically

I think I would take MoMo over Jevon because I do wonder if having Jevon on board is holding back Kyle a bit.

Getting Momo might turn off Jevon, thats too bad, but that is how the game works. You don't pass on a kid because you are worried how it might affect a committed recruit down the line. Momo presents an opportunity to get stronger next year. Not to mention, Jevon isn't a lock to even show up in the fall of 2012. And lets say Jevon does what he needs to do academically and is eligible for 2012, is he really going to let 1 year of playing with Momo (assuming the waiver goes through) deter him from coming to St. John's?

I think I would take MoMo over Jevon because I do wonder if having Jevon on board is holding back Kyle a bit.

If Kyle commits, he'll be the best player on the team.
Fire Mullin.

Moose

I know.  He is my priority #1.  So having MoMo who is closer to graduating than a Harrow or Jevon is better scenario in my mind.

ras

As good as the class is ,they are young,mostlly frosh. It would be nice to have an experienced upperclassman who has leadership skills and started for a top 10 school. Regarding logjam, if Momo doesn"t come someone else will even if its a 2012 recruit. This will also help scholirship distribution.

I might have been bleary eyed, but @ midnight last night, did someone
change title of thread to say "ST JOHNS" after his name- then remove it ?

With classes probably over, is Momo back in NYC for the summer ?

If a kid has to sit a year, he still gets to play 4 years(5 years of schol total)?
« Last Edit: May 20, 2011, 10:34:11 AM by stevep502 »
Molloy '71

I know.  He is my priority #1.  So having MoMo who is closer to graduating than a Harrow or Jevon is better scenario in my mind.

You're probably right, tom. 

I agree, Moose (he's also my priority #1).  Hopefully, he is also the the #1 priority for the staff, Moose.  Maybe, the staff are weighing their options, whether to nab MoMo or not, with Anderson in mind.   

Moose

I might have been bleary eyed, but @ midnight last night, did someone
change title of thread to say "ST JOHNS" after his name- then remove it ?

With classes probably over, is Momo back in NYC for the summer ?

If a kid has to sit a year, he still gets to play 4 years(5 years of schol total)?

Yes it was changed back.

He's coming back to NY this weekend articles have said.

He would have 2 more years whatever way you shake it.

sju89tr

The only thing that would make MoMo a very important pickup is if Nuri wasn't on track to be here this coming year due to schoolwork issues.  I know he needs summer classes to fulfill all his coursework.  Hopefully he is doing so.

I am sure Nuri knows what he needs to do to qualify or he would have declared for the draft, not worried about this at all

I can't believe how sure and done this was to how doubtful in a matter of 12 hours. It's like the ESPN commercial says, "It's not crazy, it's sports."
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Moose

I can't believe how sure and done this was to how doubtful in a matter of 12 hours. It's like the ESPN commercial says, "It's not crazy, it's sports."

Well that sounds like you mean it was officially 'done'.  And it wasn't just overzealous social media people trying to one up everyone.

boo3

Well that sounds like you mean it was officially 'done'.  And it wasn't just overzealous social media people trying to one up everyone.

as usual.

I don't think anyone was really trying to one up anyone. Lenn had it right at the time, I checked independent sources that confirmed as I was in disbelief. Things changed, it happens. Back in the day half this stuff wouldn't be covered and you would never know about it.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Moose

I don't think anyone was really trying to one up anyone. Lenn had it right at the time, I checked independent sources that confirmed as I was in disbelief. Things changed, it happens. Back in the day half this stuff wouldn't be covered and you would never know about it.

Ok so what changed exactly?  Can that be said?  STJ?  MoMo? I'm just confused on timelines.  I thought Lavin reached out for first time yesterday (Zags) but then meanwhile Lenn had him transferring first thing in the am before Lavin would have talked to MoMo's camp.  This is like a soap opera.

crgreen

Nice thought if you're building for 2-3 years down the road.  "boy, when they're juniors and seniors we can do some serious damage"....BUT...

This staff is interested in NOW.  Deep runs in the dance are the target NOW.   Nuri MAY be able to do it.  Momo ALREADY HAS.

Without Momo this teams D-1 experience at guard is Malik's 669 minutes.   Tourney experience is 9 minutes, 2 pts, no assists, no rebs.

With Momo, add 1,551 more minutes.  And 106 Tourney minutes.

Guys, this is a kid who got 20 vs BYU.  27 vs Cal.  20 against OSU.  18 vs Memphis.  17 against UCLA.  17 against USC.  16pts 6 assists vs Duke.  And that's as the THIRD scoring option in the offense.

All this assumes he gets the waiver.  It's a crapshoot with the NCAA, and Momo for 2013 and 2014 doesn't have near the same impact as  Momo for 2012 and 2013.

sju89tr

Nice thought if you're building for 2-3 years down the road.  "boy, when they're juniors and seniors we can do some serious damage"....BUT...

This staff is interested in NOW.  Deep runs in the dance are the target NOW.   Nuri MAY be able to do it.  Momo ALREADY HAS.

Without Momo this teams D-1 experience at guard is Malik's 669 minutes.   Tourney experience is 9 minutes, 2 pts, no assists, no rebs.

With Momo, add 1,551 more minutes.  And 106 Tourney minutes.

Guys, this is a kid who got 20 vs BYU.  27 vs Cal.  20 against OSU.  18 vs Memphis.  17 against UCLA.  17 against USC.  16pts 6 assists vs Duke.  And that's as the THIRD scoring option in the offense.

All this assumes he gets the waiver.  It's a crapshoot with the NCAA, and Momo for 2013 and 2014 doesn't have near the same impact as  Momo for 2012 and 2013.

Agree 100% and Mo Mo for 2013 and 2014 is fine too with me. I wasn't really all that interested when I heard about it at first but the more I thought about it, it's a no brainer. He would fit in nicely with the wings and bring a lot of experience to the table. 
« Last Edit: May 20, 2011, 12:53:35 PM by sju89tr »

I agree!!! If Mo Mo can play this season it is a no brainer..