Midnight Madness

• 157 replies
Re: Midnight Madness
« Reply #40 on: October 15, 2015, 06:56:19 AM »
#Dontbepoor
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

Poison

« Reply #41 on: October 15, 2015, 08:07:13 AM »
#Dontbepoor

That's the REAL St.John's mission.

Moose

« Reply #42 on: October 15, 2015, 09:07:03 AM »
The reason they are charging is because the act refused to perform unless they were charging.  They actually had a previous act who refused to perform as well because he wanted tickets sold.  This act was fine with students getting in for free and compromised on the non students having to pay.

As for the event itself I didn't go last year and not sure about the year before.  For whoever said sell out last year don't they cut off half the building?  I remember that when I last went.  It is a student driven event but we know our students arent exactly breaking turnstiles when it comes to SJU hoops.  If you can get some recent alums still young enough to appreciate the act dinging them for 20 bucks is pretty dumb because they will fill the holes and make it look more packed.  You want a good crowd because you dont need recruits to see a half ass full arena.
Remember who broke the Slice news

Poison

« Reply #43 on: October 15, 2015, 09:51:55 AM »
What would STJ be w out a musical act at midnight madness which begins at 7:00 pm.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2015, 09:52:54 AM by Poison »

« Reply #44 on: October 15, 2015, 10:35:54 AM »
Love all the fans who want a big time basketball program, with big time coaches, and then complain because it costs 20 bucks admission to an event. Hey, I am pretty sure SUNY Farmingdale isn't charging a dime, so go for it! Guess what folks, you are not entitled to a free ride. SJU is in financial  trouble. Either support your team, or don't. But please. no whining.

« Reply #45 on: October 15, 2015, 10:50:27 AM »
this is last year's recap video.  you can decide for yourself whether you want to attend or not.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxr5xkoTkwE

Poison

« Reply #46 on: October 15, 2015, 10:59:21 AM »
Love all the fans who want a big time basketball program, with big time coaches, and then complain because it costs 20 bucks admission to an event. Hey, I am pretty sure SUNY Farmingdale isn't charging a dime, so go for it! Guess what folks, you are not entitled to a free ride. SJU is in financial  trouble. Either support your team, or don't. But please. no whining.

No, only the St.John's athletic department is entitled to a free ride.

Big time programs aren't nickel and dining their fan base like this. Midnight Madness is designed to get the students first and then the remaining parts of the fan base excited. Except what St.John's isn;t considering at this point, is that their students are f'n garbage when it comes to supporting the program.

I sat in an empty MSG 2 years ago and watched Xavier destroy us in a game that had as much juice as a typical practice. Tell me, where were the students? Was it too cold outside? Did they have too much homework? F them.

The students aren't what drives this program. They should be, but they aren't and they haven't been in decades.

This program is in the toilet, and it needs to spread all of the good will it can. If a season ticket holder wants to go to this, and watch them jump around like they've just won the BE tournament and listen to some no name hip hop tool, then they should be able to —no matter how pathetic some of us older fans might think that is.

« Last Edit: October 15, 2015, 11:08:27 AM by Poison »

Poison

« Reply #47 on: October 15, 2015, 11:08:43 AM »
this is last year's recap video.  you can decide for yourself whether you want to attend or not.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxr5xkoTkwE

Yep, shit.

TheVig

« Reply #48 on: October 15, 2015, 11:09:53 AM »
Think about the decision from a return on investment standpoint. By charging for this event you may generate upwards of 30k from 1,000 paid entrants. Let's say there are another 1,000 people who would have come out for some cheap Friday night entertainment but decide to stay home instead because of the ticket price. Of those 1,000 people who stayed home 250 would have purchased tickets for 3 games at the box office Friday or at a later date but won't now that they didn't make it out for the tip off event. That lost revenue almost nullifies the revenue the event generates. How about lost concessions/donations from those people as well? Their children will not experience St John's basketball and will have no reason to be fans as the grow into adults. Its not just dollars its also goodwill.

How about recruiting impact? Is this event the spectacle that the staff wants to get kids on campus for when half the seats are empty? How do you think it makes the current players feel?

I work in support of a SW business for one of the largest tech firms in the world. There is a method to the madness behind giving away a limited use version of one our hottest new offerings for the first year and the university should treat this event similarly, as a marketing expense. ..

Poison

« Reply #49 on: October 15, 2015, 11:17:11 AM »
Think about the decision from a return on investment standpoint. By charging for this event you may generate upwards of 30k from 1,000 paid entrants. Let's say there are another 1,000 people who would have come out for some cheap Friday night entertainment but decide to stay home instead because of the ticket price. Of those 1,000 people who stayed home 250 would have purchased tickets for 3 games at the box office Friday or at a later date but won't now that they didn't make it out for the tip off event. That lost revenue almost nullifies the revenue the event generates. How about lost concessions/donations from those people as well? Their children will not experience St John's basketball and will have no reason to be fans as the grow into adults. Its not just dollars its also goodwill.

How about recruiting impact? Is this event the spectacle that the staff wants to get kids on campus for when half the seats are empty? How do you think it makes the current players feel?

I work in support of a SW business for one of the largest tech firms in the world. There is a method to the madness behind giving away a limited use version of one our hottest new offerings for the first year and the university should treat this event similarly, as a marketing expense. ..

Exactly. It's short-sighted.

paultzman

« Reply #50 on: October 15, 2015, 11:20:46 AM »
@coreyevans_10: The anatomy of Midnight Madness is a long and arduous one ~ Coaches weigh in on importance http://t.co/He54unEJaH http://t.co/K29t4bkQtd

« Reply #51 on: October 15, 2015, 11:33:49 AM »
If it's not a big deal, why do all the top recruits boast about which elite midnight madness events they are attending?    It is a recruiting tool that a very few know how to do well.

paultzman

« Reply #52 on: October 15, 2015, 11:59:30 AM »
@davidarsenio10: Pope John XXIII sophomore guard @AtibaTaylor will be attending StJohnsBBall's Midnight Madness.

« Reply #53 on: October 15, 2015, 11:59:44 AM »
The event has been free forever and now they are charging $20.  Our fan base is astute enough to know when something has gone in the wrong direction.

I hope they don't have a slam dunk contest.

nudginator59

• It's better to be a Smart ass then a Dumb shart
« Reply #54 on: October 15, 2015, 12:17:01 PM »
Need to keep things in perspective

-There has been a tremendous change over in personnel from the players to the AD. Things look like they were thrown together because they probably were and this left little time to properly resource this event.

-For the first time in 30 years there is an SJU President that cares about the program and is heavily investing in the program by his hiring actions

-Not saying The event is not important, but it will not make or break a season or turn away recruits in large numbers...If the team wins consistently people will show up. The LBS game at CA last year in Dec before Christmas was packed and there was a buzz in the stands...SJU was ranked at the time. The fans were great at the last home game at MSG. Winning will cover up most worts in a program. Midnight madness is a cherry on top of a program not the sundae.

This could of, should of, been handle better, but to let one school sponsored party throw a wet blanket on the start of a season seems silly. Maybe this will encourage more students to show up, maybe it won't . In either case I am confident that SJU will make proper adjustments in the future. I am confident that we have an administration that actually cares about the program and will continue to invest in it. I am also confident that this administration will make mistakes and will leave us scratching are heads, but they will make these mistakes because they are trying to make the school better.

This isn't the same old same old, there is a new administration and  they have already done more then the previous regime...Let's show a little patience and faith.  You don't have to agree with ever decision, just don't condemn the  school for a possible mistake.

Cougar O' Malley

« Reply #55 on: October 15, 2015, 12:23:10 PM »
Sorry, but we have fans who complain about cost all the time. The truth is if you want a big time program, you have to pay for it. There is no free ride. We hear complaints on this board because tickets are too costly, exhibition games should cost less, etc. How many on this board belong to the Red-White Club. How many are attending the team dinner tonight at the Metropolitan. How many went to the event a few months ago to introduce Mullin and the staff? We the fans should be supporting the program monetarily. If you don't want to, fine, but please no whining. There is also a logic gap in the argument that midnight madness is so important to recruiting that we should fill the stands. Really? If you think it is so critical, then  spend the 20 bucks and be there. The fact that it may be helpful to have you there, does not mean that therefore you should get in free. Duh!  Agree totally that slam dunk contests should be outlawed!

« Reply #56 on: October 15, 2015, 12:30:11 PM »
fyi, student tickets are indeed free. The students should fill the place. Whether alums are there should not make a difference. And the seven alums who don't want to spend 20 bucks sure aren't going to determine whether we sell out or not.

Tha Kid

« Reply #57 on: October 15, 2015, 12:58:16 PM »
Honestly, given how much more the admin seems to be willing to pay to make this program work, I dont really care if they charge alumni for this event.  Fork over $20 or dont go, but to complain that we were too "mom and pop", and now complain that we arent getting free stuff, seems a little contradictory to me.
"I drink and I know things"

« Reply #58 on: October 15, 2015, 01:11:54 PM »
This is all about the students. They make or break the atmosphere.

Poison

« Reply #59 on: October 15, 2015, 01:15:36 PM »
fyi, student tickets are indeed free. The students should fill the place. Whether alums are there should not make a difference. And the seven alums who don't want to spend 20 bucks sure aren't going to determine whether we sell out or not.

The 7 alums that don't want to spend 20 bucks are a figment of your imagination. It will be much closer to 7 alums who do.