Midnight Madness

• 157 replies

Moose

Re: Midnight Madness
« Reply #120 on: October 16, 2015, 09:56:42 PM »
First impressions...

Lovett - Looks at least twice as quick as anyone we had last year...sick passer....over/under for turnovers set at 3.8. Wouldn't expect much from deep this year but midrange looks true.

Amar - Seriously leaned out.  Great dunks in layup line.  Impressive catch and reverse dunk in transition on late bonce pass.  Still slow.  Hideous three attempt.

Williams - Sloooooooooooow.  Was he hurt?  Was moving around funny.  Makes Amar look like Barry Sanders.

Mussini - True release.  Refreshing on offense.  Really knows the game and is very efficient with no wasted movements.  Might play more than I first thought.

M'Vouika - Didn't set his feet a few early threes.  Looks like he'll be a chucker.  Good arc on shot and nice release.  Still no idea what to expect from him.  Not the quickest kid but keeps his head up in transition and can pass.

Ellison - Got his feet set and squared up on all of his jumpers even the ones that weren't the best choices.  Very controlled kid.  My kind of player.

Sima - Good vision...showed really nice passing ability and use of angles passing and receiving.  Didn't attempt to box out but it's a scrimmage.  Tall.

Yakwe - Just hustles.  Beat Sima on every missed shot.  Sick hops.  I'd pick him on my squad every time. 

Balamou - Half-cozen boards.  Controlled and head always up. Still can't dribble.  Took a lot midrange jumpers...made about half

Johnson - Quiet tonight but had a few nice dribble drives.  Line drive jumper that isn't the prettiest but looks effective and is consistent. 

Holifield - Good looking shot and gets into it nicely

Owens?
Remember who broke the Slice news

Marillac

« Reply #121 on: October 16, 2015, 10:09:14 PM »
First impressions...

Lovett - Looks at least twice as quick as anyone we had last year...sick passer....over/under for turnovers set at 3.8. Wouldn't expect much from deep this year but midrange looks true.

Amar - Seriously leaned out.  Great dunks in layup line.  Impressive catch and reverse dunk in transition on late bonce pass.  Still slow.  Hideous three attempt.

Williams - Sloooooooooooow.  Was he hurt?  Was moving around funny.  Makes Amar look like Barry Sanders.

Mussini - True release.  Refreshing on offense.  Really knows the game and is very efficient with no wasted movements.  Might play more than I first thought.

M'Vouika - Didn't set his feet a few early threes.  Looks like he'll be a chucker.  Good arc on shot and nice release.  Still no idea what to expect from him.  Not the quickest kid but keeps his head up in transition and can pass.

Ellison - Got his feet set and squared up on all of his jumpers even the ones that weren't the best choices.  Very controlled kid.  My kind of player.

Sima - Good vision...showed really nice passing ability and use of angles passing and receiving.  Didn't attempt to box out but it's a scrimmage.  Tall.

Yakwe - Just hustles.  Beat Sima on every missed shot.  Sick hops.  I'd pick him on my squad every time. 

Balamou - Half-cozen boards.  Controlled and head always up. Still can't dribble.  Took a lot midrange jumpers...made about half

Johnson - Quiet tonight but had a few nice dribble drives.  Line drive jumper that isn't the prettiest but looks effective and is consistent. 

Holifield - Good looking shot and gets into it nicely

Owens?

Don't really have a take on him either way.  Needs to put on weight.  Seem super nimble for a kid that tall...like he had a ridiculous growth spurt late in high school..

« Reply #122 on: October 16, 2015, 10:26:03 PM »
The guys I liked the most were Yakwe who as marillac said was always on the move and lovett who was quick like showtime before he got hurt and Ellison seemed real smooth. Didn't really see enough to come away with anything else but I liked those 3. Actually Muussini too. Super controlled

« Reply #123 on: October 16, 2015, 10:49:13 PM »
Marillac, agree almost all the way around but I may have had different expectations or just a different viewpoint but if y'all are anything like me than the more amateur scouting reports the better haha. So if I may.........

Obviously it's just a scrimmage but the kids did give us a relatively good look and played pretty hard during the scrimmage. Owens and Ellison were my surprises but maybe I just had too low of expectations for the two. Ellison looks like an all around big guard. Uses his body very well to shield defender, has nice mechanics on his jumper a nice little handle, isn't one of those big guards who plays smaller, certainly knows how to take advantage of his guard skills on the bigger body. Owens just has way more bounce then I expected for someone his size. I believe it was him that had a real impressive block on lovett, hustled, seemed to be all over the floor.  Crazy long, slim but not frail.  Impressive dunks in warmups.

Not surprising was lovett. Guy is the real deal. Makes everyone look like they're playing in a lower gear. Phenomenal passes. Handles are unreal. Finishes real well amongst the trees at the basket. Jumper looks good. Quick release. He will turn the ball over and might do some things that drive us nuts but he made some moves in that short period of time tonight that I have never seen at this level. Special talent

Mussini just needs an inch of daylight. Quick release, smooth, sets his feet incredibky quickly and most importantly the ball goes through the net very often after leaving his hand haha. Really excited to see him balance lovett offensively. Their games compliment each other very well. I worry about them on the defensive end playing together but they will be fun to watch.

Sima is a big dude and his wing span is crazy. He has good vision and looks to be a good passer for a big which could be a great asset with our shooters and slashers. Would've liked to see some more aggressiveness on the boards and maybe a box out but its a scrimmage so that may be a little much to expect.

Durand Johnson is just a solid lead guard. Will be a great calming influence on the floor when things get a little nuts(which they will).  Shot looked a little flat but he can get to the rack, defend, mid range looked effective.

Yakwe is another special talent.  Knew he was a defensive dynamo but he can certainly explode to the tin offensively. Incredible bounce.  Some of the dunks he was doing during warmups would be cool to see at an NBA layup line, mind blowing for a 17 yr old kid.

Wasn't very impressed with mvouika, just didn't really do much, shot didn't look great, liked to throw up a floater that might have gone in once if I remember correctly. Williams must have been nicked up. He's a big dude but got little time in the scrimmage and wasn't really involved at all.  Balamou did what Felix does. Grabbed some boards, threw up some line drive jumpers. Alibegovich looked to be in great shape, seemed more explosive, think he can do some things to surprise us.  Could be one of those guys who just needed to drop some weight to add a different athletic dimension to his game.

Not sure If I'm forgetting anyone but that's who stood out to me

One last note, I don't want to be involved in the bickering about the price and all that but the place definitely filled in nicely and there o was a great energy in the building.  I am a Mac Miller fan so take this with a grain of salt but I thought he was great. Really cool of him to rock the mully throwback and the players/students/fans seemed to love it which is all that matters. I have either been to or watched every MM the past 5 or 6 years and I think all together this one was probably at the top of the list.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2015, 10:55:54 PM by shaun1345 »

mkras99

« Reply #124 on: October 16, 2015, 11:24:23 PM »
Did Christian Jones play?

« Reply #125 on: October 16, 2015, 11:34:01 PM »

Did he play? He actually looked like a basketball player for most of the game

Marillac

« Reply #126 on: October 16, 2015, 11:35:48 PM »

Really well actually.  Him and Lovett seemed to have very good chemistry.  This is the kind of event that he excels at, though.

QuanMan

« Reply #127 on: October 17, 2015, 12:35:04 AM »
CJ looks like he shed a quick 20 pounds this summer, in peak condition and threw down some acrobatic windmill dunks with ease.

Marcus' talent is elite, the hype is real, we have a legitimate superstar PG, get excited.

Moose has a smooth, effortless release. Pretty jumper. As he physically matures he's going to be great.

Others impressed as well (Malik, Tariq, Elijah, Amar), but what stood out to me most was the overall chemistry of this regime at its infancy. Much like Norm and Lavs' squads, the family atmosphere is there. The roar for Mullin was tremendous, and to see how much the players enjoy his presence was really refreshing. It's nice to see that Zendon was retained, and Mitch in Johnnies apparel. The 2015 banner was the cherry on top.   

Get me to Wagner night already, the best time of the year is almost here! 

Section 3
Section 116

« Reply #128 on: October 17, 2015, 12:36:03 AM »
Its christian Jones time ;)
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #129 on: October 17, 2015, 01:06:03 AM »
Marillac, agree almost all the way around but I may have had different expectations or just a different viewpoint but if y'all are anything like me than the more amateur scouting reports the better haha. So if I may.........

Obviously it's just a scrimmage but the kids did give us a relatively good look and played pretty hard during the scrimmage. Owens and Ellison were my surprises but maybe I just had too low of expectations for the two. Ellison looks like an all around big guard. Uses his body very well to shield defender, has nice mechanics on his jumper a nice little handle, isn't one of those big guards who plays smaller, certainly knows how to take advantage of his guard skills on the bigger body. Owens just has way more bounce then I expected for someone his size. I believe it was him that had a real impressive block on lovett, hustled, seemed to be all over the floor.  Crazy long, slim but not frail.  Impressive dunks in warmups.

Not surprising was lovett. Guy is the real deal. Makes everyone look like they're playing in a lower gear. Phenomenal passes. Handles are unreal. Finishes real well amongst the trees at the basket. Jumper looks good. Quick release. He will turn the ball over and might do some things that drive us nuts but he made some moves in that short period of time tonight that I have never seen at this level. Special talent

Mussini just needs an inch of daylight. Quick release, smooth, sets his feet incredibky quickly and most importantly the ball goes through the net very often after leaving his hand haha. Really excited to see him balance lovett offensively. Their games compliment each other very well. I worry about them on the defensive end playing together but they will be fun to watch.

Sima is a big dude and his wing span is crazy. He has good vision and looks to be a good passer for a big which could be a great asset with our shooters and slashers. Would've liked to see some more aggressiveness on the boards and maybe a box out but its a scrimmage so that may be a little much to expect.

Durand Johnson is just a solid lead guard. Will be a great calming influence on the floor when things get a little nuts(which they will).  Shot looked a little flat but he can get to the rack, defend, mid range looked effective.

Yakwe is another special talent.  Knew he was a defensive dynamo but he can certainly explode to the tin offensively. Incredible bounce.  Some of the dunks he was doing during warmups would be cool to see at an NBA layup line, mind blowing for a 17 yr old kid.

Wasn't very impressed with mvouika, just didn't really do much, shot didn't look great, liked to throw up a floater that might have gone in once if I remember correctly. Williams must have been nicked up. He's a big dude but got little time in the scrimmage and wasn't really involved at all.  Balamou did what Felix does. Grabbed some boards, threw up some line drive jumpers. Alibegovich looked to be in great shape, seemed more explosive, think he can do some things to surprise us.  Could be one of those guys who just needed to drop some weight to add a different athletic dimension to his game.

Not sure If I'm forgetting anyone but that's who stood out to me

One last note, I don't want to be involved in the bickering about the price and all that but the place definitely filled in nicely and there o was a great energy in the building.  I am a Mac Miller fan so take this with a grain of salt but I thought he was great. Really cool of him to rock the mully throwback and the players/students/fans seemed to love it which is all that matters. I have either been to or watched every MM the past 5 or 6 years and I think all together this one was probably at the top of the list.

Lead guard = point guard.  DJ is a wing player. 

« Reply #130 on: October 17, 2015, 07:09:42 AM »
Apologies. I meant more of a steady leader from the guard position. 

ras

« Reply #131 on: October 17, 2015, 10:21:25 AM »
If I'm not mistaken Lovett was  very highly ranked his jr year. Maybe his senior year his eligibility status and his hard work on academics caused his rankings to take a hit. Really hoping to hear good news regarding his eligibility.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2015, 10:22:54 AM by ras »

Poison

« Reply #132 on: October 17, 2015, 10:21:35 AM »
So, was every seat filled?

hnk

« Reply #133 on: October 17, 2015, 11:08:39 AM »
Which of the guys looked like they would get solid minutes on most Big East teams?

Marillac

« Reply #134 on: October 17, 2015, 11:28:49 AM »
A few more takeaways....

I was hoping Johnson could be a Henton-type undersized bruiser for us.  That dream ended quickly.  The kid is a guard through and through.  Made some nice passes, but Felix owned him twice on the glass and not just with hops...he bodied the hell out of him

M'Vouika is much slower than I hoped from his limited highlights.   He looks pretty physical, though, and was more under control than I thought he would  be.  He just has a really slow first step.  He will probably be the wing to play some four instead of Johnson.

Four guys have a nose for the ball that I value almost above everything:  Ellison, Balamou, Yakwe, and Lovett.  A crazy unorganized scrimmage like this is probably the best way to find that out.

Mussini moves fast...it's not about quickness or athletic ability (or lack of it)...he just really pushes the pace.  It seems forced, but it's really similar to Pangos.
If I'm not mistaken Lovett was  very highly ranked his jr year. Maybe his senior year his eligibility status and his hard work on academics caused his rankings to take a hit. Really hoping to hear good news regarding his eligibility.

He was top ten his freshman year and still top 20 as a soph.  Switching schools twice and missing  a lot of AAU hurt his stock.  I'm sure the eligibility concerns affected it as well...the kid had an offer from Kansas as a junior.

He is a phenom.  No other word to describe it.  The only guy that can stop him is him.  The recruiting services also dropped the ball on Ellison. There is no way that kid is not a top 50-75 caliber talent.  Find me five guys in that class with his height that can handle like him.

« Last Edit: October 17, 2015, 11:36:51 AM by Marillac »

ras

« Reply #135 on: October 17, 2015, 11:42:10 AM »
Can watch the replay on Red storm sports site.

« Reply #136 on: October 17, 2015, 11:45:53 AM »
A few more takeaways....

I was hoping Johnson could be a Henton-type undersized bruiser for us.  That dream ended quickly.  The kid is a guard through and through.  Made some nice passes, but Felix owned him twice on the glass and not just with hops...he bodied the hell out of him

M'Vouika is much slower than I hoped from his limited highlights.   He looks pretty physical, though, and was more under control than I thought he would  be.  He just has a really slow first step.  He will probably be the wing to play some four instead of Johnson.

Four guys have a nose for the ball that I value almost above everything:  Ellison, Balamou, Yakwe, and Lovett.  A crazy unorganized scrimmage like this is probably the best way to find that out.

Mussini moves fast...it's not about quickness or athletic ability (or lack of it)...he just really pushes the pace.  It seems forced, but it's really similar to Pangos.

He was top ten his freshman year and still top 20 as a soph.  Switching schools twice and missing  a lot of AAU hurt his stock.  I'm sure the eligibility concerns affected it as well...the kid had an offer from Kansas as a junior.

He is a phenom.  No other word to describe it.  The only guy that can stop him is him.  The recruiting services also dropped the ball on Ellison. There is no way that kid is not a top 50-75 caliber talent.  Find me five guys in that class with his height that can handle like him.

Jungle Dave has been all over Ellison for a long time. Nice call Dave

« Reply #137 on: October 17, 2015, 11:59:22 AM »
My observations:  going to be a lonnnnng year. Will have a very tough time scoring. Other than Lovett and Ellison, everyone else is a work in progress. Think Obeka, Dom, during their freshmen years. Guys are athletic, but skill is in development. Mussini has skill but will be outmuscled and have tough time keeping guys in front of him on defense.

This year is a wash. But future is bright.

« Reply #138 on: October 17, 2015, 01:10:39 PM »
A few more takeaways....

Lovett saw an absence from some rankings because of his reclassification. Whether it be ESPN, Rivals, Scout, etc they only rank kid's once and don't include prep year guys. Lovett flip flopped so much I think guys just dropped off him.

As for Ellison he was out of sight, out of mind when he suffered an injury and missed most of summer. Additionally the difference between 50 and 150 in class of 2015 isn't great. I would find it hard to rank Ellison over some guys but doesn't mean I don't value him or see him surpassing them over time.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

TONYD3

« Reply #139 on: October 17, 2015, 01:56:33 PM »
I only watched about 10 minutes. Not much you can take a way good or bad. Our 3 whipping boys looked the best in my opinion. Amar, Felix, and Jones all looked to be bigger and stronger. Didn't think Lovett was great Also didn't think anyone looked awful. way to many 3's that missed by a lot.