Staff Evaluation

• 203 replies
Re: Staff Evaluation
« Reply #60 on: January 22, 2016, 03:00:23 PM »
The expectations of some people are just insanely unrealistic..

I don't understand why some of you bother at times....

What do you think are realistic expectations?

Slightly better than Hollywood did.  Ncaa bids 3 out of every 5 years plus 1 Ncaa tournament win every decade or so.
I too would take one National Championship Tournament win every ten years although at that rate i would be lucky to see two National Championships.  :)

TONYD3

« Reply #61 on: January 22, 2016, 03:21:20 PM »
We took a bunch of steps back starting over with Mullin. I seem to be the only one who wished we didn't do it. I hope am I wrong. I believe we would be further along this year and next if Lavin stayed. i believe he would have gotten similar talent that Mullin has. Of course the nonsense would have most likely continued. I really enjoyed the last 5 years, however disappointing.

This awful season makes sense to me if Mullin is better. Instead of a dis pointing 5/6 place regular season we finish in to top 3/4. Especially when we have talent. Harrison and pointer were amazing talents . For this big east they should have done more. Hopefully ponds, Ahmed, and Lovett are similar. Just more successful.
The big east semis are an awesome event I expect that we are there year 3 of the Mullin era and most years after that. I expect to win NCAA games. My hope is tha Mullin is much better then Lavin.  I am not sold that he is, YET

Poison

« Reply #62 on: January 22, 2016, 03:34:04 PM »
We took a bunch of steps back starting over with Mullin. I seem to be the only one who wished we didn't do it. I hope am I wrong. I believe we would be further along this year and next if Lavin stayed. i believe he would have gotten similar talent that Mullin has. Of course the nonsense would have most likely continued. I really enjoyed the last 5 years, however disappointing.

This awful season makes sense to me if Mullin is better. Instead of a dis pointing 5/6 place regular season we finish in to top 3/4. Especially when we have talent. Harrison and pointer were amazing talents . For this big east they should have done more. Hopefully ponds, Ahmed, and Lovett are similar. Just more successful.
The big east semis are an awesome event I expect that we are there year 3 of the Mullin era and most years after that. I expect to win NCAA games. My hope is tha Mullin is much better then Lavin.  I am not sold that he is, YET

Lavin wasn't Norm Roberts. I think that is in large part why some of us liked him, and why some of us are upset now. But being better than Norm shouldn't be the bar that St.John's sets its standard to. It's one thing to accept a first NCAA tournament exit. It's another to clearly establish that as your only goal.

The biggest problem with Lavin is that his teams, and the program never had an identity. If you were a top recruit, you bought into his speeches. You had no idea what kind of offense he would run, or what kind of defense they would play, because he didn't know.

Mullin is learning how to coach. And he may become a great coach one day. I was against hiring someone without coaching experience, at first, but he's our coach now, much like in 2004 Norm was our coach, whether we liked it or not. We can get on board and support him, or we can be miserable while he learns when to call a TO during a 12-0 run by Incarnate Word, and when not to.

We've been through lot of coaches since Lou Carnesecca retired. No one has had consistent success. Mullin is a different story for many reasons. Some good, and some bad. To his credit, and his staff's credit, there are two local talents committed to play for St.John's next season. Mullin was brought here to bring the NY back to St.John's. That's a good start, because it seems like Mullin, but recruiting locally, is trying to establish what kind of team he's trying to build. Now, recruits can see what they're signing up with recruits like Ponds and Ahmed already committed. I would like to see the players get after it more, but we should all see that we're seeing more of an effort now than we did in November.

It's impossible to judge a coach that doesn't have a BE, or even D1 player for every position. The thing is, the same was true for Norm Roberts when he was forced to start Hill, Lawrence, Jackson, Gray and Hamilton, and in fairness, Norm had a much bigger uphill climb than Mullin does now.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2016, 03:39:54 PM by Poison »

« Reply #63 on: January 22, 2016, 03:47:20 PM »
Agree that Norm didn't have much to start, either, but Showtime at that time was better than anyone we have this season, and Hamilton (again at that point) probably was too (or on par with Sima).

Lavin wasn't Norm Roberts. I think that is in large part why some of us liked him, and why some of us are upset now. But being better than Norm shouldn't be the bar that St.John's sets its standard to. It's one thing to accept a first NCAA tournament exit. It's another to clearly establish that as your only goal.

The biggest problem with Lavin is that his teams, and the program never had an identity. If you were a top recruit, you bought into his speeches. You had no idea what kind of offense he would run, or what kind of defense they would play, because he didn't know.

Mullin is learning how to coach. And he may become a great coach one day. I was against hiring someone without coaching experience, at first, but he's our coach now, much like in 2004 Norm was our coach, whether we liked it or not. We can get on board and support him, or we can be miserable while he learns when to call a TO during a 12-0 run by Incarnate Word, and when not to.

We've been through lot of coaches since Lou Carnesecca retired. No one has had consistent success. Mullin is a different story for many reasons. Some good, and some bad. To his credit, and his staff's credit, there are two local talents committed to play for St.John's next season. Mullin was brought here to bring the NY back to St.John's. That's a good start, because it seems like Mullin, but recruiting locally, is trying to establish what kind of team he's trying to build. Now, recruits can see what they're signing up with recruits like Ponds and Ahmed already committed. I would like to see the players get after it more, but we should all see that we're seeing more of an effort now than we did in November.

It's impossible to judge a coach that doesn't have a BE, or even D1 player for every position. The thing is, the same was true for Norm Roberts when he was forced to start Hill, Lawrence, Jackson, Gray and Hamilton, and in fairness, Norm had a much bigger uphill climb than Mullin does now.

« Reply #64 on: January 22, 2016, 03:48:54 PM »
TONY you think a lineup of Brandon Sampson, Mussini (assuming we got him, which was a possibility), Felix, Christian Jones and god knows who else would be a better team than what we are currently fielding.  I don't.  Jordan was ineligible and almost certainly gone.  And Obekpa was likely gone too (and even if you add him to the lineup above, we still are the worst team in the Big East).

« Reply #65 on: January 22, 2016, 03:50:01 PM »
Lavin's biggest problem was that he did a horrific job in recruiting the past 2 years, as evidenced by our roster.  Had he recruited as well the past 2 years, or even close to that, he would still be the coach.

« Reply #66 on: January 22, 2016, 04:26:29 PM »
The expectations of some people are just insanely unrealistic..

I don't understand why some of you bother at times....

What do you think are realistic expectations?

Slightly better than Hollywood did.  Ncaa bids 3 out of every 5 years plus 1 Ncaa tournament win every decade or so.
I too would take one National Championship Tournament win every ten years although at that rate i would be lucky to see two National Championships.  :)

You know I meant one first round Ncaa win, right?

ras

« Reply #67 on: January 22, 2016, 04:50:12 PM »

Norm had a bigger uphill climb than Mullin has now because we have good pieces albeit, young and not physically strong yet, and more coming. But he only inherited Jones, Amar and Felix. So I wouldn't say Norm had a bigger uphill climb than when Mullin first came aboard.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2016, 11:17:18 PM by ras »

Poison

« Reply #68 on: January 22, 2016, 05:09:10 PM »

Norm had a bigger uphill climb than Mullin has now because we have good pieces albeit, young and not physically strong yet, and more coming. But he only inherited Jones, Amar and Felix. So I wouldn't say Norm had a bigger uphill climb than when Mullin first came aboard.

Norm was worse at developing talent than he was evaluating it.

His first recruit at St.John's was Cedric Jackson. Who in their right mind thought he had a chance at the NBA? But yes, Norm definitely had a much bigger uphill climb than Mullin did. Bigger than anyone we've ever hired. Obekpa and Jordan had their issues, but they weren't disgusting people.

« Reply #69 on: January 22, 2016, 05:14:54 PM »
I don't believe that Obekpa's or Jordan's shenanigans make them "disgusting people".  It isn't like they sexually assaulted or robbed anyone.  But they were terrible teammates - regardless of whether the players individually liked them, they let D-Lo and Co. down time and time again.  We could have beaten San Diego State with Obekpa.  And Jordan's nonsense likely cost us a tourney bid his freshman year, and made it more difficult last year (if he was invested, we would have won a few more games).  Anyone who thinks they would have lasted with Lavin in place is nuts.

Norm was worse at developing talent than he was evaluating it.

His first recruit at St.John's was Cedric Jackson. Who in their right mind thought he had a chance at the NBA? But yes, Norm definitely had a much bigger uphill climb than Mullin did. Bigger than anyone we've ever hired. Obekpa and Jordan had their issues, but they weren't disgusting people.

TONYD3

« Reply #70 on: January 22, 2016, 05:29:25 PM »
I think Lavin would have been able to field a better team this year. I think Obekpa stays. No matter what anyone else says I think Jordan is here. Do I want to root for Obekpa and Jordan? No! But I certainly don't like possibly going 0-18. And maybe 6-30 in the big east.
I also believe no one on here knows Jordan's actual grades. I also believe Jordan could have gotten himself eligible with the help of the university.
I have no inside info. That is what I believe. I have friends who were back up infielders and relief pitchers  at St. John's. They were helped. Maybe they weren't as poor of students as Jordan . But they also weren't 5 star PG's .
I don't believe Lavin to be a great coach. But he always recruited and his teams were never awful. Not saying a change shouldn't have been made . But not like this. I don't blame Mullin. II don't agree with this season of failure . I don't believe it had to get to this .
I hope our new staff does well. They have brought in good kids. I hope they coach their asses off. I have not seen that. Bad players can be coached.
Next year Iwe aren't supposed to be good. I hope we surprise some people . If the staff is better then Lavin's they will. Year 3 we should be good. Year 4 consittinly good. If not we should have kept the same coach.

« Reply #71 on: January 22, 2016, 05:40:21 PM »
Understand your view, but from what I've read, and from what we've seen over the past 2 years with Jordan, I believe there is no way he would have been here if Lavin was the coach.  His advisor essentially said that he would have gone pro.  And we KNOW he was ineligible for the first semester.  Do you think a kid with Jordan's past, with all of the stuff the past 2 years, would have done the work to be eligible second semester?  No way. 

Better chance Obekpa may have stayed.  But he almost bolted several times during his 3-year tenure.  So I think the view that he would have stayed is pie-in-the-sky as well.

I think Lavin would have been able to field a better team this year. I think Obekpa stays. No matter what anyone else says I think Jordan is here. Do I want to root for Obekpa and Jordan? No! But I certainly don't like possibly going 0-18. And maybe 6-30 in the big east.
I also believe no one on here knows Jordan's actual grades. I also believe Jordan could have gotten himself eligible with the help of the university.
I have no inside info. That is what I believe. I have friends who were back up infielders and relief pitchers  at St. John's. They were helped. Maybe they weren't as poor of students as Jordan . But they also weren't 5 star PG's .
I don't believe Lavin to be a great coach. But he always recruited and his teams were never awful. Not saying a change shouldn't have been made . But not like this. I don't blame Mullin. II don't agree with this season of failure . I don't believe it had to get to this .
I hope our new staff does well. They have brought in good kids. I hope they coach their asses off. I have not seen that. Bad players can be coached.
Next year Iwe aren't supposed to be good. I hope we surprise some people . If the staff is better then Lavin's they will. Year 3 we should be good. Year 4 consittinly good. If not we should have kept the same coach.

Tha Kid

« Reply #72 on: January 22, 2016, 05:41:34 PM »
But he always recruited and his teams were never awful.

Lavin's final UCLA team went 10-19.  His final St. John's team would have had a similar record, had we not hired Mullin to replace him.
"I drink and I know things"

Foad

« Reply #73 on: January 22, 2016, 05:56:58 PM »
Do I call out Alibegivic? He ain't an all star, but he hustles. I'm calling out players that don't hustle. I think that's more than fair—no matter what.

I think that is fair: you have every right to complain about not being entertained by your entertainment dollars. I have been wildly entertained by this crew, but I have a highly developed sense of irony.

MCNPA

« Reply #74 on: January 22, 2016, 06:02:34 PM »

No matter what you think Jordan would not and could not be here,  he failed out by not showing up his second semester.  You can play "earmuffs" all you want..  The, "I don't care what anybody says"  is ridiculous in this case.   Jordan had as much chance of being on the court this season as Malik Sealy ...
« Last Edit: January 22, 2016, 06:03:41 PM by MCNPA »

« Reply #75 on: January 22, 2016, 06:10:30 PM »

Respectfully disagree Tony. The only player for sure we knew was coming was Brandon Sampson. No guarantee on Mussini or Diallo or anyone else.

If Lavin was kept, we would still have Jay Henderson and Myles Stewart to go with Sampson, Felix, Amer, CJ and the locker room tag team of Joey and Adonis De La Rosa. Not a very inspiring unit. Calipari couldn't keep Rysheed here. The kid checked out early his sophomore year. After getting slapped around in the locker room, Obekpa checked out, again. No guarantee he would have been back, especially after sparking up before the NCAAs.

I give Lavin credit for giving the program a ton of national exposure. He had great first two years recruiting. Getting sick, maybe he checked out of recruiting and other than Lavin the only recruiter we had was Tony Chiles.

I've said it before, his preparation for tournament play was atrocious. Robert Morris was inexcusable. Only because Sir Dom hit a winning shot did we beat St Joes the previous year, in the NIT. Nothing from the Big East tournament. We forget it was Mike Dunlop that got the 2011 team in the NCAAs. And, if it wasn't for Mike Repole, we probably would have had Matt Doherty or Seth Greenberg from the "where are they now" category.

Poison

« Reply #76 on: January 22, 2016, 06:48:37 PM »

Respectfully disagree Tony. The only player for sure we knew was coming was Brandon Sampson. No guarantee on Mussini or Diallo or anyone else.

If Lavin was kept, we would still have Jay Henderson and Myles Stewart to go with Sampson, Felix, Amer, CJ and the locker room tag team of Joey and Adonis De La Rosa. Not a very inspiring unit. Calipari couldn't keep Rysheed here. The kid checked out early his sophomore year. After getting slapped around in the locker room, Obekpa checked out, again. No guarantee he would have been back, especially after sparking up before the NCAAs.

I give Lavin credit for giving the program a ton of national exposure. He had great first two years recruiting. Getting sick, maybe he checked out of recruiting and other than Lavin the only recruiter we had was Tony Chiles.

I've said it before, his preparation for tournament play was atrocious. Robert Morris was inexcusable. Only because Sir Dom hit a winning shot did we beat St Joes the previous year, in the NIT. Nothing from the Big East tournament. We forget it was Mike Dunlop that got the 2011 team in the NCAAs. And, if it wasn't for Mike Repole, we probably would have had Matt Doherty or Seth Greenberg from the "where are they now" category.

Seth is probably a better coach than Lavin. Not in the same category as Doherty.

« Reply #77 on: January 22, 2016, 06:53:34 PM »
All of us are better coaches than Lavin from an Xs and Os point of view. After Dunlop left, our in-game strategy nose dived.
Greenberg and Lavin are on television and I'm not sure where Matt Doherty is these days.

Poison

« Reply #78 on: January 22, 2016, 06:56:33 PM »
All of us are better coaches than Lavin from an Xs and Os point of view. After Dunlop left, our in-game strategy nose dived.
Greenberg and Lavin are on television and I'm not sure where Matt Doherty is these days.

I think the Xs and Os improved last year. Lavin was replaced because he had no control over his program. They made the tournament last year. We can't complain about the on the court performance. That wasn't what ruined the season.

« Reply #79 on: January 22, 2016, 07:09:50 PM »
Four seniors, a junior and a five star sophomore can make a lot of technical coaching look better too, And, Whitsell was an improvement over whoever replaced Dunlop.

Like you said, he lost control. Did surviving cancer, and losing his father distract Lavin from the Holy Grail? we may never know.