Big East Tournament

• 186 replies
Re: Big East Tournament
« Reply #60 on: March 12, 2016, 07:56:46 PM »
SH has continued to show they know how to win.  Love em or hate em, Willard doing what he is paid to do..

boo3

« Reply #61 on: March 12, 2016, 07:57:13 PM »
We suck as bad as any team in college hoops and Seton Hall is BE champs....

Wake me when the nightmare ends....

desco80

« Reply #62 on: March 12, 2016, 07:58:48 PM »
Rawle isn't going to be elidgible.  Big difference.  Otherwise I agree.  Whitehead as brought Carrington and Delgado with him.   You gotta keep good recruiting classes together and let them grow up. 

« Reply #63 on: March 12, 2016, 08:01:28 PM »
Rawle isn't going to be elidgible.  Big difference.  Otherwise I agree.  Whitehead as brought Carrington and Delgado with him.   You gotta keep good recruiting classes together and let them grow up. 

And a little coaching doesn't hurt

goredmen

« Reply #64 on: March 12, 2016, 08:03:01 PM »

I mean there has to be a chance he'll be eligible otherwise Arizona wouldn't have went after him so hard. They actually can afford to miss out on a guy like him when we can't. For them it's even worse because other possible bigtime players they would go after would see him committed and see that as a threat to their potential playing time.

« Reply #65 on: March 12, 2016, 08:06:35 PM »

I mean there has to be a chance he'll be eligible otherwise Arizona wouldn't have went after him so hard. They actually can afford to miss out on a guy like him when we can't. For them it's even worse because other possible bigtime players they would go after would see him committed and see that as a threat to their potential playing time.
Rawle's eligibility came into question as soon as it appeared he was slipping thru our fingers. Then comes the we don't need him anyway and finally the old addition by subtraction theory. You should know the routine by now.  :)

« Reply #66 on: March 12, 2016, 08:10:53 PM »
Willard's job was seemingly on the line, so he did what a desperate man would do, he got the kid he needed that he thought would turn it around. I won't give him credit for Whitehead.

However I will give him credit for Carrington and Desi. Lav dropped the ball on Carrington. I remember Chiles recruiting him aggressively at one point and we had strong momentum then it just stopped. Clearly, he would have been a great get. He wouldn't have played as much as he did for us last year, but Lavin could have made it work.

Overall, I would say Seton Hall getting it done with a soph class of local kids basically reflects how bad Lavin was recruiting the last 2 years.
Carrington wanted to play with Whitehead, so whoever got Whitehead also got Carrington.  Whitehead was the one who Willard chaeated to get.  So he does not get credit really for Carrington in my mind.  To me he is just a big cheater.

Can you point me to the rule that Willard violated.  I've tried looking it up and I can't find it.  I know what he did seems slimy but I can find an actual violation.  You've called him out in no uncertain terms as a cheater.  I just can't find the rule that he broke.

Because there isn't one. Good post.
Not such a good post.  The rule clearly stated that you can hire the high school coach of a recruit, but the hire "cannot be a contingency of the commitment".  Now you could never prove this unless the school was stupid enough to writ e the contingency into the contract, but if you really believe it was not a package deal, I don't know what to say.

Why was it already known 8 months before the job opening was even posted that Tiny would be on the staff, for example?  And of all the people in the country that the job could have gone to, why did it go to the high school coach of the All American recruit they had coming in?  I mean come on.  You don';t even suspect foul play? Even Tiny himself was quoted as saying " I asked Coach Lavin why he didn't have a spot for me on his staff".  That was from Tiny himself, after the story that he was given a job on the Seton Hall staff, for the next season, broke.  And you don't even. . . . ."suspect" it was a package deal?

Recruiting rules seem to have been taken down except for the timing of when coaches can see players and visits can take place.  I'll try to see if I can research some articles regarding this sham recruitment.  I've seen a couple of articles, from the Times for example, saying it was OK to do what he did, but those articles don't make any sense.  Post them and they will be torn apart.

Please cite the specific rule number.  I downloaded the NCAA recruiting bylaws and I can't find a violation.  I don't care about "articles regarding this sham recruitment."  I'm asking for a specific rule number.

Here's what I found: (I apologize for the length)
11.4.1 High School, Preparatory School or Two-Year College Coach. An institution may not em- ploy a high school, preparatory school or two-year college coach who remains a coach in the same sport at the high school, preparatory school or two-year college.  is provision does not preclude employment of a high school, preparatory school or two-year college coach in a di erent sport. Men’s and women’s teams in the same sport are considered di erent sports for purposes of this legislation. Men’s and women’s teams in the same sport are consid- ered di erent sports even if an athlete from the opposite gender is playing on a high school, preparatory school or two-year college men’s or women’s team, provided the team is classi ed as a separate team (as opposed to a “mixed” team) by the appropriate institution or the state high school, preparatory school or two-year college governing body. (See Bylaw 13.12.2.2 for regulations relating to the employment of high school, preparatory school or two- year college coaches in institutional camps or clinics.) (Revised: 1/10/91, 3/16/07, 1/16/10)
11.4.1.1 Contract for Future Employment. An institution is permitted to enter into a contractual agree- ment with a high school, preparatory school or two-year college coach for an employment opportunity that begins with the next academic year, provided the employment contract with the member institution is not con- tingent upon the enrollment of a prospective student-athlete and the coach does not begin any coaching duties (e.g., recruiting, selection of coaching sta ) for the member institution while remaining associated with the high school, preparatory school or two-year college.
11.4.2 Individual Associated with a Prospective Student-Athlete—Men’s Basketball. In men’s basketball, during a two-year period before a prospective student-athlete’s anticipated enrollment and a two-year period after the prospective student-athlete’s actual enrollment, an institution shall not employ (or en- ter into a contract for future employment with) an individual associated with the prospective student-athlete in any athletics department noncoaching sta  position or in a strength and conditioning sta  position. (Adopted: 1/16/10; a contract signed before 10/29/09 may be honored, Revised: 6/17/11)
11.4.2.1 Application. A violation of Bylaw 11.4.2 occurs if an individual associated with a prospective stu- dent-athlete (see Bylaw 13.02.17) is employed by the institution and, at the time of employment, a student- athlete who enrolled at the institution in the previous two years (and remains enrolled at the institution) was a prospective student-athlete by which the individual meets the de nition of an individual associated with a prospective student-athlete. A violation of Bylaw 11.4.2 also occurs if an individual associated with a prospec- tive student-athlete is employed and, within two years after such employment, a prospective student-athlete by which the individual meets the de nition of an individual associated with a prospective student-athlete enrolls as a full-time student in a regular academic term at the institution. In either case, the student-athlete becomes ineligible for intercollegiate competition unless eligibility is restored by the Committee on Student-Athlete Re- instatement. (Adopted: 6/20/13)

The rule forbids hiring the Individual associated with the student athlete for a non-coaching position.  Tiny was given an assistant coach position.  That is permissible.  This has been discussed on these boards ad nauseum.  Yet, you make categorical and absolute statements without the ability to provide anything to substantiate your accusations.

I am not a Willard or Seton Hall fan and I hated how the Whitehead recruiting saga unfolded.  But, come on!  Don't make such inflammatory allegations if you don't know what you are talking about.  I am not trying to attack you.  I thought you might know something and that I might be wrong.  But that doesn't appear to be the case.  I just want to set the record straight.

« Last Edit: March 12, 2016, 08:12:20 PM by simplyred »

« Reply #67 on: March 12, 2016, 08:44:40 PM »
Easy with this. Willard was a JOKE for 5 years. He inherited a situation far better than what our staff got. And they didn't make the tourney for 5 years. They are on a great run but, as I've said repeatedly, if we have 5 years like Willards first 5, this board will combust.

If you are going to praise the Hall right now as a SJU fan you better have lots of patience for what this staff is taking over, and be pleased with incremental process. Otherwise you are a hypocrite.

SH has continued to show they know how to win.  Love em or hate em, Willard doing what he is paid to do..

hnk

« Reply #68 on: March 12, 2016, 08:48:44 PM »
We lost to them by a point a few days ago.

« Reply #69 on: March 12, 2016, 08:49:47 PM »
Easy with this. Willard was a JOKE for 5 years. He inherited a situation far better than what our staff got. And they didn't make the tourney for 5 years. They are on a great run but, as I've said repeatedly, if we have 5 years like Willards first 5, this board will combust.

If you are going to praise the Hall right now as a SJU fan you better have lots of patience for what this staff is taking over, and be pleased with incremental process. Otherwise you are a hypocrite.

Difference is the story with Willard is he hated recruiting and wasn't getting the players. Now has talent and is winning. Everyone says we have brought in two good classes in a row so we have the talent. Should win at Hall's rate when the new class are sophomores not 5 years down the road.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2016, 08:50:26 PM by Celtics11 »

« Reply #70 on: March 12, 2016, 09:17:17 PM »
Part of his job is recruiting. Hate or not he knew he needed players to win. He failed miserably on that front - despite inheriting talent - until he brought on Antigua and Tiny. If Chris and Co failed to recruit his first few years, would we be giving them a pass. Please. Anyone who wants to praise Willard now - and he deserves it - shouldn't say word one about our staff until after 5 years.

« Reply #71 on: March 12, 2016, 09:29:20 PM »
Part of his job is recruiting. Hate or not he knew he needed players to win. He failed miserably on that front - despite inheriting talent - until he brought on Antigua and Tiny. If Chris and Co failed to recruit his first few years, would we be giving them a pass. Please. Anyone who wants to praise Willard now - and he deserves it - shouldn't say word one about our staff until after 5 years.
But you were probably killing Willard for most of those 5 years.

MCNPA

« Reply #72 on: March 12, 2016, 09:30:49 PM »
Regardless how Willard got there, he got there.  It's good for local basketball if Seton Hall actually sustains some success and becomes a reasonably good draw at MSG over the coming years.  I hope they win a game or two in the tourney, along with some of our other member schools.  Whatever wins our league can grab from now on raises the level of the whole league.  Whitehead is peaking at the right time, and the Hall has an effective bench as well. 

paultzman

« Reply #73 on: March 12, 2016, 09:32:13 PM »
Regardless how Willard got there, he got there.  It's good for local basketball if Seton Hall actually sustains some success and becomes a reasonably good draw at MSG over the coming years.  I hope they win a game or two in the tourney, along with some of our other member schools.  Whatever wins our league can grab from now on raises the level of the whole league.  Whitehead is peaking at the right time, and the Hall has an effective bench as well. 

+1

« Reply #74 on: March 12, 2016, 09:40:31 PM »
Agreed.

« Reply #75 on: March 12, 2016, 09:56:06 PM »
Killing him?  No, I was happy he was running a subpar program.

But you were probably killing Willard for most of those 5 years.

desco80

« Reply #76 on: March 12, 2016, 11:06:42 PM »

What big recruit is he scarring away by signing in March?
There aren't many reasons guys of his caliber are unsigned this late.  Either they are waiting on a coaching decision (will he be fired) or they have to show coaches grades. 

« Reply #77 on: March 12, 2016, 11:11:29 PM »
Willard's job was seemingly on the line, so he did what a desperate man would do, he got the kid he needed that he thought would turn it around. I won't give him credit for Whitehead.

However I will give him credit for Carrington and Desi. Lav dropped the ball on Carrington. I remember Chiles recruiting him aggressively at one point and we had strong momentum then it just stopped. Clearly, he would have been a great get. He wouldn't have played as much as he did for us last year, but Lavin could have made it work.

Overall, I would say Seton Hall getting it done with a soph class of local kids basically reflects how bad Lavin was recruiting the last 2 years.
Carrington wanted to play with Whitehead, so whoever got Whitehead also got Carrington.  Whitehead was the one who Willard chaeated to get.  So he does not get credit really for Carrington in my mind.  To me he is just a big cheater.

Can you point me to the rule that Willard violated.  I've tried looking it up and I can't find it.  I know what he did seems slimy but I can find an actual violation.  You've called him out in no uncertain terms as a cheater.  I just can't find the rule that he broke.

Because there isn't one. Good post.
Not such a good post.  The rule clearly stated that you can hire the high school coach of a recruit, but the hire "cannot be a contingency of the commitment".  Now you could never prove this unless the school was stupid enough to writ e the contingency into the contract, but if you really believe it was not a package deal, I don't know what to say.

Why was it already known 8 months before the job opening was even posted that Tiny would be on the staff, for example?  And of all the people in the country that the job could have gone to, why did it go to the high school coach of the All American recruit they had coming in?  I mean come on.  You don';t even suspect foul play? Even Tiny himself was quoted as saying " I asked Coach Lavin why he didn't have a spot for me on his staff".  That was from Tiny himself, after the story that he was given a job on the Seton Hall staff, for the next season, broke.  And you don't even. . . . ."suspect" it was a package deal?

Recruiting rules seem to have been taken down except for the timing of when coaches can see players and visits can take place.  I'll try to see if I can research some articles regarding this sham recruitment.  I've seen a couple of articles, from the Times for example, saying it was OK to do what he did, but those articles don't make any sense.  Post them and they will be torn apart.

Please cite the specific rule number.  I downloaded the NCAA recruiting bylaws and I can't find a violation.  I don't care about "articles regarding this sham recruitment."  I'm asking for a specific rule number.

Here's what I found: (I apologize for the length)
11.4.1 High School, Preparatory School or Two-Year College Coach. An institution may not em- ploy a high school, preparatory school or two-year college coach who remains a coach in the same sport at the high school, preparatory school or two-year college.  is provision does not preclude employment of a high school, preparatory school or two-year college coach in a di erent sport. Men’s and women’s teams in the same sport are considered di erent sports for purposes of this legislation. Men’s and women’s teams in the same sport are consid- ered di erent sports even if an athlete from the opposite gender is playing on a high school, preparatory school or two-year college men’s or women’s team, provided the team is classi ed as a separate team (as opposed to a “mixed” team) by the appropriate institution or the state high school, preparatory school or two-year college governing body. (See Bylaw 13.12.2.2 for regulations relating to the employment of high school, preparatory school or two- year college coaches in institutional camps or clinics.) (Revised: 1/10/91, 3/16/07, 1/16/10)
11.4.1.1 Contract for Future Employment. An institution is permitted to enter into a contractual agree- ment with a high school, preparatory school or two-year college coach for an employment opportunity that begins with the next academic year, provided the employment contract with the member institution is not con- tingent upon the enrollment of a prospective student-athlete and the coach does not begin any coaching duties (e.g., recruiting, selection of coaching sta ) for the member institution while remaining associated with the high school, preparatory school or two-year college.
11.4.2 Individual Associated with a Prospective Student-Athlete—Men’s Basketball. In men’s basketball, during a two-year period before a prospective student-athlete’s anticipated enrollment and a two-year period after the prospective student-athlete’s actual enrollment, an institution shall not employ (or en- ter into a contract for future employment with) an individual associated with the prospective student-athlete in any athletics department noncoaching sta  position or in a strength and conditioning sta  position. (Adopted: 1/16/10; a contract signed before 10/29/09 may be honored, Revised: 6/17/11)
11.4.2.1 Application. A violation of Bylaw 11.4.2 occurs if an individual associated with a prospective stu- dent-athlete (see Bylaw 13.02.17) is employed by the institution and, at the time of employment, a student- athlete who enrolled at the institution in the previous two years (and remains enrolled at the institution) was a prospective student-athlete by which the individual meets the de nition of an individual associated with a prospective student-athlete. A violation of Bylaw 11.4.2 also occurs if an individual associated with a prospec- tive student-athlete is employed and, within two years after such employment, a prospective student-athlete by which the individual meets the de nition of an individual associated with a prospective student-athlete enrolls as a full-time student in a regular academic term at the institution. In either case, the student-athlete becomes ineligible for intercollegiate competition unless eligibility is restored by the Committee on Student-Athlete Re- instatement. (Adopted: 6/20/13)

The rule forbids hiring the Individual associated with the student athlete for a non-coaching position.  Tiny was given an assistant coach position.  That is permissible.  This has been discussed on these boards ad nauseum.  Yet, you make categorical and absolute statements without the ability to provide anything to substantiate your accusations.

I am not a Willard or Seton Hall fan and I hated how the Whitehead recruiting saga unfolded.  But, come on!  Don't make such inflammatory allegations if you don't know what you are talking about.  I am not trying to attack you.  I thought you might know something and that I might be wrong.  But that doesn't appear to be the case.  I just want to set the record straight.
Sorry for the delay. Saturday is a busy day with the kids. Missed much of the Saturday games this year because of this.

I'm not sure you read my post carefully enough. I want to set the record straight now.   I was not making categorical statements without providing anything to substantiate my accusations.  My post is contained within yours.  You posted article 11.4.1.1.  within your text.  This states, just as I said. "An institution is allowed to enter into a contractual agreement with a [high school coach of a recruit] provided the contract is not contingent on the enrollment of the [recruit].  Then I went on to say, "Now you could never prove this unless the school was stupid enough to write the contingency into the contract, but if you really believe it was not a package deal, I don't know what to say".  This is what I posted, you can check above.

Everybody here seems to agree it was a package deal because, as you say, it has been discussed ad nauseum.  What there does not seem to be is the knowledge that that quid pro quo is against regulations.   Heck, you even said it was slimy.  And why? Well because the hire was contingent on the commitment as I said.

I apologize for not posting the rule again. I thought people would trust I did my research. (I did it two years ago, and posted it on another board I think).  I was going to do it again for this board, but you beat me to it.  I was able to remember the gist of the language though. i.e. the contract cannot be contingent on the commitment.

Now that brings us to the issue of why I say that there was a package deal.  If you check out the second paragraph of my post above, I outline some of the reasons why I think it was.  Why Kevin Willard is a cheater who is now basking in the glory of a Big East championship.

And why Lavin is now relegated to the ranks of goofy sideline reporters.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2016, 12:23:02 AM by WillieG »

« Reply #78 on: March 12, 2016, 11:40:18 PM »
Anyone who wants to praise Willard now - and he deserves it
Willard doesn't deserve jack.

« Reply #79 on: March 13, 2016, 12:27:28 AM »

Bingo!  Many on this board would've gone ballistic. 

Not to mention, this doesn't mean it'll be sustained success, although they're currently riding high.  If they're able to catapult their program from this, then the hiring of Morton and Antigua to land players paid off.  Otherwise, this season could be just a brief, albeit successful, blip on the radar.