Maurice Harkless - SF - South Kent - Forest Hills, NY - ST. JOHN'S

• 504 replies
Re: Maurice Harkless - SF - South Kent - Forest Hills, NY - ST. JOHN'S
« Reply #440 on: August 06, 2011, 05:04:08 PM »
If this was a few years ago we'd all be posting about him as if he's a program-changer.

LOL   No doubt about it!     

« Reply #441 on: August 06, 2011, 06:37:44 PM »
If this was a few years ago we'd all be posting about him as if he's a program-changer.

LOL   No doubt about it!   

...and GOD forbid anybody else on this board had disagreed with you at that time that one recruit/Harkless by himself would be a program changer.

Moose

« Reply #442 on: August 07, 2011, 05:29:47 PM »
STJ Basketball Twitter posted the player numbers-

1- Greene
3- Gift
4- Moe
5- Pelle
10- Nuri
11- DeAngelo
14- Jakarr
15- Dom
22- Amir
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #443 on: August 09, 2011, 02:30:57 PM »
I would think most of the guys can get whatever numbers they want considering Stith is only returning player.  I've seen pretty much all the recruits play in person and only conflict is Pelle wore 4 like Harkless.  So Pelle would be looking for new number.

Greene 1
Harkless 4
Sampson 14
DeAngelo 11
Gift 34
Pelle ?
Amir 22
Dom 23
Nuri ? (I thought he wore like 10 or 12 in the games I watched online)
They cannot choose any of our numerous retired numbers. ;) ;) ;)

« Reply #444 on: August 13, 2011, 02:08:24 PM »
Caught Mo playing today at West 4th Street high school division championship. He played with Mike Taylor and Kelvin Amayo. The other team had Malik Nichols and a bunch of kids I didn't recognize and that were not high major talent. Anyway, Mo's team lost. They had a 12 point lead in the 2nd half and blew it.

I left mildly disappointed in Mo's effort. He needs to turn it up. He kind of coasts on his natural talent, but he didn't assert himself today like a player of his caliber and skill should. Malik Nichols doesn't have the ability Mo has, yet he was the best player on the court today. Nichols plays hard, attacks the basket fearlessly. Would I trade Mo for Nichols? Not a chance, but Nichols gets a lot out his talent by playing hard. Mo needs to learn that.

On the plus side, he's def gotten thicker. He's very comfortable handling the ball and making the right pass. Looks like he's a little to unselfish sometimes. Shot looked very smooth but didn't hit many from outside. Looking forward to his game growing, but he better start bringing it all the time.

A side note, West 4th is crazy small, so to be fair, it's tough for a kid of Mo's length to really operate because the room just isn't there to do so.

Moose

« Reply #445 on: August 13, 2011, 02:13:08 PM »
Caught Mo playing today at West 4th Street high school division championship. He played with Mike Taylor and Kelvin Amayo. The other team had Malik Nichols and a bunch of kids I didn't recognize and that were not high major talent. Anyway, Mo's team lost. They had a 12 point lead in the 2nd half and blew it.

I left mildly disappointed in Mo's effort. He needs to turn it up. He kind of coasts on his natural talent, but he didn't assert himself today like a player of his caliber and skill should. Malik Nichols doesn't have the ability Mo has, yet he was the best player on the court today. Nichols plays hard, attacks the basket fearlessly. Would I trade Mo for Nichols? Not a chance, but Nichols gets a lot out his talent by playing hard. Mo needs to learn that.

On the plus side, he's def gotten thicker. He's very comfortable handling the ball and making the right pass. Looks like he's a little to unselfish sometimes. Shot looked very smooth but didn't hit many from outside. Looking forward to his game growing, but he better start bringing it all the time.

A side note, West 4th is crazy small, so to be fair, it's tough for a kid of Mo's length to really operate because the room just isn't there to do so.

Frankly I don't want Moe overly exerting himself at West 4th street in the middle of August.  And I wouldnt be shocked if Lavin told all the kids to relax in the summer.
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #446 on: August 13, 2011, 02:24:10 PM »
Summer league ball is for keeping your wind. W/L and stats are pretty insignificant. The fact that you could see his natural talent shining through is the key component.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

MCNPA

« Reply #447 on: August 13, 2011, 02:27:11 PM »

Fwiw mo posted on his twitter today that he doesn't remember when has played that badly, I am assuming in reference to that game.  You seem to have caught him in a bad game and he knows it.  Last week mo dropped 30 or 40 points in a game at west 4th.  I think you just caught him in his self-proclaimed worst game ever.

ras

« Reply #448 on: August 13, 2011, 02:31:27 PM »
We have so many talented SFs,if he doesnt play hard, he will play less minutes, although I am not worried.

« Reply #449 on: August 13, 2011, 02:44:58 PM »
Summer league ball is for keeping your wind. W/L and stats are pretty insignificant. The fact that you could see his natural talent shining through is the key component.

Look, I'm not going to make a big deal out of it. I don't know where you grew up, but I grew up in the city, and when I played in youth summer leagues, I wanted to win. That's just me. I like to compete, and so did all the kids I played against.  It was the championship game of West 4th, he didn't go there to just get a little running in. If that was his mentality then he should have went to the gym and worked out on his own. You playing in a championship game, you should want to win.

crgreen

« Reply #450 on: August 13, 2011, 04:45:15 PM »

Look, I'm not going to make a big deal out of it. I don't know where you grew up, but I grew up in the city, and when I played in youth summer leagues, I wanted to win. That's just me. I like to compete, and so did all the kids I played against.  It was the championship game of West 4th, he didn't go there to just get a little running in. If that was his mentality then he should have went to the gym and worked out on his own. You playing in a championship game, you should want to win.

NCAA rules have limited the kids time with the staff.  That'll change in the coming weeks.   I'm guessing some serious face time with  Rico and Dunlap will change any of our players inclinations to "coast"....

Logen

« Reply #451 on: August 13, 2011, 05:13:18 PM »

Also wouldn't make a big deal but I agree with you 100%. If you play, play hard. Nothing to be gained by coasting including reducing your risk of getting hurt. Just a general comment though about competing, not a comment about Harkless.

MCNPA

« Reply #453 on: August 14, 2011, 09:10:13 AM »
Can't read the article on my iPad without the app.  Can anybody post it? Thanks...

« Reply #454 on: August 14, 2011, 09:37:44 AM »
Can't read the article on my iPad without the app.  Can anybody post it? Thanks...

Maurice Harkless is hoping the next time he takes the court in the New York City will be a better showing in his mind than his last as a high-school player.
The former Forest Hills star and St. John’s University signee scored 18 points, grabbed seven rebounds and dished out four assists for Bedford YMCA in a disappointing, 70-66 loss to Positive Direction in the boys high school championship game at West 4th Saturday afternoon. Harkless still felt he could have done more even in a game where he did plenty. He felt he defended, but never found his shooting touch." According to Harkless " I think the most disappointing thing to me personally was not playing well in front of that guy on that posts on the St Johns websites SJUHOOPNUT. To be honest it kind of distracted me. I haven't been that nervous since Coach Lavin came to me the first time. The word is all over the streets that when SJUHOOPNUT comes to see you play you better bring it or else you are going to read about it all over the internet. "

« Last Edit: August 14, 2011, 09:39:06 AM by mjmaherjr »

MCNPA

« Reply #455 on: August 14, 2011, 09:50:28 AM »

Maurice Harkless is hoping the next time he takes the court in the New York City will be a better showing in his mind than his last as a high-school player.
The former Forest Hills star and St. John’s University signee scored 18 points, grabbed seven rebounds and dished out four assists for Bedford YMCA in a disappointing, 70-66 loss to Positive Direction in the boys high school championship game at West 4th Saturday afternoon. Harkless still felt he could have done more even in a game where he did plenty. He felt he defended, but never found his shooting touch." According to Harkless " I think the most disappointing thing to me personally was not playing well in front of that guy on that posts on the St Johns websites SJUHOOPNUT. To be honest it kind of distracted me. I haven't been that nervous since Coach Lavin came to me the first time. The word is all over the streets that when SJUHOOPNUT comes to see you play you better bring it or else you are going to read about it all over the internet. "

Lol

ras

« Reply #456 on: August 14, 2011, 10:34:01 AM »
These kids better get used to it. SJHoopnut is nothing , They are going to be playing in front of tthe NY and national media.

« Reply #457 on: August 14, 2011, 09:12:51 PM »
Mau throwing down a windmill at Taffner Fieldhouse:

http://www.twitvid.com/5PRND

« Reply #458 on: August 18, 2011, 06:43:48 PM »
From Kris Johnson Twitter:

"Worked out Maurice Harkless again, his jumper is wet"

« Reply #459 on: August 18, 2011, 07:26:02 PM »
Mau throwing down a windmill at Taffner Fieldhouse:

http://www.twitvid.com/5PRND